Where was Jesus for the three days between his death and resurrection?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 21, 2020
Its late, I'm tired, and this is just about as good a synopsis as any.....

What does the Bible say about soul sleep? | GotQuestions.org

“Soul sleep” is a belief that after a person dies, his/her soul “sleeps” until the resurrection and final judgment. The concept of “soul sleep” is not biblical. When the Bible describes a person “sleeping” in relation to death (Luke 8:52; 1 Corinthians 15:6), it does not mean literal sleep. Sleeping is just a way to describe death because a dead body appears to be asleep. The moment we die, we face the judgment of God (Hebrews 9:27). For believers, to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord (2 Corinthians 5:6-8; Philippians 1:23). For unbelievers, death means everlasting punishment in hell (Luke 16:22-23).

Until the final resurrection, though, there is a temporary heaven—paradise (Luke 23:43; 2 Corinthians 12:4) and a temporary hell—Hades (Revelation 1:18; 20:13-14). As can be clearly seen in Luke 16:19-31, neither in paradise nor in Hades are people sleeping. It could be said, though, that a person’s body is “sleeping” while his soul is in paradise or Hades. At the resurrection, this body is “awakened” and transformed into the everlasting body a person will possess for eternity, whether in heaven or hell. Those who were in paradise will be sent to the new heavens and new earth (Revelation 21:1). Those who were in Hades will be thrown into the lake of fire (Revelation 20:11-15). These are the final, eternal destinations of all people—based entirely on whether or not a person trusted in Jesus Christ for salvation.

Present-day defenders of soul sleep include the Seventh Day Adventist church, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Christadelphians, and others.
Matt Slick believes in the "immortal soul." What else would you expect him to say? He runs an extremely popular website. That does not mean he's right on everything.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
They are right there. Are you blind? Oh, yes, obviously you are.
Sure.....my eyes are not what they used to be. But I did not fail to see this verse.

Luk 23:43
And Jesus said to him, “Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise.”

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Jhn 5:28
Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
Jhn 5:29
And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

John 5:28-29
:)

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Sure.....my eyes are not what they used to be. But I did not fail to see this verse.

And Jesus said to him, “Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise.”
So? That does not prove an immortal soul. It proves those who believe are saved. From? The second death.

Dec 21, 2020

Ah yes... One of the "immortal soul" proof texts. The comma is in the wrong place.

And Jesus said to him, “Assuredly, I say to you today, you will be with Me in Paradise.”

Jesus was speaking emphatically, he wanted the thief to know that he meant what he said, that the thief will indeed be saved. In our vernacular, we might say something like "I'm telling you right now that you will be with me in Paradise."

Vindicator

Nov 11, 2021
They are disobedient after all.
You didn't provide an exegesis, which means you can kinda skirt around flaws in your interpretation being proven out. But I never get one, so it is what it is. I will deal with your statements on individual verses instead.

About the above, is it not a fallacy to think that only angels can sin, and therefore the passage could not therefore be dealing with men?
Denying, discounting or ignoring the intentional connection to the "days of Noah" is poor exegesis to say the least.
That has specifically to do with the context of WHY Peter was pointing out the eight souls who were saved, which is why I wanted your exegesis of the entire passage.
And as I said several times before, it is ludicrous to think that Jesus is proclaiming to human souls who died EXCLUSIVELY in the flood and not ALL souls up to His own time.
That's not the argument I am making, however.
Is Sheol compartmentalized into time eras as you think? Not a chance.
Again, I do not think that, nor am I proposing it. You would need to address my actual argument, not simply disprove something I'm not saying and not arguing for.
No, the connection to the days of Noah and the flood and the JUDGEMENT of the flood can only mean one specific group is being marked out: pre-flood fallen angels who God cast into the Tartarus prison in chains for future judgement.
Again, what is your exegesis of the entire passage of 1 Peter 3:17-22?

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
As do most here on CC. The wise ones anyways.
Wise people do not deny and contradict plain-as-day Scripture verses. You know?

Such as: God alone is immortal.

The whole teaching of Scripture is that life is in Christ alone, because He is life.

Those not found in Him after the resurrection and judgment of all at the end of this age pass into the 2nd death.

They will not be sleeping, or weeping.

