Why Did God Turn His Back? POLL

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Why Did God Turn His Back On Jesus?

• He couldn't stand seeing Jesus nailed to the cross

• He didn't see Jesus as his son anymore

• He couldn't stand to look at the sin of the world upon Jesus

• He didn't want to hear Jesus in pain

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Aug 12, 2013
Why did God turn his back on Jesus? We get the idea he did from "My God, My God, Why Have You Forsaken Me?"

I know the answer, but it is highly and widely misunderstood. I don't know if most people in the world know it, but not most Christian's I have met. I'd like to hear what you believe. Not for the point of us to debate or argue, though sometimes to find truth you need to, but that others can see different sides and look at the whole picture and help them see the truth. I know a lot of us can bring up scripture and still disagree, but like I said, it is widely misunderstood scripture.

Ready when you guys are. ;)

Poinsetta

Nov 24, 2018
I voted. Let me know if i got it right.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Why did God turn his back on Jesus? We get the idea he did from "My God, My God, Why Have You Forsaken Me?"
He did not.

Christ is God and He cannot forsake Himself.

Jesus cried out the first bar of a Psalm called 'the hind of the morning'
the hind is Israel. in the song, Israel, in unbelief, thinks it has been forsaken, but it has not.
He is describing what is happening all around Him, the fulfilling of prophecy even as He speaks it.
He's not full of unbelief on the cross. He is the everlasting Father, the Mighty God on the cross, in full control of the entire universe, living in the form of a completely sinless ((i.e. no doubt or unbelief, ever)) man.

i believe your presumption that God turned His back on Himself is false -- though extraordinarily common -- and is predicated on a very low view of the person of Jesus. so i don't even feel comfortable clicking 'other' because of how doing so partially legitimizes your question, but i did anyway because the truth as i understand it is something really, really, very, extremely other.

John146

Jan 13, 2016

I know the answer, but it is highly and widely misunderstood. I don't know if most people in the world know it, but not most Christian's I have met. I'd like to hear what you believe. Not for the point of us to debate or argue, though sometimes to find truth you need to, but that others can see different sides and look at the whole picture and help them see the truth. I know a lot of us can bring up scripture and still disagree, but like I said, it is widely misunderstood scripture.

Habakkuk 1:13 Thou art of purer eyes than to behold evil, and canst not look on iniquity: wherefore lookest thou upon them that deal treacherously, and holdest thy tongue when the wicked devoureth the man that is more righteous than he?

Aug 12, 2013
He did not.

the hind is Israel. in the song, Israel, in unbelief, thinks it has been forsaken, but it has not.
He is describing what is happening all around Him, the fulfilling of prophecy even as He speaks it.
He's not full of unbelief on the cross. He is the everlasting Father, the Mighty God on the cross, in full control of the entire universe, living in the form of a completely sinless ((i.e. no doubt or unbelief, ever)) man.

i believe your presumption that God turned His back on Himself is false -- though extraordinarily common -- and is predicated on a very low view of the person of Jesus. so i don't even feel comfortable clicking 'other' because of how doing so partially legitimizes your question, but i did anyway because the truth as i understand it is something really, really, very, extremely other.
I didn't say what I believed. I didn't say if I even would choose other or not. I asked what all of you think to discuss it to each other because I know many agree. in just a few minutes we already have a disagreement. so far, most disagree with you.

Aug 12, 2013
Habakkuk 1:13 Thou art of purer eyes than to behold evil, and canst not look on iniquity: wherefore lookest thou upon them that deal treacherously, and holdest thy tongue when the wicked devoureth the man that is more righteous than he?
those options are just the most popular ways people preach it and see it

Aug 12, 2013
I didn't mean to reply to you John146, but the other person who claims they think they know what I would believe

Aug 12, 2013
He did not.

Actually, god turning his back on Jesus raises the glory to Jesus MUCH greater! What you are saying isn't very glorifying. It appears you don't even understand HOW Jesus took our sins. God's wrath was placed upon Jesus for our sins, you think God is going to be a part of that? It wasn't the Father who was crucified, it wasn't Father and Son, it was ONLY the only begotten son of the Father who was crucified and took our punishment. Therefor, if he even took such a thing that even his own holy Father won't be a part of and set his eyes on, then it goes to show what our savior was willing to go through to save us! Jesus became the sin, bared our sin and took the wrath. The nails, bleeding and being on the cross wasn't how he paid our debt, but he did as God placed our sins upon him spiritually then once the wrath was over, so was his physical time to live.

What you sound like with your explanation, is you are calling Jesus a liar. I'm sure you don't view it that way. But I am sure if he is calling out to his Lord while taking our sins, I'm sure he literally means what he said. Perhaps that Psalms verse was a symbol of his crucifixion to come. Maybe.

Poinsetta

Nov 24, 2018
Jesus was JESUS he’s human he felt what anybody who is human feels.

Aug 12, 2013
Jesus was JESUS he’s human he felt what anybody who is human feels.
Yep. He walked the sufferings we did. Hunger, exhaustion, being hot and cold, thirsty, sleepy, probably got sick, attacked, emotionally bothered by others in different ways, homelessness, etc.

