Why are we christians in the habit of misapplying this text?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Look, everyone just surrender and recognize our dependency on the Holy Spirit to truly understand and know the Word of God, amen. :love:(y)

S

SophieT

Oh gosh, that is so so sad….to never know The Comforter….The Revealer of the secrets of God’s Heart and Mind toward us ….The ONLY ONE that gives us understanding and introduces us to our Savior, Beloved, Lord and King - Yeshua/Jesus Christ…..to reject the Holy Spirit of God is very sad…indeed…:cry:
I don't know how people can handle this world without God's Spirit and the gifts of the Spirit

I don't know how people who say they believe can come to the conclusion the Holy Spirit has left the building

S

SophieT

Only the things not found in the bible was not meant for the other generations of Christians.
please explain this. btw, 2 negatives cancel each other so I really do not know what you are saying here

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
I don't know how people can handle this world without God's Spirit and the gifts of the Spirit

I don't know how people who say they believe can come to the conclusion the Holy Spirit has left the building
We are DESPERATELY IN NEED of a GREAT OUTPOURING REVIVAL!!!

Oh Father, forgive us ALL and in Your Mercy silence our flesh so our souls and spirits can encounter Your Living Word and powerful life giving Holy Spirit in such a way that we are changed and NEVER the same, in the Name of Jesus Christ, amen. :love:(y)

JBTN

Feb 11, 2020
John 14:26
But the Comforter (Counselor, Helper, Intercessor, Advocate, Strengthener, Standby), the Holy Spirit, Whom the Father will send in My name [in My place, to represent Me and act on My behalf], He will teach you all things. And He will cause you to recall (will remind you of, bring to your remembrance) everything I have told you.

We were not back then to have Jesus us tell us anything in person. In context Jesus is speaking only to the apostles, not to us today.
Don’t forget this part.

““If you love me, you will keep my commandments. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you. “I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. Yet a little while and the world will see me no more, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. In that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you. Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me. And he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him.” Judas (not Iscariot) said to him, “Lord, how is it that you will manifest yourself to us, and not to the world?” Jesus answered him, “If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him.”
‭‭John‬ ‭14:15-23‬ ‭ESV‬‬
https://www.bible.com/59/jhn.14.15-23.esv

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
the Holy Spirit the same Holy Spirit who was back then is still here today and forever. HE the Holy Spirit is Eternal. Jesus has never stopped being the word of God and He is still saving people today as HE did back then.

Yes what was said was to the Apostles but the same actions continued after the Apostle and we see that in the book of Acts.
Salvation was not only to those back then, but Jesus is also Lord today, and the Holy Spirit Job is still needed just as it was then.

We have the very word of God, passed down from the Apostles to us today as we too have the same Holy Spirit they had too.
Jesus died for the sins of those that his Father gave him and he said "there will be no more sacrifice for sin" meaning that he finished the work that his Father sent him to do.

CS1

May 23, 2012
Jesus died for the sins of those that his Father gave him and he said "there will be no more sacrifice for sin" meaning that he finished the work that his Father sent him to do.

Your point I am not sure Jesus died for all sins " it is Finished " is a term in the Greek translation that means all debt is paid in full

Past, Present, and Future debt are paid for, one has to only receive freely by Grace through faith.

Mar 23, 2016
John 14:26
But the Comforter (Counselor, Helper, Intercessor, Advocate, Strengthener, Standby), the Holy Spirit, Whom the Father will send in My name [in My place, to represent Me and act on My behalf], He will teach you all things. And He will cause you to recall (will remind you of, bring to your remembrance) everything I have told you.

We were not back then to have Jesus us tell us anything in person. In context Jesus is speaking only to the apostles, not to us today.
Acts 5:32 We are witnesses of these things, and so is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey Him.

While we are not eyewitnesses as were the believers who were alive at the time, the Holy Spirit is a witness ... the same Holy Spirit which is given to each born again believer by the Father.

1 John 5:9-10 If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son. He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself ...

1 John 5:6 ... And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth.

John 7:

37 In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.

38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
Everything written in the bible is meant for us to read and understand. Only the things not found in the bible was not meant for the other generations of Christians.
Chruch History was also meant for mature Christians to know. One who does not know history are destined to repeat errors.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI

Also, practicing the virtues of II Peter 1 helps along with the fruit of the Spirit.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
Don’t forget this part.

