Why did God choose to create us as sexual beings?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

Mooky

I am looking for answers here.Preferably intelligent ones.
It seems that human sexuality has caused alot of trouble throughout time.Think of sexual predators, sexual harrassment, child molestors,damaging divorces and all other kinds of unwanted attention( I speak as a female here.)
I mean, if human reproduction was important, couldn't we have done it some other way?Like plant seeds in a field the same way we plant and harvest potatos?
Now women are stuck with the job of giving birth and being treated as second class citizens if they don't absolutely LOVE children and want to submit to a husband for the rest of their earthly lives.
Whats more , is that women are objectified at every turn and evaluated by how attractive they are.If they are attractive they have to fend off unwanted attention and feel unsafe in public areas and if they are less attractive they are more often than not dismissed and made to feel as though something is lacking.
I really have a problem with the idea that men and women somehow "complete " each other and although I aknowledge that the bible is explicit about homosexuality being a sin - which I accept as Gods word - I feel that the church is still a patriarchal institution - where women tend to play second fiddle - at least this is the case in most reformed churches.
I wish there would be less emphasis on gender differences and more emphasis on our common HUMANITY.Ideally, we would be asexual and therefore not have to be drawn into the war of the sexes.
There wouldn't be an overpopulated world, where mostly women are victims of sexual assault and exploitation and we wouldn't have the abortion debate.
In my opinion, human sexuality is not a gift - it is more trouble than it's worth.

W

wwjd_kilden

Well, if people had managed to live as God intended, it wouldn't be a huge problem.

Most, if not all our problems stem from sin, and lust is one of them: Lust for money, power, intimacy (with others than those one is married to) etc.

I must admit I am worried by how many of my friends state that "I have to know how good the other person is in bed before marrying them". It does not seem to me like a thing to base a relationship on, yet it seems to be important to so many.

M

Mooky

Perhaps I should qualify this statement by saying that I know that ALL of creation was created and pronounced to be 'VERY GOOD"and perhaps the question should have been entitled"Why did God allow evil?"
Still, its food for thought and I hope people can appreciate that this area of human relationships and identity is an area that alot of genuine people struggle with profoundly.

C

Closemyeyes2cU

Perhaps I should qualify this statement by saying that I know that ALL of creation was created and pronounced to be 'VERY GOOD"and perhaps the question should have been entitled"Why did God allow evil?"
Still, its food for thought and I hope people can appreciate that this area of human relationships and identity is an area that alot of genuine people struggle with profoundly.
God allowed evil because he gave man freewill and what is the use of given man freewill if you dont give him something to choose? So he gave them a choice between the tree of life and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. You cant have true love what out freewill and there is no point in having freewill without having choices.

Jul 12, 2012
I believe figuring out what sex and marriage, male and female are supposed to be, reveals what our relationship with the creator is supposed to be.

I believe what we see and experience about sex and marriage in our current condition, all the abominations, reveals what our relationship with the creator currently is.

Mankind as a whole that is.

Today, mankind believes he (woman) must bargain with the creator (man) for acceptance or reward, and that this is unfair. (which it is)
Today, mankind believes the creator (man) wants to force Himself upon us (woman) or use us, while simultaneously ignoring our needs. (unrighteous)
And reflected in homosexuality, today, mankind wants himself and the creator to be identical. That is, be his own god. But the only way to attempt such is with abominable acts that do not bear fruit.

Try to build a spiritual place inside you that can identify what gender and sexual roles are supposed to be, rather than what we have made them into.

We are made in His image, male and female, and our anatomy and the way life is perpetuated, are reflective of the spiritual union. Every little detail.

I won't get into nitty-gritty details because they would be considered "unsavory", however, the details are not unsavory! We have just been deceived into thinking it's a dirty topic, for the express purpose of taking away our understanding! Plus, it's better if you contemplate it secretly rather than take my or anyone else's word for it. Then you can dwell on the details as much as you want. Don't feel guilty because of it!
It can be a beautiful and clean path of thought, even the details.

There is a clean and Set Apart way to analyze sex in as much detail as you wish.
But you've been told it's sinful to contemplate the interaction of genitalia and pleasure.
We're just not supposed to contemplate adultery, stealing soul mates, or fornication, unclean acts.
You've been told that thinking about sexual pleasure, and craving it, is lust of the flesh.
But lusts of the flesh (plural) are lust of anything physical for self gain at the expense of self or others.
Cravings can be Set Apart. ("holy")
They just usually aren't.

