Why Are We Told To "Store Up Riches" in Heaven?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Hello Everyone,

Something I've always wondered about is why Jesus tells us to "store up treasures in heaven" (Matthew 6:20.) Please understand that I am NOT trying to argue at all with something Jesus Himself would tell us, I am just seeking understanding.

I apologize to anyone who already knows my story: I am adopted, and was found in a cardboard box in front of a theater when I was only a few days old. Someone found me and I was eventually taken to an orphanage... and God brought me home to the best, most wonderful Christian parents I could have ever had when I was six months old.

Now, my father always said, "I don't care what my job is in heaven, even if it's scrubbing toilets... All I care about is that God says I'm going to be there."

This has had me thinking for a very long time. I understand that riches in this world are only meant to help us fulfill God's work on the earth--I know they are temporal, worthless, and never to be placed above our faith in God.

BUT, what confuses me is, why does God tell us to work towards having riches in heaven if riches are meaningless? Here on earth, riches can be used to care for the poor, fund ministries, and build churches. In heaven, there won't be any poor or sick to care for, and God will be the ONLY church and ministry, so why would we need riches in heaven?

Maybe I am just misunderstanding? After all, I've always felt that if I got to heaven and God was waiting there, smiling, and said to me, "Kim, I have a surprise for you... I saved something for you..." and if He handed me that little cardboard box I started out in, and I had to share it with 10 other people as my new home, WHAT WOULD IT MATTER???

I'd be in the presence of God, and happy as a clam! So... I wonder why the Bible talks of riches and mansions in heaven and the fact that we Christians will have them, if we've walked the proper path of faith?

Any Scripture references would be appreciated!! I am NOT debating on whether or not God tells us to work toward heavenly riches... I am just wondering as to why anyone would "need" or "want" riches when they got to heaven.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Jul 30, 2010
Hello Everyone,

Something I've always wondered about is why Jesus tells us to "store up treasures in heaven" (Matthew 6:20.) Please understand that I am NOT trying to argue at all with something Jesus Himself would tell us, I am just seeking understanding.
We have two tpes of treasures. The treasures of the world which are worldly things. They are material and can be touched, handled etc. They make you rich, but they can perish or be stolen,taken away, or lost.

The other treasures in heaven are spiritual. They do not consist of the things of the world which perish, but are everlasting. You cannot compare a bag of gold which will be no good to you when you die to everlasting life. Everlasting life is the main promise that was given to us. This is treasure. If we recieve everlasting life, then we will get other treasures as well. Spiritual things that money cannot buy. We will be so rich then because it says that the saints will inherit everything that belongs to the Father. All will be ours too. So we have to concentrate on the spiritual treasures that await us, and invest on that, our reward which is coming. Not material things which dont save our souls.

I apologize to anyone who already knows my story: I am adopted, and was found in a cardboard box in front of a theater when I was only a few days old. Someone found me and I was eventually taken to an orphanage... and God brought me home to the best, most wonderful Christian parents I could have ever had when I was six months old.
Dont apologise. That is a wonderful story. You were blessed and protected right from the start. You could of done what most others do and blame God for your situation, but instead you show gratitude and recognise the wonderful parents God provided to take care of you and can see the positive side to it. God Bless you.

BUT, what confuses me is, why does God tell us to work towards having riches in heaven if riches are meaningless? Here on earth, riches can be used to care for the poor, fund ministries, and build churches. In heaven, there won't be any poor or sick to care for, and God will be the ONLY church and ministry, so why would we need riches in heaven?
Riches are only meaningless in this world, not heaven. You dont have to be rich to help the poor. Anyone can give someone a meal or a little help. Even a poor person can share what little he has. As far as the fund ministries and churches go you are talking worldly now. Material things. We have the Word of God in print (holy bible) Everything needed for our salvation is found in there. Gods building is not made out of brick and stone but it is a spiritual building. The temple of God is within you. You belong to that true church and that true church is inside you. Your body is the building and your church goes wherever you go.

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."
Matthew 19:21

To answer your question, think of the treasures of a king. These treasures bring the king joy and make the king feel powerful and of a high stature. Maybe in heaven we won't all be equals. I mean many of us will be, but I imagine that there might be some who have accumulated so much heavenly treasure in their lives that they will be of a higher stature than the rest of us. Sort of like higher rank. These folks earned their higher ranks by giving more of themselves while on earth. This is not to say that the lesser people are any lesser but maybe God rewards those who lived by His word exceptionally well with great treasure that places them head and shoulders above the rest of the crowd. I don't have any scriptures to back that up though. I just thought it up.