Why do theologians say the USA isn't mentioned in prophecy? See Rev 12

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

PS

Jan 11, 2013
I think the thought is that Babylon itself was the mother of the "hindermost [H319] of the nations" (as in verse 12).

See the akjv (from the listing at link, prev post) for the translation (which I underlined in my previous post) that sounds most like it could be taken in such a way (as distinct in this way):

"Your mother shall be sore confounded; she that bore you shall be ashamed: behold, the last of the nations shall be a wilderness, a dry land, and a desert." - Jer50:12akjv

I, myself, have not come to any definitive conclusion either way, on this matter. It doesn't really matter to me, either way.
According to the commentator:

Your mother was Babylon. It was the capitol of the empire, but now, what was once the queen of the world, ceased to be a nation and became a desert, the most backward (hindermost) of nations.

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
According to the commentator:

Your mother was Babylon. It was the capitol of the empire, but now, what was once the queen of the world, ceased to be a nation and became a desert, the most backward (hindermost) of nations.
I do realize that commentators say "[and] BECAME"... but the argument is, that this word is not in the text at all (nor any word along those lines)

Jeremiah 50:12 (ignoring the added words in brackets that the editors inserted) https://biblehub.com/text/jeremiah/50-12.htm [note: the word H319 translated "least" here, can be translated "last," as already mentioned--"the last [H319] of the nations" per the akjv, for example]

PS

Jan 11, 2013
I do realize that commentators say "[and] BECAME"... but the argument is, that this word is not in the text at all (nor any word along those lines)

Jeremiah 50:12 (ignoring the added words in brackets that the editors inserted) https://biblehub.com/text/jeremiah/50-12.htm [note: the word H319 translated "least" here, can be translated "last," as already mentioned--"the last [H319] of the nations" per the akjv, for example]
Least among nations or last in order of importance. Last or least, either is fine.

PS

Jan 11, 2013
Just a quick note regarding America. The Bible is set in the Holy Land and all the places mentioned are in that region.

The Holy Land was their world. Try to remember it was Israels world. Locusts covered the whole earth. There were no locusts in England or France. The Devil took Jesus into a high mountain where they could see the whole world. The flood that covered the whole earth covered the whole earth of Israel and then probably not all of it. When Noah collected all the animals, he never went to Australia and brought back kangaroos, or polar bears from the North Pole. Everything in the Bible happened in and around the Holy Land.

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
Just a quick note regarding America. The Bible is set in the Holy Land and all the places mentioned are in that region.

The Holy Land was their world. Try to remember it was Israels world. Locusts covered the whole earth. There were no locusts in England or France. The Devil took Jesus into a high mountain where they could see the whole world. The flood that covered the whole earth covered the whole earth of Israel and then probably not all of it. When Noah collected all the animals, he never went to Australia and brought back kangaroos, or polar bears from the North Pole. Everything in the Bible happened in and around the Holy Land.
I think the argument has something to do with the following passage (which reaches clear to the time of Christ's Second Coming to the earth); as you read this, keep in mind what I'd put about the phrase "the TIMES of the Gentiles (i.e. "Gentile domination over Israel" in what we see as Neb's "dream/statue/image" with Neb as "HEAD of gold" [Neb/Babylon]):

Daniel 2 -

31 As you, O king, were watching, a great statue appeared. A great and dazzling statue stood before you, and its form was awesome. 32 The head of the statue was pure gold, its chest and arms were silver, its belly and thighs were bronze, 33 its legs were iron, and its feet were part iron and part clay.

34 As you watched, a stone was cut out, but not by human hands. It struck the statue on its feet of iron and clay, and crushed them. 35 Then the iron, clay, bronze, silver, and gold were shattered [kjv includes 'together'] and became like chaff on the threshing floor in summer. The wind carried them away, and not a trace of them could be found. But the stone that had struck the statue became a great mountain and filled the whole earth.

… and also related to:

Revelation 17:8 -

"The beast that you saw was, and is not, and is about to [or, is CERTAIN/SURE to (Grk: mello)] come up out of the abyss and go into destruction; and those dwelling on the earth whose names are not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world will wonder, seeing the beast which was, and is not, and yet will be."

