Whoever Fears God Is Not Yet Perfect In Love

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

DustyRhodes

Dec 30, 2016
From Genesis to Revelation in scripture, God
illustrates how much he loves us. From the
beginning, he was somewhat sever but then
He began to put in place one covenant after
another. As each new covenant was put in
place, the old one became obsolete. The
seventh and final covenant was Jesus. He
loved us so much that he sent His son into
the world to reveal Himself to us through Jesus.

Jesus gave us two commandments which were:
love the Lord your God and your neighbor as
yourself. Both Jesus and Paul knew that rules
and requirements were just to get us seriously
engaged with the need for grace and mercy;
they were never an end in themselves.

The words in scripture are the stairway to ascend
to an intimate relationship with God. Somewhere
along the line they have become rules and regulations.
The truth is that they are the way to lead us to a state
of union with God. Paul says "If anyone is in Christ,
he becomes a new creation and the old has gone.
This means that when we surrender to Him, we have
an intimate relationship with Him. His will will be done
and not our own. Imagine being so close to Him and
we come to sit upon His knee and become one with
Him. When our relationship is so close to Him, how
can we then fear Him. As we journey on and make
mistakes, He forgives us. This is pure love. At this
point, the words that were our beginning become
futile because we are one with Him.

1John 4:16.. God is love and he who lives in love
lives in God and God lives in Him.

18 There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives
out fear, because fear has to do with punishment.
The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

John was the last to write his Gospel and in his
letters, he put the entire N/T in capsule form.

In the end, if we fear God, we have not yet come
to a deep relationship with Him. We have relied
on words and words are subject to interpretation.
On the other hand, when we've become one with
God, there is no mistakes.

T_Laurich

Mar 24, 2013
The same argument could be formulated to say it is impossible for God to have anger which we know is not true....

Eloquently written, but wrong in the interpretation of fear...
When the bible talks about fear it is not just being afraid... It is a understanding of what and who God is.

For instance, as a child you can fear your dad or mom. This does not impose that there is no love. It's actually quite the opposite.
You understand as a child that you love your parents, but you understand the power your parents have over you. You can be spanked or punished for doing something wrong. The fear is a byproduct of fully understanding who that person is...

Another example is if your friend is extremely good at BJJ then you fear his power. This does not destroy your friendship, but you have a grasp on how powerful that person can be if in a certain scenario. Same if your friend was a world class hacker.

When we fear God it is not due to us not having a relationship. It is quite the opposite... It is due to our relationship we have fear. For instance, the atheist does not fear God... They have no idea what God's power and stature is...
The Christian does fear God, and through that fear, they try to get others to repent of their sins....
IF God had no power and was just another god. Then we would have no fear. He would have no power....

Fear comes from the understanding of who God is. And as you get closer and closer to God your respect and fear of Him grows....

The wording of fear I think is what the problem is... You take fear to mean afraid... I believe the bible does use it to that definition in some respect towards God... But I think to the believer, I think it is more so talking about fear of His power and Stature, not his Nature....
For we know God is a merciful God... So we have no need to fear Him as we would fear a murderer. We fear His power.

If the thought that there is this being, that has absolute control over your life, your existence, and everyone else's' does not frighten you. I don't know what will...
Again, we know God is merciful and made a way for us to be with Him. But there is still of fear of what He can do...

I think a perfect example of this fear would be shown in a verse like Revelation 3:16 "So, because you are lukewarm--neither hot nor cold--I will spit you out of my mouth."

That verse should strike fear into the believers heart... It shows the power of Christ...

DustyRhodes

Dec 30, 2016
The same argument could be formulated to say it is impossible for God to have anger which we know is not true....

Eloquently written, but wrong in the interpretation of fear...
When the bible talks about fear it is not just being afraid... It is a understanding of what and who God is.

For instance, as a child you can fear your dad or mom. This does not impose that there is no love. It's actually quite the opposite.
You understand as a child that you love your parents, but you understand the power your parents have over you. You can be spanked or punished for doing something wrong. The fear is a byproduct of fully understanding who that person is...

Another example is if your friend is extremely good at BJJ then you fear his power. This does not destroy your friendship, but you have a grasp on how powerful that person can be if in a certain scenario. Same if your friend was a world class hacker.

