Which Person Is Living More Of A Godly Lifestyle?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Which Person Is Living More Of A Godly Lifestyle?

• Person 1

• Person 2

• I think it evens up the same, just in different ways.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Aug 12, 2013
Which Person from these two descriptions are serving the Lord more, better and truly?

Person 1:
They work 40 hours average a week and sleep 5-8 hours a day.
When they see a homeless person, they feed them, clothe them and try to spare money sometimes for other needs.
After work they spend most the year with their family talking about personal feelings, playing games together, they only watch TV during a short break or snack, they share scripture and discuss it and teach their kids about many things for their future to make wise decisions and for educational purposes.
They spend times often with friends to encourage each other and hear their problems to comfort and guide them.
They are poor, but they are constantly giving to others in need.
When a neighbor gets in a tough situation, and doesn't have all the money for rent, this person will try to help out with some or all if they can without going homeless themselves.
They read scripture alone daily and pray together with their friends and family.
When family becomes homeless, they let them stay awhile till they get enough and find their own place even if arguments come up now and then.
They don't go to chapel services because of bad experiences of being treated badly and kicked out but rather they go into public to lead others to Christ.

Person 2:
They work 60-80 hours a week and sleep 8-12 hours a day.
When they see the homeless, they pass right by to mind their own business because they believe homeless people can help themselves if they wanted to, and if they offer anything or would be a waste on a homeless person.
After work, they eat immediately, clean up and go to sleep for work the next day or because they are exhausted from long work shifts alone.
They take their days off to shop, teach children Christian plays all year long to prepare a play only for Christmas Eve, go to doctor appointments, eat out somewhere a bit expensive, come home and watch TV then go to sleep then go back to work the next day.
While their children are kids, they teach them only educational things and homeschooling but never teaching anything else at home except what they need to know for jobs and college, and they don't help their children to find friends but rather they just buy them a few things to keep them active at home.
They only spend times with friends for a short time at birthday parties and Chapel services, and when their friends are in need they tell them that they will pray for them.
They are midclass with their finances, not poor and not rich, they save thousands in their bank a year and put it away for when they want to buy something nice and expensive or in case any big, unexpected problems happen.
When a neighbor gets in a tough situation with having money for rent, they tell the neighbor they are sorry to hear that and they will pray for them and go back home.
They read scripture rarely ever at home, but they do each Chapel service with their classes and with their pastor preaching.
They only pray a short time over their food, at chapel services and when they are sick or they would rather go through their prayer list than watch TV.
When family becomes homeless, they will only take in a certain family member for a limited time with a set date and if the homeless family member can't find a job or a house by then, then they have to go homeless outside again, and if a single argument comes up, they will make that family member leave before the the days have even reached the limit.
They go to chapel services every Wednesday and Sunday and are even a youth leader of very young kids.
~
People debate who should live now like who to live for God.
Both have their flaws.
Which person lives more of a godly lifestyle?

M

Miri

Entirely circumstantial.

The Pharisees openly prayed, boasted about fasting and obeyed every
commendment to the letter. But Jesus said they were like white washed
tombs full of dead men’s bones!

The widow had barely anything to give just a penny “mite”. But she gave her all.
But then she would not have had anything to give the beggars she passed on the
Streets.

Mary broke a jaw of expensive perfume over Jesus’ feet in an act which was
apparently very wasteful. But Jesus commended her for it.

Nothing is ever entirely black and white. Only God knows a person’s heart.

For example maybe the person working 80 hours a week, is paying off a lot of
debt. Maybe they are saving up for something very special. I know someone who
saves up lots of money then at Christmas every year they give it to a children’s
charity.

Maybe they are saving up for their children’s education etc and they want to
give them what they never had.

Maybe the person who seems to do a lot for others, goes around bragging
about it or makes others feel beholden to them. We had a lady in my last
church who gave a lot of money to the church but in return she expected a
big say in how it was run and what her money was spent on.

Life is never that black and white as the examples you give.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
That's not for us to decide.
Such hypotheticals rarely lead to anything positive and usually end up being divisive.

If you see one you believe living wrong then go to them and express a concern for them with an offer of how they may be able to correct it.
Bypass criticism and if they reject it then accept it and leave them be.

