while reciting a worship book .....

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Oct 22, 2011
hi , friends, just came to seek an answer for a question that i am looking forward to get an answer :)
i hv seen many churches do follow a worship book in the church worship, wt i do observe is most of people just recite it even me aswell some time, without knowing wt does it mean :(
i think a lot of churches follow this method. do we need to follow such a worship pattern? by reciting the same which we r reciting for years?? i was just curious to know ur views on it:)
how should be an ideal worship? how does it go in your church?

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Well even if I don't understand some of the words in a song my spirit will still rise as i sing praise. Perhaps that is what is importants?

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Hello Rinu! Shalom. Jesus teaches about how pagans will make very long prayers thinking they will be heard for their multitude of words, they are not heard for this reason. He continues to teach us to pray by giving us the words to pray what many call the "Our Father." This holds true of repeating anything rote. It cannot be sincere if there is no understanding. Even in the Old Testament we are told to worship the Lord with understanding. Actually I believe the words are "praise God with understanding." He loves it when we are sincere when we pray or talk to Him. I think even people like to know that others understand what they are saying when conversing, otherwise there really is no conversation. Please let me know if this is helpful. God bless you and hold you close forever, amen...........[ QUOTE=rinu;972846]hi , friends, just came to seek an answer for a question that i am looking forward to get an answer :)
i hv seen many churches do follow a worship book in the church worship, wt i do observe is most of people just recite it even me aswell some time, without knowing wt does it mean :(
i think a lot of churches follow this method. do we need to follow such a worship pattern? by reciting the same which we r reciting for years?? i was just curious to know ur views on it:)
how should be an ideal worship? how does it go in your church?[/QUOTE]

Oct 22, 2011
Well even if I don't understand some of the words in a song my spirit will still rise as i sing praise. Perhaps that is what is importants?
so does that mean though if we recite without knowing it , it will work good?

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
The following is just one reference to worshiping our Maker with understanding. Psa 47:7 For God is the King of all the earth: sing ye praises with understanding.

Oct 22, 2011
The following is just one reference to worshiping our Maker with understanding. Psa 47:7 For God is the King of all the earth: sing ye praises with understanding.
thnks jaumej uncle! ur awesome :) ur answer is very helpfull, so does that mean we dont hv to follow a worship book? wts the relavance such books in a church worship?

A

AgapeSpiritEyes

so does that mean though if we recite without knowing it , it will work good?
To understand for me is that i have experiences that i am singing about, if i have not experienced what the content of the song that is being sung then i will vibrate(sing) with my soul which are my emotions and knowledge of experiences i have with the Lord Jesus. If i have not experienced what the song is talking about i do not relate or have that experience then i can not vibrate with my heart and soul for i have not that experience so i with draw my accompanyment and sing and praise from my heart all and any experiences i have and have had with the Lord Jesus. Singing and making a melody from your heart is the only accepable offering to the Lord and to God. If you are singing along with a song that you have real experiences with the Lord then you do not have doubts to your heart felt song(vibrations) from your soul to the Lord. Obviously the Lord knows if you had or have these experiences with Him and knows whether the song is really coming from your heart and soul.
GBYIAF

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
There is absolutely nothing amiss in reciting worship if it is understood and it comes from your heart. If it does not, it is just making noise. The Lord knows you love Him, and He always hears when we talk to Him with understanding. Talking, worship, prayer are all pretty much the same to our Father. It is amazing, He say, offer me the sacrifice of thanksgiving! That is amazing. He knows for us to thank Him is a sacrifice because it is the only thing we possess that we may give Him. Praise Him always. Praise Him with song. Praise Him with understanding. He is so good always, amen........

C

CDavid

I would have a talk with one of the church leaders. Perhaps it could be explained; the meaning of the recitation, and it's importance to their worship service.
If I were member of this church family, I would want to know and understand all the family values.

