Who was Jesus praying to in the garden of Gethsemane?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Platosgal

Mar 17, 2020
This line of questioning is a bit of a trap

If the member does not believe
Jesus is God
Then he is not a Christian
The term trinity is a lure as is the questions / statements made

The bible is clear
John 3:18
18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth NOT is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Platosgal

Mar 17, 2020
Despite the quotation of much scripture my questions weren't answered.
If Jesus is God then why would he need to pray to himself?

Doesn't make sense to me. Jesus prays to God the Father in his darkest hours for strength. Just as i do
Clearly another identity. God is omniscient and omnipotent and doesn't need to pray to himself.

Most of Christs words are in parables. They're metaphors. A figure of speech.
Actions speak louder than words and Christ's actions indicate there is a greater God. Who art in heaven, as he says

He speaks about God many times but more importantly he speaks to God and God speaks back.
"This is my son. With him i am well pleased"... God says that, remember. More than once even i think. Once at baptism i think and once when Moses and Elijah appear, if im not mistaken... God says THIS IS MY SON...

Im surprised how many Protestants adhere to the Trinity given that the term was created by the Catholic Church and does not appear once in scripture
If Jesus is not God to you
Then You are not his
And why are u pretending you are a "Christian" if you are not?

What are u getting out of this ?

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
Despite the quotation of much scripture my questions weren't answered.

Doesn't make sense to me. Jesus prays to God the Father in his darkest hours for strength. Just as i do
Clearly another identity. God is omniscient and omnipotent and doesn't need to pray to himself.

Most of Christs words are in parables. They're metaphors. A figure of speech.
Actions speak louder than words and Christ's actions indicate there is a greater God. Who art in heaven, as he says

He speaks about God many times but more importantly he speaks to God and God speaks back.
"This is my son. With him i am well pleased"... God says that, remember. More than once even i think. Once at baptism i think and once when Moses and Elijah appear, if im not mistaken... God says THIS IS MY SON...

Im surprised how many Protestants adhere to the Trinity given that the term was created by the Catholic Church and does not appear once in scripture
Prayer is generally approached as a time to present requests, when it should be much more than that, i.e., more than seeking God's presence as much as being in God's presence... Did Jesus as much 'seek' Father's presence as He sought time, alone, with Father for somethings, if not many things, that we cannot receive from anyone or anything else in the world, such as love power and a sound mind (by which to recalibrate after engaging with a crowd of nutjobs)...

I'm glad you brought up that transfiguration account. I take it as no coincidence that I thought to use it in example... God says, THIS IS MY SON... and continues with the command, LISTEN TO HIM... why? Up to this time God hadn't command anyone This is Moses, Listen to him... or This is Noah... etc...Notice that the only time we've seen anything similar is contained within the Shema (Hear and Obey) that begins, "Hear (Listen), O Israel, The Lord is your God, the Lord is One..."

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
Prayer is generally approached as a time to present requests, when it should be much more than that, i.e., more than seeking God's presence as much as being in God's presence... Did Jesus as much 'seek' Father's presence as He sought time, alone, with Father for somethings, if not many things, that we cannot receive from anyone or anything else in the world, such as love power and a sound mind (by which to recalibrate after engaging with a crowd of nutjobs)...

I'm glad you brought up that transfiguration account. I take it as no coincidence that I thought to use it in example... God says, THIS IS MY SON... and continues with the command, LISTEN TO HIM... why? Up to this time God hadn't command anyone This is Moses, Listen to him... or This is Noah... etc...Notice that the only time we've seen anything similar is contained within the Shema (Hear and Obey) that begins, "Hear (Listen), O Israel, The Lord is your God, the Lord is One..."
I wanted to add an afterthought of Moses regarding his personal relationship with God. God said that He speaks to Moses face to face, as a friend... what do you suppose put Moses in that (exclusive?) category? I believe it is because he listened, as friends do well, he was a good listener.

Journeyman

Jan 10, 2019
This is what iv never understood... How can Jesus be God...

God is omniscient and omnipotent. Jesus shows us that he isn't these things and prays to God for strength.
Dear friend,
Everything our Lord Jesus did in his human body was for our benefit, to teach us how we should do things. He also said,

I knew that you always hear me, but I said this for the benefit of the people standing here, that they may believe that you sent me.” Jn.11:42

He also knew that these words would be recorded and read the world over. So hear we are and seeing how our great Lord humbled himself as an example to is, how should we behave?