When we fear God it is not due to us not having a relationship. It is quite the opposite... It is due to our relationship we have fear. For instance, the atheist does not fear God... They have no idea what God's power and stature is...
The Christian does fear God, and through that fear, they try to get others to repent of their sins....
IF God had no power and was just another god. Then we would have no fear. He would have no power....

Fear comes from the understanding of who God is. And as you get closer and closer to God your respect and fear of Him grows....

The wording of fear I think is what the problem is... You take fear to mean afraid... I believe the bible does use it to that definition in some respect towards God... But I think to the believer, I think it is more so talking about fear of His power and Stature, not his Nature....
For we know God is a merciful God... So we have no need to fear Him as we would fear a murderer. We fear His power.

If the thought that there is this being, that has absolute control over your life, your existence, and everyone else's' does not frighten you. I don't know what will...
Again, we know God is merciful and made a way for us to be with Him. But there is still of fear of what He can do...

I think a perfect example of this fear would be shown in a verse like Revelation 3:16 "So, because you are lukewarm--neither hot nor cold--I will spit you out of my mouth."

That verse should strike fear into the believers heart... It shows the power of Christ...
Thanks so much for your response. However all of your examples are those of the flesh. When we are living in the Spirit, we are in the heart of God. We cannot be in the heart of God and at the same time have fear of Him. Jesus
was the face of God and indeed He was God and I don't see too many references where anyone feared Him. In fact, the Pharisees killed Him.

P

pjharrison

Mathew 10:28, 28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.
Hebrew 10 :26-31 For if we go on sinning deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a fearful expectation of judgment, and a fury of fire that will consume the adversaries. Anyone who has set aside the law of Moses dies without mercy on the evidence of two or three witnesses. How much worse punishment, do you think, will be deserved by the one who has spurned the Son of God, and has profaned the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has outraged the Spirit of grace? For we know him who said, “Vengeance is mine; I will repay.” And again, “The Lord will judge his people
If you don't fear God you will keep sinning, because you are not taking him seriously. He can destroy you in the end, by turning his back on you and saying, away from me I never knew you.:cry:

DustyRhodes

Dec 30, 2016
Mathew 10:28, 28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.
Hebrew 10 :26-31 For if we go on sinning deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a fearful expectation of judgment, and a fury of fire that will consume the adversaries. Anyone who has set aside the law of Moses dies without mercy on the evidence of two or three witnesses. How much worse punishment, do you think, will be deserved by the one who has spurned the Son of God, and has profaned the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has outraged the Spirit of grace? For we know him who said, “Vengeance is mine; I will repay.” And again, “The Lord will judge his people
If you don't fear God you will keep sinning, because you are not taking him seriously. He can destroy you in the end, by turning his back on you and saying, away from me I never knew you.:cry:
Thanks for your comment, however you are still living in the flesh.
It is necessary to sit on our divine Father's lap ...as John stated as
i post again. I think people haven't read the entire post. I didn't post
this to argue but rather to connect people to a higher place rather
than intellectualising words. When we are already filled with God's
love, words no longer matter.

Apr 15, 2017
When we obey confessing Christ, repenting of our sins, having faith, being led of the Spirit hating sin, loving people by the Spirit, it is the fear of God for we know there is punishment if we do not do that, but if we live right by God there is no need to fear God for no punishment will come upon us, but we still fear God for we still do what is right because we do not want punishment to come upon us.

Psa 111:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever.

Pro 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Pro 1:29 For that they hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the LORD.

Pro 8:13 The fear of the LORD is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate.

Ecc 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
Ecc 12:14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

Mat 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Heb 10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
Heb 10:27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.
Heb 10:28 He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:
Heb 10:29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?
Heb 10:30 For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.
Heb 10:31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

2Pe 2:20 For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.
2Pe 2:21 For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.
2Pe 2:22 But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.

Php 2:12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

Heb 10:38 Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.

We should have the fear of God for it is a healthy attitude, and Jesus said fear God, as well as Paul, for it is the fear of God that keeps people on the right path to escape punishment that will come upon all the wicked, including hypocrites claiming Christ.

People need to stop being relaxed concerning Christianity and stop playing in the danger zone.

P

pjharrison

Thanks for your comment, however you are still living in the flesh.
It is necessary to sit on our divine Father's lap ...as John stated as
i post again. I think people haven't read the entire post. I didn't post
this to argue but rather to connect people to a higher place rather
than intellectualising words. When we are already filled with God's
love, words no longer matter.

