Why did Jesus weep? (An actual question)

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
I, as so many have understood it, believed he wept joining in the grief of those that mourned the death of Lazarus. But after having just read the paragraph again it didn't actually come across that way this time. It almost gave me the impression he was upset with the mourners. It states he became angry first, then wept. And the way its written suggested, to me, this response was disconnected from their grief.
Perhaps I'm simply interpreting it wrong somehow. Can someone explain how his tears are seen as joining inntheor grief and not mourning their own?
Please keep answers relatively shorter. Long, drawn out answers will give too much information to process at once.
Also throwing in tons of other scriptures or deep dives into language interpretations won't do much for me. I'm willing to see the connection and just need it plainly and concisely pointed out.
Thanks.

Sep 24, 2012
Where did Jesus get angry (I'm reading the KJV)? He might have been weeping because of everything.

notmyown

May 26, 2016
I, as so many have understood it, believed he wept joining in the grief of those that mourned the death of Lazarus. But after having just read the paragraph again it didn't actually come across that way this time. It almost gave me the impression he was upset with the mourners. It states he became angry first, then wept. And the way its written suggested, to me, this response was disconnected from their grief.
Perhaps I'm simply interpreting it wrong somehow. Can someone explain how his tears are seen as joining inntheor grief and not mourning their own?
Please keep answers relatively shorter. Long, drawn out answers will give too much information to process at once.
Also throwing in tons of other scriptures or deep dives into language interpretations won't do much for me. I'm willing to see the connection and just need it plainly and concisely pointed out.
Thanks.
i find this one difficult, too, Sub. you're right, one of the Greek words means to become angry.

i did hear a pastor speculate our Lord may have been indignant with the fact of death, itself. there's no consensus of opinion i've been able to see. i think Christ was also feeling real human grief, thus His tears.

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
I believe He was angry at the whole human condition, and the fact that we got in this mess resulting in the entire creation groaning, that results in the physical death of everything and everybody, including loved ones.

I believe He was crying for similar reasons, and also in complete empathy that those He loves that are in such awful pain.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
Thanks.
Jesus is God

God may be immutable (doesn't change)
BUT
God is a person who has emotions and is emotional.
We are made in God's image...that's where our emotions come from. We didn't make God in our image...just the opposite.

Tall_Timbers

Mar 31, 2023
Cheyenne WY
christiancommunityforum.com
I've considered that Jesus wept because of the deep, deep emotions that Martha and Mary were experiencing related to Lazarus's death. He knew them personally and loved them. I feel certain he wasn't weeping because Lazarus had died since Jesus knew Lazarus was in a better place and had finished his race.

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
The whole 11th Chapter of John illustrated the unbelief that surrounded Jesus. His disciples questioned His judgment about going back to Judea and Didymus summarized their consensus saying, "Let us also go, so that we may die with Him" but Jesus asked them (allow my paraphrasing0, "Can't you see? Do you think I'm blind? Don't you believe that I am the light? "Then Martha meets Him and mistakes His words of comfort as a consolation in the reminder of the last day resurrection and Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection...Do(n't) you believe this?"

Martha answers Him, "Yes, Lord, I believe you are the Christ, the Son of God..." agreeing with what she had said earlier, "But even now I know that God will give You whatever You ask of Him" although her faith in that statement is brought into question when she mistook Jesus' word for a consolation "Your brother will rise again," rather than receiving it with joy.

Then when Mary comes to meet Him, she confirms her consensus criticism of His (lack of care? there is another account where He is asked, "don't you care?') with Martha, "if you had been here, my brother would not have died." I might be wrong in interpreting the sister's sentiment, and it might have been more of an illustration of their grasp on the range of Jesus influence, i.e. he had to be present to be of any use to the situation...

Anyway, at this time Jesus notes her and everyone that had come with her's weeping and "...was deeply moved in spirit and troubled." And asked, "Where have you put him?" and when they answered, "come and see, Lord." Jesus wept.

Why didn't they answer, "Lord, we know that You know all things, why do you ask "where...?"
It is my opinion that Jesus could see their lip service toward Him but found Himself entirely alone in spirit.

And some of them confirmed this questioning his legitimacy, "Could not his man who opened the eyes of the blind also have kept Lazarus from dying?"

