Why do so many people think Paul was a false apostle?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
They think Paul was a false Apostle because they are false Christians who can only justify their beliefs by making Paul out to be false..........problem for them is, I read the back of the Book, and true Believers WIN!

Denying Paul's Apostleship amounts to denying Christ, as it was He who chose and anointed Paul an Apostle.

star

Nov 8, 2017
North Carolina
If you google Paul false apostle you'll get hundreds of thousands of results. Of course, not all results contain opinions against Paul, but I estimate that at least half of them state that he departed from the true gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.

There are also those who don't go to the extreme of calling Paul a false apostle, but regard him as "not completely reliable".

Is there any reason for us to think that Paul's authority is questionable?

Paul was one of the greatest apostles. The only ones who want to question that are those who are misled. Or they take scripture out of context, rearrange scripture, etc. Scripture is plain about Paul and his good and sacrificial works.

7seasrekeyed

I never learned of this assertion until this forum

and then only a few months back

but the flip side, are people putting the words of Paul over the words of Christ

J

joefizz

They think Paul was a false Apostle because they are false Christians who can only justify their beliefs by making Paul out to be false..........problem for them is, I read the back of the Book, and true Believers WIN!

Denying Paul's Apostleship amounts to denying Christ, as it was He who chose and anointed Paul an Apostle.
Yeah it's really not surprising back in his day it was the same,Jewish and Gentile being "upset" with Paul and particularly "his words" but despite his prior murderous past Jesus chose Paul as a vassal to speak unto the gentiles,people either accept that or not.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Good point, because I have seen that here as well............and some try to say Paul taught a different Gospel than Christ, BUT HE DID NOT!

Except for John, in my opinion, Paus is the greatest of the Apostles........

He has certainly had more influence on the Church, and ONLY Jesus has had more.........but, then, JESUS is JESUS!

but the flip side, are people putting the words of Paul over the words of Christ

7seasrekeyed

Good point, because I have seen that here as well............and some try to say Paul taught a different Gospel than Christ, BUT HE DID NOT!

Except for John, in my opinion, Paus is the greatest of the Apostles........

He has certainly had more influence on the Church, and ONLY Jesus has had more.........but, then, JESUS is JESUS!
I agree

frankly, I was really taken aback the first time I read that in the forums here posted by someone I had no idea they thought that way

makes you wonder if some people are just biding there time to reveal a 'new gospel' at just the right time

yes, a bit of a play on scripture...but definitely teaching 'another Jesus'

notuptome

May 17, 2013

Seems like every wind of doctrine blows through here at one time or another.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

J

joefizz

Yep just like with any servants of God/Jesus it's partly because we can't "see" Jesus that many revere his "servant's words more" just like in the past,people tend to turn to what "they prefer" rather than "what is best" because often we may have doubts and "look for what is pleasing"more than "what is true" Jesus is to be exalted above his servants and his words held more dear not the other way around.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
But for that matter what is an apostle? I mean the word apostle means a disciple or a follower or a student but apparently it's like blasphemy to call yourself an apostle of Christ nowadays

Marcelo

Feb 4, 2016
The only ones who want to question that are those who are misled.
That's why I think it's important to have a proper understanding of the differences between the teachings of the Lord Jesus during His earthly ministry, and His teachings after the cross (through His spokesman Paul).

Christian Law keepers, for example, tend to disqualify Paul because some of his teachings are in conflict with their theology.

Dec 12, 2013

The word's of Paul are the words of Christ and of equal weight and value spiritually unless noted by Paul as his own words....!

Last edited:

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
Which laws, exactly ... all 613 of the OT Laws?
No one is for all 613 of the laws. Not even Judaism anymore.

What I've seen with people who twist Paul or try to make it seem as if he contradicts Christ is that they bring us back to their favorite OT laws. Usually it is only one or two.

J

jaybird88

The first time I heard of this was 30 years ago -- a friend of mine had doubts about Paul's reliability.

One evening, after a service, we asked a pastor about the differences between the Gospels and the Pauline letters and he told us that, in case of conflict
, the teachings of Paul take precedence over those of the Lord Jesus because Paul was the apostle to the Gentiles. His explanation sounded weak (or incomplete), but we accepted it.

It wasn't until some six months ago that I found the full answer to our question: While on earth the Lord Jesus was reinterpreting the Mosaic Law, and after the cross He preached a different way of salvation through the apostle Paul. In other words, Jesus' earthly ministry was under the dispensation of the Law and Paul's ministry was under the dispensation of grace. This is the reason why there are differences between the Lord Jesus and the apostle Paul.
Paul takes precedence over Jesus? wow! think i would be looking for a new church.

Sep 14, 2017
It's no surprise. They've tried to say Hebrews should be taken out of the canon, then said all of Jesus' teachings before the cross were OT, & now this.

Maybe Bethel church is behind this. :rolleyes:

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
Jesus showed us the power of the Holy Spirit. Paul taught us how to wield it. Not everyone believes what Paul said about the gifts, and to a portion some try to discredit the gifts by discrediting Paul.

