Why do Christians believe in a place of torment called Hell?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
Are you saying you don't FEAR God? God said those who don't fear Him are fools.

Proverbs 2:5 (NKJV)
5 Then you will understand
the fear of the LORD, And find the knowledge of God.
Proverbs 2:5
Easy-to-Read Version
If you do this, you will understand what it means to respect the Lord, and you will come to know God.

Duckybill

Aug 16, 2021
That is the meaning of the Hebrew word, language.
You're a Hebrew expert?
I even posted some texts from different translation where in the KjV it uses fear of God and more uptodate modern ones have respect of God.
I must have missed that. Try again.
Also, the english word fear has respect as part of the definition. The Bible was written in a culture and language I am guessing you do not know how to read.
I'll take the literal Bible quotes over any dictionary.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
Proverbs 1:7 (KJV)
7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Proverbs 1:7
Easy-to-Read Version
Knowledge begins with fear and respect for the Lord, but stubborn fools hate wisdom and refuse to learn.

Contemporary English Version
7 Respect and obey the Lord!
This is the beginning
of knowledge.
Only a fool rejects wisdom
and good advice.

Good News Translation
To have knowledge, you must first have reverence for the Lord. Stupid people have no respect for wisdom and refuse to learn.

Duckybill

Aug 16, 2021
Proverbs 2:5
Easy-to-Read Version
If you do this, you will understand what it means to respect the Lord, and you will come to know God.
Proverbs 2:5 (NKJV)
5 Then you will understand the fear of the LORD,
Proverbs 2:5 (CJB)
5 then you will understand the fear of Adonai
Proverbs 2:5 (ASV)
5 Then shalt thou understand the fear of Jehovah,
Proverbs 2:5 (CSBBible)
5 then you will understand the fear of the Lord
Proverbs 2:5 (CEB)
5 Then you will understand the fear of the LORD,
Proverbs 2:5 (Darby)
5 then shalt thou understand the fear of Jehovah,
Proverbs 2:5 (DRV)
5 Then shalt thou understand the fear of the Lord,
Proverbs 2:5 (ESV)
5 then you will understand the fear of the LORD
Proverbs 2:5 (NIV)
5 then you will understand the fear of the LORD .
Proverbs 2:5 (NRSV)
Proverbs 2:5 (RSV)
Proverbs 2:5 (TEV)
5 If you do, you will know what it means to fear the LORD and yo
Proverbs 2:5 (Webster's Bible)
5 Then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD,
Proverbs 2:5 (GW)
Proverbs 2:5 (KJV)
5 Then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD,
Proverbs 2:5 (NET1)
5 then you will understand[18] how to fear the LORD,[19]
Proverbs 2:5 (NASB77)
5 Then you will discern the fear of the LORD,
Proverbs 2:5 (NASB)
5 Then you will discern the fear of the LORD
Proverbs 2:5 (NIV2011)
Proverbs 2:5 (BBE)
5 Then the fear of the Lord
Proverbs 2:5 (GenevaBible)
5 Then shalt thou understand the fear of the Lord,
Proverbs 2:5 (HCSB)
5 then you will understand the fear of the LORD and
Proverbs 2:5 (NJB)
5 then you will understand what the fear of Yahweh is,
Proverbs 2:5 (NLT2)
5 Then you will understand what it means to fear the LORD,
Proverbs 2:5 (MSG)
5 Believe me, before you know it Fear-of-GOD will be yours;
Proverbs 2:5 (YLT)
5 Then understandest thou fear of Jehovah,

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
Luke 16 does not say nor even imply that it's a parable no more than John 3:16.
The man on the street would not experience luke 16 in this life.

noun
a short allegorical story designed to illustrate or teach some truth, religious principle, or moral lesson.
a statement or comment that conveys a meaning indirectly by the use of comparison, analogy, or the like.

OTHER WORDS FOR PARABLE
1allegory, homily, apologue.

24. THE PARABLE OF THE RICH MAN AND THE BEGGAR LAZARUS

Luke 16:19-31 [unique to Luke]
http://ww3.haverford.edu/religion/courses/301F09/List of Parables.htm

Duckybill

Aug 16, 2021

Duckybill

Aug 16, 2021
The man on the street would not experience luke 16 in this life.

noun
a short allegorical story designed to illustrate or teach some truth, religious principle, or moral lesson.
a statement or comment that conveys a meaning indirectly by the use of comparison, analogy, or the like.

OTHER WORDS FOR PARABLE
1allegory, homily, apologue.

24. THE PARABLE OF THE RICH MAN AND THE BEGGAR LAZARUS

Luke 16:19-31 [unique to Luke]
http://ww3.haverford.edu/religion/courses/301F09/List of Parables.htm
There's no proof whatsoever that it's a parable just because it doesn't fit your SDA doctrine.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
Jesus is not the Great "I Am"?
Below is a list of Jesus’ seven “I Am” statements in the book of John.

1. “I am the bread of life.” (John 6:35, 41, 48, 51) As bread sustains physical life, so Christ offers and sustains spiritual life.
  2. “I am the light of the world.” (John 8:12) To a world lost in darkness, Christ offers Himself as a guide.
  3. “I am the door of the sheep.” (John 10:7,9) Jesus protects His followers as shepherds protect their flocks from predators.
  4. “I am the resurrection and the life.” (John 11:25) Death is not the final word for those in Christ.
  5. “I am the good shepherd.” (John 10:11, 14) Jesus is committed to caring and watching over those who are His.
  6. “I am the way, the truth, and the life.” (John 14:6) Jesus is the source of all truth and knowledge about God.
  7. “I am the true vine.” (John 15:1, 5) By attached ourselves to Christ, we enable His life to flow in and through us. Then we cannot help but bear fruit that will honor the Father.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
Mocking the Bible?

1 Timothy 5:6 (NKJV)
6 But she who lives in pleasure is dead while she lives.
Get a sense of humor and stop misrepresenting others, including myself. ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

Duckybill

Aug 16, 2021
Below is a list of Jesus’ seven “I Am” statements in the book of John.

1. “I am the bread of life.” (John 6:35, 41, 48, 51) As bread sustains physical life, so Christ offers and sustains spiritual life.
  2. “I am the light of the world.” (John 8:12) To a world lost in darkness, Christ offers Himself as a guide.
  3. “I am the door of the sheep.” (John 10:7,9) Jesus protects His followers as shepherds protect their flocks from predators.
  4. “I am the resurrection and the life.” (John 11:25) Death is not the final word for those in Christ.
  5. “I am the good shepherd.” (John 10:11, 14) Jesus is committed to caring and watching over those who are His.
  6. “I am the way, the truth, and the life.” (John 14:6) Jesus is the source of all truth and knowledge about God.
  7. “I am the true vine.” (John 15:1, 5) By attached ourselves to Christ, we enable His life to flow in and through us. Then we cannot help but bear fruit that will honor the Father.
TheLearner: "Well seeing how this topic is not right for this page. I digress."

Duckybill

Aug 16, 2021
Get a sense of humor and stop misrepresenting others, including myself. ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL
You seem to think the Bible is a comedy.