Why did JESUS say all manner of sin and >--blasphemy<-- will be forgiven but blasphemy of the HOLY SPIRIT will not be forgiven?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 30, 2020
Everything in existance in time is of God who IS His Holy Spirit. The Son of man is filled with the Father's Spirit, but IS NOT the Father's Spirit. The host can be blasphemed but what is in the host is God Himself ( His Holy Spirit) and that cannot be forgiven.

LoveBrokeThru

Mar 17, 2022
There are 2 types of Blas = Holy Spirit.

1). Blasphemy OF

2.) Blasphemy Against

"Against", is specifically talking to the Jews, who were telling Jesus to His FACE, that He was doing His miracles by the power of the Devil.
See that?
You can't do that, unless you go back in time, 2000 yrs, find Jesus healing someone, and say to Him....>"you are doing that by the power of Satan".

So.

Blasphemy OF, the Holy Spirit.
Thats 2 things.

1.) To BLOCK someone from being saved. To try to interfere with the work of God, in a person's Salvation.
This can be one on one, or it can be, to be a person who is trying to prove "there is no God".. "Jesus is a Myth".
IN both cases, that is a person trying to PREVENT others from being Saved.

2.) All unbelievers, are committing the unpardonable sin. This is the sin of Christ Rejection, and its this.... John 3:36

C

ChristianTonyB

My take on the Lord’s statement is that He seemed to be saying that anyone that slanders or mocks the activities of the Holy Spirit has reached a depth of depravity that will consume them. There will be no escape for them, no gift of faith will be offered out to them, or alternatively, whatever faith they had will be removed from them.

Dec 9, 2011
My take on the Lord’s statement is that He seemed to be saying that anyone that slanders or mocks the activities of the Holy Spirit has reached a depth of depravity that will consume them. There will be no escape for them, no gift of faith will be offered out to them, or alternatively, whatever faith they had will be removed from them.
What If a person sees their mother or father murdered and gets angry at GOD thinking that GOD allowed this to happen and curses GOD but later decides that they are not mad at GOD anymore and repents,Is that person no longer pardonable?

C

ChristianTonyB

What If a person sees their mother or father murdered and gets angry at GOD thinking that GOD allowed this to happen and curses GOD but later decides that they are not mad at GOD anymore and repents,Is that person no longer pardonable?
According to Jesus that person is pardonable. I'll accept His word.

The Holy Spirit's healings of the sick, and the casting out of demons etc, and other miracles at the hands and words of Jesus, were being vilified as demonic by the pharisees and their followers. Jesus indicated that type of sinful behaviour was unpardonable.

Dec 30, 2020
This is a great question; one that has always caused me to wonder myself.

One thing is sure, which is that to sin against Christ has unique consequences, as He died for our sins (which includes those who killed Him).

Acts 22:7-8 NLT - "I fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to me, 'Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?' "'Who are you, lord?' I asked. "And the voice replied, 'I am Jesus the Nazarene, the one you are persecuting."

We can persecute Christ, yet later be taught by Him face to face, as was the case with Paul.

The Holy Spirit did not die for our sins. And unfortunately, that's all I have to offer on the topic. This is a great question.
Everything in existance in time is of God who IS His Holy Spirit. The Son of man is filled with the Father's Spirit, but IS NOT the Father's Spirit. The host can be blasphemed but what is in the host is God Himself ( His Holy Spirit) and that cannot be forgiven.

presidente

May 29, 2013
Not only can a christian commit the unpardonable sin it is only a christian who is able to commit the unpardonable sin.
That doesn't make sense. The Pharisees that Jesus spoke to apparently weren't Christians. Does it really make sense to you that it is impossible that an unbeliever could say some evil thing about the Holy Spirit?

Luke 21:18. But there shall not an hair of your head perish.19In your patience possess ye your souls.

That is the promise IF we allow the Holy Spirit to speak through us we will save our soul and death(Satan) can not take our lives(Spiritual, eternal live) God will not allow Satan to kill our physica body either. Mot a hair on your head will parish.

If we commit that unpardonable sin and open our mouths and we starting talking our words and not those of the Holy Spirit we have denied Him.
1. Speaking your own words and denying the Holy Spirit are not the same thing.
2. The unpardonable sin is blaspheming the Holy Spirit not 'denying' the Holy Spirit.

Your argument doesn't make much sense to me. It also does not relate to the situation Christ was addressing in Matthew 12, where His opponents falsely accused the Spirit by which He case out devils of being Beelzebub.

presidente

May 29, 2013
The Devil is a serpent. All living creatures had the Breath of Life, which is the spirit. The Devil what he did is he tore the spirit into the Three Lies. It is the original sin, this is reinforced by other scriptures where Jesus calls him the father of lies, where John says that the Devil has been sinning from the beginning, and so forth.

Of course Adam, and by extension man, can have forgiveness because they transgressed but not out of pure spite or defiance, but have some degrees of innocence because the whole thing was set into motion by the Devil. The Devil has zero chance of forgiveness for this action though, absolutely no hope for the serpent, cursed above all cattle is he.
Do you have any evidence that the Devil said anything bad about the Holy Spirit?

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021

This sounds like a great perspective. Thank you. :)

"Everything in existance in time is of God"

If you have Scripture that says this, I'd love to see it. I'll add it to my collection of verses that defies the concept of "free will."

Thanks!

