Why is praying in tongues necessary?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Why is praying in tongues necessary?
Necessary for what? Salvation? No, only faith in Yeshua/Jesus and His Blood is necessary for salvation.

Necessary for edification? Yes! Absolutely wonderful edification gift! :love:(y)

It's not...........God understands our hearts just fine........and what every words we pray in....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
True, God does understand our hearts just fine, BUT do we understand HIS heart just fine? :unsure: I think not.

Tongues are God's Words, He is speaking according to His heart over us, in us and through us. I don't have to understand..........I totally trust Him and love and appreciate any and all gifts that He wants to bestow upon and in me!

I encourage everyone to just freely desire and receive ANY of the gifts of the Holy Spirit that God wants to give you. All of His gifts are so precious and very necessary for the whole Body of Christ........Enjoy! :love:(y)

Mar 28, 2016
It would seem from my perspective you are avoiding "the law of faith" or the law and not theory by which we can believe God not seen as it is written.. Its easy to see what the sign confirms and what kind of people it is against .Its the best way I could describe it. How would you describe the sign? Would you exchange the colors and make it your own sign as a oral tradition? I think it is the sign of unbelief (no faith) a sign to all nations.

In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto "this people"; and yet for all that will "they not hear me", saith the Lord.Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to "them" that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.1 Corinthians 14:21-22

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
It is not necessary for an believer. It played its role in the apostoilic Time. But even in this time it was not necessary, because only an part of believers got this Gift.
Today we find a man Made Doctrine who claimes it is necessary.
Necessary for what? Salvation? No, only faith in Yeshua/Jesus and His Blood is necessary for salavation.

Necessary for edification? Yes! :)(y)

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Praying in tongues is unnecessary..

Certain people in the body of Christ get different gifts, So the teaching that everyone should have this or that gift is just false..
How about we focus on the Giver of His Gifts....................How wonderful that our Father gives us salvation through His Son - Yeshua/Jesus which would be enough, but He wants to also give us His Holy Spirit. Great! Wow!

But wait, the Holy Spirit also has gifts for us..................WOW! God just keeps giving and giving more and more........amazing!! :love:

And here we are, arguing over the gifts! LOL! How ridiculous we must look! LOL! :LOL::giggle:

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Praying in tongues isn't necessary at all...
Now, blue............hold on, necessary for what? :unsure:

Salvation? Then, I agree that tongues are not necessary because salvation comes by faith in Yeshua/Jesus and His Blood.

However, tongues are necessary according to the Father's plan and purpose because His Holy Spirit distributes the gift of tongues as He wills. God's ways are higher than ours and I'm pretty sure He knows what He is doing. :)(y)

Tongues are necessary for edification - when the Holy Spirit wants to edify us one on one - cuddle and comfort us and recharge us - build us up in our faith in God so that we can be a blessing to others. :love:

MadHermit

May 8, 2018
O yes, because there are only 2 types of people in this world--those who speak in tongues and those who don't!

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
The richest day of my life was the day I trusted JESUS as my savior by faith which came from the word and not an experience....

Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word
Ya know, dc, you gotta ask yourself, "Why is it that only Noose and garee 'liked' my post?" LOL :giggle:

Perhaps some cuddling with the Holy Spirit would do you some good.........:):giggle:

I'm sorry I'm picking on you, Noose and garee.............but, come on y'all! Jesus saved us to reconcile us back to the Father. Now, the Father is lavishing His gift of the Holy Spirit on us and gifts are everywhere in abundance!!!

I'm not going to argue over if ANY of these gifts are necessary, I'm gonna say, "woooohooooo! Thank You, Daddy!!!" ...............just like a child. :)

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
These things are easier to understand from an experiential perspective, But...
The "gift" of tongues (prophetic prayer language) that you are referring to is #3 in the list below.
The personal prayer language (#1) would be what was received in Samaria, Ephesus and at the house of Cornelius.
Intercessory prayer language (#2) would be using your personal prayer language to intercede for others. (Rom.8:26-27)
Singing in the Spirit (#4) is from ! Cor.14:15.
The Evangelistic language (#5) you are familiar with from Acts chapter two.

