Which denomination should I become part of?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
Vicky, are you ready to do some homework?

There are many denominations that follow most if not all of Calvin's teachings. In a nutshell, TULIP:

T - Total Depravity
U - Unconditional Election
L - Limited Atonement
I - Irresistible Grace
P - Preservation of the Saints

Many believers today think Calvin was nuts or close to it. They believe none of these five points. The truth is, Christ died for all. The truth is, the bible says "whosoever will..." meaning, people WILL or they WON'T respond to the Holy Spirit's pull, but an act of their will. "primitive baptist's" in general believe this and teach it, at least in part, but then another group calls themselves "free will" baptists, because they know that the human will is involved. Your homework then: study these 5 points from Calvin's point of view and then from the opposing point of view and decide what you want to believe. A quick search online will show you what denominations follow Calvin.
1. Primitive Baptist or Reformed Baptist Churches
2. Presbyterian Churches
3. Reformed Churches
4. The United Church of Christ
5. The Protestant Reformed Churches in America

Personally, I would RUN from any church that taught these points.

Then there are other denominations that follow Arminius' teaching.
In a nutshell:
1. Unrestricted Free Will – This states that though man is fallen, he is not incapacitated by the sinful nature and can freely choose God. His will is not restricted and enslaved by his sinful nature.
2. Conditional Election – God chose people for salvation based on His ‘foreknowledge ‘. God looked into the future from eternity past, to see who would respond to the Gospel message.
3. Universal Atonement – The position that Jesus bore the sin of everyone who ever lived.
4. Resistable Grace – The teaching that the grace of God can be resisted and finally quenched, so as to reject salvation in Christ.
5. Potential to ‘Fall from Grace’ – The teaching that a person can fall from grace and lose his salvation, even after he has been ‘born again’, or, regenerated.

Churches that follow this teachings:
  • American Baptist Churches USA. American Baptist Churches USA claims in excess of 5,200 congregations in the United States. ...
  • The United Methodist Church. ...
  • Wesleyan Churches. ...
  • Pentecostal Churches. ...
  • The Church of the Nazarene.
I would challenge you, as you do your homework and study, and determine what you truly believe, ask yourself WHY you believe something: were you taught it by others sometime in your life. What does the BIBLE say about it? That is what is important.

Then you should study this chart and see how TIME has evolved these different churches:
http://www.truthforsaints.com/Christian_Denominations/denomination_history/denomination_history.html

Scroll down and study the chart. You will see there are only a few colors.

Finally, this is important, because you don't want to choose a church, and then find they are teaching something that goes against what you believe. Minor things you can overlook, and still enjoy a church family, but major things will cause unrest: bad for you and bad for the church.

I grew up in a Wesleyan church. When I was 20, I went with a lady to visit her church: a Pentecostal denomination. Within a few seconds of the service starting I discovered they had something I had never been introduced to before: it was the anointing of the Holy Spirit! I soon discovered that I had been cheated growing up in a Wesleyan church! They had ignored part of the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ!

Shortly after I was born again, when I was 7, a Calvinist leaning older brother started teaching me what he believed - which was quite different than what I was being taught at the Wesleyan church. I fought over these issues in my mind for years before I finally settled the issue with scripture.

In short, every believe should KNOW what they believe, and should know the scriptures behind what they believe.
There are American Baptist churches that

Many ABA churches are like this
[QUOTE="lamad, post: 4535903, member:

There are many denominations that follow most if not all of Calvin's teachings. In a nutshell, TULIP:

T - Total Depravity
U - Unconditional Election
L - Limited Atonement
I - Irresistible Grace
P - Preservation of the Saints

Many believers today think Calvin was nuts or close to it. They believe none of these five points. The truth is, Christ died for all. The truth is, the bible says "whosoever will..." meaning, people WILL or they WON'T respond to the Holy Spirit's pull, but an act of their will. "primitive baptist's" in general believe this and teach it, at least in part, but then another group calls themselves "free will" baptists, because they know that the human will is involved. Your homework then: study these 5 points from Calvin's point of view and then from the opposing point of view and decide what you want to believe. A quick search online will show you what denominations follow Calvin.
1. Primitive Baptist or Reformed Baptist Churches
2. Presbyterian Churches
3. Reformed Churches
4. The United Church of Christ
5. The Protestant Reformed Churches in America

Personally, I would RUN from any church that taught these points.

