Who is receiving the Spirit?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
Well then it comes down to what gift is being received. They could have all got baptised and then the Holy Spirit dwelt amongst them 'in their midst '.

The other way to look at it.. is the baptism conditional on the receiving?

Because it isn't in plenty of other places.

The negative of this verse is not necessarily true of 'don't get baptized and you won't receive the Holy Spirit '
The gift (singular) is the Holy Ghost from which spiritual gifts (plural) originate. This is confirmed from the scriptures included below. (Acts 2:2-4, 33; 8:14-19. 19:1-7)

Also, keep in mind what Paul asked those in Acts 19, "Have you received the Holy Ghost since you believed?" Not, have you received a Holy Ghost gift. Another relevant aspect of this account is seen in verse 7. It makes clear that 12 men experienced receiving the Holy Ghost when Paul laid hands on them.

"And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance." Acts 2:2-4

Peter's explained what occurred:
"This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.
Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear." Acts 2:32-33

Acts 8:14-19
Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:
Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost:
(For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)

Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.

And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,
Saying, Give me also this power, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost."

Acts 19:6-7
And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.
And all the men were about twelve.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
"he said [and] to them, if Spirit Holy did you receive, having believed? " I've never had to question this. Its clear they were saved but never heard of the holy Spirit. What happened to the 120 which happened to everyone in there. Then they come out as if drunk then Peter by the sweet sweet holy Spirit shares.. "Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit." It's not originally written "spirit". It is Holy Sprit.

When Christ went up were the 12/120 saved? Yes were they all filled with the holy Spirit? No. Christ told them to wait for the promise. He said as long as I am here the holy Spirit will not come. So were they after Christ rose and then stayed 40 more days were they saved? Duh yes. But not filled with the holy Spirit. There is a difference in ones life after being filled/baptized. See He said "But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”

Again He said He will give the holy Spirit to them that ask. Its not some group thing. Those tongues of fire came over each one of them. He told us.. we know how to give good "gifts" to our children how much more is our Father then us? God said He will give the holy spirit to them that ask. I could careless what any man says about this. Father give me the holy Spirit.. THANK YOU Father.. for always keeping your word. Its walking living by faith. He said it you don't see it you don't feel it.. you know He did it.
The Apostle Paul explained that being saved is not possible unless a person has been indwelt by the Holy Spirit.

Rom 8:9-11
"But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
But IF the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you."

Also note, the gift that Jesus referenced in Luke 11 is the Holy Spirit. (singular) See Luke 11:13. This is not a reference to spiritual gifts that flow after a person has been indwelt by the Holy Ghost/Spirit.

Luke 11:9-12
And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.
For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent?
Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion?

Luke 11:13
If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
Well then it comes down to what gift is being received. They could have all got baptised and then the Holy Spirit dwelt amongst them 'in their midst '.

The other way to look at it.. is the baptism conditional on the receiving?

Because it isn't in plenty of other places.

The negative of this verse is not necessarily true of 'don't get baptized and you won't receive the Holy Spirit '
Acts 2:38 expresses the truth that those who obey the command and get water baptized in the name of Jesus will in fact receive the Holy Ghost. However, as confirmed elsewhere in the word, that does not mean at that exact moment. However, God's promise is sure. Faith and obedience to the message assures a person that they will at some point receive the Holy Ghost albeit in God's timing and for His purposes. All of the conversion accounts actually point to this truth: (Acts 2:38-41, 8:12-18, 9:17-18, 10:43-48, 19:1-6, 22:16)

The Samaritan account is a prime example. They believed the gospel message that included the baptism command as evidenced by their submitting to water baptism in the name of Jesus right away. However, it was not until days later that they were indwelt by the Holy Ghost. (Acts 8:12-19) This account reveals that people do not automatically receive the indwelling of the Holy Ghost upon belief. Also, I don't believe it was a coincidence that John was the one who accompanied Peter for the task. It was he who had previously asked Jesus if he could call down fire from heaven to destroy the Samaritans. (Luke 9:54) One could conclude God also chose to fulfil His promise at that precise time in order to teach John a very important message. Fire from heaven should be for the purpose of bringing life not death. Peter and John were used to assist in the Samaritans receiving the Holy Ghost.

