Why be salty?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

Jullianna

I didn't want to hijack someone else's thread in this forum, so I'm making my own. :)

A question arose in another thread as to why christians shouldn't just throw in the towel when it APPEARS that the world is "winning" regarding an issue.

Since it's always better to let the Word do the talking, here's why:

Rather, let our lives lovingly express truth [in all things, speaking truly, dealing truly, living truly]. Enfolded in love, let us grow up in every way and in all things into Him Who is the Head, [even] Christ (the Messiah, the Anointed One). Ephesians 4: 15

Therefore, rejecting all falsity and being done now with it, let everyone express the truth with his neighbor, for we are all parts of one body and members one of another. Ephesians 4: 25

Lord, who shall dwell [temporarily] in Your tabernacle? Who shall dwell [permanently] on Your holy hill? He who walks and lives uprightly and blamelessly, who works rightness and justice and speaks and thinks the truth in his heart. Psalm 15: 1-2

He must correct his opponents with courtesy and gentleness, in the hope that God may grant that they will repent and come to know the Truth [that they will perceive and recognize and become accurately acquainted with and acknowledge it] 2 Timothy 2: 25

Stand therefore [hold your ground], having tightened the belt of truth around your loins and having put on the breastplate of integrity and of moral rectitude and right standing with God. Ephesians 6: 14

"You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men. Matthew 5:13

Blessed are those who have learned to acclaim you, who walk in the light of your presence, O LORD.
Psalm 89:15

"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven."
Matthew 5

"No one lights a lamp and hides it in a jar or puts it under a bed. Instead, he puts it on a stand, so that those who come in can see the light."
"Luke 8:16

And he said to them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation. Mark 16:15

For our appeal does not spring from error or impurity or any attempt to deceive, but just as we have been approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel, so we speak, not to please man, but to please God who tests our hearts. For we never came with words of flattery, as you know, nor with a pretext for greed—God is witness. Nor did we seek glory from people, whether from you or from others, though we could have made demands as apostles of Christ. But we were gentle among you, like a nursing mother taking care of her own children. ...
I Thess 2

Out of the mouth of babies and infants, you have established strength because of your foes, to still the enemy and the avenger. Psalm 8:2

That's why....because it is not the will of God that anyone should believe a lie and perish. It must be in the hearts of His people to share the Truth in compassionate love.

--------------------
As for the fence riders who call themselves by the Name of the Lord who choose to twist the Truth for their purposes, the Word also has a thing or two to say about that:

Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter.
Isaiah 5:20

Matthew 18: 1 At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, “Who, then, is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?”

2 He called a little child to him, and placed the child among them. 3 And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 4 Therefore, whoever takes the lowly position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. 5 And whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me. 6 “If anyone causes one of these little ones—those who believe in me—to stumble, it would be better for them to have a large millstone hung around their neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea. 7 Woe to the world because of the things that cause people to stumble! Such things must come, but woe to the person through whom they come! 8 If your hand or your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life maimed or crippled than to have two hands or two feet and be thrown into eternal fire. 9 And if your eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into the fire of hell.

Salt may be irritating at first, but it can bring tremendous healing and preservation.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
I totally agree that salt can be good... but don't forget the pepper as well. :D (And sometimes, salt is bound to raise blood pressures...)

K

kiwi_OT

This is why when you cook, a pinch is all you need to taste the difference between bland and flavoursome.
I think the same can be applied in theological debate.

J

Jullianna

For most people, that seems to be true. I wish it were true always. :)

Some people respond well to the teachings of John. Some need the teaching of Paul.

C

Cairn

I totally agree that salt can be good... but don't forget the pepper as well. :D (And sometimes, salt is bound to raise blood pressures...)

Hahaha, I think we all know what the Bible means. Like a light on a hill.

It means that Christians are going to be different whether they like it or not. It's just the nature of the beast, or in this case, the nature of the struggle to resist the beast. Christians are what makes the world worth keeping. How many times in the Bible has God spared those who lived in sin for the sake of His children? How many more times since before and after the Bible was written do we not even know about? Only ten people faithful to God would have spared a city like Soddom and Gamorrah. There may be a reason why the most Biblically-minded-Christian dominated nations on this earth are also the most free, the most stable economically, and the most giving and influential towards human rights and freedom world-wide. And there also may be a reason why that is all changing throughout these nations as they continue to reject Christ more and more as a nation.

