Why do we have to pay for Adam and Eve's sin?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

selenah

Why do we have to all be sinners because Adam and Eve sinned? Why did they have to determine everything for everyone? Makes no sense :confused:

Apr 13, 2011
Hi selenah,
Why do we have to all be sinners because Adam and Eve sinned? Why did they have to determine everything for everyone? Makes no sense :confused:
One thought on this is that the bible says everything reproduces after its kind (Gen 1:11, 21). When Adam sinned, he became "tainted", and sinful flesh begets sinful flesh.

Gen 5:3) And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth:

Rom 5:12) Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

Rom 5:18) Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.

Rom 5:19) For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

Just as in Adam all became sinners, in Christ all have the opportunity (by acting on Rom 10:9) to become righteous, after Christ's "kind".

A

AnandaHya

we didn't have to pay for Adam and Eve's sin, Jesus did.

Why do we have to all be sinners because of Adam and Eve? monkey see monkey do. we learn sin and corruption from the womb. Babies are able to hear and react to sound and sunlight even before they are born.

Adam and Eve helped make this fallen world the way it is, but God tells us this:

Jeremiah 31
29 In those days they shall say no more:

‘The fathers have eaten sour grapes,
And the children’s teeth are set on edge.’

30 But every one shall die for his own iniquity; every man who eats the sour grapes, his teeth shall be set on edge.

31 “Behold, the days are coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah— 32 not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, though I was a husband to them,[a] says the Lord. 33 But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 34 No more shall every man teach his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them, says the Lord. For I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more.”

The whole chapter of Ezekiel 18 would good to read as well. here are a few key verses:

30 “Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, every one according to his ways,” says the Lord God. “Repent, and turn from all your transgressions, so that iniquity will not be your ruin. 31 Cast away from you all the transgressions which you have committed, and get yourselves a new heart and a new spirit. For why should you die, O house of Israel? 32 For I have no pleasure in the death of one who dies,” says the Lord God. “Therefore turn and live!”

hi Selenah :) hope you doing well :)

S

selenah

Idk guys it still doesn't make sense. It's like Adam and Eve were given one rule and suddenly because they broke that one rule everyone has to have all these rules. If Adam and Eve were perfect before they sinned, why aren't we given the same chance?

Apr 13, 2011
Idk guys it still doesn't make sense. It's like Adam and Eve were given one rule and suddenly because they broke that one rule everyone has to have all these rules. If Adam and Eve were perfect before they sinned, why aren't we given the same chance?
Because everything reproduces after it's kind. Again, sinful flesh begets sinful flesh. We didn't have a choice.

Jesus Christ was the second Adam. Because God is his father, he started with the same sinless blood as Adam started with. As opposed to Adam, Jesus Christ never sinned. That's why we can be saved. When we are born, it is of corruptible (sinful) seed, descended from Adam. When we are born again, it is with incorruptible seed (Christ in you).

S

selenah

Because everything reproduces after it's kind. Again, sinful flesh begets sinful flesh. We didn't have a choice.

Jesus Christ was the second Adam. Because God is his father, he started with the same sinless blood as Adam started with. As opposed to Adam, Jesus Christ never sinned. That's why we can be saved. When we are born, it is of corruptible (sinful) seed, descended from Adam. When we are born again, it is with incorruptible seed (Christ in you).
It doesn't seem right though. Like if someone steals from a bank, we don't say that his son is a bank robber becuase the father was one. Everything with God always has to be...idk....emo? There has to be all this "kiss me, kill me" type stuff with sacrifices, hell, people dying, and everything that comes with sin when most don't really want it. It seems like it would be so much easier and simpler if God didn't allow Adam and Eve the chance to sin. :confused:

Apr 13, 2011
It doesn't seem right though. Like if someone steals from a bank, we don't say that his son is a bank robber becuase the father was one. Everything with God always has to be...idk....emo? There has to be all this "kiss me, kill me" type stuff with sacrifices, hell, people dying, and everything that comes with sin when most don't really want it. It seems like it would be so much easier and simpler if God didn't allow Adam and Eve the chance to sin. :confused:
God does not control us. Adam and Eve had free will, just as we do. There are consequences to disobedience.

You ask good questions.

A

AnandaHya

Have you read Ezekiel 18?

Adam and Eve were not given just one rule. they had to follow the same spiritual rules we have today. the only difference is they lived in the garden of Eden and we live in this corrupt world.

the concept of original sin is confusing and I'm not sure if I get all the fine details either.

Perhaps we should examine scriptures about it?