The body has many parts, each with a purpose. I find many times the church finds this notion unacceptable and requires that all Christians must be the same. This leads to the idea of comparing lifestyles so that we can set one up to be judged for being the "wrong" body part. Much like this thread.

L

Locoponydirtman

I'll let God judge.
And by the way he isn't going to judge one against the other. Each man will stand on either his own merit or Christ's.

Aug 12, 2013
Entirely circumstantial.

The Pharisees openly prayed, boasted about fasting and obeyed every
commendment to the letter. But Jesus said they were like white washed
tombs full of dead men’s bones!

The widow had barely anything to give just a penny “mite”. But she gave her all.
But then she would not have had anything to give the beggars she passed on the
Streets.

Mary broke a jaw of expensive perfume over Jesus’ feet in an act which was
apparently very wasteful. But Jesus commended her for it.

Nothing is ever entirely black and white. Only God knows a person’s heart.

For example maybe the person working 80 hours a week, is paying off a lot of
debt. Maybe they are saving up for something very special. I know someone who
saves up lots of money then at Christmas every year they give it to a children’s
charity.

Maybe they are saving up for their children’s education etc and they want to
give them what they never had.

Maybe the person who seems to do a lot for others, goes around bragging
about it or makes others feel beholden to them. We had a lady in my last
church who gave a lot of money to the church but in return she expected a
big say in how it was run and what her money was spent on.

Life is never that black and white as the examples you give.
No they have never been in debt. Did you forget that they have thousands saved in their bank account? You're assuming something when the answer is already there telling you that isn't the case or a possibility. They are midclass, they would be poor if they were in debt. Perhaps I could've mentioned they have amazing credit

Aug 12, 2013
I'll let God judge.
And by the way he isn't going to judge one against the other. Each man will stand on either his own merit or Christ's.
I am asking for advice overall. People are telling me I'm not living a godly life and I need to live like them. This is how we live. If I'm not serving God and yet I claim I am, I SHOULD BE REBUKED AND JUDGED. I need truth. Jesus taught us how to. You know them by their fruits. Which one of these people are bearing more godly fruit? God is the judge of that, but he has given us understanding how to view and live like he wants us to. He tells us how someone doesn't live for him. It's in scripture. But from what you know and understand in scripture, it would be helpful to get some advice if I'm on the right track or if I'm not and I need to be more like them or continue to do what I've been doing.

Judging is making a decision, it's not condemning people of sin

L

Locoponydirtman

I am asking for advice overall. People are telling me I'm not living a godly life and I need to live like them. This is how we live. If I'm not serving God and yet I claim I am, I SHOULD BE REBUKED AND JUDGED. I need truth. Jesus taught us how to. You know them by their fruits. Which one of these people are bearing more godly fruit? God is the judge of that, but he has given us understanding how to view and live like he wants us to. He tells us how someone doesn't live for him. It's in scripture. But from what you know and understand in scripture, it would be helpful to get some advice if I'm on the right track or if I'm not and I need to be more like them or continue to do what I've been doing.

I think you have some friends who need to tend their own. Only you and God can decide the roll you play. No one else.

Aug 12, 2013
That's not for us to decide.
Such hypotheticals rarely lead to anything positive and usually end up being divisive.

If you see one you believe living wrong then go to them and express a concern for them with an offer of how they may be able to correct it.
Bypass criticism and if they reject it then accept it and leave them be.

The body has many parts, each with a purpose. I find many times the church finds this notion unacceptable and requires that all Christians must be the same. This leads to the idea of comparing lifestyles so that we can set one up to be judged for being the "wrong" body part. Much like this thread.
Yesit is for us to choose how to live our lives. This is a simple question that we can compare to what the Bible describes how a Christian would live. You know them by their fruits. Some will bear more and some will bear less. Who is bearing more? They claim I'm not in everything I do. Is that true or not? To not answer the question, you are only leaving a Christian brother alone with no guidance when he is trying to understand is he's on the right track for God or if he needs to get on another one like the other person. God told us how to live. Who is living more like scripture tells us to? That's is something we need to understand what we are doing with our lives. To simply let god be the judge of itand ignore your judgement then you won't make a decision of you need to change your actions and you may continue not serving god. Because god isn't going to come down here and tell me personally hey you're on the right track. No but he uses other Christians to help guide, encourage and motivate other Christians to stay on the right track. If I'm going wrong, I need to be rebuked and get on the right path. Is it wrong to ask for some guidance if I am wrong or if they are?

