WHY DO WE HAVE SO MANY BIBLE TRANSLATIONS?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

joecoten

You are falsely accusing the King James translators of fraud, when you probably have no clue about their integrity, nor the number of manuscripts, printed texts, and translations they had on hand.
Now you're slandering me. Happens every time I dare speak the truth about this issue. It's not just me, but thousands of scholars that you're speaking against. There's no point continuing this conversation as there are few who can break through their long-held tradition and see the truth.
My main issue with the KJV is when it is promoted as the bible when it is more difficult to understand, for new believers and those with mental handicaps. Especially for today's young people. It just seems to me to be an unnecessary obstacle that exists because of the personal preference of older believers. And I know I'm not the only one on this forum who thinks this.
You say probably, but I know. I can only guess why they did that. What about...
" 2 Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. 3 Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. 4 There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to one hope when you were called; 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism; 6 one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all." - Ephesians 4:2-6

J

joecoten

Alright, I would have to understand you. You need to check you facts first. Thank you
As I've been almost completely housebound for many years and surfing the net is about all I do, I know my facts. Thank you.

Mar 4, 2020
Now you're slandering me. Happens every time I dare speak the truth about this issue. It's not just me, but thousands of scholars that you're speaking against. There's no point continuing this conversation as there are few who can break through their long-held tradition and see the truth.
My main issue with the KJV is when it is promoted as the bible when it is more difficult to understand, for new believers and those with mental handicaps. Especially for today's young people. It just seems to me to be an unnecessary obstacle that exists because of the personal preference of older believers. And I know I'm not the only one on this forum who thinks this.
You say probably, but I know. I can only guess why they did that. What about...
" 2 Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. 3 Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. 4 There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to one hope when you were called; 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism; 6 one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all." - Ephesians 4:2-6
Lexham English Bible (LEB)

Mat 5:11 Blessed are you when they insult you and persecute you and say all kinds of evil things against you, lying on account of me.

Mat 5:12 Rejoice and be glad, because your reward is great in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets before you.

May 22, 2020
If you are honest, open-minded, not swayed by tradition, and take the time to actually study the topic, you will have to conclude that the KJV translators took one original manuscript word (I know there were only copies) and replaced it with a word that didn't appear in the original manuscripts.
Truth vs fake news...you choose.
What is the impact to proper understand...that is the point?

J

joecoten

My point is that someone changed a word in the bible.

May 22, 2020
My point is that someone changed a word in the bible.

A human error...such as with Pneuma...or on purpose..such as with Gods...plural?

What about Gods in the NIV? That is profound vs Pneuma...as an example.

What change did it cause to God's word ......is the key.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
A human error...such as with Pneuma...or on purpose..such as with Gods...plural?

Please explain clearly and with evidence your issue with "gods" (plural). Maybe start with which verse.

J

joecoten

I haven't looked into the NIV issue you're talking about, but I am aware of issues with this translation.
If it was human error, they erred 112 times. A theory I have is that it was done in order to de-Jewefy the new testament.
If one is honest, they must admit that Christianity is a Jewish religion. Gentiles are grafted into the Hebrew new covenant, which was prophesied in the old testament. The house of Judah is currently turning to their Messiah in record numbers, thanks to the internet.
One says that in Christ there is neither Jew nor gentile. But it also says there is neither male not female. But in this world male and female have different roles.
I believe that the Lord will unite Judah, Ephraim, and the gentile church. I view myself as being part of the commonwealth of Israel.
One day Messiah will bring His kingdom to Israel and will rule for a thousand years from the New Jerusalem. I expect to be there with Him. Part of His congregation. His ecclesia. I'm sure I'll see you there! Shalom. :)

May 22, 2020
Please explain clearly and with evidence your issue with "gods" (plural). Maybe start with which verse.
NO...you are just harassing..as you normally do.
Read the niv.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
NO...you are just harassing..as you normally do.
Read the niv.
Dude, I'm not interested in your games. Tell me which verse, and I'll be happy to check what it says.

Lucy-Pevensie

Dec 20, 2017
I like the Berean Study Bible a lot because it crossreferences to other passages. Lately I have been enjoying the Lexham English Bible (LEB), but I see that, unfortuantely, it is not on Bible Hub. The LEB was created by one of Bible Hub's competitors, Logos Bible Software, and I guess the bottom line is that it's unwise to promote the product of a direct competitor. Logos also has a lot of good Bible study tools, too.

Lexham is available on Bible Gateway if you need it to hand quickly.
You can quickly compare it in parallel with other translations.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis+1&version=LEB

Lucy-Pevensie

Dec 20, 2017
Thank you! That’s good to know. Do you use e-sword? I have it there, too.
Hi,
No, I've never used e-sword. I have nothing negative to say about it. It seems like good idea & I think the download is free, right?

Mar 4, 2020
Hi,
No, I've never used e-sword. I have nothing negative to say about it. It seems like good idea & I think the download is free, right?
hi,

Yes e-sword is free. It’s just a Bible study tool that I find convenient to use because it works quickly when Internet is slow and/or unreliable since it’s downloaded for offline use. It’s on Windows, Mac, Apple, and Android phones.