This is the curse of mankind:

Genesis 3
17 Then to Adam He said, “Because you have heeded the voice of your wife, and have eaten from the tree of which I commanded you, saying, ‘You shall not eat of it’:

“Cursed is the ground for your sake;
In toil you shall eat of it
All the days of your life.
18 Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for you,
And you shall eat the herb of the field.
19 In the sweat of your face you shall eat bread
Till you return to the ground,
For out of it you were taken;
For dust you are,
And to dust you shall return.”
20 And Adam called his wife’s name Eve, because she was the mother of all living.

21 Also for Adam and his wife the Lord God made tunics of skin, and clothed them.

22 Then the Lord God said, “Behold, the man has become like one of Us, to know good and evil. And now, lest he put out his hand and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live forever”— 23 therefore the Lord God sent him out of the garden of Eden to till the ground from which he was taken. 24 So He drove out the man; and He placed cherubim at the east of the garden of Eden, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to guard the way to the tree of life.

however God promises a Messiah even here in verse 15 when it speaks of the SEED of Eve who will bruise the head of the serpent:

And between your seed and her Seed;
He shall bruise your head,
And you shall bruise His heel.”

now the question is why are we not given the same opportunity as Adam and Eve?

God is using lowly humans to put to shame those who have rebelled against Him, spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

Have you not read that a third of the angels rebelled and joined Satan and were cast down by Jesus when He ascended after His was cruxified and rose from the dead?

Ephesians 3:9-11
New King James Version (NKJV)
9 and to make all see what is the fellowship[a] of the mystery, which from the beginning of the ages has been hidden in God who created all things through Jesus Christ; 10 to the intent that now the manifold wisdom of God might be made known by the church to the principalities and powers in the heavenly places, 11 according to the eternal purpose which He accomplished in Christ Jesus our Lord,

Ephesians 6:11-13
11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age,[a] against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. 13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

Selena there is more to the world than people typically speak upon. God reveals to us through the Bible what is really going on. We must pray and put on the armor of God and trust in Him.

here's a quick cklist:

helmet of salvation
Breastplate of righteousness (Jesus propiation not of your own works)
belt of Truth
Sword of the Spirit (which is the Word of God)
shoes with the preparation of the Gospel of peace
Shield of Faith

we stand and resist the arrows and darts the enemy tries and make us believe. for we are made clean by Christ's atoning work. we are cleansed and kept by His Holy Spirit.

Why do we speak of unfairness?

If God was fair, we would all be lost for we have all sinned and transgressed against the laws of God. I thank God daily for His mercy and grace. That His love overcomes all that is in this world and gives us Hope in the promises He has made to us of the world to come.

Colossians 2:13-15
13 And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses, 14 having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross. 15 Having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it.

Last edited:
S

selenah

Adam and Eve were not given just one rule. they had to follow the same spiritual rules we have today. the only difference is they lived in the garden of Eden and we live in this corrupt world.

the concept of original sin is confusing and I'm not sure if I get all the fine details either.

Genesis 3
17 Then to Adam He said, “Because you have heeded the voice of your wife, and have eaten from the tree of which I commanded you, saying, ‘You shall not eat of it’:

For dust you are,
20 And Adam called his wife’s name Eve, because she was the mother of all living.

21 Also for Adam and his wife the Lord God made tunics of skin, and clothed them.

22 Then the Lord God said, “Behold, the man has become like one of Us, to know good and evil. And now, lest he put out his hand and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live forever”— 23 therefore the Lord God sent him out of the garden of Eden to till the ground from which he was taken. 24 So He drove out the man; and He placed cherubim at the east of the garden of Eden, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to guard the way to the tree of life.

however God promises a Messiah even here in verse 15 when it speaks of the SEED of Eve who will bruise the head of the serpent:

God is using lowly humans to put to shame those who have rebelled against Him, spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

Have you not read that a third of the angels rebelled and joined Satan and were cast down by Jesus when He ascended after His was cruxified and rose from the dead?

9 and to make all see what is the fellowship[a] of the mystery, which from the beginning of the ages has been hidden in God who created all things through Jesus Christ; 10 to the intent that now the manifold wisdom of God might be made known by the church to the principalities and powers in the heavenly places, 11 according to the eternal purpose which He accomplished in Christ Jesus our Lord,

11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age,[a] against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. 13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

Selena there is more to the world than people typically speak upon. God reveals to us through the Bible what is really going on. We must pray and put on the armor of God and trust in Him.

here's a quick cklist:

helmet of salvation
belt of Truth
Shield of Faith

we stand and resist the arrows and darts the enemy tries and make us believe. for we are made clean by Christ's atoning work. we are cleansed and kept by His Holy Spirit.

If God was fair, we would all be lost for we have all sinned and transgressed against the laws of God. I thank God daily for His mercy and grace. That His love overcomes all that is in this world and gives us Hope in the promises He has made to us of the world to come.

13 And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses, 14 having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross. 15 Having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it.

Why is God concerned about putting demons to shame? Idk sorry I've had a headache all day and need to sleep now. I'll reread it later.

