Why did JESUS say all manner of sin and >--blasphemy<-- will be forgiven but blasphemy of the HOLY SPIRIT will not be forgiven?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jul 11, 2020
Well let's start where you are right, that the Devil's Three Lies all imply that God lied. None of it is mixed with any truth however, All the three sentences, even the First Lie which is a crooked question are all lies, there is no truth in them. See though here in your mistaking of them for being mingled with truth to be the poison of it all, it is the twisting of the Spirit of Truth, and why it is so blasphemous this action the Devil did here. The First Lie is the crooked question with the Devil asking crookedly "Yea, has not God said ye will eat of tree of the Garden?" This is a coy lie for the First Lie of all time for God never did say that, and in fact God had commanded outright they were not to eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, as the woman correctly replies. See though the subtlety, now he has called her attention to the tree forbidden, cast doubt on what God has said, and set her up for the next two Lies. After she responds correctly with the truth that God said they would die, Satan tells her the Second Lie an outright lie against God saying "ye shall surely not die." So here he has just told her to opposite of what is true and also basically said God is wrong. He then backs this up with the Third Lie saying that "For God knows that in the day you eat it your eyes will be open and you will be like God." This then does several things, for one it casts God to be the liar and the enemy and puts the woman at variance with God, it also now makes the fruit that God forbid seem desirable now, and it also creates in the woman the idea that she could replace God, essentially making her into her own idol. Taken all together the Three Lies totally overrun woman's mind and she believes the Lies, and they're all Lies, and she eats, and even after eating, gives to her the man, the real target the Devil was trying to kill because he is the image of God, but the cowardly serpent couldn't attack him directly.
I disagree with you for the following reasons

1 a lie is an untrue statement. For a lie to stand as a lie, it must be a declaration, a statement. A question is not a statement but a non declarative. A question can be misleading but cannot be lie. Yes, the question Satan asked was misleading but cannot be construed as a lie. What you call your number one lie is a misleading question in my opinion.

2. Let's once again analyze what you call your third lie. You know Satan is very clever. If you look at his statement, he only picked one aspect or quality of God when he told Eve "For God knows you will be like God knowing good and evil. That is, the aspect of knowing good and evil. He qualified his statement. Were their eyes opened when they ate the forbidden fruit. Yes. Did they end up knowing good and evil? Yes. Did God know before hand the fact that their eyes would be opened and they would have knowledge of good and evil? of course yes. if all these are true, where is the lie?

3. The only lie there, is your second lie. Why is it so.? He told them they would not surely die the day they eat of the forbidden tree. Did this stand true? No. because they died as God told them. Satan categorically made a statement of lie which is your second lie.

4. The lie of the devil had no effect on the fruit of the tree and could not have made it more desirable in any way. It only had effect on Eve's imagination and thought.

Satan is Satan and his nature is to deceive and he uses all tricks in his amour to achieve this. Therefore, the scripture warns us to be wary of the wiles of the devil.

Jan 12, 2022
I disagree with you for the following reasons

1 a lie is an untrue statement. For a lie to stand as a lie, it must be a declaration, a statement. A question is not a statement but a non declarative. A question can be misleading but cannot be lie. Yes, the question Satan asked was misleading but cannot be construed as a lie. What you call your number one lie is a misleading question in my opinion.

2. Let's once again analyze what you call your third lie. You know Satan is very clever. If you look at his statement, he only picked one aspect or quality of God when he told Eve "For God knows you will be like God knowing good and evil. That is, the aspect of knowing good and evil. He qualified his statement. Were their eyes opened when they ate the forbidden fruit. Yes. Did they end up knowing good and evil? Yes. Did God know before hand the fact that their eyes would be opened and they would have knowledge of good and evil? of course yes. if all these are true, where is the lie?

3. The only lie there, is your second lie. Why is it so.? He told them they would not surely die the day they eat of the forbidden tree. Did this stand true? No. because they died as God told them. Satan categorically made a statement of lie which is your second lie.

4. The lie of the devil had no effect on the fruit of the tree and could not have made it more desirable in any way. It only had effect on Eve's imagination and thought.

