Why do people lack common courtesy and respect nowadays? What has changed??

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

ManiaStar

Senior Member
Nov 14, 2015
381
29
28
I don't understand what goes through people's minds.

I sell items on Ebay and through groups on facebook as well.

It has happened 3 times just this week where someone says they're going to either come to my house to pick something up or meet me somewhere and exchange money for the product.

The one person I confirmed the night before and they said, yes, they'd be here by 9:30 in the morning at the latest. 9:30 came and went. No message from them, nothing and they didn't come all day or the next day. I messaged them the following day asking if they were still interested in buying the items, they responded immediately and said yes. I then asked them why they didn't message me at all on Saturday morning/afternoon to tell me they weren't coming but their only response to my question was, I just can't come til the middle of the week. It makes me very angry. It's like people don't think I have other stuff to do. On Saturday, I stayed around til 11 and when she didn't show up, I went out and ran the errands I wanted to run earlier.

Also, today I was supposed to meet someone half way and have them buy something. I confirmed w/ them this morning and they responded by saying, oh I can't make it today. So, if I didn't message them to confirm it, I would've gone there expecting them to be there and wasted more time. Why couldn't she have told me earlier today or possibly last night? She had to bring one of her parents to the hospital for surgery.

I just don't understand. People make me angry. If I were meeting someone or going to be late, I'd let them know instead of just not say anything or not show up. Everyone is busy (mostly everyone) and don't have time to waste. I think these people think I have nothing better to do then to either wait for them or go and wait for them somewhere and they don't show up.

This is just an example of this week. This has happened quite a few other times as well and I just don't understand.
 
We all are lacking in something(s).

Courtesy
Critical thinking
Motivation
Rhythm

I'm not calling you impatient, but you being angry about someone else being a flake could be a lack of patience, for example. We've all got some touching up to do.

That's pretty messed up, what they did. I hope you find a different customer that respects you and your time. :)
 
I understand what you're saying.

I was really only angry at the one person last Saturday because I had soooo much to do that day and I could've gone out by 9am to get my errands done early to avoid all the crowds but, since the lady said she could come by 9:30, I decided to just wait for her to come yet waited til 11am instead to be nice but since she didn't come or message, I gave up at 11 and went out.

The other lady from today, well, I wasn't angry because I didn't have to go out of my way to meet her as I messaged her prior to going But, if i did have to drive there and wait for no one to show up, yes, I most likely would be angry.

I'm extremely busy this time of year. Lots of stuff to do before Christmas (mainly busy w/ selling/packing items for Ebay) so, I'm busy and yes impatient when people decide to not show up when they promise to buy the item so its frustrating for me. I usually am a lot more patient but, when I have things to do, errands to run, items to pack and ship, and I'm going out of my way (sometimes) to meet people half way and then they don't show/don't message, it angers me.

I'm actually giving both buyers 1 more shot so, I'm trying to be nice despite their lack of courtesy.
 
We are in a world where only few are saved according to scripture, where one third of the angels fell, so one thing I have learned is not to let anyone rob me of my joy because there are probably people trying to do it to us to get us angry on purpose. Count it all joy when people revile you, persecute you, and say all manner of evil falsely on account of Christ. Also I have learned from selling on eBay is just some people need a little more time than others to get their money together.
 
I use to have this very struggle.. the holy spirit informed me it matters more that I'm courteous and respectful in spite of what's happening around me.. the minute I loose focus in this .. I forget who God has made me to be and the discipline in that area starts lacking because I'm looking instead of how I think everyone else should be.. Greater is He that is in us than he who is in the world.
 
FROM OP:

I don't understand what goes through people's minds.

I sell items on Ebay and through groups on facebook as well.

It has happened 3 times just this week where someone says they're going to either come to my house to pick something up or meet me somewhere and exchange money for the product.

END QUOTE.............

............and therein is the root of the problem?
 
I sell on eBay as well, and I NEVER have anyone pick up (or I drop off) because of this very problem. Also, did you know that if a customer comes to your home and has some type of accident (like slips on your stairs), your insurance company WILL NOT cover a claim because it was business-related (unless you have the appropriate endorsement on your homeowners or rental policy).

When people ask to pick up/drop off stuff, I just tell them that I do not have the proper insurance for that because I do not have a brick and mortar store. Besides, when you ship something, you have the tracking and the verification that the item has been delivered. It's simply a safer way to sell.

Obviously, this is more difficult if you're selling large items -- then you're just going to have to deal with the general public who has not been taught in a very long time about common courtesy, etc. It's all about them, don't ya know.
 
Nobody knows how to communicate....it's all take take take....me me me.
 
Nobody knows how to communicate....it's all take take take....me me me.

and also, very few people will admit they are wrong or make a mistake. they are to busy saying " it's not my fault". example: I was having a issue with the landline ( yes I still have one) phone. the phone company guy was in my home FOR LESS THAN A MINUTE before he quips " not our fault". after a not-so- nice-exchange, turned out it was their fault. got no apology from him.
 
I don't understand what goes through people's minds.

I sell items on Ebay and through groups on facebook as well.

It has happened 3 times just this week where someone says they're going to either come to my house to pick something up or meet me somewhere and exchange money for the product.

The one person I confirmed the night before and they said, yes, they'd be here by 9:30 in the morning at the latest. 9:30 came and went. No message from them, nothing and they didn't come all day or the next day. I messaged them the following day asking if they were still interested in buying the items, they responded immediately and said yes. I then asked them why they didn't message me at all on Saturday morning/afternoon to tell me they weren't coming but their only response to my question was, I just can't come til the middle of the week. It makes me very angry. It's like people don't think I have other stuff to do. On Saturday, I stayed around til 11 and when she didn't show up, I went out and ran the errands I wanted to run earlier.

Also, today I was supposed to meet someone half way and have them buy something. I confirmed w/ them this morning and they responded by saying, oh I can't make it today. So, if I didn't message them to confirm it, I would've gone there expecting them to be there and wasted more time. Why couldn't she have told me earlier today or possibly last night? She had to bring one of her parents to the hospital for surgery.

I just don't understand. People make me angry. If I were meeting someone or going to be late, I'd let them know instead of just not say anything or not show up. Everyone is busy (mostly everyone) and don't have time to waste. I think these people think I have nothing better to do then to either wait for them or go and wait for them somewhere and they don't show up.

This is just an example of this week. This has happened quite a few other times as well and I just don't understand.
Hello ManiaStar


IMO people like that are thinking about me,myself and I.They weren't even courteous enough to at least call,but when you called them,they were still saying yes.I know christians are suppose to let their yes be yes and their no be no,so If they are worldly,they are going to think about themselves first and you will have to recognize this.

IMO that type of buisness Is not good unless you don't really need It meaning you will have to be patient or let It go.