Prostitution, adultery, virginity: Spiritual themes that are rampant in scripture, but rarely analyzed beyond the physical.

Read, contemplate, pray.

M

mule

Hey there,
If you want to be a non sexual being just make it into the kingdom -- there is no marriage there -- haha

Along your line of thinking we can ask why did God make us jealous beings, envious, why do we lust at all? Why can we be brought to rage, to murder, to war? Why is it in us to steal and lie and cheat?
It seems to be our nature or at least our nature until we are born of God. You are missing the truth that we can have power over our flesh. The things that you mentioned don't have to rule our members. Our spirit is WHO we are not our flesh.
Just a side note for you -- I am female -- I realized in my late 20s I didn't want to marry, I could never submit to a man and give up my authority in life so I began to live a celibate life. This of course is not for all --Jesus spoke about it using the eunuchs. Paul spent much time writing about it. Personally I find rest and peace for my spirit in my decision.
I have been raped 3 times, I was molested as a child. I have been beat up robbed kidnapped and I have seen the evil nature of mankind. I don't think it is right to blame God for making mankind this way I do think the blame falls on man for choosing to follow that path. It comes down to love of others --the question should be why don't men know love -one for another?

M

MidniteWelder

As well the relationship between man and woman should resemble the relationship between mankind (the church) and Christ.
Christ has authority over all heaven and earth.
The bible tells us that woman is not to have authority over man.
this may seem unfair, yet is it unfair for Christ to have authority over us as our protector guide and leader?
No
Sin or evil didnt start with man, it started with Satan trying to exalt himself as equal with God
The devil tries to put the same iniquities in our hearts to rebel against the authorities over us.
Rebellion.
Again free will, we choose to submit or rebel just as Even the angels in heaven have a choice
But what happened to Satan when he exercised his free will against the will of God
Cast out of heaven.
If we choose to exercise our own free will against the will of God there are consequences
God is a just God or he would make himself a liar.
He's also a God of mercy and has offered us the loving choice to repent and correction through his ways.
God also runs a kingdom in which Jesus is Lord not a democracy where popular vote counts since the devil would try to sway popular vote and as we all know out of 1000 people 999 can be wrong.
Only God is right since he is perfect, and also since he created us and also since Jesus has overcome the world.
In his kingdom even the angels have ranks or duties very simlar to how our miltary has ranks
Each person in the military may be equal to one another and be able to perform the same duties yet a private doesnt try to challenge the general.
Each angel may be equal to one another yet they dont fight over one anothers purpose of Gods plan for their creation.
They obey Gods commands as we are asked to obey Jesus' commands and not argue or have a contentious attitude toward him out of love and respect for his gift of love and sacrifice and mercy for us.
Satan didnt obey and instead challenged God and his authority.
Evil is merely the absence of God, challenging him and rebelling against him.
One may ask then why does God allow evil to be present with one of his chosen children.
Why was Satan cast to earth where he would obviously be put into interaction with us?
I like to look at Job for this answer
God has a right to be proud, the bible says if we boast boast in the Lord.
I think God likes to be proud of us for choosing him and his ways
Kind of like when Satan kept telling God concerning Job, if I do this he will curse your name etc etc.
And in a way God says, Oh yeah? Go ahead and they'll still choose me.
Just like Job
We have the free will to choose to be in the Lords favor by throwing it in Satans face, not to choose rebellion against Gods way of order instead of chaos.
Why did God allow the fall of man and force us to be cursed as well because of Adam and Eves decision?
I dunno, but I do know that when I tend to walk in the Lords ways evil tends to leave me and peace and blessing surround me.
I wouldnt attribute this to coincidence, since there is no such thing.
Coincidence is Gods way of remaining anonymous to those who need signs and choose not to believe not just that hes there but to believe in him with faith alone.
But then again were called to serve and are told we will endure trials and sacrifice the same as Christ did for us.
When were faced with these situations I believe this is so we can better understand and fully appreciate what Christ actually did for us.
The bible never did promise that once we became a believer life would be easy, lest everyone would be doing it and the choice would be easy
Were told to enter through the narrow gate as opposed to always trying to take the easy way out since the easy wide path leads to destruction
We gotta work for it, as with anything thats worthwhile
Is it worth it one may ask?
Thats a question only one can answer for themselves.
To me its worth it for one reason, because Christ showed he loved me first. Its the least I can do in return to follow him.

