Why is praying in tongues necessary?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

7seasrekeyed

So prayer in tongues is not nessasary
for edification? Because you said it is.
ah! the king of merry go rounds

you do the same in every thread and try to catch people making mistakes

like seriously already. e v e r y thread

that your pupose?

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Necessary for what? Salvation? No, only faith in Yeshua/Jesus and His Blood is necessary for salavation.

Necessary for edification? Yes!

So edification without praying in tongues is not possible? Do I understand you right?
No, you did not understand what I said correctly.
So prayer in tongues is not nessasary
for edification? Because you said it is.

(How many times would you like to go around the mountain? LOL! It seems we are going in circles. Are you dizzy yet? :giggle:)

Sketch

Nov 1, 2018
Romans 8:26-27 Amplified Bible (AMP)
Our Victory in Christ
26 In the same way the Spirit [comes to us and] helps us in our weakness. We do not know what prayer to offer or how to offer it as we should, but the Spirit Himself [knows our need and at the right time] intercedes on our behalf with sighs and groanings too deep for words. 27 And He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because the Spirit intercedes [before God] on behalf of [a]God’s people in accordance with God’s will.

Search Robertson's Word Pictures of the New Testament
Romans 8:26
Helpeth our infirmity (sunantilambanetai th asqeneiai hmwn). Present middle indicative of sunantilambanomai, late and striking double compound (Diodorus, LXX, Josephus, frequent in inscriptions, Deissmann, Light, etc., p. 87), to lend a hand together with, at the same time with one. Only twice in N.T., here and Luke 10:40 in Martha's plea for Mary's help. Here beautifully Paul pictures the Holy Spirit taking hold at our side at the very time of our weakness (associative instrumental case) and before too late. How to pray (to ti proseuxwmeqa). Articular clause object of oidamen (we know) and indirect question with the deliberative aorist middle subjunctive proseuxwmeqa, retained in the indirect question. As we ought (kaqo dei). "As it is necessary." How true this is of all of us in our praying. Maketh intercession (uperentugcanei). Present active indicative of late double compound, found only here and in later ecclesiastical writers, but entugcanw occurs in verse Luke 27 (a common verb). It is a picturesque word of rescue by one who "happens on" (entugcanei) one who is in trouble and "in his behalf" (uper) pleads "with unuttered groanings" (instrumental case) or with "sighs that baffle words" (Denney). This is work of our Helper, the Spirit himself.
Does Robertson speak in tongues? Is Robertson speaking from the POV of a Cessationist?

This would be like me telling you all about what it's like to visit Paris based on the travel brochure.
Wouldn't you rather hear from someone that has actually been to Paris?

My pet peeve is folks that don't speak in tongues trying to tell those of us who do,
what tongues are and when they should be used.
How on earth would you know? Oh, I see. You read the travel brochure.

It's too bad that you folks get so hung up on the groaning part and miss all the rest.

In the same way the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what prayer to offer or how to offer it as we should,
but the Spirit Himself intercedes on our behalf... And He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is,
because the Spirit intercedes on behalf of God’s people in accordance with God’s will.

The groans are a prayer. The Spirit praying through us. What is that when the Spirit prays through us?
That which may sound like wordless groans to us. Anyone who speaks in tongues understands what this is.
Those who don't speak in tongues say, "It doesn't say anything about tongues." I guess they read the travel brochure.

wolfwint

Feb 15, 2014
Necessary for what? Salvation? No, only faith in Yeshua/Jesus and His Blood is necessary for salavation.

(How many times would you like to go around the mountain? LOL! It seems we are going in circles. Are you dizzy yet? :giggle:)
All time 😊
I like to walk.
You said twice that praying in tongues is nessesary for edification. The consequence of it is, that edification without praying in tongues is not possible.
This means the christians which are not praying in tongues cant edify.
Speaking in tongues began with the pentecostal movement in 1900. So that all christians before were not able to edify, because they dont pray in tongues.
I should accept such teaching as from my heavenly father?
Sorry, i cant

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
Does Robertson speak in tongues? Is Robertson speaking from the POV of a Cessationist?

This would be like me telling you all about what it's like to visit Paris based on the travel brochure.

My pet peeve is folks that don't speak in tongues trying to tell those of us who do,

It's too bad that you folks get so hung up on the groaning part and miss all the rest.

In the same way the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what prayer to offer or how to offer it as we should,
but the Spirit Himself intercedes on our behalf... And He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is,
because the Spirit intercedes on behalf of God’s people in accordance with God’s will.

The groans are a prayer. The Spirit praying through us. What is that when the Spirit prays through us?
That which may sound like wordless groans to us. Anyone who speaks in tongues understands what this is.
Those who don't speak in tongues say, "It doesn't say anything about tongues." I guess they read the travel brochure.

What is POV ???

Robertson is a well know Greek Scholar.

