Which translation sits best with you?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Genez

Oct 12, 2017
So, which modern English translations did he recommend?
You need to hear him teach a few times.
Answering your questions could not do it justice as is..

Again, he was recommended to me by a professor who taught ancient languages at a Bible college.
The professor would listen to him.

https://www.rbthieme.org/PDF/LessonListingForWeb2014.pdf

This is not an average pastor I am talking about.
And..most likely... You will either hate him, or love him.

How's that for an answer?

Genez

Oct 12, 2017
So, which modern English translations did he recommend?
He normally began with citing the KJV....

Then he would teach on what the Hebrew or Greek says with greater accuracy than any translation could offer.

SaysWhat

Jan 17, 2024
Those are not for newborns...
Not for those just born, who begin sucking for milk.

That is the point you keep missing.

Why would a mother milk herself in bed, and then hand that contraption over to her newborn infant?

1 Peter 2:2​
Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk,
so that by it you may grow up in your salvation,

Words matter.
And you lived during the bronze age to know such a thing?

Yea I guess words matter if you're just going to wing it. It's up to you

Oct 19, 2024
You need to hear him teach a few times.
Answering your questions could not do it justice as is..

Again, he was recommended to me by a professor who taught ancient languages at a Bible college.
The professor would listen to him.

https://www.rbthieme.org/PDF/LessonListingForWeb2014.pdf

This is not an average pastor I am talking about.
And..most likely... You will either hate him, or love him.

How's that for an answer?
Terrible since you ignored me saying that I learned from Thieme in the 1970s, but I eventually decided he was too papalistic and dismissive of other equally knowledgeable scholars who produced translations that took into account the original languages sufficiently.

Bob-Carabbio

Jun 24, 2020
Just curious.

Which translation below sits best with you and your understanding of James 3:17?
I've always been KJVP (preference). I learned to read in the KJV 75 or so years ago, I know most of the bad translation "work arounds", and the archaic English doesn't bother me a bit.

SaysWhat

Jan 17, 2024
Those are not for newborns...
Not for those just born, who begin sucking for milk.

That is the point you keep missing.

Why would a mother milk herself in bed, and then hand that contraption over to her newborn infant?

Because breast feeding can become highly stressful for the mother. Even thousands of years ago people invented ways to help with feeding a new born baby.​
A baby bottles relieves the mother of the stress of being suckled.​

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
Which is the Snootiest Bible, that's the one I want everyone to see me carrying.

Genez

Oct 12, 2017
And you lived during the bronze age to know such a thing?

Yea I guess words matter if you're just going to wing it. It's up to you

Gadzooks! Not breast feeding a new born infant? But, resorting to external feeding?????

Wake up!

Oct 19, 2024
He normally began with citing the KJV....

Then he would teach on what the Hebrew or Greek says with greater accuracy than any translation could offer.
At first I was satisfied with that approach, but then I decided that Thieme wasted too much time explaining what the KJV meant, when he would have done better by beginning with a modern translation, such as the NIV and then improving upon that meaning. Most of the time it seemed like perseverating on the Greek did not improve the meaning much if at all of the modern translations, although every now and then it did--such as the meaning of "rock" in MT 16:18.

SaysWhat

Jan 17, 2024
Gadzooks! Not breast feeding a new born infant? But, resorting to external feeding?????

Wake up!
Indeed you need to wake up,

lactational mastitis is a infection that has happened to women since the beginning of breastfeeding. The invention of baby bottles can relieve the burden and complications of breastfeeding during those times.

Genez

Oct 12, 2017
At first I was satisfied with that approach, but then I decided that Thieme wasted too much time explaining what the KJV meant, when he would have done better by beginning with a modern translation, such as the NIV and then improving upon that meaning. Most of the time it seemed like perseverating on the Greek did not improve the meaning much if at all of the modern translations, although every now and then it did--such as the meaning of "rock" in MT 16:18.
Some of the modern translations are easier to think is making sense than the KJV.

But too much gets lost in the translation.

Matthew 4:3?

"The tempter came to him and said, “If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread.”

All translations fail to convey the correct thought of that verse, leaving all at the mercy of speculation.

