Who is the Angel Michael?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017

Just as God took on “flesh” and became “human,” could God also take on angelic flesh and become “angelic”?

Is Michael “God in angelic form”?

No wrong or right answers here - just thoughts and opinions........let everyone speak and respect each other. :love:(y)

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
No wrong or right answers here
When dealing with Bible subjects, this does not apply.

Michael is an archangel, a created angelic spirit being, and definitely not God, but subordinate to God.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
To me Micheal is what the Bible declares him... An Angel.. Just like the Angel Gabriel.. Or any other created Angel...

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017

Michael is an archangel, a created angelic spirit being, and definitely not God, but subordinate to God.
Yes, it does apply. It’s called Bible DISCUSSION.

We’re discussing the Bible which means we are stating our thoughts, interpretation and opinions because we are searching for Truth.

Have you noticed a lot of us DO NOT AGREE.....:unsure:

So how about we all get to freely state our truth or belief and then discuss it under the microscope of the Bible - God’s Word and find some answers to our questions.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
I asked this question because in Revelation 19 when an angel refers to itself as a fellow servant and instructs John that together (human and angels) worship Yeshua/Jesus Christ.

We know there was a war in heaven and Satan took 1/3 of the angels. We know that ONLY Michael can defeat Satan in the angelic realm.

Is it possible that The Word took on “angelic flesh” and dwelt among them? ....and was called Michael?

FollowtheShepherd

Sep 15, 2019
his name means: "who is like God"

mi'-ka-el a created being that does the will of the Father

Sep 6, 2014
I asked this question because in Revelation 19 when an angel refers to itself as a fellow servant and instructs John that together (human and angels) worship Yeshua/Jesus Christ.

We know there was a war in heaven and Satan took 1/3 of the angels. We know that ONLY Michael can defeat Satan in the angelic realm.

Is it possible that The Word took on “angelic flesh” and dwelt among them? ....and was called Michael?
Hebrews 1:4-6 would seem to negate that notion.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
Where do you get this from?

I think an argument could be made for the angel of the Lord being Jesus (some have suggested that) particularly the Joshua encounter... but referring to Michael as such is error in my view. In fact there's some cult that equates status and I seem to recall coming across it on the radio recently.

Also, worship of angels is forbidden but of course that is not so with the Lord so why would he manifest as one? Honoring of angels is proscribed, just not worship. May be a large distance or a small one, for me it's a difficult distinction.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Excellent post! You answered with scripture and was not offensive!

Let’s post the scripture:

So he became as much superior to the angels as the name he has inherited is superior to theirs.

For to which of the angels did God ever say, “You are my Son; today I have become your Father”?

Or again, “I will be his Father, and he will be my Son” ?

And again, when God brings his firstborn into the world, he says, “Let all God’s angels worship him.”

In speaking of the angels he says, “He makes his angels spirits, and his servants flames of fire.”

But about the Son he says, “Your throne, O God, will last for ever and ever; a scepter of justice will be the scepter of your kingdom. You have loved righteousness and hated wickedness; therefore God, your God, has set you above your companions by anointing you with the oil of joy.”

He also says, “In the beginning, Lord, you laid the foundations of the earth, and the heavens are the work of your hands. They will perish, but you remain; they will all wear out like a garment. You will roll them up like a robe; like a garment they will be changed. But you remain the same, and your years will never end.”

To which of the angels did God ever say, “Sit at my right hand until I make your enemies a footstool for your feet”?

Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?
Hebrews 1:4-14 - https://www.biblegateway.com/passage?search=Hebrews 1:4-14&version=NIV

I had to post more than Hebrews 1:4. :giggle:

So, this leads us to believe that.... No, the Angel Michael is not The Word in angelic flesh.

Great job using scripture! :love:(y)

Sep 6, 2014
Excellent post! You answered with scripture and was not offensive!

Let’s post the scripture:

So he became as much superior to the angels as the name he has inherited is superior to theirs.

For to which of the angels did God ever say, “You are my Son; today I have become your Father”?

Or again, “I will be his Father, and he will be my Son” ?

And again, when God brings his firstborn into the world, he says, “Let all God’s angels worship him.”

In speaking of the angels he says, “He makes his angels spirits, and his servants flames of fire.”

But about the Son he says, “Your throne, O God, will last for ever and ever; a scepter of justice will be the scepter of your kingdom. You have loved righteousness and hated wickedness; therefore God, your God, has set you above your companions by anointing you with the oil of joy.”

He also says, “In the beginning, Lord, you laid the foundations of the earth, and the heavens are the work of your hands. They will perish, but you remain; they will all wear out like a garment. You will roll them up like a robe; like a garment they will be changed. But you remain the same, and your years will never end.”

