Why am I depressed even though I'm a christian?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Feb 20, 2021
All Christians and everyone in general will go through stuff because this is life, just because we give our life to Christ doesn’t mean that all of our problems just go away. The Bible states that we must pick up our cross everyday and to live for God and not for ourselves. (Luke 9:23-24 is Jesus continued to say to all of them “Any of you who want to be my follower must stop thinking of yourself and what you want. You must be willing to carry the cross that is given to you everyday for following me. Any of you who try to save your life will lose it. But you who give up your life for me will save it.”) the cross can be so hard and so heavy but we must remember that we are living for him and not ourselves and we need to trust that he will take us out if our situation when it’s in his will and time ☺️

Butterflyyy

Oct 31, 2019
Sometimes there can be underlying health issues causing the depression; for example, hormone issues/menopause, thyroid problems, unknown parasite infections, anemia etc.
It’s good to keep asking the Lord for help, with everything that we face and then to trust Him.
I am reminded of the woman who only touched the tassel of Jesus clothing and she was healed, and we only need to connect with Him and He will lead us if we seek Him whole heartedly with a willingness to obey Him about whatever He shows us.
Hope this helps someone x

EnglishChick

Apr 20, 2021
England UK
Lots of positivity given, not many facts about depression to be of any possible help. Bandaids only.

Depression CAN last a lifetime. And for many it does. But not for everyone. Depression can be caused by different sources. Not all are directly mental. If you're able to see a general doctor talk to them about being tested for physical causes of depression. Hormones, low vitamin levels and even food allergies can be potential causes and they're good to have checked and ruled out first before seeing a counselor.
Another good option, especially if depression isn't chronic for you is sleep, diet and exercise. It may sound cliche but these three things can be problems. Being on a regular sleep schedule, if possible sleeping at night, is both physically and mentally healthy. And not just on a regular schedule but also getting enough sleep. Sleep is when your body heals and your mind processes the days events helping to better clear your mind for the next day.
Eating healthy helps the body stay healthy and that can help ease your mind as well as also help it be more clear.
Exercise helps release frustration, anxiety, built up energy as well as aids in improving your physical condition. And releases endorphins.

If I had to guess depression may not be a constant thing for you, but is something you can slip in to easier than most. Putting these things into practice can help limit that.

Talking is a help, but it has to be done right. Bear in mind the things you're most likely to talk about are Symptoms and not root causes. Kind of like taking pain meds for a broken leg, but not wearing a cast.
If you feel there's no one you can go to to deal with the core issues I'd still encourage you to keep talking. Not expecting it to make any drastic change but to aid in preventing things from getting worse. Getting things off your chest is mentally and emotionally healthy.

Anyways this is my advice, a chronic depressive for 30 years.
Brilliant post

I struggle myself with forms of mental illness causing depressive symptoms.

Just a thought. If bullying has been behind the depression trauma based therapy may be helpful.

Mar 14, 2022
Over the past few months, I've been depressed and that resulted in drifting away from God because no matter how much I prayed or how much I stayed in God's presence, nothing changed. I'm honestly really tired of life and I just find it hard to do things. Unfortunately, I can't see a therapist and talking to ppl doesn't really solve it. I don't know what to do because going to God didn't solve anything and now, I'm just broken all together.

Attachments

Butterflyyy

Oct 31, 2019
Sometimes we pray and pray but we forget to trust x

Simona1988

Mar 15, 2021
I think depression and diabetes II are the diseases of the millennium.
Sometimes I feel so powerless that I look with awe and admiration to people who are capable of getting up in the morning and going to their work.

In order to fight depression I (try to) do the following things:
1.) I pray (in the morning, before eating at noon and at night). I don’t always manage to say all the prayers but in the morning I always try to say at least these four ones: Heavenly King, Our Father, the Nicene Creed and “It is truly right to bless you…”(prayer to the virgin mother)
2.) I go to church EVERY Sunday.
3.) I try to fast (not only from food, but from the internet too and replace it with reading the Bible).
4.) I eat the holy body and drink the holy blood of our Lord. (Unfortunately, I don’t do it every Sunday…) This is where Christians take their power from: the Holy Communion.
5.) I exercise.
6.) I read theology or listen to a sermon regarding the gospel.
7.) I do the house chores, prepare food, take care of my daughter.

