Why am I depressed even though I'm a christian?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jun 6, 2018
Over the past few months, I've been depressed and that resulted in drifting away from God because no matter how much I prayed or how much I stayed in God's presence, nothing changed. I'm honestly really tired of life and I just find it hard to do things. Unfortunately, I can't see a therapist and talking to ppl doesn't really solve it. I don't know what to do because going to God didn't solve anything and now, I'm just broken all together.

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
Hello @Emiliasantos, I'm sorry to hear that you are struggling with depression :( I'm also sorry to hear that you are unable to see a doctor (because some types of depressions require medicine to overcome, as I'm sure you already know).

Praying for you.

God bless you! (Numbers 6:24-26)

~Deut
p.s. - whenever I have a big problem in my life, the first person I call is my pastor (for his advice/guidance, and so that he'll know how to pray for me). Maybe you should consider doing the same? Pastors are normally very helpful, as they are great at giving us godly advice ..
Hebrews 13:17 :)

Mar 4, 2020
Over the past few months, I've been depressed and that resulted in drifting away from God because no matter how much I prayed or how much I stayed in God's presence, nothing changed. I'm honestly really tired of life and I just find it hard to do things. Unfortunately, I can't see a therapist and talking to ppl doesn't really solve it. I don't know what to do because going to God didn't solve anything and now, I'm just broken all together.
Try finding your joy and peace in the good things that brought you peace. Rejoice in your faith and service to God, be amazed at how good it is to be a part of God's promises. God bless and praying for you.

Joy4N8cher

Jul 8, 2020
You said it was over the past several months you have been depressed.
Were you depressed before then?
Do you know what set it off? I think that depression at it's root is the feeling that a situation is not going to get better, plus it can be chemical imbalances in the brain, and the etc... etc..

When I was at one of my lowest points, a friend helped me figure out the point that I started to spiral. That honestly helped me. I needed guidance more than anything. I know it's different for everyone who struggles with depression.

Maybe you feel comfortable sharing some of these on here with people who don't know you as well? My son has struggled with depression for many years. He has been to weekly therapy and he is slowly improving, although he still tanks now and then.

You are a unique, incredibly precious person. I will pray for you tonight that God does do something very miraculous and that you will know His tangible help, wisdom and rescue like you never have before. Have you experienced loss recently?

Oh I am not sure if this book will help you like it helped me. But F.B. Meyer "The Secret of Guidance". was a book I read when I was at my lowest. Sometimes I would just open it up to a page because I was so weak emotionally and God spoke to me off those pages and tears would just pour down my face. He sooo met me.
This feeling will not last forever. Thank you so much for sharing your struggle with us!!

Just_Jo

May 29, 2020
There are valleys and mountain tops in our walk with the Lord.

Valleys are times when we can surrender ourselves and let God speak to us as He leads us to still waters. Psalm 23. Here He gets our attention in that still small voice bc we search for Him.
He sees your now and your future and may be preparing you for something that's ahead.

Mountain tops are great,filled with joy and excitement.
They can also cause us to lose our focus or edge against the one who desires to devour us.

Count your time in this low place in your mind and spirit as a time of strengthening and refreshing,seek Him.

Joy cometh in the morning for night will pass into day and your peace and faith will be restored!🛐

Bingo

Feb 9, 2019
"Whenever I observe a post pertaining to the subject of depression, I feel a sense of
sorrow, as most likely there is something unpleasant rooted deeply behind this emotional
dilemma, and each individual has different circumstances surrounding this feeling.
There being untold circumstances that may cause depression, and each individual should
take a deep and honest inventory of themselves, and most likely, anyone with a sound
mind may find an underlying issue that may being ignored. We must learn to confront our
problems, and strive to eliminate them the most sensible way, and often a close friend, or
someone you are comfortable with, discuss the issue, and hopefully find a suitable solution.
Let us be reminded, that we are meant to be happy, joyous and free from self inflicted misery,
so long as we want a happier life, we have to work at it. I found since having God in my life,
life became more orderly and manageable...believe it.
I hope you find what is needed in your life, and you will so long as you look within, the answer
may be found."