To which of the angels did God ever say, “Sit at my right hand until I make your enemies a footstool for your feet”?

Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?
Hebrews 1:4-14 - https://www.biblegateway.com/passage?search=Hebrews 1:4-14&version=NIV

I had to post more than Hebrews 1:4. :giggle:

So, this leads us to believe that.... No, the Angel Michael is not The Word in angelic flesh.

Great job using scripture! :love:(y)
All Glory to God in Jesus Christ my friend.
Thank you for edification. You are loved sis.

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
Hi Lafftur, I know that the idea is a popular notion in certain circles these days, that Jesus and Michael may be one and the same being (and I know that it has been taught as being true by some of our cults, including the JW's and SDA, I believe), but I think Jude makes it pretty clear that Michael is who the Bible says he is, an Archangel, IOW, someone who the Lord created, ~not~ the Lord Himself.

When you consider the following, what do you think :unsure:

Jude
9 Michael the archangel, when he disputed with the devil and argued about the body of Moses, did not dare pronounce against him a railing judgment, but said, “The Lord rebuke you!”

God bless you!

~Deut

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015

Hello Lafftur,

Just fyi, your question is reminiscent of the beliefs of the Jehovas Witnesses, who believe that Jesus is Michael the archangel incarnate. Michael along with all angels, are created beings.

Furthermore, Jesus appeared in the flesh, i.e. became a human being, because it was the only way that He could redeem us by being one of us. Unless there is a shedding of blood there is no forgiveness for sins. Mankind couldn't pay the penalty because we are tainted by sin, where Jesus (as a human) wasn't. It is because He was without sin that He could pay the penalty for sin, ours, not His.

Also, there is no scripture that would even hint at Jesus being Michael the archangel. Regarding this scripture says the following:

"Yet to which of the angels did God ever say:

'Sit at My right hand until I make Your enemies a footstool for Your feet.' "

The answer to the above would be, never and which infers that Jesus is not an angel, but the creator.

By the way, that war in heaven between Michael and his angels vs. Satan and his angels, is yet a future event which will take place in the middle of that last seven years. Satan and his angels being cast out of heaven and restricted to the earth will be the results of the 7th trumpet/3rd woe.

Scripture makes clear that Michael is an archangel, and therefore a created being.

Jan 12, 2019
Hello Lafftur,

Just fyi, your question is reminiscent of the beliefs of the Jehovas Witnesses, who believe that Jesus is Michael the archangel incarnate. Michael along with all angels, are created beings.

Furthermore, Jesus appeared in the flesh, i.e. became a human being, because it was the only way that He could redeem us by being one of us. Unless there is a shedding of blood there is no forgiveness for sins. Mankind couldn't pay the penalty because we are tainted by sin, where Jesus (as a human) wasn't. It is because He was without sin that He could pay the penalty for sin, ours, not His.

Also, there is no scripture that would even hint at Jesus being Michael the archangel. Regarding this scripture says the following:

"Yet to which of the angels did God ever say:

'Sit at My right hand until I make Your enemies a footstool for Your feet.' "

The answer to the above would be, never and which infers that Jesus is not an angel, but the creator.

By the way, that war in heaven between Michael and his angels vs. Satan and his angels, is yet a future event which will take place in the middle of that last seven years. Satan and his angels being cast out of heaven and restricted to the earth will be the results of the 7th trumpet/3rd woe.

Scripture makes clear that Michael is an archangel, and therefore a created being.
She probably got the terms archangel and the angel of the lord mixed up

Nov 23, 2013

Jesus was the angel of the Lord all throughout the Old Testament and no I am not a JW. :)

Gen 22:11 And the angel of the LORD called unto him out of heaven, and said, Abraham, Abraham: and he said, Here am I.
Gen 22:12 And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me.

The angel (messenger) of the Lord called out to Abraham and the angel (messenger) said I know you fear God (the Father) because you have not withheld him from ME (God the son).

This flies in the face of "MAINLINE" Christianity so you will get nothing but accusations of being a JW and rude comments from the "scholars" here.

I believe Michael is Jesus Christ because Jesus Christ STOOD UP (Daniel 12:1) on the cross and delivered his people.

Thank you for having the guts to even ask the question. :)

Nov 23, 2013
Hi Lafftur, I know that the idea is a popular notion in certain circles these days, that Jesus and Michael may be one and the same being (and I know that it has been taught as being true by some of our cults, including the JW's and SDA, I believe), but I think Jude makes it pretty clear that Michael is who the Bible says he is, an Archangel, IOW, someone who the Lord created, ~not~ the Lord Himself.

When you consider the following, what do you think :unsure:

Jude
9 Michael the archangel, when he disputed with the devil and argued about the body of Moses, did not dare pronounce against him a railing judgment, but said, “The Lord rebuke you!”

