Why did the Most High God create sin?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

awelight

Aug 10, 2020
The KJV offers an interesting idea regarding the "creation" of evil. Not my words . . . but straight from the KJV.

Isaiah 45:7 KJV - "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these [things].

Don't stone me. I'm only the messenger!!! :D
Most biblical scholars and translators believe this was an unfortunate choice of word by the KJV translators. Sadly, it has been carried forward by other translations. The word here carries more the meaning of calamity or woe.

rah, raw-aw'
From H7489; bad or (as noun) evil (naturally or morally). This includes the second (feminine) form; as adjective or noun: - adversity, affliction, bad, calamity, + displease (-ure), distress, evil

One should never apply the word "EVIL" when it comes to God. Evil and Holiness are a contradiction in character. Holiness precludes any evil, either in or creator of.

Additionally, we see that "light" is contrasted with "darkness" - therefore, " peace" cannot be contrasted with "evil". The opposite of "peace" would be "calamity" or "distress".

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
Most biblical scholars and translators believe this was an unfortunate choice of word by the KJV translators. Sadly, it has been carried forward by other translations.
Makes sense to me. Fortunately, of the 14 translations that I use, the KJV is the only one to use such terminology. Thanks for your feedback on this.

Respect . . .

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
That's a good question. However, I wonder if Satan has the power to create anything at all, such as the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. But, I'd have to wonder if that particular tree was inherently evil, or if it were the simple acts of Adam and Eve that were evil (disobedience).

May 22, 2020
That's a good question. However, I wonder if Satan has the power to create anything at all, such as the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. But, I'd have to wonder if that particular tree was inherently evil, or if it were the simple acts of Adam and Eve that were evil (disobedience).
The acts of Adam and Eve.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Are people here denying that God created everything?
We do not know what heaven is like, but when God created the world there was an up in order to have a down, a sin in order to have a good, a wide in order to have a narrow.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
The KJV offers an interesting idea regarding the "creation" of evil. Not my words . . . but straight from the KJV.

Isaiah 45:7 KJV - "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these [things].

Don't stone me. I'm only the messenger!!! :D
evil in Hebrew is disaster like destroy Sodom and G.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
Do you think the KJV should be corrected?

I looked up Evil in the Blue Letter Bible dictionary and amongst its teachings, it says to "See Sin." Even the NKJV doesn't say "evil" or "sin" but chooses the word "calamity." It does seem pretty wild for the Lord to say that He creates sin, or evil.

I'm just looking forward to Heaven . . . where I won't have to ponder these things. :D
Yes, and the RSV was a good update for now. It too needs updating at Isaiah 7:14

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
evil in Hebrew is disaster like destroy Sodom and G.
Interesting. If we, as humans, were to wipe out entire cities of peoples, we would be considered evil. However, there is definitely a different standard for the Lord.

To keep the wolves off of my back, I am not suggesting that what God did was evil. I am NOT suggesting that God is evil.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
Most biblical scholars and translators believe this was an unfortunate choice of word by the KJV translators. Sadly, it has been carried forward by other translations. The word here carries more the meaning of calamity or woe.

rah, raw-aw'
From H7489; bad or (as noun) evil (naturally or morally). This includes the second (feminine) form; as adjective or noun: - adversity, affliction, bad, calamity, + displease (-ure), distress, evil

One should never apply the word "EVIL" when it comes to God. Evil and Holiness are a contradiction in character. Holiness precludes any evil, either in or creator of.

Additionally, we see that "light" is contrasted with "darkness" - therefore, " peace" cannot be contrasted with "evil". The opposite of "peace" would be "calamity" or "distress".
"
2. Misfortune; mischief; injury.

There shall no evil befall thee. Ps.91.

A prudent man foreseeth the evil, and hideth himself. Prov.22.

"
https://av1611.com/kjbp/kjv-dictionary/evil.html

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
Yes, and the RSV was a good update for now. It too needs updating at Isaiah 7:14
I hear you. I would add, though, that we are mere humans doing our best to translate. We aren't and never will be perfect in our understandings. Therefore, what I believe is important, is that we not become hung up on simple matters, but focus on Core Doctrines, such as that of Spiritual Circumcision.