Then there are other denominations that follow Arminius' teaching.
In a nutshell:
1. Unrestricted Free Will – This states that though man is fallen, he is not incapacitated by the sinful nature and can freely choose God. His will is not restricted and enslaved by his sinful nature.
2. Conditional Election – God chose people for salvation based on His ‘foreknowledge ‘. God looked into the future from eternity past, to see who would respond to the Gospel message.
3. Universal Atonement – The position that Jesus bore the sin of everyone who ever lived.
4. Resistable Grace – The teaching that the grace of God can be resisted and finally quenched, so as to reject salvation in Christ.
5. Potential to ‘Fall from Grace’ – The teaching that a person can fall from grace and lose his salvation, even after he has been ‘born again’, or, regenerated.

Churches that follow this teachings:
  • American Baptist Churches USA. American Baptist Churches USA claims in excess of 5,200 congregations in the United States. ...
  • The United Methodist Church. ...
  • Wesleyan Churches. ...
  • Pentecostal Churches. ...
  • The Church of the Nazarene.
I would challenge you, as you do your homework and study, and determine what you truly believe, ask yourself WHY you believe something: were you taught it by others sometime in your life. What does the BIBLE say about it? That is what is important.

Then you should study this chart and see how TIME has evolved these different churches:
http://www.truthforsaints.com/Christian_Denominations/denomination_history/denomination_history.html

Scroll down and study the chart. You will see there are only a few colors.

Finally, this is important, because you don't want to choose a church, and then find they are teaching something that goes against what you believe. Minor things you can overlook, and still enjoy a church family, but major things will cause unrest: bad for you and bad for the church.

I grew up in a Wesleyan church. When I was 20, I went with a lady to visit her church: a Pentecostal denomination. Within a few seconds of the service starting I discovered they had something I had never been introduced to before: it was the anointing of the Holy Spirit! I soon discovered that I had been cheated growing up in a Wesleyan church! They had ignored part of the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ!

Shortly after I was born again, when I was 7, a Calvinist leaning older brother started teaching me what he believed - which was quite different than what I was being taught at the Wesleyan church. I fought over these issues in my mind for years before I finally settled the issue with scripture.

In short, every believe should KNOW what they believe, and should know the scriptures behind what they believe.[/QUOTE]

There are non calvinist baptists that hold to not being able to lose eternal salvation. I'm one of them!

Alot of these kind are in the ABA and BMA associations. Independent missionary baptists.

But yeah.. dont want to confuse things too much.
It again comes down to going to a church where Christ is no 1 and the truth is preached

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
I favour the Protestant tradition
That is all well and good, but do you know how the tell the difference between a Bible-believing Gospel church and one that is based on man-made traditions? Or one that is liberal? or one that is apostate?

mustaphadrink

Dec 13, 2013
I lived in the UK for the first 40 years of my life and experienced many different denominational churches. I had a close relationship with the Brethren as I went to their Bible College, but the icing on the cake for me was the 10 years I spent in the charismatic brethren, commonly known as the Restoration Movement. This movement involved the Anglicans, Brethren, Baptists, Independents and a few others.

If you can connect with any of those you won't do any better. Some of the names involved are Terry Virgo, Bryn Jones, Gerald Coates South Chard Fellowship, Roger Foister, and I am sure there are a few more that have started up since I have left the countrty.

Most of them have strong apostolic leadership and are keen for people to discover their calling and gifting.

