Why I am not on Facebook or should I call it "Fakebook"?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Seeking-Christ
  • Start date Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

Seeking-Christ

Guest
After my church had fallen apart, and I lost all my friends, and I got a lonely job that makes my hours so weird that making friends is almost, or maybe even impossible! My dad encouraged me to sign up for the internet. For a long time, starting in 2002 to around 2013, the internet was mainly just a meeting ground. For that reason I focused mainly on finding a mate. Just about all my online communications was with women.

I'm a slow learner. I had used social networking sites for years, without any understanding of what they meant by "social networking". One of the "Christian" sites I had joined, even had option to say "I'm here for networking". I was like, networking? A lot of people on that site added everyone as a friend. At first I protested. I felt like you should talk to someone for a while, and then decide if they were friendly enough to be a friend. One girl told me, to her, most of these people were just acquaintances. I thought the reason why people were adding each other were because, we are all apart of the body of Christ, or something like that... One day I was on youtube and I decided to look up a video about social networking. After hearing it explained, I began to also add as many people as I could. Then people started protesting to me, about the same thing I protested about, years earlier.

I realize that my second paragraph makes it sound like everything happened on one Christian social networking site. I haven't told you about all the other one's I tried back then. Those details would make this blog a whole lot longer then it needs to be.

I gradually found myself on facebook. The way it happened was, a person I frequently talked to on a Christian social networking site, invited me. At first I hated the site. It was back when facebook was first starting, and it was primarily College kids. Plus all the profiles was set to private. At the time, I didn't like that because it got in the way of the purpose I was online. I wanted to read people's about me pages, and the private wouldn't allow that.

When I realized that facebook had a lot of people I knew in real life, and that it could hook me up with more local people, it seemed like a godsend. That was the biggest problem I had on dating sites! Nobody lived in my area. Never mind if a girl liked me or not, it would be extremely difficult to meet her in real life. Facebook seemed like it was going solve that problem for me. But as I began to get more involved with facebook, I started to find out that the site wasn't all that chatty. It was more like a poster board with some comments here and there. I felt naked, writing comments on people's wall where everyone could see what I was writing. Trying to meet people, I began adding as many friends of friends I could. I also tried sending out lots of Private Messages, to see if I could get an actual conversation started. The result was facebook complaining at me that I was doing everything too fast. Finally the site just closed down my profile.

I never returned to facebook because. 1) I felt like it made meeting people too hard. 2) Looking at everyone's "perfect" lives made me depressed. Facebook added very little good to me. At the end of the day, the only good thing to come out of it was, 1) guy I knew was able to help me with an internet problem I was having. 2) I got to talk to agnostic guy. and 3) I got in contract with a guy went to school with who I sometimes call my Mormon friend. lol But that's it. I quit facebook back in 2010 and never tried again. I was an active facebook member from around 2008-2010esh.