Why I am here.

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

TommyHerts

Junior Member
Feb 17, 2013
6
0
0
Hi there,

I hope all are well!

My name is Tom and I am 21 years old from England. I like to think that I am good citizen. I have a decent job and I have helped people out when they have needed it. I always try to be pleasant to others and give when I can.

I do believe in God, but the problem I have is, I feel that I haven't done anything for God, but yet when I sin or need comfort, I turn to God and no one else. Why should God do anything for me, when I don't do anything in return and only go to God when I need help. Doesn't sound fair to me.

The other issue I have is, I haven't been Christened (my family isn't religious), never been to Church (apart from when I sung in the school Choir) and basically I haven't contributed anything to the Church. So feel I cannot call myself a Christian and therefore I don't think should be even praying to God.

This is why I joined here, so I can talk to people who have a better understanding than I do and therefore learn something.

Thanks,

Tom.
 
Hey there Tom,

Firstly, welcome to Christian Chat. Hope that people here help you find your answers. Many Christians feel the same way that you do. Many of us tend to turn to God only when we need help. And, yes, He is always there. Because He is our Father and He loves us more than we can even begin to comprehend. A genuine mother or father would do anything for their children, because they love them. How much more will God do then? We can't even imagine.

Yes, we aren't fair to God, and we need to devote more of our time and affection and worship to God. That's what He wants from us. So, just take a day at a time, and try spending more and more time with God. Maybe start with 10 minutes everyday, and then after a while increase it. And then you'll find that you begin to love being in His presence, and that you will spend more and more time with Him, and in reading His word.

A Christian is a person who follows Jesus. It's as simple as that. I don't see it as a religion, as such. You don't need to be christened to be a Christian. If you love the Lord and you follow His ways, and strive each day to be like Christ, then you're a Christian. Being part of a church just helps you in your fellowship with God. It's just like being in school. You can be home schooled, but you tend to learn more when you are in a classroom, because you don't just learn from the teacher, you learn from your classmates as well. So, going to church, and being with other fellow Christians, can help you in your walk with God.

Hope that my answers that helped you understand a little. Feel free to message me any time you have questions. Welcome to CC, and God bless you, my friend.

- Genevieve.
 
Thanks for the reply and for the welcome Geneviewe.

What you said is very interesting and I guess its more simple than I thought. I makes sense that if you follow His ways, why can't you be a Christian. I think the main reason why I don't go to Church is just down to my lack experience, I wouldn't know what to do or what to expect and my family wouldn't get it either.

Regards,

Tom.
 
That is what church is for, Tom. To help and guide those who don't have much experience in Christianity. And, also for the older Christians to keep learning and renewing their faith in God. No amount of "experience" is enough. Every time you read God's word, you learn something new. No matter how many times you've read it. God loves the simple and meek. You don't have to know much about Him. He knows you. All you have to do is accept Him. That's enough. He'll reveal more and more to you as you get closer and closer to Him. So, don't worry about being inexperienced or anything like that. =)
 
We've all done things in life to go against God and essentially turn our backs on Him. But He still loves us enough to send His Son to die for us, and bless us in other amazing ways. That's kind of the interesting thing about Christianity. None of the blessings we have from God are because we "deserve" it. It's because we have a God that loves of more than we can ever understand.

And with how you've help people so far, you shouldn't be saying that you haven't done anything. I believe God works through our lives the best when we do little things like that.
 
Hi TommyHerts,

It is important to note certain truths about us being christians and that we are to be witnesses of Him in what He has done for us in having made us saints.

Ephesians 1:[SUP]3 [/SUP]Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ: [SUP]4 [/SUP]According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: [SUP]5 [/SUP]Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, [SUP]6 [/SUP]To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved. [SUP]7 [/SUP]In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace; [SUP]8 [/SUP]Wherein he hath abounded toward us in all wisdom and prudence; [SUP]9 [/SUP]Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself: [SUP]10 [/SUP]That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him: [SUP]11 [/SUP]In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will: [SUP]12 [/SUP]That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ. [SUP]13 [/SUP]In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, [SUP]14 [/SUP]Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory. [SUP]15 [/SUP]Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints,

By loving one another is how others will know we are christians... and sometimes, even we need His help with that too.

1 John 4:[SUP]19 [/SUP]We love him, because he first loved us. [SUP]20 [/SUP]If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen? [SUP]21 [/SUP]And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.

Romans 5:[SUP]7 [/SUP]For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die. [SUP]8 [/SUP]But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. [SUP]9 [/SUP]Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.

So if you want to know how to abide in Him, heed these commandments. It is so simple, a child can freely come to Him to be His.

1 John 3:[SUP]22 [/SUP]And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight. [SUP]23 [/SUP]And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment. [SUP]24 [/SUP]And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

So the reality is we are His by believing in Him.

1 Corinthians 6:[SUP]19 [/SUP]What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? [SUP]20 [/SUP]For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

Colossians 1:[SUP]20 [/SUP]And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven. [SUP]21 [/SUP]And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled [SUP]22 [/SUP]In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight: [SUP]23 [/SUP]If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;.......[SUP]27 [/SUP]To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: [SUP]28 [/SUP]Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:

It is no wonder why we shall be rejoicing and giving all the glory to Jesus Christ in Heaven.
 
Unless you have a different definition in the UK, i believe christening only refers to launching new boats. Such as breaking a bottle of champagne over the bow and 'christening' the boat and naming it.

Otherwise, welcome to the site and hope you get some answers.
 
Hi Tom, welcome to CC. I hope you find good Christian people here that will help you in your walk with God. There are lots of different types of people here and we are all at different stages in our faith. Remember this site is what you make of it. I recommend you read up on the rules and get to know the moderators. God Bless you and I'm really happy you are here. If you ever have a question just ask anyone or send me a message. See you around.
 
Thanks for the welcome guys.

Hi Enow, I am going to print your reply out and read through it tonight!

Thanks for the welcome Ugly! I always thought Christening was when you are Baptized when you are a baby. I think what I meant to say was, I haven't been Baptized.

Hi HoldingOn2013, thanks for the welcome and for your support! It would be nice to get to know lots of people here!
 
Welcome to CC Tom!

Well you have answered the question you asked, yourself :-) You want to do something for God, share the Gospel of repentance and love of Jesus Christ our Lord, with your family (since you mentioned they don't know about Him yet). And you know the best way to do that is leading a life that pleases Him. Let your actions and words be witness to your family about Him. You know I have struggled with the same question before. I was like God, You are always there for me and I haven't done anything for You. And I always imagined serving God would be like going 2000miles away from home to like Tanzania or something. But God spoke to me one day saying, look around you and start serving me right where you are. I was like what does that even mean?! I was confused for a moment. But then I realized what He was talking about. There were so many people around me, who needed to know about Jesus, even in my own family. So that's when I understood that we can serve Him, do something for Him, exactly where we are. Because you know why, our God is a great planner. He has planned everything for us, even before we came into existence (Psalms 139). So where He has planted us, we are meant to flourish right there :-) I hope this would have helped. You are welcomed to message me. I hope you enjoy your stay here. God bless and keep that fire burning to do something for GOD :-)