Which Bible do you choose?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

Scotth1960

[quote=jonathanbchristian;499012]There are different Bibles in English.

Do you prefer Modern Bibles or the King James version?

Modern Bibles use the Alexandrian Text.

King James uses the Textus Receptus (simular to the Greek Majority).

The two choices of text are:

1. The Oldest text (starting in year 200) the Alexandrian Text

2. The most numerous text (starting in the 5th century) the Greek Majority

Text

In short you are either choosing the Oldest text or the text that is found

more often (they have found more copies of the Greek Majority Text). Alot of

Americans use Modern Bibles such as the NIV or NKJV. Greeks use the Greek

Majority Text which is close to the KJV. Which do you use? Would you pick the

Oldest, the most copies, or both?

Dear jonathanbchristian: I prefer the following Bibles:

1. Orthodox New Testament. Volume 1, Evangelistarion, The Four Gospels.

Volume 2, Praxapostolos, Acts, Epistles, Revelation. Copyright 2000, Holy

Apostles Convent, Buena Vista, CO.

2. Orthodox Study Bible. Copyright 2008, St. Athanasius Academy of

Orthodox Theology, Elk Grove, CA. Fr. Jack N. Sparks, Ph.D., ed. Nashville, TN:

Thomas Nelson Bibles.

3. Eastern/Greek Orthodox Bible. Volume 3, New Testament. Copyright by

Laurent Cleenewerck. See: Online on Scribd.

4. English Standard Version, With the Apocrypha. New York: Oxford

University Press.

5. New Oxford Annotated Bible, Revised Standard Version, with the

Apocrypha. Expanded Edition. An Ecumenical Study Bible. Copyright 1977,

New York: Oxford University Press.

6. The Third Millennium Bible: New Authorized Version. With the Apocrypha.

Copyright 1998, Deuel Enterprises, Gary, SD.

7. New International Version. Best verse: Isaiah 53:11 in the New

International Version. A Great translation in this verse in Isaiah.

8. New English Translation of the Septuagint. NETS. New York: Oxford

University Press.

God bless you. If I were you, I would purchase all of these 8 translations of

the Bible. The OSB (Orthodox Study Bible) has the NKJV (New King James

Version) translation in the New Testament, and the SAAS Saint Athanasius

Academy Septuagint translation in the Old Testament.

God save us in Christ our Saviour and Sovereign LORD. Amen.

In Erie PA Scott R. Harrington July 9/22, 2011 AD

N

Nalu

KJV, NKJV, Stongs exhaustive concordance and Franlkin King James version electronic concordance.

Mar 2, 2010
All translations reflect the theological biases of the translators. Just about the only way to even avoid this is to have a concordant Bible (one that translates the same original word with the same English word every time), but even Greek, Aramaic, and Hebrew words have ranges of meaning rather than one meaning for each word, making this unreliable in terms of actually being a good translation. Bias is eliminated, but at times, so is accuracy. Especially with idioms.
I often think it best to use a "word for word" translation (NASB, RSV), a dynamic translation (NIV) and the Greek text side by side by side to get the best understanding. It takes a lot of work, but it is certainly worth it. Of course, I have some training in Greek that most people just don't have, so even then I would consider using multiple versions the best way to go.
I would caution that paraphrased versions contain the greatest amount of translator bias and can be 'dangerous' in that regard, and thus should ALWAYS be used only to clarify otherwise difficult passages or for devotional reading rather than study.

S

SantoSubito

I use a translation based on the Vulgate (and sometimes the Vulgate itself), The Douay-Rheims Challoner. Also Greeks usually use the Patriarchal text which is closer to either the Alexandrian or Majority text depending on the edition.

Cleante

May 7, 2010
I use the 1904 Patriarchal Test and the Codex Sinaiticus for the New Testament. I use the Septuagint for the Old Testament. (Greek speaker).

I also like to look at different manuscripts just for fun.

S

SantoSubito

I use the 1904 Patriarchal Test and the Codex Sinaiticus for the New Testament. I use the Septuagint for the Old Testament. (Greek speaker).

I also like to look at different manuscripts just for fun.
I would kill for your Greek skills, huh at least I have my Latin. :)

F

FireOnTheAltar

For casual reading I use either the New King James, the NIV, or the Amplified - whichever I get my hands on first. *lol* However for serious study I use the NASB + ESV + Original King James. It helps to have a Concordance as well.

I do like the NLT for casual reading however, I don't have a printed copy.

Jul 19, 2011
I use the KJV most of the time. I study the Bible in Spanish aswell. I don't think I could suggest anything better than the KJV, not that I think it's the only version.
I have read and heard from numerous sources that the KJV contains numerous errors.

S

SantoSubito

Is it the actual 1611 Authorized Version? Or is it one of the many 18th and 19th century revisions? (I believe that the 19th century revision is the one used in most AV's today.)

As for me I'm a 1609 Douay-Rheims man myself.

L

Lad

I use the Complete Jewish Bible. So neither really lol my bible was written with the proper names and places in hebrew and within the context of the jewish culture and history.

Dec 19, 2009
There are different Bibles in English.
Do you perfer Modern Bibles or the King James version?
Modern Bibles use the Alexandrian Text.
King James uses the Textus Receptus (simular to the Greek Majority).
The two choices of text are:
1. The Oldest text (starting in year 200) the Alexandrian Text
2. The most numberous text (starting in the 5th centry) the Greek Majority Text
In short you are either choosing the Oldest text or the text that is found more often (they have found more copies of the Greek Majority Text). Alot of Americans use Modern Bibles such as the NIV or NKJV. Greeks use the Greek Majority Text which is close to the KJV. Which do you use? Would you pick the Oldest, the most copies, or both?
I use the Revised Standard Version because it was given to me when I joined my church, in seventh grade. That was around 1965.