And it should be that Christians are different because if it were not, then what would be the reason to come to Christ? Christians are going to seem awkward when they refuse to cuss or when they choose to be good to someone that is socially accepted to be undesirable, that is, if it's not the Christian who is the undesirable, which it is, in many cases. I have personally found that people like to single the people that act like Christians and harass them in subtle ways. They talk about them, they try to guess at what they're hiding behind their nice-person "facade," they try and see where the Christian is at fault, they make up faults for the Christian, they choose to see the Christian as being judgmental regardless of whether that is actually the case, they make fun of their innocence, and often attempt to make fun of them as though they are also ignorant. Many times is all in jest, and many times it's malicious.

I never truly knew what it mean that others would mistreat another because of Christ because none of the mistreatment was ever specifically about my religion or what I believed. It always attacks against me and who I was, never about my religion. But I eventually realized that the reason they attack me is because I'm singled out, perhaps by Satan, perhaps because I do not participate or I seem to hold myself to a higher standard, who knows, but what they are noticing about me that singles me out is only because of the fact that I carry my life and attitude with respect to what God would want. So when I am singled out for their jokes and looked at as though I'm stupid, it's only because I was first singled out to begin with because of something they saw about me that was only there because I choose to serve Christ.

Christians cannot help but be different, no matter how much alike they are to everyone around them, they will still be singled out because they serve Christ.

Aug 2, 2009
I'm gonna post this verse because I think I know what this thread is originally about and I think this verse applies.

A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion.
Proverbs 18:2 ESV

J

Jullianna

That's true, Gabe. Sometimes we still give it a try, don't we? But once we recognize foolishness, you're right. We do have to let it go. :)

Dude653

Mar 19, 2011
Am i the only person in the world that doesnt like salt?

J

Jullianna

LOL! From the looks of some of the threads, apparently not. :)

But then, we were never promised that being salty would be popular, were we? *shrugs*

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jullianna

Our pastor was talking about this very issue yesterday and it served as a confirmation from the Lord to be even more bold about sharing my heart and faith. He said that the world is in the mess it's in because some christians are content to sit on their pews every Sunday while the rest of the world is going to hell. The "Oh well, I got mine. Let them get their own" mentality. And satan (I refuse to even capitalize his name) and the world want us to sit down, shut up, and behave like the pretty little coloring book cookiecutter Jesus they're used to knowing because they don't know the scriptures.

Time is short and the Lord paid too high a price for His people not to obey Him and share His passion for the lost. He hasn't given up. Peter didn't give up. Paul didn't give up. We're running a race and I, for one, have never been a quitter or a coward, especially when it comes to those I love. Should I give up on those HE loves? If I do, do I really love Him? From studying the books written by John recently (led by Stilly..thanks btw :) ), I would have to say that if I love Him, I'll obey Him, strive to be more like Him and love those whom He loves.

Like some posters in another recent thread, I don't understand why some people come in here spewing the world's vomitous version of the truth and expect no one to respond to it, though I have come to recognize that some are simply instigators who are too foolish to realize that they are satan's Barbies whose hearts have been undeniably hardened. When I see that for what it is, I don't even bother to respond to or read their posts most of the time because it's the same old blah, blah, blahs I've read from others for the past 20+ years. We can only pray that the Holy Spirit will do His job and that at some point, good seed will take root. BUT, there are also those who seem to be genuine in their searches and have merely be blinded and confused by the same voices we all were once. It is for these that I pray and desire to fight the good fight in gratitude to not only my Savior, but that others once did the same for me.

We battle the battles we are called to. We allow ourselves times of restoration, as Christ did. But, we don't rest back on our padded haunches hoping, like the lazy servant in the parable of the talents, that someone, somewhere else is fulfulling The Great Commission.

And...in the words of Forest Gump, "That's pretty much all I have to say about that." ;)

J

Jullianna

LOL! Pray for me, sister. I have a bad case of redhead today. :) I should probably stay out of the forums for a bit and go find some chocolate. :)