Twinkle77

Sep 1, 2012
hi , friends, just came to seek an answer for a question that i am looking forward to get an answer :)
how should be an ideal worship? how does it go in your church?
Everything that we do must be from the heart, whether it be reciting something or singing. It can be from a book or just something that we have in our mind. Reciting or singing without any meaning from the heart is just babbling.

God says he wants us to worship him in Spirit and in truth
John 4:24 God is spirit and his worshippers must worship in the spirit and in truth.

1 Samuel 16:7 The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance but the Lord looks at the heart.

So when you pray, pray from your heart;
When you sing, sing from your heart.
When you read the bible, meditate on his word and let it sink into your heart
This is our form of worship to God
animated-red-heart.gif

K

kenisyes

According to history, the catholic church started the practice of worship books in about 90AD in reponse to complaints that certain leaders of the communion service did not make up very good prayers. Since there was a period of a thousand years when most people could not read, memorizable prayers wound up ruling the day. That is what most Protestants copied.

I used to know several service orders by heart, but I prefer that people make up their own, as long as they can. It stays fresh that way, and it develops people's ability to "wing it" when talking about God, and that is a valuable evangelical tool as well.

There are people who swear by the superiority of either system. One advances spontaneity, the other advances quality of the prayers.

Oct 31, 2011
When we put all these answers together, it seems to be that it isn't the rules of how to worship, it is the worship itself.

The words of God are powerful. I find that just repeating words from prayers of spiritually grown people, I grow myself. I received the Holy Spirit when I couldn't for the life of me understand what God was saying in the bible and determined to read it anyway. The words sent power.

At the same time, it is the understanding we have that is important. If the words are dead to us, they have no power. The fault isn't in the words, but in our understanding.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
I attend a church that has no worship book to follow. In fact, I always have. But I know that liturgical worship can be very edifying, since the prayers are so beautiful and the service well planned. Plus it has the advantage of the readings going through the Bible in two years in most, so the congregation gets to hear the whole Word of God, not just sections.

I personally like a freer and more open service, but I think it is very hard to find that. The worship team or choir practices the songs, they cannot deviate easily. The pastor prepares his sermon in advance.

I guess the most important thing is that prayer and seeking God's will for the service happens before. No matter what the order or kind of service, the Holy Spirit should bless the congregation, when they seek the Lord and God is praised!

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
I hope we don't read the bible by rote...after all, day after day, written in a book, reading without meaning. YIKES!! Get my drift?
It or the worship book is only as dead as the reader.

P

paulr

I am very passionate about worship myself. I love worshiping God, but when i was not so close to God. I used to follow the same pattern as everyone did. That was because I did not understand the real meaning of worship. I understood the real meaning of worship from Rom 12:1 where Paul says Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God--this is your true and proper worship. Whether to follow the worship book or not is immaterial till the time we don't offer ourselves as a living sacrifice to God. But if the first part is done which is usually missed by people the other part is sorted as the spirit will help us understand everything.

rinu

Oct 22, 2011
I am very passionate about worship myself. I love worshiping God, but when i was not so close to God. I used to follow the same pattern as everyone did. That was because I did not understand the real meaning of worship. I understood the real meaning of worship from Rom 12:1 where Paul says Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God--this is your true and proper worship. Whether to follow the worship book or not is immaterial till the time we don't offer ourselves as a living sacrifice to God. But if the first part is done which is usually missed by people the other part is sorted as the spirit will help us understand everything.
thnks for that awesome reply paul, it really meant for me, well i always observed this pattern of a worhsip in most of here,so i always used to hv this question in my heart and tried to seek its answer always , but was never given a good reply :) we r living sacrifices! :)
well i feel more blessed wen i worship,pray,sing n praise more than this traditional methods. so was always confused of this question:) well thnks for all ur replys , this is a nice plat form :) where i can clear these confussions , well i hope i can help even my friend who comes with the same questions aswell thnks all!!