So this would be the beast [consisting of both a KINGDOM and a king/individual, so the "kingdom" aspect-->] that "was" and "IS NOT" (at the time of writing), and "YET SHALL BE [future to the writing]"... and is "connected" (so to speak) with its past parts (even as "in the future" it is wholly "shattered/crushed [together]")... (note, this "beast" in Rev17:8 has the same number of "heads" and "horns" as the "beast" of Rev13:1, "the beast out of/from the SEA" [which, the word "sea" often represents "the nations [plural]," i.e. "the Gentiles," as in (what I'd stated earlier), "Gentile domination over Israel" / aka "the TIMES of the Gentiles" which started in 606/605bc with Neb as "HEAD of gold," and which ("the TIMES of the Gentiles") runs to the END of the trib and Christ's Second Coming to the earth (Lk21:24/Rev11:2), FOR the promised and prophesied EARTHLY Millennial Kingdom to thereafter commence]). So it would be IN THIS WAY that it would "relate" to "Israel" (Israel's "FUTURE" to be more precise, especially during the tribulation period/7-yrs/"ONE WEEK" [Dan9:27a(26)/2Th2:9a]).

Make sense?

["and they shall be led away captive into all the nations, and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles UNTIL…"]

tanakh

Dec 1, 2015
I never heard this before. Very interesting and cool find. Do you have a link to this story? This would seal the deal if we can find proof.

Thanks my brother!!
This information is on Wikipedia under their page about Domitian. The section you need is titled The rise of the Flavian Dynasty
sub titled The year of the four Emperors. I had seen this mentioned in a book about Revelation before but cant remember the title
in any case it didn't go into anywhere as much detail as Wikipedia. Wikipedia also has another page about the Flavian Dynasty as a
whole. It is often useful to understand the secular history surrounding Biblical events. This information doesn't prove conclusively that Domitian sent John to Patmos during this brief period but it is certainly a possibility. Anyway just type in Domitian and click on Wilkipedia.

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
Since we're venturing into the Wikipedia articles :D , I will post again here a post I made awhile back (covering the same "date of Revelation" issue):

[quoting]

Who do you believe Rev2:13's "Antipas [was] my faithful martyr, who WAS SLAIN among you" ?

Some [most?] sources say he was martyred AFTER 70ad... What is your view on that?

Metropolis of Pergamum (Wikipedia) -

"The Christian community of Pergamon was one of the earliest established in Asia Minor during the 1st century AD. It also comprised one of the Seven Churches of Asia mentioned at the New Testament Book of Revelation, written by John the Apostle. According to the Christian tradition, Antipas was appointed bishop of Pergamon, by John. He was martyred there in 92 AD.[3]"

[who is this article saying is the "he" that was "martyred there in 92 AD.?"]

[end quoting that post]

I found later that it had to have been meaning "Antipas," b/c another Wiki article on the death of John said, later than that date, for him :D (and not martyred)

tanakh

Dec 1, 2015
Since we're venturing into the Wikipedia articles :D , I will post again here a post I made awhile back (covering the same "date of Revelation" issue):

[quoting]

Who do you believe Rev2:13's "Antipas [was] my faithful martyr, who WAS SLAIN among you" ?

Some [most?] sources say he was martyred AFTER 70ad... What is your view on that?

Metropolis of Pergamum (Wikipedia) -

"The Christian community of Pergamon was one of the earliest established in Asia Minor during the 1st century AD. It also comprised one of the Seven Churches of Asia mentioned at the New Testament Book of Revelation, written by John the Apostle. According to the Christian tradition, Antipas was appointed bishop of Pergamon, by John. He was martyred there in 92 AD.[3]"

[who is this article saying is the "he" that was "martyred there in 92 AD.?"]

[end quoting that post]

I found later that it had to have been meaning "Antipas," b/c another Wiki article on the death of John said, later than that date, for him :D (and not martyred)
To begin with You don't need to depend on Wikipedia to know about Domitian and the year of the four Emperors. Its common knowledge among historians of that period. We don't know when or how long John was at Patmos. Domitian officially became Emperor in AD81 following the death of Titus. One main argument among Scholars in dating Revelation is whether John was sent there by Nero who died in AD68 or Domitian. There are many Christian traditions. The main argument about the dating of Revelation
is not normally based on traditions surrounding Antipas but on the statement by Irenaus who originated the belief that Domtian as the Emperor who sent John to Patmos all subsequent ascertains were actually based on his statement

PS

Jan 11, 2013
To begin with You don't need to depend on Wikipedia to know about Domitian and the year of the four Emperors. Its common knowledge among historians of that period. We don't know when or how long John was at Patmos. Domitian officially became Emperor in AD81 following the death of Titus. One main argument among Scholars in dating Revelation is whether John was sent there by Nero who died in AD68 or Domitian. There are many Christian traditions. The main argument about the dating of Revelation
is not normally based on traditions surrounding Antipas but on the statement by Irenaus who originated the belief that Domtian as the Emperor who sent John to Patmos all subsequent ascertains were actually based on his statement
It seems Paul was killed by Nero a few days before Nero committed suicide.

https://www.biblestudy.org/question/sauldie.html