7seasrekeyed

It's no surprise. They've tried to say Hebrews should be taken out of the canon, then said all of Jesus' teachings before the cross were OT, & now this.

do you have a cold? I can hardly hear you (jking re your tiny letters)

I think Jesus..of the Bible not the one some people make up...still makes alot of people uncomfortable...like the stone throwers with the woman, but they will turn it around and say that the stone throwers are the ones who do not believe that the words of Christ are only OT

interesting how it goes

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
If you google Paul false apostle you'll get hundreds of thousands of results. Of course, not all results contain opinions against Paul, but I estimate that at least half of them state that he departed from the true gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.

There are also those who don't go to the extreme of calling Paul a false apostle, but regard him as "not completely reliable".

Is there any reason for us to think that Paul's authority is questionable?
Paul did the best Job of explaining the Gospel in detail i believe.. So if people hate the Gospel as it trully is they will often avoid using Pauls rightings in the Bible and if they really hate the Gospel they will attack paul and declare him a false Christian..

J

jaybird88

ᶦ ᵗʰᶦᶰᵏ ᵗʰᵉʸ ˢʰᵒᵘᶫᵈ ᶫᵉᵃᵛᵉ ᵗʰᵉ ᵇᵒᵒᵏ ᵒᶠ ᴴᵉᵇʳᵉʷˢ ᵃᶫᵒᶰᵉ⋅

Hizikyah

Aug 25, 2013
Warning:

ws.jpg

Scriptual Truth Zone, if you are stuck in tradition or not a servant of the Messiah this mesage may not be for you.

There is only One that we must hear and obey, all others if their teaching line up with the One we must hear and obey, those teachings are valid. Anyone who puts any others words equal to or higher than the Messiah, the One we must hear and obey is in disagreement with the Creator Himself:

John/Yahanan 5:46-47, "For had you believed Mosheh, you would have believed Me, for he wrote about Me*. But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe My words?"

*Mosheh wrote:

Deuteronomy 18:18-19, "I (YHWH) will raise up for them a Prophet (Yahshua/Jesus) like you from among their brothers, and I will put My words in His mouth, and He will tell them everything I command Him. Whoever will not listen to My words, which He speaks in My Name, I will judge him for it"

"listen" is word #8085 -
שָׁמַעshama` {shaw-mah'}

Brown-Driver-Briggs (Old Testament Hebrew-English Lexicon)
A primitive root; to hear intelligently (often with implication of attention, obedience, etc.; causatively to tell, etc.)

Hebrew Word Study (Transliteration-Pronunciation Etymology & Grammar) - 1) to hear, listen to, obey

It is Scriptural fact, the Messiah’s words are higher than anyone else who has ever lived.

John/Yahanan 12:48, "He who rejects Me, and does not follow My words has One Who judges him. The word that I have spoken, the same will be used to judge him in the last day."

2 John/Yahanan 1:9, "Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of the Messiah, does not have Yah. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son."

John 5:43, “I have come in My Father's Name, but you do not follow Me. Let another come in his own name; him you will follow.”

John/Yahanan 7:16-17, "Yahshua answered, them, and said: My doctrine is not Mine, but His Who sent Me. If any man will do His will, he will know about this teaching, whether it comes from YHWH, or whether I am speaking of My own authority."

John/Yahanan 12:48, "He who rejects Me, and does not follow My words has One Who judges him. The word that I have spoken, the same will be used to judge him in the last day."

John 14:23-24, "יהושע answered him, “If anyone loves Me, he shall guard My Word. And My Father shall love him, and We shall come to him and make Our home with him. He who does not love Me does not guard My Words. And the Word which you hear is not Mine but of the Father Who sent Me.”

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
The first time I heard of this was 30 years ago -- a friend of mine had doubts about Paul's reliability.

One evening, after a service, we asked a pastor about the differences between the Gospels and the Pauline letters and he told us that, in case of conflict
, the teachings of Paul take precedence over those of the Lord Jesus because Paul was the apostle to the Gentiles. His explanation sounded weak (or incomplete), but we accepted it.

It wasn't until some six months ago that I found the full answer to our question: While on earth the Lord Jesus was reinterpreting the Mosaic Law, and after the cross He preached a different way of salvation through the apostle Paul. In other words, Jesus' earthly ministry was under the dispensation of the Law and Paul's ministry was under the dispensation of grace. This is the reason why there are differences between the Lord Jesus and the apostle Paul.
Thank You for this view, I like it it is true, for the greatest of Law is. Love of God Father, that covers the first 4 of the Ten Commandments. The Last six are Neighbor as self. in reality not literally in works to be better than others as competing does that and is of this world

Christ fulfilled the Law and Prophets, Paul expounded on it, as Father led him as in Gal. 2:20-21 tells us so. Time for us to get on board and not do the work of this world in look t me I am doing good attitudes.

Thank You again, Brother, deeply so for the share here