Who in the days of his flesh, when he had offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears unto him that was able to save him from death, and was heard in that he feared;
Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered. Heb.5:7-8

If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not? Heb.12:7

Hope this helps you.

Jun 22, 2020
Australia
Then You are not his

Well they are good questions that i have been asking myself...
Am i a Christian? I thought i was 2 years ago. i don't know now. Which one of the 44,000 denominations are right?
What defines a Christian? Does one have to understand the Trinity to be a Christian?

Because i was ready to say that im not a Christian because i don't understand how Jesus can be God
Does one need understanding? God welcomes children... What do they know. Nothing... They have faith
faith is greater than understanding. True?

I think the orthodox has this same view, that Christ is the son, and they're Christian.

So i dunno... U tell me... Am i Christian? Whats your opinion?
I believe there is God, Satan and that Christ is the son and our saviour.
I don't have too many other firm beliefs. Ami i a Christian?

Oh and im not pretending to be anything...
I was atheist for 10 years then agnostic for 10 years so im greatful to be back with God.
Excuse me if i haven't defined myself correctly when i joined and if i have maybe changed

Perhaps i should change it to theist if it bothers you. I can't find where but

Jun 22, 2020
Australia
Prayer is generally approached as a time to present requests
I for me. I generally believe that we are given our paths and that we must bare our cross and endure hardships...

when it should be much more than that
True

Did Jesus as much 'seek' Father's presence as He sought time, alone, with Father for somethings, if not many things, that we cannot receive from anyone or anything else in the world, such as love power and a sound mind (by which to recalibrate after engaging with a crowd of nutjobs)...
LoL... True... Christ was basically asking for the strength to overcome the upcoming challenge which he was about to face...
That is my favourite thing to pray about... Who am i to ask God to change His plan because my feeble mind cannot comprehend...
I feel embarrassed asking such a thing... And so i pray for strength and guidance mostly...

I'm glad you brought up that transfiguration account.
The transfiguration. Yes. That term escaped me...

I take it as no coincidence that I thought to use it in example... God says, THIS IS MY SON... and continues with the command, LISTEN TO HIM... why? Up to this time God hadn't command anyone This is Moses, Listen to him... or This is Noah... etc...Notice that the only time we've seen anything similar is contained within the Shema (Hear and Obey) that begins, "Hear (Listen), O Israel, The Lord is your God, the Lord is One..."
True...

I believe in God and Christ is the son... I don't understand the trinity...
God have the mercy to forgive my ignorance...

Jun 22, 2020
Australia
Then You are not his

Looking further into it, Ifound this...

"The Trinity is a controversial doctrine; many Christians admit they don't understand it, while many more Christians don't understand it but think they do."

Either you admit you don't understand it or you pretend you do, they say...
Well... The RCC definitely admits they don't understand. Their Christians...

Its safe to say that im still a Christian but thanks for making me reflect on that...
The obnoxious tone was unnecessary though. Its unpleasant, u know what i mean... Making unfounded accusations.
"What am i getting out of it?"... What did u think, kicks from arguing about God like most Christians... I hate arguing about God and watching all you guys argue about all those doctrines makes me ask myself if im a Christian as well. Everyone thinks that they know everything and understand it all and that everyone else is wrong. Pride fills these forums...

I concede my ignorance to God. Like a child, i understand very little

CS1

May 23, 2012
I'm sure people argue over the Trinity but despite that, scripture supports it so ill leave it at that.
yea and you are an example of what I am talking about, I will leave that right here too. Did you have to have the last word? now you can.

Platosgal

Mar 17, 2020
Well they are good questions that i have been asking myself...
Am i a Christian? I thought i was 2 years ago. i don't know now. Which one of the 44,000 denominations are right?
What defines a Christian? Does one have to understand the Trinity to be a Christian?

Because i was ready to say that im not a Christian because i don't understand how Jesus can be God
Does one need understanding? God welcomes children... What do they know. Nothing... They have faith
faith is greater than understanding. True?

I think the orthodox has this same view, that Christ is the son, and they're Christian.

So i dunno... U tell me... Am i Christian? Whats your opinion?
I believe there is God, Satan and that Christ is the son and our saviour.
I don't have too many other firm beliefs. Ami i a Christian?