And I believe it's the opposite. If you don't fear him, you will take him for granted, and you will find at the end that he will say away from me, I never knew you. I loved my earthly father, but I also feared him, because if I did wrong he would spank me. But the thing about my earthy father is that I could promise not to do it again, and then do it two more times and come back each time and say dad I promise I really want do it again, all my dad is able to do is punish me. But God is not a man. He has all power in his hand, and he is able to destroy the body and the soul. That's nothing to take lightly. Even the devil fear God and tremble. I fear God, but I also love God with all my heart. He is the only one who is truly Good and Righteous. He has no favorites. He loves me as well as anyone else. He is fair in all his ways. I want to do everything that is required of me to be acceptable in his sight. And I am not trying to be argumentative, I just know that we must fear God. He is not a man that he is moved by our flattery.

DustyRhodes

Dec 30, 2016
And I believe it's the opposite. If you don't fear him, you will take him for granted, and you will find at the end that he will say away from me, I never knew you. I loved my earthly father, but I also feared him, because if I did wrong he would spank me. But the thing about my earthy father is that I could promise not to do it again, and then do it two more times and come back each time and say dad I promise I really want do it again, all my dad is able to do is punish me. But God is not a man. He has all power in his hand, and he is able to destroy the body and the soul. That's nothing to take lightly. Even the devil fear God and tremble. I fear God, but I also love God with all my heart. He is the only one who is truly Good and Righteous. He has no favorites. He loves me as well as anyone else. He is fair in all his ways. I want to do everything that is required of me to be acceptable in his sight. And I am not trying to be argumentative, I just know that we must fear God. He is not a man that he is moved by our flattery.
Well we'll have to agree to disagree, smiles...God bless you

DustyRhodes

Dec 30, 2016
When we obey confessing Christ, repenting of our sins, having faith, being led of the Spirit hating sin, loving people by the Spirit, it is the fear of God for we know there is punishment if we do not do that, but if we live right by God there is no need to fear God for no punishment will come upon us, but we still fear God for we still do what is right because we do not want punishment to come upon us.

Psa 111:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever.

Pro 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Pro 1:29 For that they hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the LORD.

Pro 8:13 The fear of the LORD is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate.

Ecc 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
Ecc 12:14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

Mat 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Heb 10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
Heb 10:27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.
Heb 10:28 He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:
Heb 10:29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?
Heb 10:30 For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.
Heb 10:31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

2Pe 2:20 For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.
2Pe 2:21 For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.
2Pe 2:22 But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.

Php 2:12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

Heb 10:38 Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.

We should have the fear of God for it is a healthy attitude, and Jesus said fear God, as well as Paul, for it is the fear of God that keeps people on the right path to escape punishment that will come upon all the wicked, including hypocrites claiming Christ.

People need to stop being relaxed concerning Christianity and stop playing in the danger zone.
did you read my entire post...you are throwing all these things in here that i'm aware of but don't follow and never will because God is already in me and i will not let Him go.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
In the end, if we fear God, we have not yet come to a deep relationship with Him.
The truth of the matter is that the Bible exhorts Christians to BOTH love and fear God.

Please note that the apostle Paul -- an outstanding Christian by any measure -- combined the TERROR OF THE LORD with the LOVE OF CHRIST in this passage.

2 CORINTHIANS 5
For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.

11 Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your consciences.

12 For we commend not ourselves again unto you, but give you occasion to glory on our behalf, that ye may have somewhat to answer them which glory in appearance, and not in heart.

13 For whether we be beside ourselves, it is to God: or whether we be sober,it is for your cause.

14 For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead...

P

pjharrison

Who ever is teaching you this doctrine is wrong. And if you came up with this on your own you are wrong. This belief will lead you to believe that you can do anything and God will embrace it. That is a lie. God is not a man that he will put up with mans foolishness. He can smite you in an instant.

U

UnderGrace

Who ever is teaching you this doctrine is wrong. And if you came up with this on your own you are wrong. This belief will lead you to believe that you can do anything and God will embrace it. That is a lie. God is not a man that he will put up with mans foolishness. He can smite you in an instant.
I do not think that is what the OP means at all and you have completely twisted what he wrote.

You are saying because we love God and God loves us that now that means we are free to sin, so your logic is, because of good (love) we will do evil.

So then evil springs from love, that is very twisted reasoning.:(

Is that what you believe?
Scripture teaches something so different thankfully.....

