Why I choose to be Catholic

• Thread starter morefaithrequired
  • Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

morefaithrequired

I was raised a Catholic and I am a Catholic.

I don’t know why people are bashing other denominations. I don’t do that, I’m often visiting Evangelical churches because I feel like God is there too.
thats broadcminded in my book Susannah

S

Susanna

thats broadcminded in my book Susannah
I’ve even been to a mosque in the Middle East, but I didn’t like that, I had to cover my hair and felt like a second class citizen. So I’m not that broad minded lol.

M

morefaithrequired

you are a Catholic now Susannah?
i thought i was the only one ....
on here i mean ...

Jo2016

Jun 4, 2019
I'm oriental orthodox and I like ritual pray and old hymn and I feel peace when I listen to it
But I can't judge who is theologically right
Even i 100% believe orthodox creed influence on other churches

M

morefaithrequired

I'm oriental orthodox and I like ritual pray and old hymn and I feel peace when I listen to it
But I can't judge who is theologically right
Even i 100% believe orthodox creed influence on other churches
im curious to visit an EO church. Rod Dreher is one now. (famous conservative Christian)

M

morefaithrequired

look him up. he used to be Catholic. he wrote a book called "The Benedict Option". A lot of non catholic denoms might agree with what he says.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Why can't we all just dispense with denominations entirely and just be brothers and sisters in Christ?

Aug 10, 2019
Canada
My wife was raised Roman Catholic...I usually preface Catholic with the word Catholic with Roman because the word Catholic at its root simply means universal. My baptismal certificate from a Canadian Protestant Church (United) says that I was baptized into the Holy Catholic Church.

But that aside...my wife draws a certain comfort from attending a RC mass that she doesn't get at our current church. No matter what one's religious background, if one grows up in a certain faith tradition it is always going to have a certain primacy in my opinion.

I just attended the evening worship service at my church last night, and its much less formal than the morning service. The pastor solicits from those attending topics to be prayed for at the start of the service...we in the congregation ask for friends/family/neighbours to be prayed for during what could be called 'prayers of the people'. People will also ask for more general topics to be prayed for....like flood victims, or peoples in war torn countries.

Last night someone asked that we pray for our youth you have stopped attending church. When the Pastor incorporated this into the prayer, he asked us to pray that the youth who've stopped attending worship....that 'we pray that their faith in our Lord and Saviour remains steadfast' regardless of whether they attend organized worship. He also prayed that those who have genuinely fallen away and rejected the way, that these youth find the help, love and support that can come from being active in a community of faith.

He then incorporated into his sermon an experience he had at a former church he led, where a young woman in her twenties came back to the church. This 20something had wandered and examined different religions and different Christian traditions before returning. Our pastor said she decided to make a statement of faith to the church, but rather than a typical statement she asked if instead she could sing a song, "Coming Home"....because that is what she said it felt like coming back to the church she'd been brought up in...it felt like coming home.

I imagine for anyone, regardless of the religion or faith tradition....coming back to the faith/traditions/place where they first worshiped, that this would be a common feeling. "Ahhh, I'm home, this is what I remember".

oyster67

May 24, 2014
I won't feel at home till I'm with Jesus and this present system is done away with.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
Why can't we all just dispense with denominations entirely and just be brothers and sisters in Christ?
Bothers and Sisters in Christ become Brothers and Sisters in Christ when they believe and trust in christ.. Thats why not all that cry Lord Lord are brothers and sisters in Christ..

Mission21

Pathfinder
Mar 12, 2019
I won't feel at home till I'm with Jesus and this present system is done away with.
Good point / comment.
---
You wrote, "...this present system is done away with."
'Modern Church' establishment ( Catholic, Orthodox, Protestant..etc. ) is another system.
- Similar to political system.
- Focus is on 'status, power..etc.'
---
I was involved ( not just attending..) in several churches.
- During my spiritual journey from 1970's.

Dec 13, 2019
I respect Catholicism. G.K. Chesterton (a Catholic) said (perhaps I paraphrase) "I don't need the Church to tell me when I'm right; I need the Church to tell me when I'm wrong." The Catholic Church has a lot to say in matters of liturgy, worship and practice. HOWEVER, it can also help to clarify DOCTRINE and theology. It can settle certain disputes, and if it can't settle them, it has a take. Naturally, the other denominations may claim the same, but how messy my mind can become when there are competing points of view regarding doctrine. I like the idea of having a "Big Dog", wise grandpa-type that we can approach on certain matters. When I've had certain questions on political and ethical/moral matters, I've used Catholic.com to find answers. I don't necessarily immediately believe the answer, but still.

Regarding certain Catholic practices, I'm as-yet unconvinced as to their legitimacy. But, again, I'm new to this stuff and certainly am no expert on Catholicism.

Praise be to God.
Have a good rest-of-the-week, Friends.

M

morefaithrequired

I like Chesterton too though some of his pompous humour goes over my head.
Apparently Chesterton has influenced a lot of people including Fulton Sheen.
Have you ever watched Fulton Sheen on his 60s tv show?
He was an entertainer for sure. But not sure I like some of his very conservative stances.

M

morefaithrequired

The real litmus test for me is the following:
what would happen to my awesome sense of humour?
The born agains seem to lose theirs overall. They start hating on Catholics for example.
Catholics are less likely to get sucked into the narrow vortex of
Biblical claustrophobia.
Catholics can be robotic. its true. And slack.
But Catholics can laugh at themselves. And we dont mind Pope jokes. What if we poked fun at Martin Luther? or the whole born again paradigm?

oyster67

May 24, 2014
The real litmus test for me is the following:
what would happen to my awesome sense of humour?
The born agains seem to lose theirs overall. They start hating on Catholics for example.
Catholics are less likely to get sucked into the narrow vortex of
Biblical claustrophobia.
Catholics can be robotic. its true. And slack.
But Catholics can laugh at themselves. And we dont mind Pope jokes. What if we poked fun at Martin Luther? or the whole born again paradigm?
I do not hate you. I want to be your friend. We don't need denominationalism. It is just a nice term for artificial division between brothers and sisters in the one, real, and true Church.

Ephesians 4
4:1 I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,
4:2 With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;
4:3 Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
4:4 [There is] one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
4:5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
4:6 One God and Father of all, who [is] above all, and through all, and in you all.

M

morefaithrequired

I do not hate you. I want to be your friend. We don't need denominationalism. It is just a nice term for artificial division between brothers and sisters in the one, real, and true Church.

Ephesians 4
4:1 I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,
4:2 With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;
4:3 Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
4:4 [There is] one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
4:5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
4:6 One God and Father of all, who [is] above all, and through all, and in you all.
I suspect you don't hate me or even Catholicism. But many do.
I like the idea of Christian unity too. We would be an awesome political power for starters.

bojack

Dec 16, 2019
I suspect you don't hate me or even Catholicism. But many do.
I like the idea of Christian unity too. We would be an awesome political power for starters.
I'm more cautious than hate and you're right many do hate, that goes both ways too ... I try hard not to offend but I have many questions that seem to .. I claim I am a protestant and we can be full of BS just like the RCC can .. I was an Agnostic until I had a Damascus road ''born again'' experience and the fact that I was brought up in no church or denomination influence I think I see things many over look .. There are only two types , the wheat and the tares imo and can be found anywhere .. Somewhere sometime someone will be the last one to make it in heaven and the number will be complete ..