Why Is Nuke Pooch Obsessed With Brad Pitt? (Conqering Envy.)

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Hey everyone,

First of all, I want to say that I asked Nuke's permission before posting this thread, so I'd like you all to give him a big round of a applause for being such a good sport! :)

In some of the recent threads, we've talked about envying other people because of things such as looks, significant others, and material possessions. In several of his posts (and even an old version of his profile), Nuke mentioned Brad Pitt repeatedly as someone who could be seen as "having it all".

I have to disagree in that I've never been all that into Brad Pitt, but I'm guilty as all get out when it comes to envying other people.

For instance, when I was in grade school, I envied a little girl whose mother bought her all the latest accessories and clothes (I am not saying this is bad in anyway, I'm just saying I was very jealous of things such as her Hello Kitty pencil box.) My parents had to be very careful with money and I knew better than to ask for such frivolous things (however, nowadays, you'll catch me doing things such as buying a pack of Hello Kitty stationery with which to write letters--reclaiming my supposed childhood losses, I guess.)

Basically, if you name the situation, person, or possession, I've envied someone for what they had.

And my biggest weakness regarding the sin of envy would definitely be in the realm of physical appearance. I wanted to look like people as vastly different from me as possible when I was growing up (and still today.) Examples include wanting to look like Linn (the former lead singer of the group Ace of Base--a blonde with ice-blue eyes), or wanting to look like the popular blonde cheerleaders in high school, and, wanting to look like... just about anyone but me.

"But God," I've often pleaded, "If I didn't look like this people wouldn't 'slant' their eyes at me and call me slang racist names... If I didn't look like this... my (then husband) might have wanted to stay with me..." (When I was 25, the person I was married to decided he would be happier with a tall, 19-year-old redhead with blue eyes--in other words, everything physically that I am not.)

One of the most heartbreaking things to me is reading posts from people, especially teens, who say things such as, "I don't like who I am."

Believe me, I can relate to that so well. But to want something God hasn't chosen for us to the point of being dissatisfied with our own lives and selves is sin.

How do we learn to be content with what God gives us? Admittedly, I'm still struggling in this area.

How do the rest of you wrestle with envy vs. being content with the life, place (employed vs. unemployed, single vs. with someone, struggling vs. well-to-do, etc.), and looks that God has given you?

And, if it's any consolation, the Brad Pitt situation is proof that looks aren't the answer--I think Jennifer Aniston is beautiful, but it didn't stop good old Brad from leaving her for the younger, supposedly next best thing (I think Angelina is beautiful too, but I think we can agree that the entire situation isn't exactly what God would have wanted for their lives.)

What kinds of struggles are you having with envy in your own life, and how is God teaching you to overcome them?

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
For the love of Pete, everyone... PLEASE excuse my spelling and writing mistakes. I honestly do try to proofread, but I guess my mind skips over all the mistakes (nothing like living in one's own little world.)

This is downright embarrassing. I really need to stop writing these threads after long days of being up since 4 in the morning... Thanks for your patience--one of these days, I'll start catching my own mistakes before I post them!

D

DanuckInUSA

Other than his boyish good looks?

N

NukePooch

First off...there needs to be a poll.

Second...Brad Pitt vs Hello Kitty pencil box? I don't see the correlation...other than perhaps you wanted to be the first person in all of human history to put 'Brad Pitt', 'Hello Kitty pencil box' and 'Ace of Base' in the same post.

Third...I got nothin'...

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
First off...there needs to be a poll.

Second...Brad Pitt vs Hello Kitty pencil box? I don't see the correlation...other than perhaps you wanted to be the first person in all of human history to put 'Brad Pitt', 'Hello Kitty pencil box' and 'Ace of Base' in the same post.

Third...I got nothin'...
Hmm... Brad Pitt... sorting his Hello Kitty pencil box... while listening to Ace of Base.

Yes, it could happen!!! (The guy has six kids and counting, I would guess at least ONE of them is into Hello Kitty... and Lady Gaga openly admits to being influenced by Ace of Base, and I'm guessing at least one of their kids probably listens to Gaga, so... yes. My vote is that this is a pretty accurate description.)

I'm too tired to think of a poll at this time, but maybe that would be an idea for some of you other clever posters out there...

L

lonewolf

Actually, Brad left Jennifer because he really wanted kids and she didn't.

I deal with not liking myself by telling myself that my patheticness makes me special.