Another big one that gets taught erroneously because how it's been translated into our English makes none the wiser, is this one...

Titus 2:11-12

For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in the present age.

Teaching that from an English translation, though it sounds nice, will never convey what Paul intended.

SaysWhat

Jan 17, 2024
He was able to admit he had been wrong about something, and would then introduce
us to the corrections when need be. He studied from other scholars and would read ancient manuscripts in their native
language.. God raised him up. He knew that and gave all credit to God's grace.
That's a pretty rare thing to witness, someone who can be humble and admit to being incorrect. Because it can be a hard thing to do.

Genez

Oct 12, 2017
Indeed you need to wake up,

lactational mastitis is a infection that has happened to women since the beginning of breastfeeding. The invention of baby bottles can relieve the burden and complications of breastfeeding during those times.

Most women automatically breast fed their NEW BORNS..

The history and culture of breastfeeding traces changing social, medical and legal attitudes to breastfeeding, the act of feeding a child breast milk directly from breast to mouth. Breastfeeding may be performed by the infant's mother or by a surrogate, typically called a wet nurse. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histo...ian, Greek and,children of the royal families.

Lactational mastitis is when milk is trapped in the breast, and is the main cause of mastitis.

SaysWhat

Jan 17, 2024
Most women automatically breast fed their NEW BORNS..

The history and culture of breastfeeding traces changing social, medical and legal attitudes to breastfeeding, the act of feeding a child breast milk directly from breast to mouth. Breastfeeding may be performed by the infant's mother or by a surrogate, typically called a wet nurse. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_and_culture_of_breastfeeding#:~:text=Early history,-Old-Babylonian plaque&text=In the Egyptian, Greek and,children of the royal families.

Lactational mastitis is when milk is trapped in the breast, and is the main cause of mastitis.
hmm interesting I didn't know that, I guess they weren't used after all back then, thank you for the conversation.

Genez

Oct 12, 2017
I've always been KJVP (preference). I learned to read in the KJV 75 or so years ago, I know most of the bad translation "work arounds", and the archaic English doesn't bother me a bit.

Titus 2:11-12 Authorized (King James) Version.

Could you please tell me what the KJV is saying here?

For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live
soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world."

Grace and peace ....

Genez

Oct 12, 2017
hmm interesting I didn't know that, I guess they weren't used after all back then, thank you for the conversation.
They were probably used, but more likely only for when a child got bigger and the mother did not want to remain being breast feeding directly.

Just like we see today women not wanting to breast feed.

In addition: Sanitation was much better among Jewish women living under the Law of Moses.
Disease amongst unsanitary gentiles could have caused serious problems of their own..

Genez

Oct 12, 2017
That's a pretty rare thing to witness, someone who can be humble and admit to being incorrect. Because it can be a hard thing to do.
He saw understanding an accurate interpretation as essential.
And, he was painfully aware that he would stand before the Lord being accountable for how he used his gifts.

Oct 19, 2024
Some of the modern translations are easier to think is making sense than the KJV.

But too much gets lost in the translation.

Matthew 4:3?

"The tempter came to him and said, “If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread.”

All translations fail to convey the correct thought of that verse, leaving all at the mercy of speculation.

Another big one that gets taught erroneously because how it's been translated into our English makes none the wiser, is this one...

Titus 2:11-12

For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in the present age.

Teaching that from an English translation, though it sounds nice, will never convey what Paul intended.
MT 4:3 seems to be the NIV translation, so I don't see the problem with that. The NIV translation of Titus 2:11-12 is "For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. It teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled upright and godly lives in this present age." The slight difference there is "soberly" instead of "self-controlled", but I see no significant difference in meaning, although some might prefer that Paul said "Holy Spirit-controlled".

Bob-Carabbio

Jun 24, 2020
Titus 2:11-12 Authorized (King James) Version.

Could you please tell me what the KJV is saying here?

For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,

There's no such thing as an "Athiest" since God is clearly discerned by what he's made (Rom 1). The Bible lets us know that what God PROMISED in Genesis ("Crushing the devil's head") has been provided (the Gospel: Eph 2:8,9).

teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live
soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world."
God has let us know what HIS WILL FOR OUR LIVES is.