Out sounds like you think it's even like option in the poll. We're all just different parts sounds like that's your answer.

Aug 12, 2013
I think you have some friends who need to tend their own. Only you and God can decide the roll you play. No one else.
Yeah but god isn't going to come down physically or speak or of the air and tell me. He has Christians to help me understand and help direct me in the path God wants me on. It sounds like a lot of people here don't even understand what the Church of Christ is for. We are to guide each other, correct and rebuke each other, give advice to help make wise decisions, to work together to live and come closer to Christ. Not mine our business and leave brothers in Christ just to make their own decisions and expect god to handle it alone with that person. God works through people, not physically himself like he used to

BenFTW

Oct 7, 2012
The question is, which are you? You could be one or the other and still be found wanting. Are you walking in God's will for your life, not what people expect Christians to do, but what God desires of you? Have you read this scripture?

1 Corinthians 13:3 King James Version (KJV)
3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

That one seems perplexing, does it not? Where is your love? Do you wish to bring glory to God in your actions, and give Him credit in the works that He has prepared for you to walk in from the foundation of the world? Then seek His will and purposes for your life. You don't need to make a comparison of the two, each man may serve as he so wishes (and possibly to his shame).

Surrender your will. Don't think this means lack, either. God provides and gives us the desires of our hearts. He is faithful and true.

L

Locoponydirtman

Yeah but god isn't going to come down physically or speak or of the air and tell me. He has Christians to help me understand and help direct me in the path God wants me on. It sounds like a lot of people here don't even understand what the Church of Christ is for. We are to guide each other, correct and rebuke each other, give advice to help make wise decisions, to work together to live and come closer to Christ. Not mine our business and leave brothers in Christ just to make their own decisions and expect god to handle it alone with that person. God works through people, not physically himself like he used to
Yes and sometimes churches get out of line.
I knew of a church so demanding that men were fighting with their wives because the pastor called the to duty all the time. When they tried to recruit me I told them to pound sand. They then told the members that they were not allowed to go to the Bible study that I and a friend held. You have to read the Bible and pray, God has you doing what he has you doing. He will direct you.

Sep 13, 2018
Which Person from these two descriptions are serving the Lord more, better and truly?

Person 1:
They work 40 hours average a week and sleep 5-8 hours a day.
When they see a homeless person, they feed them, clothe them and try to spare money sometimes for other needs.
After work they spend most the year with their family talking about personal feelings, playing games together, they only watch TV during a short break or snack, they share scripture and discuss it and teach their kids about many things for their future to make wise decisions and for educational purposes.
They spend times often with friends to encourage each other and hear their problems to comfort and guide them.
They are poor, but they are constantly giving to others in need.
When a neighbor gets in a tough situation, and doesn't have all the money for rent, this person will try to help out with some or all if they can without going homeless themselves.
They read scripture alone daily and pray together with their friends and family.
When family becomes homeless, they let them stay awhile till they get enough and find their own place even if arguments come up now and then.
They don't go to chapel services because of bad experiences of being treated badly and kicked out but rather they go into public to lead others to Christ.