Love Comes from God
…17In this way, love has been perfected among us, so that we may have confidence on the day of judgment; for in this world we are just like Him. 18There is no fear in love, but perfect love drives out fear, because fear involves punishment. The one who fears has not been perfected in love. 19We love because He first loved us.…
Berean Study Bible

trofimus

Aug 17, 2015
"Honor everyone - love the brotherhood, fear God, honor the king"
1Pt 2:17

"There is evil in a multitude of dreams and in vanities and in many words - but you fear God."
Eccl 5:7, Septuaint

"Then the church throughout Judea, Galilee and Samaria enjoyed a time of peace and was strengthened. Living in the fear of the Lord and encouraged by the Holy Spirit, it increased in numbers."
Acts 9:31, NIV

P

pjharrison

I do not think that is what the OP means at all and you have completely twisted what he wrote.

You are saying because we love God and God loves us that now that means we are free to sin, so your logic is, because of good (love) we will do evil.

Love Comes from God
…17In this way, love has been perfected among us, so that we may have confidence on the day of judgment; for in this world we are just like Him. 18There is no fear in love, but perfect love drives out fear, because fear involves punishment. The one who fears has not been perfected in love. 19We love because He first loved us.…
Berean Study Bible
Read my post again slowly.

P

pjharrison

Love Comes from God
Berean Study Bible
While you are at it, read the post I was answering.

DustyRhodes

Dec 30, 2016
The truth of the matter is that the Bible exhorts Christians to BOTH love and fear God.

Please note that the apostle Paul -- an outstanding Christian by any measure -- combined the TERROR OF THE LORD with the LOVE OF CHRIST in this passage.

2 CORINTHIANS 5
10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.

11 Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your consciences.

12 For we commend not ourselves again unto you, but give you occasion to glory on our behalf, that ye may have somewhat to answer them which glory in appearance, and not in heart.

13 For whether we be beside ourselves, it is to God: or whether we be sober,it is for your cause.

14 For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead...
Thank you for your response. i believe most are just responding to the
title of the post rather than the entire post. The post goes from the
beginning of God to John the apostle of God who had the most time
to reflect on what Jesus said and did. So we develop as we go along

Love Comes from God
Berean Study Bible
you got it, it's exactly what i meant...i will not respond to her ridiculous
diatribe. God bless.

Chester

May 23, 2016
A lot of how this question is answered is how one defines "fear" - It is certain that the Bible says we are to fear God. It also says that perfect love casts out fear.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
As chester said this question is mainly answered by how one defines fear. When it comes to God he and I share a very intimate child and father like relationship, if I were before his throne knowing he is the almighty all knowing all powerful one who with only thinking it could blast me into oblivion the only thing I could do is run to him tackle hug him. This is a heart that adores and loves him and does not fear to come to him in all his glory and his holiness. However that is only one way of looking at it because we also have to look at the other side of the father and child relationship, I mean when I was little and I messed up I was afraid of my parents because I knew what I did was wrong and that punishment was my reaping.

There is a healthy kind of fear where we respect who and what he is and that he punishes those he loves, but then there is the unhealthy fear one of the flesh and the enemy in which I have seen many new believers being plagued and devastated by it afraid God would send his wrath on them or they would lose their salvation. Everyone here has good points on the subject and I think it would be wise to look at each perspective closely, if you only look at one point of view of the fear of the lord you don't grasp the entire thing

DustyRhodes

Dec 30, 2016
As chester said this question is mainly answered by how one defines fear. When it comes to God he and I share a very intimate child and father like relationship, if I were before his throne knowing he is the almighty all knowing all powerful one who with only thinking it could blast me into oblivion the only thing I could do is run to him tackle hug him. This is a heart that adores and loves him and does not fear to come to him in all his glory and his holiness. However that is only one way of looking at it because we also have to look at the other side of the father and child relationship, I mean when I was little and I messed up I was afraid of my parents because I knew what I did was wrong and that punishment was my reaping.

There is a healthy kind of fear where we respect who and what he is and that he punishes those he loves, but then there is the unhealthy fear one of the flesh and the enemy in which I have seen many new believers being plagued and devastated by it afraid God would send his wrath on them or they would lose their salvation. Everyone here has good points on the subject and I think it would be wise to look at each perspective closely, if you only look at one point of view of the fear of the lord you don't grasp the entire thing
Thanks so much for your comment and I totally agree with you.
It all depends on a person's spirituality and intimate connection
with our divine Father.