S

simplyme_bekah

um....so life would continue on? lol

E

episcopotic

Sex, relationships, and having children are channels through which God can teach us the gospel. They're means of grace. Putting aside yourself for the good of another, sacrificing your own goals for mutual benefit... it's why, I think, 1 Timothy says:

But women will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety.
It doesn't mean that merely having kids is enough, but the experience of having someone so dependent on you, for whom you have to put aside some of your own goals and desires, can help you understand what God's up to. It can, and usually does, go wrong.

The same is true of sex. I won't get into the details, but sex can be just as self-sacrificial as it can be greedy or violent. It can, and usually does, go wrong.

This isn't a why, though. We really can't approach the why. But this is, to me, a plausible way to find some good in the situation and maybe recover a little bit of its original intent.

M

Mooky

Well, if people had managed to live as God intended, it wouldn't be a huge problem.

Most, if not all our problems stem from sin, and lust is one of them: Lust for money, power, intimacy (with others than those one is married to) etc.

I must admit I am worried by how many of my friends state that "I have to know how good the other person is in bed before marrying them". It does not seem to me like a thing to base a relationship on, yet it seems to be important to so many.
Thanks for your thoughtful response.

chip

Banned
Aug 29, 2012
admittedly, it sure would be easier to walk a Godly path if we were not subject to hormones and desires - and, as a male to live in a culture where even Christian females have no concept of modesty. the ability to walk that straight course is on the one hand to know that we were created this way because it is 'right' in the long term and yet not find ourselves yielding to it as singles in the short term.

someone i have strong respect for, and a part of my life for quite a few years, is now 59, without having compromised on his faith or walk in this regard (yeah, i believe him). i met a Christian lady here last week, whom when this subject came up, commented that she was still looking and had not compromised herself either - and i think she was honest. so, it is possible and they both struggle as well - the fight between "what the heck" and abstinence.

i guess one of those instances where doing the right thing is more like punishing yourself, especially when you see all of your friends, Christian and non-Christian, having no problems being quite active and God is not whacking them.....

X

xino

all I can say is this

Romans 1:24
24 Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another.

Jul 12, 2012
If you want to be a non sexual being just make it into the kingdom -- there is no marriage there
Matthew 22, Mark 12

If I may, suggest a different understanding of the passage that explains this idea, which people accept seemingly based on this verse alone.

He said in the "resurrection" or "when the dead rise", not "the kingdom"

1. The people who asked Y'Shua about the 7 brothers story did not understand the original purpose of that law. They were more concerned about who's property the woman was, because each brother had a material investment in taking and caring for the woman, and because they weren't in the gospel zone.
It was a selfish question.
2. The kingdom of Elohim is not heaven, nor is it paradise. It is "at hand" meaning "within reach", not a future alternate dimension or other terminology. That would be heaven proper, which is also timeless. It is however, a prerequisite to paradise. "Kingdom of Elohim" not= "heaven" not= "paradise"
3. Mankind was created in and for an earthly paradise, and YHWH will restore all things according to His word.
4. Y'Shua's resurrected and glorified body remains male.
5. Only recently have we expanded the idea of soul-mate and marriage to be the same thing. Not long ago, and surely longer ago, it was considered more of an act of social duty than of love. Not saying that's the way it was intended, but only recently have we chosen to insist on finding our "soul-mate" to marry.
6. The answer given by Y'Shua is a spiritual answer to an errant material question.
7. Messengers (angels) don't have to guess like us, they just "know", because they are in "heaven", understanding, not on "earth" misunderstanding.

I submit:
The answer given by Y'Shua does not contradict the restoration of paradise, which includes being fruitful and multiplying, in a sinless place and state of mind that we were created for. Will He give us life, and the hope for a beautiful family if in the end we will only have it stripped in favor of something foreign?
The answer given by Y'Shua dismisses the idea of "marital ownership" because it says they neither "marry" as in, seeking diligently for a worthy woman, nor are they "given in marriage", seeking diligently for a worthy son in law, both at material expense. (dowry, rituals, etc.)

I believe Y'Shua was saying that in paradise, when resurrected, we (male and female) will just "know" like messengers, who our soul mate is/was, and we will join with that person in a proper and corrected husband and wife role, not "marriage."

