Why can’t i speak in tongues as a Christian

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

• I need the holy sprite

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • God’s guidances

Votes: 7 87.5%

• Total voters

wolfwint

Feb 15, 2014
As do you. Your false narrative of: "There is no scripure in the bible which taught that the sign to be baptised with the Holy Spirit is the gift of speaking in tongues."

The word "Trinity" and the concept were not taught in the word of God either but are revealed in the word of God.

Your logic is errored.

In your eyes, you think you are the authoritative word of God. You are not Jesus is.

Mark 16:17-18
Acts 1:8

Acts 2:38
Acts 8:14-20
Acts 10:44-48
Then show me where in the scripture this was taught to the believers. Acts is reporting from events which taken place. Nowhere in the letters f.e. you find that it is taught to the adressed believers that everybody who is baptised with the Holy Spirit is speaking in tounges. And again Paul said clear that not all believers will get the gift of speaking in tongues. Period.
But you have of course to ignore this, otherwise you cant longer claim your view.

May 1, 2022
What you are talking about?
First : this was a promiss for the apostles.
Second: there is no mentioning from speaking in tounges which will bring us nearer to God.
The baptism of The Holy Ghost, accompanied by initial physical evidence of Speaking in Tongues, is a Pinnacle of God's Grace to deny that is to deny everything else.

By baptizing us in His Spirit he now dwells within us. First He was an Invisible God. Then He became know to us through the Face of Jesus Christ. Now if you will allow and yield yourself He want to work in and through you.

If you limit the power of the Holy Ghost to just the Apostle, than now you have put God in a box. Besides Jesus wouldn't tell his disciples something and the Body of Christ something different, that would be absurd. I want to help you understand but you have to have a heart willing to listen.

The Holy Ghost Christ mentioned in these scriptures is the same speaking in tongues Holy Ghost in Acts Chapter 2. They are not two Holy Ghosts that would make more than one God.

My Signature------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Noone on Earth brings new revelation, that isn't already revealed through the Word of God, which is fullest revelation given to man. Through the moving and operation of the Holy Ghost, I Pray what we say here brings the truth of these Revelations, truth by truth, or precept upon precept, to the heart of the hearer. Lay what we say before the feet of Jesus (Word of God) and compare, the Bible is Always truth, so if they don't match, we need to reevaluate our stance. What we say or do here will have lasting impact upon the believer and sinner alike. We most certainly have freedom of speech, but any true christian will weigh what they say against the Word of God and if they don't agree God is not in error, and we need to pray for understanding. Those that have more meat of the Word can help those who are struggling, if done with humility, peace and love. I don't mind a peaceful debate, but when we start to argue amongst each other that is not the Spirit of God. God Bless and Peace to you all.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 1, 2022
Then show me where in the scripture this was taught to the believers. Acts is reporting from events which taken place. Nowhere in the letters f.e. you find that it is taught to the adressed believers that everybody who is baptised with the Holy Spirit is speaking in tounges. And again Paul said clear that not all believers will get the gift of speaking in tongues. Period.
But you have of course to ignore this, otherwise you cant longer claim your view.
Nowhere in the letters f.e. you find that it is taught to the adressed believers

The Epistle Az~s

May 1, 2022
Nowhere in the letters f.e. you find that it is taught to the adressed believers

The Epistles are given to the Body of Christ for instructions in Righteousness. The Entirety of the Book of Acts is what the Apostles what doing for those lost, sick, and broken. The addressed believers are already saved and Filled with the Holy Ghost and Speaking in Tongues, that fundamental truth for salvation was already known to them.

Act 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. To ALL believers who are truly Baptized with The Holy Ghost. Plainly in Scripture no arguing there.

And again Paul said clear that not all believers will get the gift of speaking in tongues. Period.

1Co 12:30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

The speak with tongues here mention is the Tongues spoken aloud to entire congregation which needs Interpretation. Not the speaking in Tongues, everyone who is truly baptized in the Holy Ghost, receives that is direct hidden communication between them and God.

My Signature------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Noone on Earth brings new revelation, that isn't already revealed through the Word of God, which is fullest revelation given to man. Through the moving and operation of the Holy Ghost, I Pray what we say here brings the truth of these Revelations, truth by truth, or precept upon precept, to the heart of the hearer. Lay what we say before the feet of Jesus (Word of God) and compare, the Bible is Always truth, so if they don't match, we need to reevaluate our stance. What we say or do here will have lasting impact upon the believer and sinner alike. We most certainly have freedom of speech, but any true christian will weigh what they say against the Word of God and if they don't agree God is not in error, and we need to pray for understanding. Those that have more meat of the Word can help those who are struggling, if done with humility, peace and love. I don't mind a peaceful debate, but when we start to argue amongst each other that is not the Spirit of God. God Bless and Peace to you all.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dec 24, 2022
UK
For those who laughed...

I cCAN speak dog...
many a tail has wagged in my presence. I know that well, does that count?

CS1

May 23, 2012

Again, please listen. You do not have to agree.