The 12 Ephesians heard the same gospel message that included the need to be baptized in water in the name of Jesus and receive the Holy Ghost. Again, this account proves that a person can believe in Jesus yet still not be indwelt by the Holy Ghost. This account also reveals how a person is water baptized actually matters. So much so, that Paul rebaptized them in water in the name of Jesus. And it was after believing and obeying Paul that they received the Holy Ghost when Paul laid hands upon them. (Acts 19:1-7)

In the case of the Cornelius and other Gentiles, God knew their hearts. (Acts 15:7-8) He knew they would accept and obey the command to be water baptized in the name of Jesus. This could account for their being indwelt by the Spirit first. It is possible that Peter may not have administered water baptism if not for this absolute proof that they were accepted. Peter actually expresses this in Acts 11. Pay close attention to how Peter's statement "about withstanding God" relates to the account in Acts 10:43-48. Peter commanded they be baptized in water in the name of Jesus AFTER they were filled with the Holy Ghost. This sheds light on how neglecting to command water baptism is to withstand the purposes of God to grant repentance unto life. (Acts 11:17-18)

Acts 11:17-18
"Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God?
When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life."

We can know that both water baptism in the name of Jesus and being indwelt with the Holy Ghost is necessary since the word provides 2-3 witnesses that establish this truth. (Matt 18:16, 2 Cor. 13:1)

Thysia81

Apr 8, 2024
Dunno who receives, but for sure am scared of Him

FollowerofShiloh

Jan 24, 2024
No... but when people sense Him i get dizzy and feel sick
If you believe that you are not saved or know that you are not saved, say this out loud word for word and mean it like it means life or death for you.

Dear Jesus,
I believe that You are Who You claim to be, Lord, God, and Savior and only way to the Father.
I confess that I am a sinner and lost without You.
I repent of my sins.
I ask that You come into my heart and change me.
I make You my Lord and Savior.
Amen!

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
If you believe that you are not saved or know that you are not saved, say this out loud word for word and mean it like it means life or death for you.

Dear Jesus,
I believe that You are Who You claim to be, Lord, God, and Savior and only way to the Father.
I confess that I am a sinner and lost without You.
I repent of my sins.
I ask that You come into my heart and change me.
I make You my Lord and Savior.
Amen!
How do you 'make' Him Lord and Saviour? He is Lord and Saviour.. I know that.

Isn't He saving you rather than you making Him into something?

I know sometimes these words are just semantics, but salvation has gotta be all coming from Him when we ask for it..not us.

He gives eternal life, He keeps it. We just call for it.

FollowerofShiloh

Jan 24, 2024
How do you 'make' Him Lord and Saviour? He is Lord and Saviour.. I know that.

Isn't He saving you rather than you making Him into something?

I know sometimes these words are just semantics, but salvation has gotta be all coming from Him when we ask for it..not us.

He gives eternal life, He keeps it. We just call for it.
Let's say this person is not saved but see's you contending over something you think is trivial.
Let's say he rejects God now based upon it.
Are you so trivial you would mess up someone who could be possibly seeking salvation?