““If you love me, you will keep my commandments. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you. “I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. Yet a little while and the world will see me no more, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. In that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you. Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me. And he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him.” Judas (not Iscariot) said to him, “Lord, how is it that you will manifest yourself to us, and not to the world?” Jesus answered him, “If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him.”
‭‭John‬ ‭14:15-23‬ ‭ESV‬‬
https://www.bible.com/59/jhn.14.15-23.esv
John 14:15-23
Easy-to-Read Version
The Promise of the Holy Spirit
15 “If you love me, you will do what I command. 16 I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper[a] to be with you forever. 17 The Helper is the Spirit of truth. The people of the world cannot accept him, because they don’t see him or know him. But you know him. He lives with you, and he will be in you.

18 “I will not leave you all alone like orphans. I will come back to you. 19 In a very short time the people in the world will not see me anymore. But you will see me. You will live because I live. 20 On that day you will know that I am in the Father. You will know that you are in me and I am in you. 21 Those who really love me are the ones who not only know my commands but also obey them. My Father will love such people, and I will love them. I will make myself known to them.”

22 Then Judas (not Judas Iscariot) said, “Lord, how will you make yourself known to us, but not to the world?”

23 Jesus answered, “All who love me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them. My Father and I will come to them and live with them.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
Micah 6:8
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
Ephesians 1:17-23
16 Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers;
17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:
18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,
19 And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,
20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,
21 Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:
22 And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,
23 Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

This is for today. This is the Holy Spirit actively imparting us with wisdom and revelation in the Knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ and what He has done for us and what He has said (promised) to His People.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
Your point I am not sure Jesus died for all sins " it is Finished " is a term in the Greek translation that means all debt is paid in full

Past, Present, and Future debt are paid for, one has to only receive freely by Grace through faith.
Amos 5:24

Easy-to-Read Version

24 But let justice flow like a river,
and let goodness flow like a stream that never becomes dry.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
Acts 5:32 We are witnesses of these things, and so is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey Him.

While we are not eyewitnesses as were the believers who were alive at the time, the Holy Spirit is a witness ... the same Holy Spirit which is given to each born again believer by the Father.

1 John 5:9-10 If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son. He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself ...

1 John 5:6 ... And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth.

John 7:

37 In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.

38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)
bearing witness is not same thing as the HS bringing words back to remembrance to the Apostles.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
1 John 5
Easy-to-Read Version
God’s Children Win Against the World
5 The people who believe that Jesus is the Messiah are God’s children. Anyone who loves the Father also loves the Father’s children. 2 How do we know that we love God’s children? We know because we love God and we obey his commands. 3 Loving God means obeying his commands. And God’s commands are not too hard for us, 4 because everyone who is a child of God has the power to win against the world. 5 It is our faith that has won the victory against the world. So who wins against the world? Only those who believe that Jesus is the Son of God.

God Told Us About His Son
6 Jesus Christ is the one who came. He came with water and with blood.[a] He did not come by water only. No, Jesus came by both water and blood. And the Spirit tells us that this is true. The Spirit is the truth. 7 So there are three witnesses that tell us about Jesus: 8 the Spirit, the water, and the blood. These three witnesses agree.

9 We believe people when they say something is true. But what God says is more important. And this is what God told us: He told us the truth about his own Son. 10 Whoever believes in the Son of God has the truth that God told us. But people who do not believe God make God a liar, because they do not believe what God told us about his Son. 11 This is what God told us: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. 12 Whoever has the Son has life, but whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life.

We Have Eternal Life Now
13 I write this letter to you who believe in the Son of God. I write so that you will know that you have eternal life now. 14 We can come to God with no doubts. This means that when we ask God for things (and those things agree with what God wants for us), God cares about what we say. 15 He listens to us every time we ask him. So we know that he gives us whatever we ask from him.

16 Suppose you see your fellow believer sinning (sin that does not lead to eternal death). You should pray for them. Then God will give them life. I am talking about people whose sin does not lead to eternal death. There is sin that leads to death. I don’t mean that you should pray about that kind of sin. 17 Doing wrong is always sin. But there is sin that does not lead to eternal death.

18 We know that those who have been made God’s children do not continue to sin. The Son of God keeps them safe. The Evil One cannot hurt them. 19 We know that we belong to God, but the Evil One controls the whole world. 20 And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding. So now we can know the one who is true, and we live in that true God. We are in his Son, Jesus Christ. He is the true God, and he is eternal life. 21 So, dear children, keep yourselves away from false gods.

In Context, the HS is bearing witness to Jesus. Just another text often taken out of context.

Mar 23, 2016
bearing witness is not same thing as the HS bringing words back to remembrance to the Apostles.
I believe the Holy Spirit works within each born again believer and brings God's Word to mind.

I have experienced the Holy Spirit working within to bring things to remembrance.

You may or may not choose not to believe that ... okey dokey.

Have a very blessed evening. :cool: