Why is forgiveness not one of the ten commandments?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 5, 2012
God told us to love one another and the bible describes what love is. 1 Corinthians 13

willfollowsGod

Apr 14, 2011
Just because forgiveness is not one of the ten commandments, doesn't mean it is not important. It is just not in the Ten Commandments. That might not answer the question but that is the answer I would give. God bless.

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
Matthew 18

[SUP]21 [/SUP]Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?
[SUP]22 [/SUP]Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.
[SUP]23 [/SUP]Therefore is the kingdom of heaven likened unto a certain king, which would take account of his servants.
[SUP]24 [/SUP]And when he had begun to reckon, one was brought unto him, which owed him ten thousand talents.
[SUP]25 [/SUP]But forasmuch as he had not to pay, his lord commanded him to be sold, and his wife, and children, and all that he had, and payment to be made.
[SUP]26 [/SUP]The servant therefore fell down, and worshipped him, saying, Lord, have patience with me, and I will pay thee all.
[SUP]27 [/SUP]Then the lord of that servant was moved with compassion, and loosed him, and forgave him the debt.
[SUP]28 [/SUP]But the same servant went out, and found one of his fellowservants, which owed him an hundred pence: and he laid hands on him, and took him by the throat, saying, Pay me that thou owest.
[SUP]29 [/SUP]And his fellowservant fell down at his feet, and besought him, saying, Have patience with me, and I will pay thee all.
[SUP]30 [/SUP]And he would not: but went and cast him into prison, till he should pay the debt.
[SUP]31 [/SUP]So when his fellowservants saw what was done, they were very sorry, and came and told unto their lord all that was done.
[SUP]32 [/SUP]Then his lord, after that he had called him, said unto him, O thou wicked servant, I forgave thee all that debt, because thou desiredst me:
[SUP]33 [/SUP]Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellowservant, even as I had pity on thee?
[SUP]34 [/SUP]And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him.
[SUP]35 [/SUP]So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.
I consider that to Truly understand Forgiveness, is to Truly of been forgiven.

The way that we are forgiven cuts deep into us that we have the Spirit that if we have been forgiven so much and loved so much being evil, that we have no ground to not share that love and forgiveness that we have come to know.

The Bible says:

12Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.
If you go back to the Old Testament is says:

Deuteronomy 29

3The great temptations which thine eyes have seen, the signs, and those great miracles: 4Yet the LORD hath not given you an heart to perceive, and eyes to see, and ears to hear, unto this day. 5And I have led you forty years in the wilderness: your clothes are not waxen old upon you, and thy shoe is not waxen old upon thy foot. 6Ye have not eaten bread, neither have ye drunk wine or strong drink: that ye might know that I am the LORD your God. 7And when ye came unto this place, Sihon the king of Heshbon, and Og the king of Bashan, came out against us unto battle, and we smote them: 8And we took their land, and gave it for an inheritance unto the Reubenites, and to the Gadites, and to the half tribe of Manasseh. 9Keep therefore the words of this covenant, and do them, that ye may prosper in all that ye do
Deuteronomy 30

2And shalt return unto the LORD thy God, and shalt obey his voice according to all that I command thee this day, thou and thy children, with all thine heart, and with all thy soul; 3That then the LORD thy God will turn thy captivity, and have compassion upon thee, and will return and gather thee from all the nations, whither the LORD thy God hath scattered thee. 4If any of thine be driven out unto the outmost parts of heaven, from thence will the LORD thy God gather thee, and from thence will he fetch thee: 5And the LORD thy God will bring thee into the land which thy fathers possessed, and thou shalt possess it; and he will do thee good, and multiply thee above thy fathers.6And the LORD thy God will circumcise thine heart, and the heart of thy seed, to love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, that thou mayest live.
Matthew 22

36Master, which is the great commandment in the law? 37Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 38This is the first and great commandment. 39And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 40On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.
1 John 4

Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.2Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: 3And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world. 4Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world. 5They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them. 6We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.7Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God. 8He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love. 9In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him. 10Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. 11Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another. 12No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us. 13Hereby know we that we dwell in him, and he in us, because he hath given us of his Spirit. 14And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world.
15Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God. 16And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him. 17Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world. 18There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love. 19We love him, because he first loved us. 20If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen? 21And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
How Loving and Merciful Heavenly Father is to us.