Jesus is not EXACTLY God. I say this to everyone. He is of his Father, and he is also of himself. If you understand the Trinity, God, Jesus & Holy spirit, they are all 1 and yet 3 different beings. They are very alike with holiness, same thoughts, same beliefs, etc. But just like I am in my body and you are in yours, we have our own being.

I know some people could be ready to fire right back and say I'm lying and try to correct me, so here is one example of scripture I give.
Do you remember where it says who knows the time of the coming of Jesus Christ? Hm? Who knows? Humans? No. Angels? No. Demons? No. God? Yes. Jesus? NO. Jesus doesn't know. If he is EXACTLY God his father, how come Jesus doesn't know?

Mark 13:32 But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
they shall look upon Me whom they have pierced
(Zechariah 12:10)

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
If he is EXACTLY God his father, how come Jesus doesn't know?
does the omniscient God know the name written on Him in Revelation 19:12 ?

;)

look up: 12-step Hebrew marriage ceremony

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
I didn't say what I believed. I didn't say if I even would choose other or not.
it's not about what you believe the answer to your poll question is, for me. yes; you haven't said.
however you did say you believe God turned His back on Himself:

you said why you believe it, too. because He sang Psalm 22. i getcha, but whatever you consider the 'correct' poll answer to be is immaterial to my reply, because . .

suppose A is a false statement.
your poll is, "
why is A true?"
my answer is:

• other
    • A is not true

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
so if Jesus doubts He sins, because He is in unbelief, and unbelief is sin ((John 16:9, Romans 14:23, etc))

i believe we should discard any view of the crucifixion, of His prayer at Gethsemane, or any other event that has Him ever in a state of doubt. He is perfect in His humanity and perfect in His deity, at all times

Apr 15, 2017

Jesus is God manifest in the flesh, God and man in harmony.

Jesus told the Pharisees before Abraham was, I am, to identify that He is God in a visible manifestation among them, and told Mary go to My brethren and tell them I ascend to My Father, and your Father, and My God, and your God, who is the man Christ Jesus speaking here for God is the God, and Father, of the man Christ Jesus.

A person separated from God, and feels that is not a pleasant feeling when they are eternally separated from God, for they will be empty, and cold, which it was their sins that separated them from God, and they died in their sins.

Jesus said that the disciples shall flee from Him, but the Father will never leave Him.

The Father did not turn His back on Jesus for He is always sinless and that cannot change.

I believe it was a feeling that the man Christ Jesus had when the sins of the world were placed on Him, for the sins had to be placed on Him before He died, and He felt what it was like to be separated from God for a short while, but the Father never left Him but it was only a feeling, and Jesus knew the Father never turned His back for He said, Father in to your hands I commend My spirit, and then He died, and laid down those sins.

I believe it was a feeling the man Christ Jesus had, but the Father never turned His back on Him, for Jesus is sinless at all times, and Jesus said the Father will never leave Him, which He would never turn His back on His Son.

Jesus did not become sinful because the sins of the world were placed on Him, so the Father would not turn His back on Him.

glf1

Jun 10, 2018
Hey! : )
The curse of the law isn't a physical death; its the death that comes to those, whose names are not written in the Lamb's book of life; based upon their works or upon the transgression of the letter of the law. Its true that Jesus never sinned and of himself is holy, but when by the greatest miracle in all of eternity; our sins were put on Jesus and he paid our debt in full. God's law in like the Lord infinite and an infinite atonement is required to pay an infinite debt. Man being finite cannot suffer infinitely, so he must suffer for eternity. Jesus being infinite of himself as the one who holds all things together by the word of his power, was able to atone infinitely; meeting the legal requirement of God's holy law.
Jesus cried out, "My God. My God. Why hast thou forsaken me," a thing that would only happen if the Father and the Holy Spirit beheld the sin put upon Jesus and turned away as he does with all who are sinful. Even then, it would be like tearing the flesh off of a finger while leaving the blood and the bone; or like taking the body while leaving the soul and the spirit.
There's no way that Jesus would have sweat blood at the duress he felt at just dying physically. He is the creator of heaven and earth, beholding all who have lived and died as one who was right there with them all the while. When the soldier stabbed Jesus in the side, we know nowadays that when a heart ruptures the pericardium, a membrane enclosing the heart fills with a bloody plasma and while blood cells; making it look like water and blood flowed from the wound: which tells us that Jesus' body could not endure the torment he felt at having our sin on him and from being cut off from the Lord; which is the curse of the law. rather than a mere physical death which is the only death that the faithful will ever have to suffer. Which shows us that a physical death isn't due to the curse of the law, since we're not delivered from it as those who have been redeemed from the curse of the law have been if that were so.
Maranatha!

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
Sin separates. God can not be at one with sin and Jesus was carrying our sin when He died. Jesus became sin and took the shame of it upon himself. Would we be able to stand before God with our sin? No.
Mar 15:33 And when the sixth hour was come, there was darkness over the whole land until the ninth hour.
Mar 15:34 And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani? which is, being interpreted, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

The guilt of every descendent of Adam was pressing upon Jesus' heart. Jesus was one with the father until the wrath of God against sin filled Jesus with guilt and consternation. The separation from His father that Jesus had to experience must have been agonising. i don't think we will ever comprehend the weight that Jesus carried, This is what killed Jesus and made the cup so bitter.
Jesus became guilty for us. He was forsaken by His father so that we can be accepted by the Father.