Imagine, even those you love (most), and those who profess that love reciprocated, such as mom, if they were to answer in like manner after you come to them in all innocence and declare, "look mom, I did good huh?"

And...I hope this not too in adequately short and concise. :unsure:

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
Within the context of the women weeping over Jesus at the cross, He said, "Do not weep for Me, but weep for yourselves and for you children." I think this might correlate with who Jesus wept for, just to clarify that He was not weeping for Himself in the verse in question.

Blade

Nov 19, 2019
Thanks.
If you don't mind me saying this. Ask Him. Well one of the greatest things He showed once was when I just asked Him "why was she crying". So ask Him...unless this is just to see what others think in that case.. forget this lol

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Thanks.
Consider that thier lack of faith in him troubled him . Not hearing what hed been preaching remember he’s been teaching them

“Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself; and hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man.

Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, and shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.”
‭‭John‬ ‭5:24, 26-29‬ ‭KJV‬‬

One thing he said in the middle there

“Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming,

and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.”
‭‭John‬ ‭5:25‬ ‭

now look at what he’s telling them

So this happens and Jesus speaks on it

“Now a certain man was sick, named Lazarus, of Bethany, the town of Mary and her sister Martha. (It was that Mary which anointed the Lord with ointment, and wiped his feet with her hair, whose brother Lazarus was sick.) Therefore his sisters sent unto him, saying, Lord, behold, he whom thou lovest is sick. When Jesus heard that, he said, This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God might be glorified thereby. Now Jesus loved Martha, and her sister, and Lazarus.”
‭‭John‬ ‭11:1-5‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Then this

“When he had heard therefore that he was sick, he abode two days still in the same place where he was. ( they sent for help but Jesus is just hanging out where he was )

Then after that saith he to his disciples, Let us go into Judæa again. His disciples say unto him, Master, the Jews of late sought to stone thee; and goest thou thither again?

…These things said he: and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep.

Then said his disciples, Lord, if he sleep, he shall do well. Howbeit Jesus spake of his death: but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep. Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead. And I am glad for your sakes that I was not there, to the intent ye may believe; nevertheless let us go unto him.

( Jesus knows he’s died already but it seems like he’s still telling them to believe because he’s going to wake him up )

Then said Thomas, ( “ doubting “Thomas ) which is called Didymus, unto his fellowdisciples, Let us also go, that we may die with him. Then when Jesus came, he found that he had lain in the grave four days already.”
‭‭John‬ ‭11:6-8, 11-

“and many of the Jews came to Martha and Mary, to comfort them concerning their brother. Then Martha, as soon as she heard that Jesus was coming, went and met him: but Mary sat still in the house. Then said Martha unto Jesus, Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died. But I know, that even now, whatsoever thou wilt ask of God, God will give it thee. Jesus saith unto her, Thy brother shall rise again. Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day. Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: and whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this? She saith unto him, Yea, Lord: I believe that thou art the Christ, the Son of God, which should come into the world. And when she had so said, she went her way, and called Mary her sister secretly, saying, The Master is come, and calleth for thee. As soon as she heard that, she arose quickly, and came unto him. Now Jesus was not yet come into the town, but was in that place where Martha met him. The Jews then which were with her in the house, and comforted her, when they saw Mary, that she rose up hastily and went out, followed her, saying, She goeth unto the grave to weep there. Then when Mary was come where Jesus was, and saw him, she fell down at his feet, saying unto him, Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died. When Jesus therefore saw her weeping, and the Jews also weeping which came with her, he groaned in the spirit, and was troubled, and said, Where have ye laid him? They said unto him, Lord, come and see. Jesus wept. Then said the Jews, Behold how he loved him! And some of them said, Could not this man, which opened the eyes of the blind, have caused that even this man should not have died? Jesus therefore again groaning in himself cometh to the grave. It was a cave, and a stone lay upon it. Jesus said, Take ye away the stone. Martha, the sister of him that was dead, saith unto him, Lord, by this time he stinketh: for he hath been dead four days. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God? Then they took away the stone from the place where the dead was laid. And Jesus lifted up his eyes, and said, Father, I thank thee that thou hast heard me. And when he thus had spoken, he cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come forth. And he that was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with graveclothes: and his face was bound about with a napkin. Jesus saith unto them, Loose him, and let him go. Then many of the Jews which came to Mary, and had seen the things which Jesus did, believed on him. But some of them went their ways to the Pharisees, and told them what things Jesus had done.”
‭‭John‬ ‭11:19-41, 43-46‬ ‭KJV‬‬

