Why do I tend to gag and heave durring prayer?

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Josh22

New member
Sep 18, 2026
11
9
3
I have always had a tendancy to gag and dry heave durring prayer. Sometimes I think it is the body's natural reaction to emotion but at times too it seems it is something else as if something it being torn out of me. I had it happen even durring quiet prayers a couple of times.
 
I only know one reason why that happens when praying... and I would rather not say what it is.
 
  • Like
Reactions: tourist
Is this unique to prayer? Does it happen when you're listening to worship music or sermons? How long is always? Since you started investigating Jesus? You've investigated multiple religions and had this issue in all of them? You remember praying as a 5 year old and getting sick from it then? Does it happen every time or just occasionally? Do you have any kind of social anxiety or fear of public speaking? Does this tend to happen when you're praying with a group or when you're by yourself and praying?

It's a lot of questions but more information may help narrow down the exact nature of your situation.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Michiganabuelita
I have always had a tendancy to gag and dry heave durring prayer. Sometimes I think it is the body's natural reaction to emotion but at times too it seems it is something else as if something it being torn out of me. I had it happen even durring quiet prayers a couple of times.

Hello Josh22 and welcome,

2 Questions

1. Do you have this response when you are asked to pray publicly, like a nervous reaction, or when anyone prays ?

2. Someone asked me if I were to die today if I was 100% sure if I would go to Heaven?
I was not, so he showed from the Bible what it said and answered that question. I'm passing it forward if you would like to consider it?

 
  • Like
Reactions: Citizen
2. Someone asked me if I were to die today if I was 100% sure if I would go to Heaven?
I was not, so he showed from the Bible what it said and answered that question. I'm passing it forward if you would like to consider it?

Thank you for posting this video. There are definitely days when this truthful reminder is needed.
 
  • Like
Reactions: HealthAndHappiness
Is this unique to prayer? Does it happen when you're listening to worship music or sermons? How long is always? Since you started investigating Jesus? You've investigated multiple religions and had this issue in all of them? You remember praying as a 5 year old and getting sick from it then? Does it happen every time or just occasionally? Do you have any kind of social anxiety or fear of public speaking? Does this tend to happen when you're praying with a group or when you're by yourself and praying?

It's a lot of questions but more information may help narrow down the exact nature of your situation.
It has happened since i got saved years ago.
 
Hello Josh22 and welcome,

2 Questions

1. Do you have this response when you are asked to pray publicly, like a nervous reaction, or when anyone prays ?

2. Someone asked me if I were to die today if I was 100% sure if I would go to Heaven?
I was not, so he showed from the Bible what it said and answered that question. I'm passing it forward if you would like to consider it?

I have always done it all the way back to when I got saved years ago.
 
  • Heart
Reactions: HealthAndHappiness
Hello Josh22 and welcome,

2 Questions

1. Do you have this response when you are asked to pray publicly, like a nervous reaction, or when anyone prays ?

2. Someone asked me if I were to die today if I was 100% sure if I would go to Heaven?
I was not, so he showed from the Bible what it said and answered that question. I'm passing it forward if you would like to consider it?

I have done it since my early Christian life but to be honest i was really clamping down and screaming to him. I did have it happen once when doing a quiet prayer years ago. May not mean anything but I did have a dream once about a lion walking up to me kneeling on its front paws and then coughing out a large coin in front of me.
 
I have done it since my early Christian life but to be honest i was really clamping down and screaming to him. I did have it happen once when doing a quiet prayer years ago. May not mean anything but I did have a dream once about a lion walking up to me kneeling on its front paws and then coughing out a large coin in front of me.
Just a image thrown out dont Trust anything! but here take a look
  • Releasing Blockages: It suggests that a hidden truth, a secret, or something deeply repressed within you (or within a situation) is finally being brought up into the light.
  • The "Gift" After the Struggle: It mimics a natural process of an animal getting rid of something that doesn't belong inside it. The lion had to endure discomfort to carry this object, meaning the value you are about to receive comes from a place of past struggle or hardship.
The Large Coin: Reward, Value, and Legacy
A large coin represents worth, currency, wealth, and recognition.
  • Unlocking Hidden Abundance: Because the coin was hidden inside the king of beasts, it symbolizes a major, hard-earned reward. This could be unexpected financial prosperity, a valuable life lesson, or a profound burst of wisdom.
  • The Ultimate Validation: Historically, rulers minted their own coins to project authority. A lion delivering a coin directly to your feet indicates a "stamp of approval" or anointment—an validation that you are entering a period of abundance, leadership, and personal sovereignty.
Summary of the Metaphor
This vision tells a powerful story of humility, transformation, and unexpected reward. A force that could easily destroy or overpower you has instead chosen to bow down and hand over its most valuable hidden treasure. It is an incredibly positive omen of mastery over your fears and upcoming prosperity
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20260923-023451.jpg
    Screenshot_20260923-023451.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 3
I have always had a tendancy to gag and dry heave durring prayer. Sometimes I think it is the body's natural reaction to emotion but at times too it seems it is something else as if something it being torn out of me. I had it happen even durring quiet prayers a couple of times.
Weird. Of course the usual response is that you have a demon. Is there any specific prayer that triggers it?
 
Weird. Of course the usual response is that you have a demon. Is there any specific prayer that triggers it?
I don't have a demon never did and I am baginning to think I wasted my time asking. I can read the bible pray touch sacred objects just fine GOOD DAY.
 
Is this unique to prayer? Does it happen when you're listening to worship music or sermons? How long is always? Since you started investigating Jesus? You've investigated multiple religions and had this issue in all of them? You remember praying as a 5 year old and getting sick from it then? Does it happen every time or just occasionally? Do you have any kind of social anxiety or fear of public speaking? Does this tend to happen when you're praying with a group or when you're by yourself and praying?

It's a lot of questions but more information may help narrow down the exact nature of your situation.
Only happens durring prayer at times. I can listen to surmons touch sacred objects and read the bible and it dont hapen. Durring some of these prayers i was exerting myself hard and I have noticed that sometimes even if I get upset durring an argument I will do it. It happened once durring a quiet prayer though. I have had the holy ghost fall on me several times and the most memoral was when I was praying over a dieing man who requested to chat with me. So I doubt I am demon possesed because the holy ghost wont dwell in an unclean house.
 
So it sounds like this usually happens when you are emotionally exerting yourself. Are you generally rather emotional and intense or more reserved and steady?
Only happens durring prayer at times. I can listen to surmons touch sacred objects and read the bible and it dont hapen. Durring some of these prayers i was exerting myself hard and I have noticed that sometimes even if I get upset durring an argument I will do it. It happened once durring a quiet prayer though. I have had the holy ghost fall on me several times and the most memoral was when I was praying over a dieing man who requested to chat with me. So I doubt I am demon possesed because the holy ghost wont dwell in an unclean house.
 
It's the groaning for a new creation, I wouldn't call it gagging or heaving.

Romans 8:26-27
 
It's normal, and sometimes you may cry too. This is the 'living waters' the Bible talks about. John 7:38

I'm giving the reference verses so you can look them up in your own Bible.