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
Acts 2:38 expresses the truth that those who obey the command and get water baptized in the name of Jesus will in fact receive the Holy Ghost. However, as confirmed elsewhere in the word, that does not mean at that exact moment. However, God's promise is sure. Faith and obedience to the message assures a person that they will at some point receive the Holy Ghost albeit in God's timing and for His purposes. All of the conversion accounts actually point to this truth: (Acts 2:38-41, 8:12-18, 9:17-18, 10:43-48, 19:1-6, 22:16)

The Samaritan account is a prime example. They believed the gospel message that included the baptism command as evidenced by their submitting to water baptism in the name of Jesus right away. However, it was not until days later that they were indwelt by the Holy Ghost. (Acts 8:12-19) This account reveals that people do not automatically receive the indwelling of the Holy Ghost upon belief. Also, I don't believe it was a coincidence that John was the one who accompanied Peter for the task. It was he who had previously asked Jesus if he could call down fire from heaven to destroy the Samaritans. (Luke 9:54) One could conclude God also chose to fulfil His promise at that precise time in order to teach John a very important message. Fire from heaven should be for the purpose of bringing life not death. Peter and John were used to assist in the Samaritans receiving the Holy Ghost.

The 12 Ephesians heard the same gospel message that included the need to be baptized in water in the name of Jesus and receive the Holy Ghost. Again, this account proves that a person can believe in Jesus yet still not be indwelt by the Holy Ghost. This account also reveals how a person is water baptized actually matters. So much so, that Paul rebaptized them in water in the name of Jesus. And it was after believing and obeying Paul that they received the Holy Ghost when Paul laid hands upon them. (Acts 19:1-7)

In the case of the Cornelius and other Gentiles, God knew their hearts. (Acts 15:7-8) He knew they would accept and obey the command to be water baptized in the name of Jesus. This could account for their being indwelt by the Spirit first. It is possible that Peter may not have administered water baptism if not for this absolute proof that they were accepted. Peter actually expresses this in Acts 11. Pay close attention to how Peter's statement "about withstanding God" relates to the account in Acts 10:43-48. Peter commanded they be baptized in water in the name of Jesus AFTER they were filled with the Holy Ghost. This sheds light on how neglecting to command water baptism is to withstand the purposes of God to grant repentance unto life. (Acts 11:17-18)

Acts 11:17-18
"Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God?
When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life."

We can know that both water baptism in the name of Jesus and being indwelt with the Holy Ghost is necessary since the word provides 2-3 witnesses that establish this truth. (Matt 18:16, 2 Cor. 13:1)
You've got earning salvation mixed I here.

Before getting converted there is nothing we can do as works that will get us saved because we are dead in sin.

So with these Acts passages, you gotta look at when exactly the individual receiving is. It is not earned or giving because of obedience.

The only time it is obedience is obeying the prompting by God to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
Let's say this person is not saved but see's you contending over something you think is trivial.
Let's say he rejects God now based upon it.
Are you so trivial you would mess up someone who could be possibly seeking salvation?
Well it's not that trivial..it's gotta be salvation all from Him..not us. But I will leave it there.

Edify

Jan 27, 2021
When I accepted Christ, I MADE Him MY personal Lord & Savior. I am His & He is mine.
It's MY decision.... He is forever MY Lord. He already wanted me, but I needed to be drawn in by the Holy Spirit to see my need for Him. But it was in the end my decision. I'm forever grateful for that opportunity.:)

2ndTimeIsTheCharm

Feb 17, 2023
When I accepted Christ, I MADE Him MY personal Lord & Savior. I am His & He is mine.
It's MY decision.... He is forever MY Lord. He already wanted me, but I needed to be drawn in by the Holy Spirit to see my need for Him. But it was in the end my decision. I'm forever grateful for that opportunity.:)

I completely agree that this is the way it is. Tell me, when you met your wife and fell in love with her, would you have preferred her to love you back out of her own choice or would you force her to love you back by casting a spell on her? You want love to be real and mutual and that's why you wanted her to love you back out of her own choice.

God is like that too! God want us to choose Him from our own hearts. It's not love if it's forced or "automated".

🎣

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
Amen, thank you for that testimony. When I say it's all Him and not us.. I mean we still ask/call for salvation. But that when it happens it's not our commitment to Him.. but His to us. So it's not salvation coming from us, but from Him.

Anyway, God bless and thank you.