B

Blackpowderduelist

One of the reasons I have become Lutheran, is because every aspect of the service can be explained in biblical context. Every "tradition" expressly teaches about Jesus, who he is and what he did for us. Every tiny detail is a teaching tool. From the candles to the little white collar that the pastor wears teaches us something about Jesus. They are explained and taught, so that when you see these things you know what they teach of Jesus.

tribesman

Oct 13, 2011
I currently frequent no church. I am in the UK (North East). I am seeking a church to attend.

I favour the Protestant tradition. Could anyone provide an overview of what particular denominations provide?
Where were you baptized?

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Run from any "church" that tries to present their own ethnic or cultural traditions as requirements for salvation or membership. If you are born again, you are already a member of the Church. We are set at Liberty from the old ritualistic Law and are now governed by only two tenants..

Matthew
22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
22:38 This is the first and great commandment.
22:39 And the second [is] like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
22:40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Only through choosing to come under the Blood of Jesus. No more, no less.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Where were you baptized?
Perhaps you should specify what type of baptism you are referring to.

We receive the Holy Spirit Baptism from the Lord when we choose to come under the Blood of Jesus.

The ritualistic sacraments that might be done after Salvation are not a part of Salvation. Lets not muddy the waters.

mustaphadrink

Dec 13, 2013
One of the reasons I have become Lutheran, is because every aspect of the service can be explained in biblical context. Every "tradition" expressly teaches about Jesus, who he is and what he did for us. Every tiny detail is a teaching tool. From the candles to the little white collar that the pastor wears teaches us something about Jesus. They are explained and taught, so that when you see these things you know what they teach of Jesus.
The fact is you want them to be explained in a biblical context. THe NTC did not use candles. THe NTC did not wear dog collars. All the NTC used was the power of the Holy Spirit to perform miracles and provide meals to show how much they loved each other making sure no one went without.

And as it says in Acts ther were devoted to each other. In a lot of churches today, people know their handful of friends but the rest are strangers. Not exactly devoted to each other.

Truth7t7

May 19, 2020
I currently frequent no church. I am in the UK (North East). I am seeking a church to attend.

I favour the Protestant tradition. Could anyone provide an overview of what particular denominations provide?
Calvary Chapels are come as you are, levis, t-shirt, sandals, always friendly, salvation is preached, started in Southern California

Calvary Chapel UK Finder

Calvary Chapel is a world-wide association of over 1800 like-minded churches that grew out of the Jesus Movement in Southern California in the 1960’s. Calvary Chapel is not a denomination, but a fellowship of independent churches who share in a common philosophy of ministry.

At the heart of the Calvary Chapel movement is a passionate commitment to the preaching of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and the teaching of the Word of God. While our ministries are varied, our mission is simple: to proclaim Jesus as Lord & Saviour, and to make disciples of Jesus Christ, unto the glory of God!

It is this commitment to the Gospel and the Word of God that has seen over 30 Calvary Chapel churches planted in the UK alone over the last twenty years.

CALVARY CHAPEL ASSOCIATION
Calvary Chapel UK is a part of the Calvary Chapel Association (CCA) of Churches. For more information about the CCA, click here:

B

Blackpowderduelist

The fact is you want them to be explained in a biblical context. THe NTC did not use candles. THe NTC did not wear dog collars. All the NTC used was the power of the Holy Spirit to perform miracles and provide meals to show how much they loved each other making sure no one went without.