Person 2:
They work 60-80 hours a week and sleep 8-12 hours a day.
When they see the homeless, they pass right by to mind their own business because they believe homeless people can help themselves if they wanted to, and if they offer anything or would be a waste on a homeless person.
After work, they eat immediately, clean up and go to sleep for work the next day or because they are exhausted from long work shifts alone.
They take their days off to shop, teach children Christian plays all year long to prepare a play only for Christmas Eve, go to doctor appointments, eat out somewhere a bit expensive, come home and watch TV then go to sleep then go back to work the next day.
While their children are kids, they teach them only educational things and homeschooling but never teaching anything else at home except what they need to know for jobs and college, and they don't help their children to find friends but rather they just buy them a few things to keep them active at home.
They only spend times with friends for a short time at birthday parties and Chapel services, and when their friends are in need they tell them that they will pray for them.
They are midclass with their finances, not poor and not rich, they save thousands in their bank a year and put it away for when they want to buy something nice and expensive or in case any big, unexpected problems happen.
When a neighbor gets in a tough situation with having money for rent, they tell the neighbor they are sorry to hear that and they will pray for them and go back home.
They read scripture rarely ever at home, but they do each Chapel service with their classes and with their pastor preaching.
They only pray a short time over their food, at chapel services and when they are sick or they would rather go through their prayer list than watch TV.
When family becomes homeless, they will only take in a certain family member for a limited time with a set date and if the homeless family member can't find a job or a house by then, then they have to go homeless outside again, and if a single argument comes up, they will make that family member leave before the the days have even reached the limit.
They go to chapel services every Wednesday and Sunday and are even a youth leader of very young kids.
~
People debate who should live now like who to live for God.
Both have their flaws.
Which person lives more of a godly lifestyle?
I don't get it, If you are this loving and compassionate, Why are you so upset... Just count your blessings brother. Believe me, It can get a whole lot worse...

Poinsetta

Nov 24, 2018
Fly you lil’ birdie

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Yesit is for us to choose how to live our lives. This is a simple question that we can compare to what the Bible describes how a Christian would live. You know them by their fruits. Some will bear more and some will bear less. Who is bearing more? They claim I'm not in everything I do. Is that true or not? To not answer the question, you are only leaving a Christian brother alone with no guidance when he is trying to understand is he's on the right track for God or if he needs to get on another one like the other person. God told us how to live. Who is living more like scripture tells us to? That's is something we need to understand what we are doing with our lives. To simply let god be the judge of itand ignore your judgement then you won't make a decision of you need to change your actions and you may continue not serving god. Because god isn't going to come down here and tell me personally hey you're on the right track. No but he uses other Christians to help guide, encourage and motivate other Christians to stay on the right track. If I'm going wrong, I need to be rebuked and get on the right path. Is it wrong to ask for some guidance if I am wrong or if they are?

Out sounds like you think it's even like option in the poll. We're all just different parts sounds like that's your answer.
Well i Did say, if you read, to approach someone and share your concerns with them if you feel their life isn't being lived correctly. Somehow you managed to ignore that part of what i said.
But neither are we supposed to Bury our noses in everyone elses business.

One of the biggest misunderstandings Christians miss is that life is not a moment in time, but a journey. A person may not be ready or able to grow in the way "we" think they should be at that exact moment. We don't know their struggles, we don't know what area God finds more important and is working with them on.
What this 'theoretical' is doing is A) presuming you can know the 'behind the scenes' of a persons life, as well as their heart, intentions, motivations and connection with God. Not to mention claiming that you 'know' they are in the wrong, thus placing yourself in the position of God.
B) Suggesting that all people need to be at the same point in their walk.
C) It is purely based on works.
And this is the problem with this situation you present. You don't have all the facts in such scenarios, though in your situation you, somehow, know all these things. Not everyone is intended to be in the same place at the same time. Where we come from, are and are headed vary and to suggest that all people 'must' be living to this 'biblical' standard at all times is... not biblical.
Perhaps quit presuming to know where someone else is at spiritually based off of what you think they 'should' be doing while calling it biblical and recognize God does not work the same in every life, every person is not the same and it's not our place to tell people where they 'should' be at spiritually.
No doubt if we jumped ahead 10 years we'd see spiritual growth and the ways you were missing the mark now. Does that mean it's our place to badger you into 'biblical' compliance or do we use a balance of watching out for one another, while also 'working out our own salvation with fear and trembling'?
Who is living more like scripture? The one being obedient to where GOD wants them, not to where man says they 'should' be.

By the way, plenty of people live like your 'scriptural' standard and don't know God. And not everyone who isn't shouting it from the rooftops is some spiritual failure. Come down from that self appointed pedestal.

Now that i've given you correction i'll move on, just as i said previously. Not follow after you demanding you live more 'scripturally'.

M

Miri

If you are a born again Christian, you will have a conscience. Pray and let God be
your guide. The key is whether or not you have peace on the matter.
Not whether or not other people around you have peace, it’s not their life.

You could ask a million people and get a million answers. Man only sees the outward
appearance, God sees the heart and motives.