It’s been a long time since I ate the Holy Communion (which I want to make the purpose of my life) and I fell in depression and mediocrity. But I know how to get back on track.

Butterflyyy

Oct 31, 2019
I think depression and diabetes II are the diseases of the millennium.
Sometimes I feel so powerless that I look with awe and admiration to people who are capable of getting up in the morning and going to their work.

In order to fight depression I (try to) do the following things:
1.) I pray (in the morning, before eating at noon and at night). I don’t always manage to say all the prayers but in the morning I always try to say at least these four ones: Heavenly King, Our Father, the Nicene Creed and “It is truly right to bless you…”(prayer to the virgin mother)
2.) I go to church EVERY Sunday.
3.) I try to fast (not only from food, but from the internet too and replace it with reading the Bible).
4.) I eat the holy body and drink the holy blood of our Lord. (Unfortunately, I don’t do it every Sunday…) This is where Christians take their power from: the Holy Communion.
5.) I exercise.
6.) I read theology or listen to a sermon regarding the gospel.
7.) I do the house chores, prepare food, take care of my daughter.

It’s been a long time since I ate the Holy Communion (which I want to make the purpose of my life) and I fell in depression and mediocrity. But I know how to get back on track.
I hope this blesses you...

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
The power comes from the indwelling Christ in relationship, perceiving what He is directing us to do and walking it out.
This is the most Biblical ministry i know of, there is a 9 a.m. , service, right now worship, then will be a second service.
https://www.jglm.org/live-broadcasts/

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
The beautiful thing I love about my mental illness , is that it always draws me closer to God...
The Scripture that really helps me is where it says " And the peace of God who passes all our understanding , shall guard our hearts and mind in Christ Jesus...
...xox...

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
...it didn't. I am not Roman-Catholic, I am Greek-Orthodox.
If and when you learn about and become a Christian you will begin the walk our Lord wants us on. Nobodies "church" or other man made organization died for they're sins.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
The beautiful thing I love about my mental illness , is that it always draws me closer to God...
The Scripture that really helps me is where it says " And the peace of God who passes all our understanding , shall guard our hearts and mind in Christ Jesus...
...xox...
Your "mental illness"? Maybe we few who are truly His are the sane remnant in an increasingly insane world?

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
This increasingly insane world can have a increasingly insane affect on peoples minds before one is saved...
Thank God HE renews our mind...

eXric

Mar 31, 2022
Over the past few months, I've been depressed and that resulted in drifting away from God because no matter how much I prayed or how much I stayed in God's presence, nothing changed. I'm honestly really tired of life and I just find it hard to do things. Unfortunately, I can't see a therapist and talking to ppl doesn't really solve it. I don't know what to do because going to God didn't solve anything and now, I'm just broken all together.
If you fill like the depression might be from the enemy. If so you might try to disbelieve what the enemy might be saying to make you feel that way. For example lets say a teen fills worthless, and says to their self you are worthless. This may be that it is the enemy's doing. If you disbelieve, a simple form of resist the enemy and he shale run away. The oppressed person can think to their self I am not completely worthless, by doing this there enter a chase to resist the enemy and he will flee. Progressively ramp it up to I am worthy. If this is not so, I will pray for the Holy Spirt to speak to this. If you live in a "woke" place that might be part of the oppressions leading to depression. This way of thinking might help that some too.
Not sure this is the same thing you are dealing with, maybe it will help some that reads it. How long have you been saved? if you want to answer that. I have idea forming based of that answer. My guess is maybe about a year or 5 years. The about a year, my be do to the big encounter one gets when saved and it seems to fade away. About 5 years might be do to God calling you to a deep place in the spirit because of your maturity as a Christian. I am lean to this idea more.

Simona1988

Mar 15, 2021
Do you worship Mary?
Worship is only for the triune God. I pray to her, I bless her, I honor her, as the Church One did and still does until this day.

"It is truly right to bless you, O Theotokos, ever-blessed and most pure, and the Mother of our God. More honorable than the Cherubim, and more glorious beyond compare than the Seraphim, without defilement you gave birth to God the Word. True Theotokos, we magnify you!"