What is all this learning good for if the reward is something abstract and "androgynously ghostlike"
What is this land of milk and honey that has children running in the streets and playing with previously wild animals?
Are those children locked in to the age they were when they died? Do they grow up in paradise and yield no more children, never even experiencing parenthood? Are our generations promised as sand of the sea limited to the current hundreds or thousands?
Or are they to be truly uncountable like the sand of the sea for all the future? We have an entire expanding universe to try and fill.
Are adults locked in to the age we are when we die? Or do we have our bodies restored to that magic age between childhood and adulthood before aging begins? If there is no more death, will we still age?

I believe we will have glorified bodies that do not age, probably in our beautiful teens, capable and willing of being fruitful and multiplying, without sin, as it was originally intended.

Regardless of all the details I have suggested, is it not at least noticeable that the question was materially based, He corrected the question by saying that the scripture was not understood, and then gave a spiritual answer? How do we take this to mean we will be infertile androgynous spirit creatures?

What was it that astonished the listeners with His doctrine? The simple thought that all of life's lessons about man and woman and children were for nothing? I can't believe that.

So why did He create us as sexual beings?
Thoughts? Supporting or contradicting scripture?

Salvation surely doesn't pivot on either interpretation, but I'd like to know what other people think.

B

babyboyblue

Are you just trying to understand what God did or are you literally suggesting that God made a mistake in choosing to have man reproduce in this way? Lucifer has perverted all things Holy. Sex, Marriage, Sabbath ...etc.

These things are perfect and God should be praised for Great things He has done.

U

Ugly

Sex was created to be used in one specific context. Mankind has taken sex out of its intended context and set it up as an idol to worship. In OT times they built giant statues in idol worship, today we worship ourselves, our own bodies, as opposed to statues of animals and made up figures. If sex had been contained only within the marriage bed as it was intended, none of these problems you mention would have happened. But just as with all things, anything that makes people feel good becomes abused. Drinking is another example. Its ok to have a drink, but look how much people love to abuse drinking. So is it God's fault for making things, or is it mankinds fault for abusing the good things God made?

C

carey

This is what i believe
God created sex to be a beautiful intimacy between a man and woman, but the devil being who he is perverted it. he will do anything to turn what God ment for good into something evil.

W

White82

My thought is similar to what a previous poste, WolfinOxHide, who said, "We are made in His image, male and female, and our anatomy and the way life is perpetuated, are reflective of the spiritual union."

Christ is longing for our union to Him so that we can become a body of Christ.
Just like:
Man/Woman is longing for our union to our soulmate/partner in life so that man and woman can become one flesh.

Some other thoughts
* Sex and marriage are temporary. These do not exist in heaven.
* God do not create sex to tempt us to sin. I believe that sex is created to reflect the happiness that we have when we become a body of Christ.
* Our sinful nature that create lustful thoughts which lead us to commit sexual sins.

M

Mooky

Valid points , but they do not answer the main questions originally stated.
I was not referring to sexual temptation as much as the subjugation of women in a marriage/church context and why we need sexuality at all when in Gods foreknowledge there would be so many victims of sexual crime - one example being the 27 million women and children who are exploited in human trafficking - often being raped by 40 different men each day.

C

Closemyeyes2cU

Valid points , but they do not answer the main questions originally stated.
I was not referring to sexual temptation as much as the subjugation of women in a marriage/church context and why we need sexuality at all when in Gods foreknowledge there would be so many victims of sexual crime - one example being the 27 million women and children who are exploited in human trafficking - often being raped by 40 different men each day.
Why did God bother creating beings that have an appetite and need to eat when in his foreknowledge he knew there would be an epidemic of obesity. Almost sounds like you are blaming God for the over indulgence and abuse by mankind of that which is natural and pure if done in a Godly way.

M

Mooky

Why did God bother creating beings that have an appetite and need to eat when in his foreknowledge he knew there would be an epidemic of obesity. Almost sounds like you are blaming God for the over indulgence and abuse by mankind of that which is natural and pure if done in a Godly way.

Actually I am not"blaming" God - I am honestly wrestling with one aspect of the problem of evil.This is a forum where we bring issues to the fore to discuss and find answers - if people aren't honest about their views, things tend to get a bit sanctimonious.