It seems the unbelief of what he’s been telling them the whole time is frustrating jesus no one is declaring to the others “ he’s going to wake him up just watch “ but that’s what he’s been saying all along that he had power over life and death and was able to raise up even the dead to life but no o e seemed to really her him or believe

“Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: and whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?”
‭‭John‬ ‭11:25-26‬ ‭KJV‬‬

She believed in the last resurrection of the dead but did she really believe Jesus was himself the resurrection and would raise up her brother a few minutes later by his own word ?

my theory is that God has been grieving since the beginning that mankind co tiny ally ignores what he’s telling us is life and blessing and faith and truth

and we then invent ot listen to inventions of others that tell us the opposite is true and right and isn’t death like he said isnt cursing like he said

Jesus was preaching to them a long time about who he was and what he could do and would do for those who believed in him . Then he repeatedly did it in tbier sight so they had reasons to believe the rest of what he was saying. But still they weren’t understanding what he was really telling them

Just an opinion , one of many , nothing more but I would say Jesus perceives a great lack of faith in that situation Martha expressed it it seems slightly but then everyone’s just accepted that Lazarus is done for no one is rejoicing that the lord arrived to raise him up for Gods glory like he had been preaching to them in his doctrine

If man would let Gods word be true before we see it actually come to pass before we have tangible proof there’s faith and we can know what he’s going to certainly do

had they really been herring Jesus doctrine some would have been rejoicing and silencing the mourners telling by hen remember the fish ? Remember the healed lepers Jesus touched ? Remember the blind he made see ? The lame he healed ? The shriveled limbs he restored ?

Remember the peace he gave to the insane and violent men possessed by devils ? And remember what he’s been telling us about his ability to raise the dead up from the grave and give then life ? Just wait and watch trust the lords word ….

lack of faith seems to be part of it to me but also could just be fellowship in man’s grief and sorrow sharing in that part of our experience on earth the sorrow of a lived on parting ect but it does t seem like Jesus was ever in doubt he told them he was dead and he was going to wake him up so it’s more likely that he’s troubled because no one’s hearing and believing his doctrine

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
Last public miracle before the ressurection. This one was fairly obvious because Lazarus was well known and liked.
It couldn't be faked, excused away, passed off as something unexplainable. Lazarus was dead for three days and his corpse stunk from rotting.

In fact he had to go into hiding because the Pharisees wanted to kill him after Jesus raised himself from the dead.

Meaning that Jesus's time on Earth was at an end.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Consider that thier lack of faith in him troubled him . Not hearing what hed been preaching remember he’s been teaching them

“Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself; and hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man.

Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, and shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.”
‭‭John‬ ‭5:24, 26-29‬ ‭KJV‬‬

One thing he said in the middle there

“Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming,

and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.”
‭‭John‬ ‭5:25‬ ‭

John 5:24-25
:)

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020

“And when he thus had spoken, he cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come forth.

And he that was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with graveclothes: and his face was bound about with a napkin. Jesus saith unto them, Loose him, and let him go.”
‭‭John‬ ‭11:43-44‬ ‭

But that’s just who he is and what he does

“While he yet spake, there came from the ruler of the synagogue's house certain which said, Thy daughter is dead: why troublest thou the Master any further? As soon as Jesus heard the word that was spoken, he saith unto the ruler of the synagogue, Be not afraid, only believe.

And he suffered no man to follow him, save Peter, and James, and John the brother of James. And he cometh to the house of the ruler of the synagogue, and seeth the tumult, and them that wept and wailed greatly.

And when he was come in, he saith unto them, Why make ye this ado, and weep? the damsel is not dead, but sleepeth.

And they laughed him to scorn. But when he had put them all out, he taketh the father and the mother of the damsel, and them that were with him, and entereth in where the damsel was lying.

And he took the damsel by the hand, and said unto her, Talitha cumi; which is, being interpreted, Damsel, I say unto thee, arise. And straightway the damsel arose, and walked; for she was of the age of twelve years. And they were astonished with a great astonishment.”
‭‭Mark‬ ‭5:35-42‬ ‭

It’s The creation responding to its creators word same as this

“And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still.