Satan is Satan and his nature is to deceive and he uses all tricks in his amour to achieve this. Therefore, the scripture warns us to be wary of the wiles of the devil.
1. It is a misleading question, and that's what makes it a lie. Satan always lies, it's the number one lie by reason that it is the first lie, not the most impactful, though still at the same time don't let its subtlety go unnoticed either for that is the Lie that then sets up the other Lies and is the Lie that calls the woman's attention to the tree forbidden.

2. Remember these are not my lies, I did not tell them, Satan told them, and he is a liar which is why he got the name Devil. Did they become like God like Satan falsely promised? Did God hold back something good from them and was God really their real enemy like this Lie of Satan makes him to be? No, Satan is the Liar and this is why it is the Third Lie.

3. The blunt lie, obviously even you can see how it is a lie. Yet Take note the woman doesn't answer after he spouts this to counter her correct response to his crooked question which had been the First Lie, so she is at this point after the casting of the Second Lie, listening to him when he drives home the Third Lie.

4. Exactly, and that's how the serpent possessed her, by the Three Lies, and they are the Original Sin and he can also never be forgiven for it.

Jul 11, 2020
1. It is a misleading question, and that's what makes it a lie. Satan always lies, it's the number one lie by reason that it is the first lie, not the most impactful, though still at the same time don't let its subtlety go unnoticed either for that is the Lie that then sets up the other Lies and is the Lie that calls the woman's attention to the tree forbidden.

2. Remember these are not my lies, I did not tell them, Satan told them, and he is a liar which is why he got the name Devil. Did they become like God like Satan falsely promised? Did God hold back something good from them and was God really their real enemy like this Lie of Satan makes him to be? No, Satan is the Liar and this is why it is the Third Lie.

3. The blunt lie, obviously even you can see how it is a lie. Yet Take note the woman doesn't answer after he spouts this to counter her correct response to his crooked question which had been the First Lie, so she is at this point after the casting of the Second Lie, listening to him when he drives home the Third Lie.

4. Exactly, and that's how the serpent possessed her, by the Three Lies, and they are the Original Sin and he can also never be forgiven for it.
oh! of course you did not tell the lie but the devil did.

Eve was not really possessed the way you are alluding. I can see some people have pointed that out. One can do the bidding of the devil without being possessed by him.

Jan 12, 2022
oh! of course you did not tell the lie but the devil did.

Eve was not really possessed the way you are alluding. I can see some people have pointed that out. One can do the bidding of the devil without being possessed by him.
No, they can't. Everyone has to do the will of their master.

Dec 9, 2011
IMO No one can blasphemy against the HOLY SPIRIT unless they have blasphemed against HIM In their heart which IMO that means that that person no longer feels ANY guilt or there conscience no longer feels ANY guilt,no conviction whereas blasphemy against JESUS could be forgiven (IMO JESUS was relating to the man side/flesh mind) because blasphemy In word Is not the same as blasphemy at the heart felt level and the person Still feels sorry about something they did.

IE
Someone gets mad at GOD about something but later he/she feels sorry about It and repents,that will be forgiven whereas an atheist might not be angry but they don't feel convicted about anything to do with GOD and have decided that they are not going to believe In GOD and that IMO would be blasphemy against the HOLY SPIRIT not feeling ANY conviction or guilt about anything related to GOD which would be at the heart level

so really THEY have made the choice so IMO No one can blaspheme the HOLY SPIRIT without first blaspheming at the heart level meaning they really don't care.

Once a person Is like that why would they come to GOD?

presidente

May 29, 2013
IMO No one can blasphemy against the HOLY SPIRIT unless they have blasphemed against HIM In their heart which IMO that means that that person no longer feels ANY guilt or there conscience no longer feels ANY guilt,no conviction whereas blasphemy against JESUS could be forgiven (IMO JESUS was relating to the man side/flesh mind) because blasphemy In word Is not the same as blasphemy at the heart felt level and the person Still feels sorry about something they did.
Where does the Bible say that blaspheming (vilifying, speaking evil of) is only blasphemy if it is blasphemy in the heart or that one who does such a thing will feel no guilt or have no conscience. Judas is described as the 'son of perdition', when Jesus said that none of them is lost but the son of perdition, yet what he did to Christ must have troubled him somehow because he committed suicide. (I am not saying that is blasphemy, but notice it is implied that he was lost and we can also infer that what he had done troubled him.)