Psalm 103

103 Bless the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name.
[SUP]2 [/SUP]Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:
[SUP]3 [/SUP]Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases;
[SUP]4 [/SUP]Who redeemeth thy life from destruction; who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies;
[SUP]5 [/SUP]Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle's.
[SUP]6 [/SUP]The Lord executeth righteousness and judgment for all that are oppressed.
[SUP]7 [/SUP]He made known his ways unto Moses, his acts unto the children of Israel.
[SUP]8 [/SUP]The Lord is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy.
[SUP]9 [/SUP]He will not always chide: neither will he keep his anger for ever.
[SUP]10 [/SUP]He hath not dealt with us after our sins; nor rewarded us according to our iniquities.
[SUP]11 [/SUP]For as the heaven is high above the earth, so great is his mercy toward them that fear him.
[SUP]12 [/SUP]As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.
[SUP]13 [/SUP]Like as a father pitieth his children, so the Lord pitieth them that fear him.
[SUP]14 [/SUP]For he knoweth our frame; he remembereth that we are dust.
[SUP]15 [/SUP]As for man, his days are as grass: as a flower of the field, so he flourisheth.
[SUP]16 [/SUP]For the wind passeth over it, and it is gone; and the place thereof shall know it no more.
[SUP]17 [/SUP]But the mercy of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting upon them that fear him, and his righteousness unto children's children;
[SUP]18 [/SUP]To such as keep his covenant, and to those that remember his commandments to do them.
[SUP]19 [/SUP]The Lord hath prepared his throne in the heavens; and his kingdom ruleth over all.
[SUP]20 [/SUP]Bless the Lord, ye his angels, that excel in strength, that do his commandments, hearkening unto the voice of his word.
[SUP]21 [/SUP]Bless ye the Lord, all ye his hosts; ye ministers of his, that do his pleasure.
[SUP]22 [/SUP]Bless the Lord, all his works in all places of his dominion: bless the Lord, O my soul.

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
I wonder if simply because to trully forgive , we first had to recieve forgivness.
Also, if to forgive was a comand, then it would not really be forgivness, but simply an action comanded.
True forgivness is born from a heart of compassion and the understanding of the gift that it is.
A gift given to us in Jesus, a gift we give simply because, we in Jesus, know the value of this gift.
I guess simply said, forgivness is a gift.

God bless
pickles

L

Laodicea

Why is forgiveness or mercy not part of any of the ten commandments?
Exodus 20:6 KJV
(6) And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

This verse is in the midst of the 10 commandments. Also just after God gave the 10 commandments He also gave the Sanctuary message which teaches all about Christ it teaches the gospel message. In Exodus God gave the Law & the gospel.

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
Could it also be that forgiveness is a fruit?
Fruit comes from living in Jesus, and loving as we are commanded.

God bless
pickles

PS

Jan 11, 2013
I think we need to forgive. Mar_11:26

"But if you do not forgive, your Father in heaven will not forgive your sins."

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
I wonder if simply because to trully forgive , we first had to recieve forgivness.
Also, if to forgive was a comand, then it would not really be forgivness, but simply an action comanded.
True forgivness is born from a heart of compassion and the understanding of the gift that it is.
A gift given to us in Jesus, a gift we give simply because, we in Jesus, know the value of this gift.
I guess simply said, forgivness is a gift.

God bless
pickles
Yes, like when we tell our child to say "sorry" do they mean it, or are they doing what we command?

I often say to my son "forgive him" or did you "forgive him"... and while i'm trying to teach him it is only when he feels it that he will forgive others.
Of course small children teach us also the importance of forgiveness and patience for they put us to the test day in day out...
Peace and Blessings Pickles and thank you.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Rom 5:5 And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
Yes, like when we tell our child to say "sorry" do they mean it, or are they doing what we command?

I often say to my son "forgive him" or did you "forgive him"... and while i'm trying to teach him it is only when he feels it that he will forgive others.
Of course small children teach us also the importance of forgiveness and patience for they put us to the test day in day out...
Peace and Blessings Pickles and thank you.
You have given me more to think about, as to why we teach our children to forgive.
Possibly so they will know mercy?
Or because forgivness is also a need so that one will be healed of the offence given?
In the end all comes from our Father above in Jesus because of His love for us.

God bless
pickles

I

isaria

From what I understand it was said aaaaalmost all will be forgiven if you truly repent.
If you abuse jesus you can be forgiven but if you wrong the holy ghost....

Also if someone tortures you, steals everything from you but your soul and faith cause they cant take that, violates and does to much bad to many times with no repent or remorse then they should not expect me to forgive them and with arrogance expect it of me while they still have not given back all they stole or repented for the evil things they did, calculated, planned with all there men and all they are and no remorse.

It with God to forgive them, not me if that how badly they wronged me.

If I forgiven them thousands of times for most horrid things and they just laugh at me, take me for granted and keep doing it then is it not stupid and foolish of me to allow them to treat me that way when they have no remorse.

Must i be friends with such a people who wronged me to many times.

Is it not "ok" for me to simply want nothing to do with them?

To want to move away from such people and not interact or have them around me in any way shape or form.
When they should be in jail and sentenced but nothing happens and noone punishes them for there crimes.

Why have law if we cheat on w in it.
and those truly guilty never get sentenced or put to justice.....
and nothing happens and with no remorse they arrogantly expect forgiveness and keep all they stole and keep doing bad time after time and noone corrects them cause they to educated and many of them and calculated.

May God know what to do with such a people.
Forgive is it is willed by God.
But I should not be expected to be with such whom harmed me and destroyed and taken everything etc and whom not even been punished and whom criminal to me and worse.

No, forgiving another soul or human is nice and if someone forgives the most horrid crime upon them but the one who did it just keeps doing it and worse things.

P

Powemm

What came automatically when I read this was

in Christ we would "love"...it is the greatest of the commandments .There would be nothing that would need forgiving ...

N

nathan3

Christ did make it a commandment . in the new testament. so it is part of it.

S

Scribe

I think it is a misunderstanding of redemption. Forgiveness is explained in the sacrifice of blood. Understanding the sacrifices is an understanding of forgiveness