And as it says in Acts ther were devoted to each other. In a lot of churches today, people know their handful of friends but the rest are strangers. Not exactly devoted to each other.
Yep that is exactly what misinterpreting the bible looks like. So while yes that did happen in acts, it wasn't the normal operation. Also what happened Paul preached so long a guy fell out a window and died. You have to read the whole book in context. When Peter got out of prison and went to the house where they were praying Rhoda thought it was his ghost.
So ya recon the new testament church didn't use candles huh? I guess they just flip on the lights. Lol, they often met at night or evening times and candles and lamps are what they had for light.
"Dog collars"? your going to use personal insults then talk about being devoted to each other. it could be crass attitudes today like the one you display that are the cause of this lack of devotion. You insult our teaching tools, while speaking of devotion, last Sunday was my churches 50 anniversary, so at the dinner we had after the service member got up and told stories of the things that these members had done together over the years, they all know each other and are friends. Having only gone there a short time the pastor is scheduled to be at my house this evening which will be the third time. I have had other member to my home, and have been invited to join in many events and happenings of members one being a road trip.
My church is entirely Bible centered. We read more scripture each Sunday than many churches do, we read old testament, psalms, epistle, and gospel every Sunday, entire passages, not just a verse or two; in the main service. Not even counting Bible study, and you criticize our teaching tools. You are a crass and boarish, person who is the source of the problems you complain about.

Jan 14, 2021
You are a crass and boarish, person who is the source of the problems you complain about.
Peace, friend. What he said was perhaps crass and boarish but he may have been speaking in frustration just as you speak in frustration when you speak of him as a person instead of by his words in isolation.

There is good content in the discussion worth looking at. The question of necessity of acquired tradition is a good question (whether it's attire, candle lighting, or other forms of atmosphere). I believe he was voicing frustration for some churches that may have "missed the forest for the trees" by focusing on aesthetic, while the opposing frustration is that this attitude can unjustly judge a book by its cover.

Peace, friends. These are good discussions.

B

Blackpowderduelist

Peace, friend. What he said was perhaps crass and boarish but he may have been speaking in frustration just as you speak in frustration when you speak of him as a person instead of by his words in isolation.

There is good content in the discussion worth looking at. The question of necessity of acquired tradition is a good question (whether it's attire, candle lighting, or other forms of atmosphere). I believe he was voicing frustration for some churches that may have "missed the forest for the trees" by focusing on aesthetic, while the opposing frustration is that this attitude can unjustly judge a book by its cover.

Peace, friends. These are good discussions.
All of the things we do have specific teachings that go with them. For example that little white collar goes with a black suit, and it represents that God uses men; dead as according to scriptures mortified flesh to speak and teach his word. The lesson that it isn't about them man speaking it is about what he is teaching (if it is God's word). The pastor is just a human man in mortified flesh prepared for his funeral used by God to teach his words, (and the robe), covered by the righteousness of Christ. The vestment usually has embroidery that represents an aspect of Jesus. Teaching us some character of Jesus.
His frustrations are due to his ignorant, self indulged mind that is unwilling to learn, but rather cast judgement upon things he does not know or understand. If he had asked me the meanings I would be more than happy to explain all these things. But rather he chose insult, and crass ignorant judgement.
I rather enjoy explaining these things, and do not blame people for not knowing. How can they know unless someone teach?
But to go on in benightedness with audacious pride is untenable for the enlightened.
The candles teach us of the light of the word of truth, and the brilliance of the Holy Spirit bringing light into our darkness and illuminating us with God's goodness, and wisdom from his word to us.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
I rather enjoy explaining these things, and do not blame people for not knowing. How can they know unless someone teach?
But to go on in benightedness with audacious pride is untenable for the enlightened.
The candles teach us of the light of the word of truth, and the brilliance of the Holy Spirit bringing light into our darkness and illuminating us with God's goodness, and wisdom from his word to us.
All of us, myself included, must be vey careful. Pride can pop up on either side of the aisle and there are deep ditches on both sides of the road. Salvation is first. Rituals and customs and remembrances must remain secondary.

B

Blackpowderduelist

All of us, myself included, must be vey careful. Pride can pop up on either side of the aisle and there are deep ditches on both sides of the road. Salvation is first. Rituals and customs and remembrances must remain secondary.
Fully agree. Salvation, love for the brethren and then our traditions.