0e2634_281b587cd5844b7799f02241532330ce~mv2 - Copy (4).jpg Friendly.png

Jun 6, 2018
Thanks! I've had depression in the past because I got bullied and teased while in high school and I recently graduated but it has gotten worse. I guess it's because I stay at home all the time ever since the virus and I can't really do anything to change my situation. I feel like it made everything worse definitely and I don't really know how to make my way with God anyway. It's really hard. I'll also check out the book. Thank you

Jewelers

Jun 19, 2020
Im ngl i was depressed too and I lost my way with Christ I got to the point where I made a video that I am now ashamed of and luckily my friend found it she ended up calling the police on me after that my parents found out I was depressed my dad then worked me on to this site so, I guess talking to people helped for me but if you need anyone to talk to about anything I’m here and I bet some other people are too.

Joy4N8cher

Jul 8, 2020
Thanks! I've had depression in the past because I got bullied and teased while in high school and I recently graduated but it has gotten worse. I guess it's because I stay at home all the time ever since the virus and I can't really do anything to change my situation. I feel like it made everything worse definitely and I don't really know how to make my way with God anyway. It's really hard. I'll also check out the book. Thank you
Emiliasantos, first of all, congratulations on your graduation!! You sure did have a challenging senior year. There is seriously a lot to grieve about this, and I think sometimes that stuffing our sadness and feeling like we shouldn't be sad just makes it worse. Have you tried to journal a bit about some of the disappointments from this year? And then also look at some of the things that ended up being a blessing in disguise.
Maybe another thing is that this current depression is bringing up memories of your old feelings of when you were bullied and teased. How amazing that you honestly are free of that culture that just picks to death on anything that is different, unique, potentially strong or beautiful, or not beautiful according to a world view. It makes the one being bullied feel powerless, worthless and lonely. Not only do you belong... but you can create spaces OF belonging for others who feel the same as you do!
Something my counselor would ask me when I shared things that others did that made me feel terrible, was 'what does that say about them?' It really helped me put up a boundary between what others might say about me, not letting it get into my heart and mess with my mind. I don't know, just some of my thoughts.

So now with the current covid situation, it is totally a once in a lifetime crazy thing that is going on in the world! Whether you stay home or go out, everyone is affected by it every single day. These are very difficult times. I do know that this will not last forever. It might last quite a while, but not forever. I so hope that God will help you to bloom right now and explore some things that breathe life into your soul. Are there things that you enjoy creating? Do you like to record music or voice recordings? Is there something that you can find right now that you wouldn't have time to do if life were 'back to normal'? I so appreciate your voice on here. Keep on sharing where you are at. Don't let your voice be silent. What you have in your heart is so important and others can certainly relate.

Jul 6, 2020
Put on the breastplate of righteousness - to protect your inward parts, the seat of your emotions.
Put on the helmet of salvation - to protect you mind, thinking according to Gods salvation
Gird up your loins (private bits) with truth - to be ready to run with God
Take up the shield of faith - in order to press forward in the middle of the lies of the enemy
Put on the combat boots of readiness - to go in readiness to share the hope that is in you.
Take up the sword of the Spirit of truth - Be true and let it be your weapon of reliance on God.
Put on the cloak of vengeance - NO NO wait, God is going to hang onto that. Dip it in the blood of the saints and give it to Jesus before he comes back.

There are many outward reasons for how each of us may feel.
But it is the inward ones that come from what we do or don't do in the face of it all that injure us the most.

Keeping that Breastplate of Righteousness on is key to becoming healthy and strong inside.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Lots of positivity given, not many facts about depression to be of any possible help. Bandaids only.