Aug 12, 2013
If you are a born again Christian, you will have a conscience. Pray and let God be
your guide. The key is whether or not you have peace on the matter.
Not whether or not other people around you have peace, it’s not their life.

You could ask a million people and get a million answers. Man only sees the outward
appearance, God sees the heart and motives.
Yeah, but can we always be so sure our conscience is what we are hearing in our heads or that we have been deceived? Is our conscience even always right? I may not understand what the conscience always is exactly. I see it as a common sense understanding of what is right or wrong, as if it is a natural instinct. But I never studied or learned that it was always right or not.

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
If ur not sure if ur living a godly life, open your bible and see what u do or dont do
Do u pray, fast, seek God, tell people about God, study, let God sanctify you and work on u step after step.

Aug 12, 2013
Well i Did say, if you read, to approach someone and share your concerns with them if you feel their life isn't being lived correctly. Somehow you managed to ignore that part of what i said.
But neither are we supposed to Bury our noses in everyone elses business.

One of the biggest misunderstandings Christians miss is that life is not a moment in time, but a journey. A person may not be ready or able to grow in the way "we" think they should be at that exact moment. We don't know their struggles, we don't know what area God finds more important and is working with them on.
What this 'theoretical' is doing is A) presuming you can know the 'behind the scenes' of a persons life, as well as their heart, intentions, motivations and connection with God. Not to mention claiming that you 'know' they are in the wrong, thus placing yourself in the position of God.
B) Suggesting that all people need to be at the same point in their walk.
C) It is purely based on works.
And this is the problem with this situation you present. You don't have all the facts in such scenarios, though in your situation you, somehow, know all these things. Not everyone is intended to be in the same place at the same time. Where we come from, are and are headed vary and to suggest that all people 'must' be living to this 'biblical' standard at all times is... not biblical.
Perhaps quit presuming to know where someone else is at spiritually based off of what you think they 'should' be doing while calling it biblical and recognize God does not work the same in every life, every person is not the same and it's not our place to tell people where they 'should' be at spiritually.
No doubt if we jumped ahead 10 years we'd see spiritual growth and the ways you were missing the mark now. Does that mean it's our place to badger you into 'biblical' compliance or do we use a balance of watching out for one another, while also 'working out our own salvation with fear and trembling'?
Who is living more like scripture? The one being obedient to where GOD wants them, not to where man says they 'should' be.

By the way, plenty of people live like your 'scriptural' standard and don't know God. And not everyone who isn't shouting it from the rooftops is some spiritual failure. Come down from that self appointed pedestal.

Now that i've given you correction i'll move on, just as i said previously. Not follow after you demanding you live more 'scripturally'.
With long messages and multiple subjects being brought up in one message, I usually just reply to the one that stands out to me the most. Plus I was in major tooth pain where I cannot fully concentrate on barely anything.

I apologize if you thought I intended to ignore you.

Still, I can change my actions anytime anyday. If I should be working more hours, I simply just start going to work more. If I shouldn't be helping the homeless, I wont help the homeless. Should I leave my friends homeless? Should I not pay my neighbors rent? You see? It's not a complicated thing that it takes so much time to change such simple things that we pretty much do every day, week or often. It's not like you're trying to make yourself a perfect person or never sin, you are simply just choosing how you want to live day by day. Is it so hard to pick a ramen packet over a bowl of cereal? No. Not for me. So surely, if this person is right, saying what they do is where God wants me to be, then I want to know if I need to start living differently or if where I am is basically the same as them though we have our differences, or are they lying and I actually am living more for God in my actions. These can be simple facts if we understand the picture.

If we see a homosexual worshipping Satan and playing video games and working their whole life, compared to someone who worships God who is married to the opposite gender and spends most their time in scripture and prayer, can we really not say then who is living more of a godly lifestyle or are we to stupid and don't have the authority to say?

L

Locoponydirtman

I have read lots of good answers from some real reasonable folks. You can either accept their answers or not.
Your walk is not judged by someone else's walk. You are either practicing your faith and engaging in the capacity that God has given you or you are not.
Test yourselves to see if you are in the faith; examine yourselves! Or do you not recognize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you-unless indeed you fail the test?
2 Corinthians 13:5 NASB