]IE
Someone gets mad at GOD about something but later he/she feels sorry about It and repents,that will be forgiven whereas an atheist might not be angry but they don't feel convicted about anything to do with GOD and have decided that they are not going to believe In GOD and that IMO would be blasphemy against the HOLY SPIRIT not feeling ANY conviction or guilt about anything related to GOD which would be at the heart level
That doesn't make any sense at all. Deciding in one's heart that one will not believe in God is not said to be an unforgiveable sin in the Bible. If you ask around, you might find some Christians who were former atheists who had had such attitudes in the past. Would you say that they are not forgiven?

Your comment also ignores what the word 'blasphemy', and the Greek word form which it is derived, actually mean.

Dec 9, 2011
Where does the Bible say that blaspheming (vilifying, speaking evil of) is only blasphemy if it is blasphemy in the heart or that one who does such a thing will feel no guilt or have no conscience. Judas is described as the 'son of perdition', when Jesus said that none of them is lost but the son of perdition, yet what he did to Christ must have troubled him somehow because he committed suicide. (I am not saying that is blasphemy, but notice it is implied that he was lost and we can also infer that what he had done troubled him.)
Just my opinion,I could be wrong.
I see what you mean by Judas was lost but he DID feel sorry about his betrayal,so I probably got It wrong after thinking about that.

I was wondering what you might think,Do you believe that only a Christian can blasphemy the HOLY SPIRIT?🤗

presidente

May 29, 2013
I was wondering what you might think,Do you believe that only a Christian can blasphemy the HOLY SPIRIT?🤗
No, I don't think so. If it weren't possible for Jesus' opponents in this passage to blaspheme the Holy Spirit... and they weren't Christians.... why would He have addressed these words to them? I wouldn't want to be handcuffed to them on the day of judgment.

Not that I believe we'll be handcuffed on the day of judgment.

Dec 9, 2011
No, I don't think so. If it weren't possible for Jesus' opponents in this passage to blaspheme the Holy Spirit... and they weren't Christians.... why would He have addressed these words to them? I wouldn't want to be handcuffed to them on the day of judgment.

Not that I believe we'll be handcuffed on the day of judgment.
The reason I asked was because JESUS said that all manner of sin and blasphemy would be forgiven but blasphemy against the HOLY SPIRIT would not be forgiven.

Dec 9, 2011
I do not think I follow your reasoning.
I was asking because JESUS said that all manner of sin and blasphemy would be forgiven but blasphemy against the HOLY SPIRIT would not be forgiven.

I was looking at the scripture In

Hebrews 6:4-6
KJV

4For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,

5And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,

6If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.
+++
It seems to me that this Is talking about a Christian.

presidente

May 29, 2013
I was asking because JESUS said that all manner of sin and blasphemy would be forgiven but blasphemy against the HOLY SPIRIT would not be forgiven.

I was looking at the scripture In

Hebrews 6:4-6
KJV

4For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,

5And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,

6If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.
+++
It seems to me that this Is talking about a Christian.
But it does not mention speaking against the Holy Spirit.

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
Re: Matthew 12:24-33

The Pharisees in that passage accused Jesus of colluding with the Devil--
viz: practicing sorcery --which is curious because one of their own admitted
to Jesus that they knew his miraculous powers were God-given. (John 3:1-2)

The Pharisees were all Bible-trained Jews so they were fully aware that
God's Spirit was the means by which He empowered folks in the Old
Testament; so they had to know that their remark would be taken by the
Spirit as a personal insult.

In my estimation; that was a lunatic thing to do, and to be honest; it's
difficult for me to understand how the religious elite of that day could
sink so low in their animosity.
_