Depression CAN last a lifetime. And for many it does. But not for everyone. Depression can be caused by different sources. Not all are directly mental. If you're able to see a general doctor talk to them about being tested for physical causes of depression. Hormones, low vitamin levels and even food allergies can be potential causes and they're good to have checked and ruled out first before seeing a counselor.
Another good option, especially if depression isn't chronic for you is sleep, diet and exercise. It may sound cliche but these three things can be problems. Being on a regular sleep schedule, if possible sleeping at night, is both physically and mentally healthy. And not just on a regular schedule but also getting enough sleep. Sleep is when your body heals and your mind processes the days events helping to better clear your mind for the next day.
Eating healthy helps the body stay healthy and that can help ease your mind as well as also help it be more clear.
Exercise helps release frustration, anxiety, built up energy as well as aids in improving your physical condition. And releases endorphins.

If I had to guess depression may not be a constant thing for you, but is something you can slip in to easier than most. Putting these things into practice can help limit that.

Talking is a help, but it has to be done right. Bear in mind the things you're most likely to talk about are Symptoms and not root causes. Kind of like taking pain meds for a broken leg, but not wearing a cast.
If you feel there's no one you can go to to deal with the core issues I'd still encourage you to keep talking. Not expecting it to make any drastic change but to aid in preventing things from getting worse. Getting things off your chest is mentally and emotionally healthy.

Anyways this is my advice, a chronic depressive for 30 years.

AndyMaleh

Jun 26, 2020
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
You are growing into adulthood. Life on earth is not all rosy like when you were pampered with love as a younger person. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about from reading the Bible. Yes, many months do pass sometimes with very little progress happening in life. It is time you get used to it as an adult and develop a quiet and calm strength. Also, never stop praying. God surprises you sometimes by responding when you least expect it. Godspeed.

dude123

Jul 31, 2020
start exercise and less time in front of the monitor will help don t go to therapist they will take your money and will prescribe you medicine that don t do anything so you will be sad and poor

dude123

Jul 31, 2020
start exercise and more time outside and eat healty will help your anixety and depression (not real) go away it s all in your mind

dude123

Jul 31, 2020
when you exercise and healthy habits you will feel beter trust me men

dude123

Jul 31, 2020
join a club for sports or your hobby)) do something every day that is not in front of monitor like TV or computer and dont be in your room all day because when you are in a room all day it s like you are in a prison but out of choice

J-T

Banned
Jul 29, 2020
Heaven Bound
Hello Emiia, if you won't mind, I would like to ask you a few questions.

Do you watch television? If yes, what t.v. shows, and which would you consider to be your favorite? Please answer the same for secular music/videos, as well as for "Contemporary Christian music/videos", and do you play any form of video games; if yes, which ones?

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Hi @Emiliasantos - How are you doing now? Still depressed or better? :unsure:

You are loved and God sees you and smiles - you're beautiful to Him! :love:(y)

Hang in there! I noticed on your profile you like Psalm 121 - that's awesome......tell me about Psalm 121.....:unsure:

Psalm 121 New International Version (NIV)
Psalm 121
A song of ascents.
1 I lift up my eyes to the mountains—
where does my help come from?
2 My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of heaven and earth.
3 He will not let your foot slip—
he who watches over you will not slumber;
4 indeed, he who watches over Israel
will neither slumber nor sleep.
5 The Lord watches over you—
the Lord is your shade at your right hand;
6 the sun will not harm you by day,
nor the moon by night.
7 The Lord will keep you from all harm—
he will watch over your life;
8 the Lord will watch over your coming and going
both now and forevermore.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
start exercise and less time in front of the monitor will help don t go to therapist they will take your money and will prescribe you medicine that don t do anything so you will be sad and poor
Meds are an option that you can choose to refuse. They are not perfect, and sometimes testing different medications till you find the one that works for you is necessary.
And meds Can work, so to say they don't do anything is a flat lie.
Getting into counseling is also about talking through things and being guided to see the things we hide from and refuse to face.
I've done it, and refused the meds offered, and can see the benefit. As well as knowing others that have as well, both with and without meds.

dude123

Jul 31, 2020
medication is a scam all he needs is sun light and exercise and healthy diet this is all he needs