Bingo

Feb 9, 2019
- Copy - Copy - Copy (11) - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy - Cop...jpg
"There are no political, economic, 'religious' or military
solutions to what is primarily a spiritual problem in the world today."

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
I wouldn't join a denomination, or a church that calls itself nondenominational. I'd just try to find some people who have wisdom and are pure in heart.

BTW, Catholicism isn't Christianity. Not trying to sound self-righteous, just telling it like it is.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
what they provide

well most churches provide these things, and doesnt depend on denomination. Its just the doctrines and some preaching that differs

foodbank or kitchen
lords supper
seats to sit on
Bibles
baptism (water or spirit or both)
a roof
music
some type of sunday school for children
christian books
carboot sale
garden
car park
hall
toilets
somewhere where lots of people can gather to worship
prayer
hugs

ankagirl

Feb 10, 2021

I would suggest Baptist. I think the best thing about the Baptist church is that they preach the Bible. A lot of denominations go to other resources, but if you truly want to learn the Bible and grow in your faith, then a Bible-centred church is the way to go!

mustaphadrink

Dec 13, 2013
Yep that is exactly what misinterpreting the bible looks like. So while yes that did happen in acts, it wasn't the normal operation. Also what happened Paul preached so long a guy fell out a window and died. You have to read the whole book in context. When Peter got out of prison and went to the house where they were praying Rhoda thought it was his ghost.
So ya recon the new testament church didn't use candles huh? I guess they just flip on the lights. Lol, they often met at night or evening times and candles and lamps are what they had for light.
"Dog collars"? your going to use personal insults then talk about being devoted to each other. it could be crass attitudes today like the one you display that are the cause of this lack of devotion. You insult our teaching tools, while speaking of devotion, last Sunday was my churches 50 anniversary, so at the dinner we had after the service member got up and told stories of the things that these members had done together over the years, they all know each other and are friends. Having only gone there a short time the pastor is scheduled to be at my house this evening which will be the third time. I have had other member to my home, and have been invited to join in many events and happenings of members one being a road trip.
My church is entirely Bible centered. We read more scripture each Sunday than many churches do, we read old testament, psalms, epistle, and gospel every Sunday, entire passages, not just a verse or two; in the main service. Not even counting Bible study, and you criticize our teaching tools. You are a crass and boarish, person who is the source of the problems you complain about.
I am sorry brother that I have caused you so much angst that you needed to lash out at me in such an ungracious manner. it was never my intention to denigrate anyone as you claim. I may be wrong but you seem to take everything personal which always clouds one's judgment and understanding.

Perhaps I may be allowed to clear up some misconceptions you have about what I said.

First, I did not refer to candles as a means of lighting. In the settings that the NTC met they would have had oil lamps for lighting purposes.

Second. The dog collar reference was not a personsal insult. it was a statement of fact. And it was not metioned in terms of the church being devoted to each other. That was a separate subject.

Third. My remarks are never based on one churches experience. They are based on what I have learnt and experienced through copious research , which is always the way to go. As in all cases, there is the exception to the rule but the exception never makes the rule.

Fourth. I never said your church was not bible centred and I have not criticised your teaching tools as I have no idea what your church is so I am not able to make a judgment.

Fifth. I fail to understand what the person falling out of the window or Paul getting out of prison has to do wiht the subject matter.

Sixth. You no doubt know that Satan is aware of what the scripture says but it hasn't changed his mind about what he wants to do to destroy God's kingdom. Knowing scripture and knowing God are two different things.

Seventh. I do apologise if you thnk I am crass and boorish. We are all a work in progress so I guess I have a long way to go to measure up to your righteousness.

Eighth. I doubt that I am the source as it has been happening long before I was born according to all the history books I own and have read. One of my favourite subjects is history and in particular church history and I have written a paper for a Ph.D. on the subject so I didn't come down in the last shower.

Many blessings brother.