All believers have received the Holy Spirit and can have the gifts of the Holy Spirit. As there Book of Acts states

Acts 1:8 Jesus was speaking

on the day Of Pentacost Peter Said or Taught is you prefer.

Acts 2:14-18,32-33and 38

14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, raised his voice and said to them, “Men of Judea and all who dwell in Jerusalem, let this be known to you, and heed my words.

15 For these are not drunk, as you suppose, since it is only the third hour of the day. 16 But this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel:

17 ‘And it shall come to pass in the last days, says God,
That I will pour out of My Spirit on all flesh;
Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,
Your young men shall see visions,
Your old men shall dream dreams.
18 And on My menservants and on My maidservants
I will pour out My Spirit in those days;
And they shall prophesy.

32 This Jesus God has raised up, of which we are all witnesses. 33 Therefore being exalted to the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, He poured out this which you now see and hear.

38 Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call.”

This promise of the Gift of the Holy Spirit is to all AS it states!

Peter was very Clear. " the promise of the Holy Spirit, He poured out this which you now see and hear. "

It is for ALL who repent and believe in the Lord Jesus Christ.

Paul then teaches in 1cor chapters 12 through 14

Paul started off by saying :

"Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I do not want you to be ignorant:"

Paul did not want us to be unlearned concerning the Gifts of the Holy Spirit, so Paul taught them.

"There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. 6 And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all. 7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all:"

27 Now you are the body of Christ, and members individually.
28 And God has appointed these in the church:
first apostles, second prophets, third teachers,

after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, varieties of tongues.

29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Are all workers of miracles?

30 Do all have gifts of healings? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret?

31 But earnestly desire the best gifts. And yet I show you a more excellent way.

The word "Best" here means desire the gift that best fits the job needing to be done. If it healing, seek healing if it is working of miracles seek that and ask the Holy Spirit for them and desire to do them as long as it is for the betterment of ALL>

FYI, that is teaching from the word of God, and you have your answer to your qestion.

turbosixx

Sep 16, 2023
Now when Simon saw that the Spirit was given through the laying on of the apostles' hands, he offered them money,

Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away.

Nov 19, 2023
The very Greek word which is “ Dialect “ is the Greek word “ dialektos “ διάλεκτος - dialektos / dee-al'-ek-tos.

Meaning, A discourse, that is, “Dialect”: - A Language or a Tongue.

And the Bible proves in transparency and clarity the way that this word is used in the manuscripts.

Let's take a look at -- Act 2:6.

Act 2:6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own DIALECT - διάλεκτος - dialektos / / - Language.

7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?

8 And how hear we every man in our own διάλεκτος - dialektos / language, wherein we were born?

Verse 9 - here, tells us exactly what the Hebrew speaking authors were DEFINING as the very meaning of the word

=- διάλεκτος - dialektos / dialect.

Verse 9 The dialects were the Languages of Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,

10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, Libya, Cyrene, Rome, Jews and proselytes, Cretes and Arabians -- LANGUAGES

We do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

the Greek word DIALECT - διάλεκτος - dialektos - is intended to understand that these were totally and completely entirely different Languages, Regions, Countries Nationalities and Races and certainly many different Writing Languages and Literatures.

Here in the scriptures the meaning and usage of this very Greek word dialect - διάλεκτος - dialektos --- shows the regional differences of the surrounding NATIONAL LANGUAGES and Literatures -

of different Nationalities and dialect languages were a peoples ranging from over a 1,500 + mile radius. Area.

The manuscripts show that any Two dialect - διάλεκτος - dialektos are different Literatures, Languages, Races, Ethnic groups and completely different Governments and Countries - where speakers cannot understand each other are considered DIFFERENT languages, in the manuscripts.

Oct 10, 2023
one of the traps is lack of understanding of the Bible about tounges is what tounges are it is a language not an unknown language

Jun 20, 2022
one of the traps is lack of understanding of the Bible about tounges is what tounges are it is a language not an unknown language
Exactly!
People, are hung up about the concept of Tongues, due to it making no sense when heard.
but Paul said, it's a MYSTERY no man is able to Understand + it's Purpose is for the Holy Spirit to search your soul and then tell God what is needed. and this dialogue is called Speaking in Tongues. It also [Edifies] the Church Body, or the One Praying in Tongues.

so, according to Paul, it should NEVER be understood.
that is why it requires being filled with the Spirit of God and having the Gift of Tongues in order to Interpret Tongues.

but everyone wants to dismiss Paul's words, that is, until they use his words for their Calvin Doctrines.
which i find interesting.
how can what Paul say be incorrect about Tongues, but for their Doctrines, suddenly Paul's words, are solid gold gospel?

selahsays

May 31, 2023
Greetings, Gordon :)

Yes, I agree.

And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven. Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language. And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans? And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

- Acts 2:3-8 (KJV)

CS1

May 23, 2012
The one thing that must also be understood is " As the Holy Spirit gave the utterance ." Meaning they did not have the ability before the Holy Spirit enabled them to speak. Therefore, it is an unlearned language or an unknown tongue.

The full context is needed.