Jan 12, 2022
Do you have any evidence that the Devil said anything bad about the Holy Spirit?
The serpent in the Garden rent the breath of life by making the Three Lies which we know are the demons. This is why Jesus immediately starts talking about Satan in connection to demons and the spiritual warfare of the two kingdoms and the connections of it all to the blasphemy of the holy Spirit when the jews accuse him of casting out demons by the power of a pagan idol that they remixed in their doctrines into being a demon.

presidente

May 29, 2013
The serpent in the Garden rent the breath of life by making the Three Lies which we know are the demons.
Demons are intelligent conscious entities-- spirits. Who 'knows' that the three lies are demons? Who believes that, besides yourself?

This is why Jesus immediately starts talking about Satan in connection to demons and the spiritual warfare of the two kingdoms and the connections of it all to the blasphemy of the holy Spirit when the jews accuse him of casting out demons by the power of a pagan idol that they remixed in their doctrines into being a demon.
Accusing the Holy Spirit of being an unclean spirit is a bad thing. Blaspheming the Spirit has to do with speaking against the Spirit.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
We are saved by Grace through Faith.

Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit directly contradicts that Faith. It makes a person double-minded and lacking of faith in God. So that no matter what the Holy Spirit did the person could attribute those acts as not from God but the evil one.

It is the Holy Spirit that convicts a person and gives knowledge and Revelation of Christ. If you think its all a trick of the enemy then you don't get any of Christs Blessings.

James 1:5-7
5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.
7 For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.

Dec 9, 2011
Leviticus 24:11-16
The son of the Israelite woman blasphemed the Name and cursed. So they brought him to Moses. (Now his mother’s name was Shelomith, the daughter of Dibri, of the tribe of Dan.) They put him in custody so that the command of the Lord might be made clear to them. Then the Lord spoke to Moses, saying,read more.
“Bring the one who has cursed outside the camp, and let all who heard him lay their hands on his head; then let all the congregation stone him. You shall speak to the sons of Israel, saying, ‘If anyone curses his God, then he will bear his sin. Moreover, the one who blasphemes the name of the Lord shall surely be put to death; all the congregation shall certainly stone him. The alien as well as the native, when he blasphemes the Name, shall be put to death.

1 Timothy 1:12-16 And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry;
Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief.
And the grace of our Lord was exceeding abundant with faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.
This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him
Are you saying that blasphemy before coming to CHRIST Is forgivable?
What do the scriptures say? How do you see it? Ive said nothing.
IMO when Paul said that he Was a blasphemer he was talking about blaspheming GOD under the law which was In words like[IE] a person saying something negative about GOD out of Ignorance but hasn't rejected GOD from the heart.

Under law when they said something blasphemous against GOD It was In word like some people say that word a lot today but after a person has been filled with GOD under the New Covenant blasphemy would be from the heart and not like they did It under the Old Covenant and some believe that It would have to be a Christian to blaspheme from the heart but I'm one of those OSAS believers and IMO I don't think that that would happen,I could be wrong.

So then can an atheist commit the blasphemy from the heart,IDK I guess If they reject GOD to the point of not having ANY more conviction I would think that Is the unforgivable sin.IDK

C

ChristianTonyB

According to Jesus that person is pardonable. I'll accept His word.

The Holy Spirit's healings of the sick, and the casting out of demons etc, and other miracles at the hands and words of Jesus, were being vilified as demonic by the pharisees and their followers. Jesus indicated that type of sinful behaviour was unpardonable.
@seed_time_harvest why are you indifferent to this. Are you saying that the context within which Jesus made His statement is irrelevant?

C

ChristianTonyB

I thought you were copping out and giving scripture without Interpreting what was said so I was Indifferent to your response but It's ok.
No problems. If you had felt I got the context wrong, I'm happy to listen to your opinion.

Jan 12, 2022
Demons are intelligent conscious entities-- spirits. Who 'knows' that the three lies are demons? Who believes that, besides yourself?

Accusing the Holy Spirit of being an unclean spirit is a bad thing. Blaspheming the Spirit has to do with speaking against the Spirit.
Spirit means breath.

Besides the account of Genesis 3 showing the woman becoming the first ever case of possession, we also know the Three Lies are the demons from Revelation 16.

presidente

May 29, 2013
What does that have to do with the points either of us made?

Besides the account of Genesis 3 showing the woman becoming the first ever case of possession,
Possessed by Whom? The earth is the LORD's and the fulness thereof. Her desire would always be for her husband. Where is she 'possessed' by someone in the passage? What evidence is there that she was demonized? She was deceived.

we also know the Three Lies are the demons from Revelation 16.
Who is the 'we' that 'knows' this. Why should I or anyone else believe this? Do you know of any other Christian in history who believed or taught that idea?

If someone makes up a lie, do you think they are creating a demon spirit ex nihilo? Do you think the serpent created demons?

Jun 12, 2021
IMO when Paul said that he Was a blasphemer he was talking about blaspheming GOD under the law which was In words like[IE] a person saying something negative about GOD out of Ignorance but hasn't rejected GOD from the heart.

Under law when they said something blasphemous against GOD It was In word like some people say that word a lot today but after a person has been filled with GOD under the New Covenant blasphemy would be from the heart and not like they did It under the Old Covenant and some believe that It would have to be a Christian to blaspheme from the heart but I'm one of those OSAS believers and IMO I don't think that that would happen,I could be wrong.

So then can an atheist commit the blasphemy from the heart,IDK I guess If they reject GOD to the point of not having ANY more conviction I would think that Is the unforgivable sin.IDK
Only the goats/nonelects can commit the unforgivable sin.