Five Different kinds of tongues
1)
Personal prayer language - Speaking to/with God
2) Intercessory prayer language - Praying for others in the Spirit
3) Prophetic prayer language - Addressing the whole church/preferably with interpretation
4) Singing in the Spirit - Singing in tongues/worship activity
5) Evangelistic language - Speaking the message of God to a people in their own language (not yours)
Romans 8:26-27 Amplified Bible (AMP)
Our Victory in Christ
26 In the same way the Spirit [comes to us and] helps us in our weakness. We do not know what prayer to offer or how to offer it as we should, but the Spirit Himself [knows our need and at the right time] intercedes on our behalf with sighs and groanings too deep for words. 27 And He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because the Spirit intercedes [before God] on behalf of [a]God’s people in accordance with God’s will.

Search Robertson's Word Pictures of the New Testament
Romans 8:26
Helpeth our infirmity (sunantilambanetai th asqeneiai hmwn). Present middle indicative of sunantilambanomai, late and striking double compound (Diodorus, LXX, Josephus, frequent in inscriptions, Deissmann, Light, etc., p. 87), to lend a hand together with, at the same time with one. Only twice in N.T., here and Luke 10:40 in Martha's plea for Mary's help. Here beautifully Paul pictures the Holy Spirit taking hold at our side at the very time of our weakness (associative instrumental case) and before too late. How to pray (to ti proseuxwmeqa). Articular clause object of oidamen (we know) and indirect question with the deliberative aorist middle subjunctive proseuxwmeqa, retained in the indirect question. As we ought (kaqo dei). "As it is necessary." How true this is of all of us in our praying. Maketh intercession (uperentugcanei). Present active indicative of late double compound, found only here and in later ecclesiastical writers, but entugcanw occurs in verse Luke 27 (a common verb). It is a picturesque word of rescue by one who "happens on" (entugcanei) one who is in trouble and "in his behalf" (uper) pleads "with unuttered groanings" (instrumental case) or with "sighs that baffle words" (Denney). This is work of our Helper, the Spirit himself.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
Nothing in Acts 10 says they was given a prayer language. One must read that into the text. It simply is not there.

44 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message. 45 The circumcised believers who had come with Peterwere astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on Gentiles. 46 For they heard them speaking in tongues and praising God.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
I have never felt that tongues in pentecostal settings gave me any edification because it is clear they are not languages.
The research by Linguists in this area have universally concluded that no discernible languages are being spoken in those meetings. Often the alleged interpretation does not line up with the length of the tongue being interpreted. Studies have been done where a known message on tape or cd has been played for tongue interpretations. No two gave the same understanding, not even one gets the understanding correct. In fact, during some services I have read out my shopping list to see what odd interpretations will come up. None, exposed it was simply a shopping list. I have seen cases where someone speaks poor English., whose words were interpreted that had nothing to do with what they were actually trying to say.

wolfwint

Feb 15, 2014
Necessary for what? Salvation? No, only faith in Yeshua/Jesus and His Blood is necessary for salavation.

Necessary for edification? Yes! :)(y)
So edification without praying in tongues is not possible? Do I understand you right?

7seasrekeyed

True, God does understand our hearts just fine, BUT do we understand HIS heart just fine? :unsure: I think not.
*gasp*

could this be where some of that self edification comes in?

we have an exchange in which we come out the better?

7seasrekeyed

Nothing in Acts 10 says they was given a prayer language. One must read that into the text. It simply is not there.

44 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message. 45 The circumcised believers who had come with Peterwere astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on Gentiles. 46 For they heard them speaking in tongues and praising God.

right

they were not praying

they were witnessing and how many were saved?

keep reading though

Paul explains about praying later on...in a letter