A

AnandaHya

Why is God concerned about putting demons to shame? Idk sorry I've had a headache all day and need to sleep now. I'll reread it later.
yeah me too. nit ttyl.

Aug 2, 2009
I think that is a great question. I mean of all the questions I've ever read or been asked since I became a christian, this one's going straight to the top of my list! And the fact that its coming from a teenager (no offense, Selenah) impresses me even more.

Feb 9, 2010
We do not inherit Adam and Eve's sin,and we are not blamed for their sin,for that is their sin and not our sin,for the son shall not bear the iniquities of the father,and the father shall not bear the iniquities of the son,but everyone will bear their own iniquities.

We are not cursed by Adam and Eve's sin,at least not in a direct way,but when Adam and Eve ate the tree of the knowledge of good and evil,it gave them a choice to go by,instead of God guiding them and walking with them,so they would have to choose to live for God.

Adam and Eve were created knowing God without making the choice to live for God,so if they did not eat of the tree and had children,the children would know God from birth not having to make the choice to live for God.

Adam and Eve would now have the choice to do good or evil,instead of God guiding them not having to make that choice.

That means all their offspring would be born with a choice,not automatically knowing God until they come to God later in life,and will do wrong before they do right following God.

We are not blamed for Adam and Eve's sin,but Adam and Eve gave all their offspring a choice,so they do not know God when born,so are deemed a sinner,until they repent of their sins later in life.

We have the choice to repent of our sins,so everything is alright if you repent of your sins,and choose to do good.

We are not born knowing God,but we can know Him later in life.

Babies do not inherit the sin of Adam and Eve,and the Bible says,their angels always behold the face of the Father for the little ones,and angels are only assigned to those who will inherit eternal life.

A

AnandaHya

We do not inherit Adam and Eve's sin,and we are not blamed for their sin,for that is their sin and not our sin,for the son shall not bear the iniquities of the father,and the father shall not bear the iniquities of the son,but everyone will bear their own iniquities.

We are not cursed by Adam and Eve's sin,at least not in a direct way,but when Adam and Eve ate the tree of the knowledge of good and evil,it gave them a choice to go by,instead of God guiding them and walking with them,so they would have to choose to live for God.
ok... with you so far....

Adam and Eve were created knowing God without making the choice to live for God,so if they did not eat of the tree and had children,the children would know God from birth not having to make the choice to live for God.

Adam and Eve would now have the choice to do good or evil,instead of God guiding them not having to make that choice.

That means all their offspring would be born with a choice,not automatically knowing God until they come to God later in life,and will do wrong before they do right following God.

ok lost me here....

Job 31:18
(But from my youth I reared him as a father, And from my mother’s womb I guided the widow );

Psalm 58:3
The wicked are estranged from the womb; They go astray as soon as they are born, speaking lies.

Even in the womb the choice to do good and evil is made, most choose to do EVIL unless God intervenes and touches them with His Holy Spirit and guides them to Him.

why? human fleshly nature teaches survival, being better than others, reigning, doing good for good and evil for evil (the law of Karma found in most world religions)

Christ teaches putting others first, being the lowest servant, giving selflessly, loving others even when they mistreat you.

the world teaches fear and human striving

Christ teaches hope and God's grace and living by faith.

Last edited:
E

enochson

DNA! Thank God Jesus change it.

S

selenah

Genesis 3

For dust you are,

here's a quick cklist:

helmet of salvation
belt of Truth
Shield of Faith

It still seems kind of wrong though. It doesn't make sense why God would let Adam and Eve choose whether or not they want to know about good and evil, but we don't have the same choice. They had the choice to choose to be good or evil and they chose evil. It seems wrong that everyone else should have to be evil because they were evil. The Bible says that the sins of a father aren't passed on to his son, but they are. Idk it really bothers me because it almost seems like God made sin by letting Adam sin and then God doesn't give us a choice but to sin.

E

enochson

It still seems kind of wrong though. It doesn't make sense why God would let Adam and Eve choose whether or not they want to know about good and evil, but we don't have the same choice. They had the choice to choose to be good or evil and they chose evil. It seems wrong that everyone else should have to be evil because they were evil. The Bible says that the sins of a father aren't passed on to his son, but they are. Idk it really bothers me because it almost seems like God made sin by letting Adam sin and then God doesn't give us a choice but to sin.
It's the plan to cast evil from His being. if there was a choice then why did the lamb get slain before the foundation of the world?

S

selenah

It's the plan to cast evil from His being. if there was a choice then why did the lamb get slain before the foundation of the world?
God had evil in Him :confused:

E

enochson

What wonderfull way for God to remove evil from the creation (remember christ created all things) by coving it with His blood and never to see it again. I wish many here would see by those eyes.