Why believe the bible?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jun 19, 2021
@Hungry
2 Peter 1:21 “the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost”
Acts 9:15 “he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name”

2 Samuel 23:2 “the LORD spake by me”
2 Timothy 3:16 “All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable”
=> Men spoke as they were moved by God.
=> God says Paul is a vessel he personally chose to bear his name.
=> God spoke by David.
=> All scripture.

Psalms 12:6 “The words of the LORD are pure
Psalms 12:7 “LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.”
=> A creator wants his creation to know what he wants.
=> And so naturally; God gives us simple access to his word: Which he naturally has the power to preserve perfectly for us forever.

John 17:11 “Holy Father,”
John 17:17thy word is truth.”
1 Timothy 2:3-4 “God our Saviour; who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.”
=> God wants all men to know his word.

Acts 17:10-11 “And the brethren immediately sent away Paul and Silas by night unto Berea: who coming thither went into the synagogue of the Jews. These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.”
2 Timothy 2:15Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.”
=> Search the scriptures daily. Study the word.
Alright, and thank you for being more straight forward I genuinely appreciate it.
=> Why do you believe that?

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
@Hungry
The soul is similar to the flesh but invisible (1 Corinthians 15:44, Luke 16:23-24).
A person has a spiritual heart (invisible) and a physical heart (visible).
The physical heart is systematically purely sinfully corrupted (Jeremiah 17:9).
Someone who has unlosable eternal life; a child of God: Has God's laws written in the heart of his soul, but still has the sinful corrupted dying heart of the temporal flesh. (Romans 3:12, Ecclesiastes 7:20, Romans 7)

In everyday life whenever a person becomes a child of God; it's that person's soul&spirit that receives unlosable eternal life.
Not that person's flesh; that person's sinful corrupted dying flesh continues to get older&eventually physically dies.
=> As long as a child of God has flesh: Sin is part of that person.
=> As long as a child of God has flesh: Scripture is absolutely necessary to differentiate biblical ideas of the soul from sinful ideas of the flesh.
Not quite. The spirit is the eternal part of man. That is the part that is born again. The soul is the organ of expression, consisting primarily of mind, emotion and will. The soul includes created, natural life. It is not the uncreated life of God.

When Adam disobeyed, he died. Obviously it was was not physical, neither did his soul die. However, the natural life became corrupted by the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil. Adam's spirit died and he had only the natural life to guide him. As we know all too well, the natural man does not understand the things of God.

When we are born again, we receive a new spirit. We now have a choice. We can live by thought and feeling and self will still. Or we can live by the indwelling Holy Spirit, who is really the Lord Jesus in the form of the Spirit. (2 Corinthians 3:17)

If we choose to live by the Spirit, we will know love, joy, peace, victory, wisdom - every spiritual blessing. The life lived by the natural man is confusion, selfish ambition, deception, failure and defeat. A great deal can be accomplished by the power of the soul. There are many great works that men produce and proudly present to God. God has this wonderful attribute of being a consuming fire. Whatever is a product of man's ingenuity, initiative, drive and natural talents is dead as far as God is concerned. It's not what we do for Christ that counts. It's what He does in and through us to get His will done. All that is dead works will be burned up. We do well to learn the difference.

Jun 19, 2021
@Gideon300
Hi man, on page 1 I elaborated with verses in a comment I posted right after the one you quoted (a follow up to it).
And
Ezekiel 18:20 says “The soul that sinneth, it shall die.” but otherwise for the most part I agree with what you wrote!

Jun 30, 2021
What is the text actually saying about reality?

It is suggesting there is an underlying oneness

Is that true?

Can we find out directly by engaging it?

This is what is attempted through the texts in a responsible way

Of course it is flawed because they had no way of checking their theories

All they want to tell us is this experience of union

Nov 26, 2012
@Hungry
2 Peter 1:21 “the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost”
Acts 9:15 “he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name”

2 Samuel 23:2 “the LORD spake by me”
2 Timothy 3:16 “All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable”
=> Men spoke as they were moved by God.
=> God says Paul is a vessel he personally chose to bear his name.
=> God spoke by David.
=> All scripture.