God bless you!

~Deut
Arch simply means principle or CHIEF.
Angel simply means MESSENGER.
Jesus was the angel of the Lord throughout the Old Testament.
Jesus was the ARCH (chief) ANGEL (messenger) of the Lord throughout the Old Testament.

arch (adj.)

1540s, "chief, principal," from separate use of the prefix arch-, which is attested from late Old English (in archangel, archbishop, etc.). The prefix figured in so many derogatory uses (arch-rogue, arch-knave, etc.) that by mid-17c. it had acquired a meaning of "roguish, mischievous," softened by 19c. to "saucy." The shifting sense is exemplified by archwife (late 14c.), variously defined as "a wife of a superior order" or "a dominating woman, virago." Related: Archly; archness.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
I believe Michael is Jesus Christ...
Then he would have had no problem rebuking Satan. But he couldn't -- and wouldn't ---because he is not the LORD.

On the other hand when Christ commissions him to take down Satan and his evil angels in the future, he will be under divine orders, and will fulfil his responsibility.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
his name means: "who is like God"

mi'-ka-el a created being that does the will of the Father
Don't forget the question mark - "who is like God?" Of course, the answer to this rhetorical question is no one is like God. I was once in a discussion with a Seventh Day Adventist who left out the question mark and the end result was him stating that the proper meaning of the name "Michael" is one who is "as" God. I'm not implying you teach that too, but it can result in a different meaning and lead to confusion.

The name for "Micah" is also "who is like God?" I did not hear the Seventh Day Adventist claim that Micah was "as" God as well.

Hevosmies

Sep 8, 2018

Amen.There is no "you believe what you believe I believe what I believe". Thats some modern wishywashy junk! There is only one TRUTH and thats about it!

And you just stated it there. Michael is an archangel, NOT JESUS as the Jehovah's falsewitnesses claim, NOT GOD. Thats it!

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013

Just as God took on “flesh” and became “human,” could God also take on angelic flesh and become “angelic”?

No wrong or right answers here - just thoughts and opinions........let everyone speak and respect each other. :love:(y)
In my opinion. No. Michael is an angel created by God. A separate being from God, the Holy Trinity.

God did not create Jesus, Jesus is God, God is Jesus and the Holy Spirit. Scriptures say that "nothing was created without Him." Speaking of Jesus...…….so Jesus created Michael.

I see this idea floated here from time to time about God/Jesus being some other person that is recorded in Scripture BEFORE Christ came to earth as the baby Jesus. Don't buy any of them.

bluto

Aug 4, 2016
Jesus was the angel of the Lord all throughout the Old Testament and no I am not a JW. :)

Gen 22:11 And the angel of the LORD called unto him out of heaven, and said, Abraham, Abraham: and he said, Here am I.
Gen 22:12 And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me.

The angel (messenger) of the Lord called out to Abraham and the angel (messenger) said I know you fear God (the Father) because you have not withheld him from ME (God the son).

This flies in the face of "MAINLINE" Christianity so you will get nothing but accusations of being a JW and rude comments from the "scholars" here.

I believe Michael is Jesus Christ because Jesus Christ STOOD UP (Daniel 12:1) on the cross and delivered his people.

Thank you for having the guts to even ask the question. :)
Impossible kjv, the angel of the Lord in the OT is "NOT" Michael the arc-angel. In fact you quoted Genesis 22 but notice what verses 15-18 read? "Then the angel of the Lord called out to Abraham a second time from heaven, vs16, and said, By Myself I have sworn declares the Lord, because you have done this thing, and have not withheld your son, your only son , vs17, indeed I will greatly bless you and multiply your seed as the stars of the heavens, and as the sand which is on the seashore; and your seed shall possess the gate of their enemies."

So what is the point? The point is the fact that angels "CANNOT" swear oaths on behalf of God Almighty Himself. Plus you have the writer of Hebrews stating this at Hebrews 6:13-14, "For when God made the promise to Abraham, since He could not swear by no one greater, HE SWORD BY HIMSELF, vs14, saying, "I will surely bless you; and I will surely multiply you."

It could not be more clear as to who made the covenant with Abraham, who swore the oath and who multiplied Abraham's seed. Plus the fact that angels or Michael the arc-angel is greater than God Himself. And btw, Daniel 12:1 is speaking of the great tribulation and has nothing to do with Jesus being Michael. I know what it says at 1 Thessalonians 4:16 where it says, "with the voice of an archangel" but that does not make Jesus an arcangel. I can use my voice and bark like a dog but it does not mean I'm a dog.

Finally, I can provide even more evidence to you position that Jesus is Michael but I just gave you the best evidence possible. :eek:

IN THE ANGEL OF THE LORD,
bluto