And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm.

And he said unto them, Why are ye so fearful? how is it that ye have no faith? And they feared exceedingly, and said one to another, What manner of man is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?”
‭‭Mark‬ ‭4:39-41‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.”
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭1:3‬ ‭KJV‬‬

It is immutable and inevitable the creator and the creation have a relationship

“Behold, the former things are come to pass, and new things do I declare: before they spring forth I tell you of them.”
‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭42:9‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“And the LORD said unto Moses, Stretch out thine hand toward heaven, that there may be darkness over the land of Egypt, even darkness which may be felt.

And Moses stretched forth his hand toward heaven; and there was a thick darkness in all the land of Egypt three days:”
‭‭Exodus‬ ‭10:21-22‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.”
‭‭2 Corinthians‬ ‭4:6‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Feb 15, 2024
Victoria, Australia
Thanks.
Jesus Weeps over Jerusalem
41Now as He drew near, He saw the city and wept over it, 42saying, “If you had known, even you, especially in this your day, the things that make for your peace! But now they are hidden from your eyes. 43For days will come upon you when your enemies will build an embankment around you, surround you and close you in on every side, 44and level you, and your children within you, to the ground; and they will not leave in you one stone upon another, because you did not know the time of your visitation.” Luke 19:41-44

“O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the one who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing! Matthew 23:37

*Simply speaking the reason He wept was like the entire world and its people in these latter days, Israel and particularly Jerusalem was not awake spiritually when the Lord our God came to it as Jesus Christ. Neither is the world in these days following His teachings as commanded through the Holy Spirit.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Thanks to all who tried to answer. Some helped and some were exactly what I asked Not to be given, so I didn't read those, and some seemed to miss the question all together.
But regardless I appreciate the time and effort to all.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
t almost gave me the impression he was upset with the mourners. It states he became angry first, then wept.
I believe you may be misunderstanding the reason. Here is what is written (KJB):
When Jesus therefore saw her weeping, and the Jews also weeping which came with her, he groaned in the spirit, and was troubled, And said, Where have ye laid him? They said unto him, Lord, come and see. Jesus wept.

We are not told why Jesus groaned in His spirit, and was troubled in His soul, but that was the direct cause of His weeping. He certainly understood the grief of all those who loved Lazarus, but at the same time He knew that He would raise him from the dead, and their grief would end. So Christ was definitely not weeping at the demise of Lazarus.

It would be pure speculation to know why He wept at this time. It is possible that He wept because the curse of sin on mankind resulted in death, and therefore in human grief. And He had come to heal the brokenhearted and then bring resurrection to those who believed on Him. But this is purely a guess.

PaulThomson

Oct 29, 2023
Thanks.
Lazarus was possibly a very Christlike person. Everyone seemed to love him - until Jesus raised him from the dead and he became a testimony to Jesus' divinely authenticated ministry. Then people plotted to kill Lazarus because he was pointing people to Jesus.

Maybe Jesus was weeping because he was anticipating the blowback Lazarus was about to suffer merely for being given back to his family alive.

It also reminds me of Jesus' parable of Lazarus and the rich man, where Jesus said that even if Lazarus returned from the dead, those who were rejecting Moses would not repent. Maybe he was weeping for the same reason he wept over Jerusalem. Here I am doing a miracle that should bring you to gather under my wings, but you stubbornly will not be gathered to me.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
John Gill said it this way:

John Gill's Exposition of the Whole Bible John 11:35 Jesus wept. As he was going along to the grave, see John 11:28; as he was meditating upon the state of his friend Lazarus, the distress his two sisters were in, and the greater damnation that would befall the Jews then present, who, notwithstanding the miracle, would not believe in him.

Everlasting-Grace

Dec 18, 2021
Interesting to note. In the greek, he did not just weep. He essentially “Burst into tears and wept bitterly”

I believe he was angry because this is not how it was supposed to be. God did not create us to die
I believe he wept for a few reason.

Lazarus was his close friend
He saw the pain on the people and witnessed first had the pain and sufferings of death
God is an emotional God, he feels our pain and He is angry and sad that all that has happened based on our sin.

And remember, He is going to die himself for this very reason. To remove the power of Death..