Oh and im not pretending to be anything...
I was atheist for 10 years then agnostic for 10 years so im greatful to be back with God.
Excuse me if i haven't defined myself correctly when i joined and if i have maybe changed

Perhaps i should change it to theist if it bothers you. I can't find where but

If you are sincere in your quest for THE TRUTH
( and there IS only one truth)

You will find it - through repentance, prayer and the unfiltered Bible

Read the book of John also side of the book of Isaiah
Without any input from anyone
Just read what it says

Argument accomplishes nothing

I apologize for my insensitivity - however I understand human philosophy and also know the power of God

Apr 15, 2017
It's a simple enough question. True?

The man Christ Jesus was praying to the Father.

Jesus is God for He is God manifest in the flesh, and according to Him being God He has no beginning for He is from everlasting.

Jesus is God and man, but the man Christ Jesus was praying to the Father.

But this is what I want someone to explain concerning the trinity.

Joh 16:23 And in that day ye shall ask me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you.

Jesus said when He resurrects to heaven to not ask Him anything but only ask the Father and He will do it.

We are only to ask the Father.

Joh 14:13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
Joh 14:14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

But here Jesus said when He resurrects to heaven to ask Him and He will do it.

Why would Jesus say only ask the Father and then say ask Him.

Isa 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Why would the Son be called the everlasting Father.

1Co 8:6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him.

Eph 4:6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

If there is a trinity why would the Bible say there is only one God the Father.

Jesus is God that has no beginning but is He our Father and the Son according to His humanity and there is no God the Son.

I would like someone to explain this that says we have to believe in the trinity with these verses saying there is only one God the Father, and Jesus said to only ask the Father and then said ask Him, and the Son shall be called the everlasting Father.

john832

May 31, 2013
God the Father. It is best understood in the context of the Trinity. The evidence for a 3 in 1 God. 1 God manifests into three separate beings but still of one essence. It is pretty evident in the scriptures but hard to comprehend the question of how does this work. God is beyond our capabilities to completely understand. That's why He is God.
Just out of curiosity, if these three are one, who died?

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
Just out of curiosity, if these three are one, who died?
Died? God is eternal. If you mean the manifestation in the flesh then the flesh was dead for 3 days while the Divine nature of Jesus in the Spirit went and preached to those in holding before the days of the flood. But in resurrection, Jesus takes back the flesh but now as His glorified and fully divine nature. So essentially, God the Father, God the Son, and God the Spirit never dies.

john832

May 31, 2013
Died? God is eternal. If you mean the manifestation in the flesh then the flesh was dead for 3 days while the Divine nature of Jesus in the Spirit went and preached to those in holding before the days of the flood. But in resurrection, Jesus takes back the flesh but now as His glorified and fully divine nature. So essentially, God the Father, God the Son, and God the Spirit never dies.
Christ died and was resurrected. If He did not die, then He did not pay the death penalty for your sins. He did not just shed His skin, He died in our stead. That is why the Father resurrected Him 3 days and 3 nights later. He was dead.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Why would anyone even ask this question, since the answer is already within the prayers of Christ is Gethsemane? Obviously He was praying to God the Father.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
Christ died and was resurrected. If He did not die, then He did not pay the death penalty for your sins. He did not just shed His skin, He died in our stead. That is why the Father resurrected Him 3 days and 3 nights later. He was dead.
1 Peter 3:18-19
New International Version

18 For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive in the Spirit. 19 After being made alive, he went and made proclamation to the imprisoned spirits—

Put to death in the body but made alive in the Spirit. He simply changed locations. As to why the Bible often uses the words, he fell asleep once death occurs. Because technically, the soul is eternal. Nothing wrong with saying he died. The flesh did die, but the spirit kept on preaching.

Jun 22, 2020
Australia
The man Christ Jesus was praying to the Father.

Jesus is God for He is God manifest in the flesh, and according to Him being God He has no beginning for He is from everlasting.

Jesus is God and man, but the man Christ Jesus was praying to the Father.

But this is what I want someone to explain concerning the trinity.

Joh 16:23 And in that day ye shall ask me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you.

Jesus said when He resurrects to heaven to not ask Him anything but only ask the Father and He will do it.

We are only to ask the Father.