Psalms 12:6 “The words of the LORD are pure
Psalms 12:7 “LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.”
=> A creator wants his creation to know what he wants.
=> And so naturally; God gives us simple access to his word: Which he naturally has the power to preserve perfectly for us forever.

John 17:11 “Holy Father,”
John 17:17thy word is truth.”
1 Timothy 2:3-4 “God our Saviour; who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.”
=> God wants all men to know his word.

Acts 17:10-11 “And the brethren immediately sent away Paul and Silas by night unto Berea: who coming thither went into the synagogue of the Jews. These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.”
2 Timothy 2:15Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.”
=> Search the scriptures daily. Study the word.
Alright, and thank you for being more straight forward I genuinely appreciate it.
=> Why do you believe that?
Firstly, the “Scripture” they referred to was the Books of the prophets. David did prophecy but he also wrote a lot of songs. The Prophets were clear when they uttered and wrote what was from the Lord. David just wrote songs (Psalms) that had some prophecy in them. Not every lyric is delivered from God. Also the New Testament wasn’t written by prophets. It was recorded by inspired, flawed men, and translated by inspired flawed men and taught by sometimes corrupted men and read by confused uninspired and inspired men. This is why Christians can’t agree on fundamental issues. They take a half of a verse here and put it with half of a verse there and throw in what some pastor said and blend it with flawed understanding. Look at your post. That’s what you’re doing. The Bible doesn’t claim inerrancy. A letter to Timothy tells him that Scripture not the Bible is useful and good for teaching and validating their claims of Christ being Messiah, and how to live righteously, not that it will be ever translated and taught accurately.

You keep asking me why I believe that God communicates with His children. I keep explaining it and you keep asking. Of course He talks to us. Literacy has only been commonplace for a few centuries. The church has been corrupted since the 500s. It wasn’t translated into English until Shakespeare. There are context and concepts lost.

Lastly, it you want to understand God and what is written you need to search truth in every corner of recorded history, not just what corrupted men allowed into the Book. Then pray for years for wisdom expecting supernatural transformation of the mind. Meditate and fast daily at length. Desire nothing! Have no affinity for this world for it’s pleasures and treasures. Seek only truth and wisdom. When you pray, don’t speak, shut up and listen. What you have to say is far less important than what God has to say. Then as you sit there in the silence, although you are in a completely dark room, light will fill your mind so brilliantly you will open your eyes because it’s like a bright light was turned on. Stay in that quiet, with the pulse in your neck beating like a base drum. Then the Lord of Hosts will download His Truth into your mind. Every puzzle piece will be aligned and placed accurately and explained. Then you will quit asking, “Why do I believe that?”

Blade

Nov 19, 2019
Hi MatthewKJV since you posted it I will ask why a video by "Steven Anderson". Many before him and after go into great depth about 1611. Why him? The other one.. I can only guess is I THINK from so no name someone on youtube. Just going to put it out there.. context.

What was once asked "Who are you? Who knows you? How long have you walked in what you preach and teach?" Then they would all go and pray for a very long time. Very wise right. Today.. each unknown believer can say anything as its the real Gospel. Me..oh no.. I believe in Jesus Christ.. He is truth.

Feb 20, 2020
Dear Blade, I too believe in Jesus Christ. He is The only Way, The Truth and The Life, only we can have our sins forgiven through Jesus and we are cleansed by His precious blood.

Jun 19, 2021
@Hungry
=> "God personally chose Paul as vessel to bear his name, but Paul's writings are not scripture."
=> "God wants all men to know his word, but God doesn't provide his word in the largest language."
=> "The holy bible is not holy, what God tells you in prayer is holy."
=> "When you pray you shouldn't speak."

You keep mentioning additional things that you believe.
You don't say why you believe this.
Why do you believe any of this?
@Blade
Hi man, the subject of these videos I linked isn't really about the 1611 like that, it's about how to be guaranteed heaven!
Why these 2 videos specifically? Because I think they're the best ones I could find, there are other options of course.
I'm not sure I understand the rest of what you wrote but the bible has just as much authority regardless of who quotes it.