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
Bipartite beings are either living souls or dead souls, hence since there is the phrase 'the souls of the dead,' and so there is the souls of the living. Up until the time of the final judgement, which will be either to the resurrection of life, or, if you will, the second life or the resurrection to the second death. Until then, of the saved it is said, "though they die they shall live.' That is they will be raised again to life eternal, i.e. they are "as good as alive.' if the Lord's promise of the resurrection is sure, and it is. On the other hand, of the wicked it is said, "though they live they are dead.' That is, they are as good as dead, for the same reason. But they, the two groups, are all the same after dying once, "for it is appointment for men to die once, and then the resurrection,' that they 'sleep,' or are in a state of... what would I call it... someone knows the word I'm wanting...

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
It disproves soul sleep. Somebody tell @VARob
Oy. So being with someone somewhere means they must be awake? Wow. I guess you have never slept with anyone .:rolleyes:

1 Corinthians 15:17-18 plus 1 Thessalonians 4:14

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
...hiatus, maybe is the word I'm wanting from above. Death has, or will have, a hold on all of us, saint or sinner, until Jesus' return to demand death and hell, the sea, etc., give up all the dead.

Vindicator

Nov 11, 2021
Oy. So being with someone somewhere means they must be awake? Wow. I guess you have never slept with anyone .:rolleyes:
Oucheth. I would refer to that as a low blow, Lol.

Hello, sister. Trying to make my way back around to this forum again. Nice to see some of the old faces. As I remember it, CV5 was someone I was generally in agreement with on Charismatic issues, only we seem to be getting nowhere on this one.

Just thought I'd say hello again, and... maybe to have a little mercy , Lol.

Blessings in Christ, and good to see you are still around.
- V

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Oucheth. I would refer to that as a low blow, Lol.

Hello, sister. Trying to make my way back around to this forum again. Nice to see some of the old faces again. As I remember it, CV5 was someone I was generally in agreement with on Charismatic issues, only we seem to getting nowhere on this one.

Just thought I'd say hello again, and... maybe to have a little mercy , Lol.

Blessings in Christ, and good to see you are still around.
- V
cv5 has decried the lack of chutzpah in people's responses. So I make an effort to give him some...

Since, being with Jesus in death does not disprove what he claimed it did in the slightest.

In fact his claim was just another logical fallacy.

Nice to see you back again!

Thank You! God Bless You
:)

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
You didn't provide an exegesis, which means you can kinda skirt around flaws in your interpretation being proven out. But I never get one, so it is what it is. I will deal with your statements on individual verses instead.

About the above, is it not a fallacy to think that only angels can sin, and therefore the passage could not therefore be dealing with men?

That has specifically to do with the context of WHY Peter was pointing out the eight souls who were saved, which is why I wanted your exegesis of the entire passage.

That's not the argument I am making, however.

Again, I do not think that, nor am I proposing it. You would need to address my actual argument, not simply disprove something I'm not saying and not arguing for.

Again, what is your exegesis of the entire passage of 1 Peter 3:17-22?
I remaining completely unconvinced of your pretentions and worse......utterly unimpressed by your efforts in opposition.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
So blood talks?

Do you know what a figure of speech is?
"to God all are alive" - - I know what an idiom is when man says something, but Genesis 4:10 is God speaking, and He knows what He is saying, and it is always absolute truth.

Vindicator

Nov 11, 2021
cv5 has decried the lack of chutzpah in people's responses. So I make an effort to give him some...
LoL. Nothing like a little chutzpah, I always say...

Btw, I actually agree with him about soul sleep, but I would never argue so vehemently with such a pretty face. Especially one that was so...

purple. I'm sorry. Magenta, Lol..

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Lazarus was raised from the dead.
Then Lazarus did not cease to exist, but the body of Lazarus was separated from Lazarus and then reunited.

Otherwise only a new creation was created and given lying memories of Lazarus and deceived into believing it was Lazarus.

Vindicator

Nov 11, 2021
I remaining completely unconvinced of your pretentions and worse......utterly unimpressed by your efforts in opposition.
You don't even know what my "pretentions" are, LoL.

Man, this place is about as Wild West as the nightmare I fled from. Is there any way to throw a white flag, and maybe start this thread over? Lol.