Joh 14:13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
Joh 14:14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

But here Jesus said when He resurrects to heaven to ask Him and He will do it.

Why would Jesus say only ask the Father and then say ask Him.

Isa 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Why would the Son be called the everlasting Father.

1Co 8:6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him.

Eph 4:6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

If there is a trinity why would the Bible say there is only one God the Father.

Jesus is God that has no beginning but is He our Father and the Son according to His humanity and there is no God the Son.

I would like someone to explain this that says we have to believe in the trinity with these verses saying there is only one God the Father, and Jesus said to only ask the Father and then said ask Him, and the Son shall be called the everlasting Father.
It seems it can't be explained or properly understood...
The RCC invented the term "trinity" and they can't explain it. They call it a mystery. So any of these attempts by humans to explain it 2000 years later are simply feeble.

No one really understand's it. Few dare to admit it

Jun 22, 2020
Australia
I read once that faith begins on the the edges of understanding...
I think that's fairly accurate...

Apr 15, 2017
It seems it can't be explained or properly understood...
The RCC invented the term "trinity" and they can't explain it. They call it a mystery. So any of these attempts by humans to explain it 2000 years later are simply feeble.

No one really understand's it. Few dare to admit it
It seems that the Protestants did not protest enough for they held unto the trinity.

When the Bible says one God it means one God.

There is one God who is a Holy Spirit which the Spirit moved in creation, and Jesus was conceived by the Spirit, and the Spirit dwells in the saints, and Father is a title, and the Son is the man Christ Jesus.

The Bible says there is only one God the Father who is above all, and through all, and in you all, for He is an omnipresent Spirit.

Jesus is God for He is God manifest in the flesh, and He is from everlasting, and He dwells in the light which no person can approach unto, and no person has see Jesus and no person will ever see Jesus because He is an invisible Spirit but He showed us a visible manifestation of Himself.

And He cannot be a created God for God said there was no God formed before Him and there will be no God formed after Him.

Also there is no such thing as a created God for God means supreme being and a created God would be made of physical matter which is inferior to God's substance as a Spirit, and even the angels are made of physical matter although they are considered spiritual for God made nothing with His Spirit substance.

But this throws people off how Jesus can be God for how can God fit in a human body when He is an omnipresent Spirit.

When the Bible says that God was manifest in the flesh it means that He manifest all His attributes to the man Christ Jesus for He is the fulness of the Godhead bodily, and it pleased the Father that in Him all fulness should dwell, and He has the Spirit without measure.

And the Spirit in Christ is still connected to the omnipresent Spirit of God for God cannot be separated.

Which the man Christ Jesus does not have His own personal Spirit that moves around with Him for there cannot be a double portion of the Spirit in one place and an empty space where the Spirit is not at but Jesus moves through the Spirit and wherever He is at the Spirit is there.

The same as the saints that they walk through the Spirit.

The Spirit does not have to move for the Spirit is already there.

Which makes it easy to understand how Jesus can be God when He is showing a visible manifestation of Himself.

Jesus is like the saints according to being in the flesh except He is the fulness of the Godhead bodily where the saints have partial attributes.

The Bible says that the Son was made according to the flesh of the seed of David, and when the time was come God sent forth His Son made of a woman, made under the law.

The Son is the man Christ Jesus and there is no God the Son, which the Son is the personal human body of God which He laid down His life for the saints and purchased the Church with His own blood.

And God reconciled the world unto Himself in the person of Jesus Christ, God and man in harmony, and everyone that has the Spirit working in their life after being saved is God and person in harmony.

That is why they cannot understand it and say it is a mystery for there is only one God the Father and no trinity.

Jesus is the Father according to Him being God for there is only one God the Father, and He is the Son according to His humanity like a person has the Spirit but they are human.

That is why Jesus said if you have seen Him then you have seen the Father, and the words that He speaks are not His own, but the Father that dwells in Him He does the works.

Jesus is the visible relationship to the saints forever for the man Christ Jesus has a glorified body the same as the saints will have a glorified body which is why the man Christ Jesus prayed to the Father for the saints to have the same glory as Him and behold His glory which is the saints receiving eternal life and a glorified body like the man Christ Jesus, and seeing Him on the throne in heaven which is the throne of God and the Lamb, God in the glorified body of the man Christ Jesus.

They do not understand what right hand means for the only person we will see in heaven is Jesus.