Why do denominations exist? Which modern one would Jesus attend?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Do you not have any thoughts as to why Denominations exist? How about you offer your thoughts, then we will review them and consider our thoughts, and post them.........

Yeah, you go first.............

tantalon

Oct 11, 2019
OK. First, there is only ONE church, the body of Christ, of whom the Holy Spirit at the moment of repentance and conversion baptizes a believer into. Denominations exist because of interpretational bias. Attend Church for fellowship and learning, but be aware, only the Word, righty divided is truth. We belong to Christ, and our denominational identity is, A CHRISTIAN, (belonging to him who died for me). When we wear a denominal identity, we proclaim all that "religion" proclaims in it's doctrine, and are a part and member of it. Jesus is the head of the body, keep ones' focus on that, and not on some other identity that is man made.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
That's actually pretty good.

OK. First, there is only ONE church, the body of Christ, of whom the Holy Spirit at the moment of repentance and conversion baptizes a believer into.

AGREE

Denominations exist because of interpretational bias.

AGREE

Attend Church for fellowship and learning, but be aware, only the Word, righty divided is truth.

Problem here is that "rightly divided" is where the birth of Denominations arises. Understanding the Truth of Scripture should rely completely on the direction of the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit. However, many believers are saved but not yet sanctified (having the indwelling presence), and SOME do not believe in the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit....... Rightly dividing of the Word for one is not the same for ALL, and, therein arises Denominations.

When we wear a denominal identity, we proclaim all that "religion" proclaims in it's doctrine, and are a part and member of it

True that people accept Denominational Ideology, and most will defend it with great passion. IMO, the problem arises when they condemn other Believers who disagree with their Denominational Ideologies.......

Jesus is the head of the body, keep ones' focus on that, and not on some other identity that is man made.

AGREE.......I have always held "just preach Jesus until Jesus comes again....)

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
The denomination that Jesus attended was called "The Way". It was very different from any denomination we have today. History says it only lasted about 500 years.

In the year 132 the men who made up the Councils that headed the Christian church were killed in a terrible war with Rome. These men were mostly Jews like James, the brother of Christ. The council was then taken over by gentiles. These gentiles were converts to Christianity but they did not have access to scripture as it was then as the Jews had. Their education and training had been from the life of the occult, it was what they knew best so they entered some of their ideas in.

Paul had explained that the Holy Spirit was to guide Christians, not Jewish customs so they used that to get rid of anything Jewish. That eliminated the Sabbath and the feasts. They changed the Sabbath to the day the occult told them to worship and the feasts we are told to celebrate salvation with.

Love was the rule of "The Way". They met in small enough groups that they could take care of both the secular needs and spiritual needs of each other.

A report of this denomination is still with us in the form of a report of a Roman to an emperor. It said they were not a threat but they took care of each other.

soggykitten

Jul 3, 2020
I don't think Jesus would attend any church today and for precisely the reasons tantalon explained with regard to denominations. I recall the early followers of Christ after he ascended were called disciples. Later somewhere in scripture we're told we were called Christians in the land of Antioch. But we had to be called something before that I'm sure.

soggykitten

Jul 3, 2020
The denomination that Jesus attended was called "The Way". It was very different from any denomination we have today. History says it only lasted about 500 years.

In the year 132 the men who made up the Councils that headed the Christian church were killed in a terrible war with Rome. These men were mostly Jews like James, the brother of Christ. The council was then taken over by gentiles. These gentiles were converts to Christianity but they did not have access to scripture as it was then as the Jews had. Their education and training had been from the life of the occult, it was what they knew best so they entered some of their ideas in.

Paul had explained that the Holy Spirit was to guide Christians, not Jewish customs so they used that to get rid of anything Jewish. That eliminated the Sabbath and the feasts. They changed the Sabbath to the day the occult told them to worship and the feasts we are told to celebrate salvation with.

Love was the rule of "The Way". They met in small enough groups that they could take care of both the secular needs and spiritual needs of each other.

A report of this denomination is still with us in the form of a report of a Roman to an emperor. It said they were not a threat but they took care of each other.
I wouldn't think Jesus attended any denomination being he was the source.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Why do they exist? simple the enemy divides and conquers. A kingdom divided cannot stand the enemy knows this, when the first church was built what better way to weaken the kingdom than to confuse divide and destroy the church? However we may have many different denominations but we have one heart for God. The way I see it God looks to the heart not the denomination

D

DWR

OK. First, there is only ONE church, the body of Christ, of whom the Holy Spirit at the moment of repentance and conversion baptizes a believer into. Denominations exist because of interpretational bias. Attend Church for fellowship and learning, but be aware, only the Word, righty divided is truth. We belong to Christ, and our denominational identity is, A CHRISTIAN, (belonging to him who died for me). When we wear a denominal identity, we proclaim all that "religion" proclaims in it's doctrine, and are a part and member of it. Jesus is the head of the body, keep ones' focus on that, and not on some other identity that is man made.
Do you attend or fellowship with any local assembly?
Non-denomination churches are also a denomination with their own set beliefs and practices.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
I wouldn't think Jesus attended any denomination being he was the source.
Did you dismiss all I said because I didn't say the denomination Jesus WOULD attend? Actually, Jesus does attend today. It is a question of whether Jesus is the source of the doctrines of any church today.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
I studied the bible for years before I started looking for which one embodies the doctrines that I truly believed in. I went to many but found few were more than 80% correct, as I came to understand the word. I belong to Christ. Church is where I go. I have found comfort in finding one where I felt we were in one accord. I won't say which one now as I'm not in favor of doctrinal quarrels.

Matthew 6:33
But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Why do denominations exist?
Denominations exist because many choose the doctrines of men above the Word of God.
Which modern one would Jesus attend?
Jesus has no interest in denominations. But wherever God is worshipped in Spirit and in truth, He is in the midst of those believers. Even if they are only two or three.

Jul 20, 2019
I have attended many different denominations over the years, all fell way short of what I was taught via the holy spirit since I was in primary school. So I decided to stop going to any building that had the word church imprinted on it, and have stayed faithful alone. I have no friends outside of this household, no contact with any family since 2017. Its me , Jesus, God and the Holy Spirit to nurture, strengthen me and be by my side.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
I have attended many different denominations over the years, all fell way short of what I was taught via the holy spirit since I was in primary school. So I decided to stop going to any building that had the word church imprinted on it, and have stayed faithful alone. I have no friends outside of this household, no contact with any family since 2017. Its me , Jesus, God and the Holy Spirit to nurture, strengthen me and be by my side.
That's how I started too.

wolfwint

Feb 15, 2014
Thats why in heaven are no denominations. But here on earth you find so much different man made understandings ( and none of them is 100% right) about the bible, that you will not change it.

E

EleventhHour

Did you dismiss all I said because I didn't say the denomination Jesus WOULD attend? Actually, Jesus does attend today. It is a question of whether Jesus is the source of the doctrines of any church today.

It is true Jesus does attend today....... For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.” :)
Matther 18:20

soggykitten

Jul 3, 2020
You presume I dismissed all that you said because I shared my personal opinion after quoting yours?

T

timps

Why can’t God just tell us what the truth is. What does that say about him when he lets people flounder and wondering constantly?

Jul 20, 2019
Why can’t God just tell us what the truth is. What does that say about him when he lets people flounder and wondering constantly?
well if they had a personal one one one relationship with him, they wouldn't be confused or led astray.