Where will you spend eternity?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Aug 25, 2023
Where will you spend eternity?.
It is important to understand that salvation is "not of works"

Here is a list of works which would prevent salvation if someone were counting on these as saving them or helping in there salvation.

water baptism
being good enough
doing enough good works to pay for sins
infant baptism
confirmation
holy communion
confession
going to church
being a member of a church
saying prayers
any sacrament
observing any holy days

Aug 25, 2023
Does make one wonder how did we ever get this far. Well after Christ rose then decades later they still only had the Torah. They didn't add Eph, Col, Cor, James, 1st John. No, gee how did they get saved back then without all these "if" and "buts" and all the hoops to jump through.

See some today teach only what they have been taught. For some its not easy to get saved they need proof you know your bad a sinner evil wicked you are. You can't just come to Christ (hmm seems if they do He draws them) and get saved. Wait.. I didn't do some of these things the OP said. Never talked about my past or believed I had sinned. Haha.. praise God "its a FREE GIFT...only if".

Have faith that He finds them He saves them not us. We sure can but so many stumbling blocks before the lost when its so easy to be saved. We just can't trust GOD on this. Some just can't believe can't trust what He said. Just saying John 3:16.. that's a seed that He waters and grows. its shaper then any two edged sword. His word is alive it cuts right to the heart. IF we had the faith to just know this and say only this.. His presence would be there and they just know how unrighteous they are and how they need Him with out one word.

We get in His way. Did I miss "and this is why I believe this". No the OP posted as if its fact. The verse are but he like we do every day add our own touch to it. Its good news...its a free gift with out any ifs or buts.
Well I had sinned quite a bit. Pretty bad stuff too. God the Father drew me to His crucified Son. But the last stumbling block for me was not understanding the phrase "not of works".

Aug 25, 2023
But God has revealed it to us by the Spirit. The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God. (1 Cor 2:10)
Great passage.

10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.
11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? but we have the mind of Christ. - 2 Cor 2:10-16

Aug 25, 2023
Faith and works are mutually exclusive.

1 What shall we say then that Abraham our father, as pertaining to the flesh, hath found?
2 For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God.
3 For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.
4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.
5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.
6 Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works,
7 Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.
8 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.
Romans 4:1-8

Aug 25, 2023
Works for salvation prevent salvation and must be repented of. We are not under the law

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast. - Eph 2:8-9

And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then it is no more grace: otherwise work is no more work. - Rom 11:6

4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. 5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. - Rom 4:4-5

Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God, - Heb 6:1

For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. - Heb 4:10

The world cannot hate you; but me it hateth, because I testify of it, that the works thereof are evil. - John 7:7

28 Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God? 29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent. - John 6:28-29

Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; - Titus 3:5

6 Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works, 7 Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered. 8 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin. Rom 4:6-8

For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God. - Rom 4:2

Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified. - Gal 2:16

2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? 5 He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? - Gal 3:2,5

For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them. - Gal 3:10

For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace. - Rom 6:14

Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree: - Gal 3:13

For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ. - John 1:17

And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins: - Heb 10:11

They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate. - Titus 1:16

9 But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage? 10 Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years. 11 I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain. - Gal 4:9-11

When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost. - John 19:30

Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace. - Gal 5:4

A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump. - Gal 5:9

21 Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law. 22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe. - Gal 3:21-22

See also Rom 3:9-20, Rom 9:30-33, Rom 10:1-4, Gal 2:21, Gal 3:17-18, Titus 3:9-11, 1 Tim 1:3-7, 2 Tim 1:9

All scripture passages and references are from the King James Bible, the word of God in English.