He is best know for his,

Grammar of the Greek New Testament in the Light of Historical Research
by Robertson, Archibald T. • Faithlife 2006

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
A Short Grammar of the Greek New Testament, for Students Familiar with the Elements of Greek $9.99
An Introduction to the Textual Criticism of the New Testament $9.99
Commentary on the Gospel According to Matthew $9.99
Epochs in the Life of Jesus $7.49
Epochs in the Life of Paul: A Study of Development in Paul's Career $9.99
Life and Letters of John Albert Broadus $9.99
Luke the Historian, In the Light Of Research $9.99
Paul, the Interpreter of Christ $7.49
Paul's Joy in Christ: Studies in Philippians $9.99
Preaching and Scholarship: Inaugural Address of Archibald Thomas Robertson $2.49
Studies in the Epistle of James $9.99
The Glory of the Ministry, Paul's Exultation in Preaching $7.49
The New Citizenship: The Christian Facing a New World Order $7.49
The Pharisees and Jesus: The Stone Lectures for 1915-16, Delivered at the Princeton Theological Seminary $7.49
Types of Preachers in the New Testament
And his Word Pictures in Greek NT

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI

Prayer is not always though a mouth. The Holy Spirit speaks, and as such prays through himself.

in Acts, 13:2 The Holy Spirit says, something like Set a part for me....

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
Are these people right because they speak in Tongues???

"
Speaking in Tongues

“When Joseph asked Brigham Young to pray, Brigham spoke in tongues, using strange sounds and unfamiliar words. The others looked at Joseph in some perplexity, for this type of spiritual phenomenon was not common to them. It was Joseph's first experience with the puzzling speech and he called it ‘pure Adamic' and stated that it was ‘of God.' Speaking in tongues spread through the Pennsylvania branches of the church first, then occurred in Mendon, New York. Brigham Young brought it to Kirtland. The practice became a part of the Saints' worship – particularly among women – until well into the next century.”

- King and Newell, Mormon Enigma: Emma Hale Smith, p. 46

“Frederick G. Williams rose and stated that an angel entered through the window and took a place between himself and Father Smith and remained there during the meeting. The congregation shouted, ‘Hosanna, Hosanna, Hosanna to God and the Lamb,' three times, sealing it each time with ‘Amen! Amen! Amen!' Brigham Young spoke in tongues; David W. Patten interpreted, and at four o'clock in the afternoon the dedication was over.”

- King and Newell, Mormon Enigma: Emma Hale Smith, p. 59

“To describe the scene alluded to would be beyond my pow'r. Suffice it to say the spirit of the Lord was pour'd out and we receiv'd a blessing thro' our belov'd mother Chase & sis Clarissa by the gift of tongues.”

- Patty Bartlett Sessions journal, see Smart, Mormon Widwife

“Brother Leonard spoke in tongues in an Indian language, and prophesied of the destruction of this nation before the coming of the Savior. The power that rested upon him was so great as to produce such an intense sympathy with those in the room, that they were all wonderfully affected. Sister Eliza R. Snow walked the floor to keep her breath. All felt the distress and agony that awaited the nation, more particularly the priests and harlots being destroyed in their wickedness. Sister Eliza Snow spoke afterwards in the pure language of Adam, with great power, and the interpretation was given.”

- Wells, “A Venerable Woman,” Women's Exponent, v. 12, June 1, 1883, p. 2

“I [Eliza Snow] spoke & she [Patty Sessions] interpreted. I then blest the girls in a song, singing to each in rotation.”

- Eliza Roxcy Snow journal, June 6, 1847, see In Sacred Loneliness: The Plural Wives of Joseph Smith, by Todd Compton, p. 323

"

Jan7777777

Oct 19, 2018
Not really an answer friend.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the answer is , that God can cause someone to hear their language in their native tongue if it needs be. to fill a purpose. He doesn't have to do it at our beckon call. does that explain my previous answer?:confused:

Dec 12, 2013
Necessary for what? Salvation? No, only faith in Yeshua/Jesus and His Blood is necessary for salvation.

Necessary for edification? Yes! Absolutely wonderful edification gift! :love:(y)

True, God does understand our hearts just fine, BUT do we understand HIS heart just fine? :unsure: I think not.

Tongues are God's Words, He is speaking according to His heart over us, in us and through us. I don't have to understand..........I totally trust Him and love and appreciate any and all gifts that He wants to bestow upon and in me!

I encourage everyone to just freely desire and receive ANY of the gifts of the Holy Spirit that God wants to give you. All of His gifts are so precious and very necessary for the whole Body of Christ........Enjoy! :love:(y)

We have the mind of Christ <--called the bible.....it has all we need to understand God.............and the words cease, fail and vanish away are clear ;)

Dec 12, 2013
Ya know, dc, you gotta ask yourself, "Why is it that only Noose and garee 'liked' my post?" LOL :giggle:

Perhaps some cuddling with the Holy Spirit would do you some good.........:):giggle:

I'm sorry I'm picking on you, Noose and garee.............but, come on y'all! Jesus saved us to reconcile us back to the Father. Now, the Father is lavishing His gift of the Holy Spirit on us and gifts are everywhere in abundance!!!

I'm not going to argue over if ANY of these gifts are necessary, I'm gonna say, "woooohooooo! Thank You, Daddy!!!" ...............just like a child. :)
And what I said was biblical and my view ;)

dcontroversal said:
The richest day of my life was the day I trusted JESUS as my savior by faith which came from the word and not an experience....

Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word <---does not the bible say this????

AND did not PETER in light of the transfiguration experience say.....WE have a more sure word of prophecy and to trust it over an a=y and all experiences...???

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the answer is , that God can cause someone to hear their language in their native tongue if it needs be. to fill a purpose. He doesn't have to do it at our beckon call. does that explain my previous answer?:confused:
Ok that makes sense thanks

Sketch

Nov 1, 2018
Robertson is a well know Greek Scholar.
My questions are still valid, but mostly rhetorical. (hopefully you know what a rhetorical question is)
His commentary seems to indicate that he does not speak in tongues; and that he doesn't believe anyone today should.

Sketch

Nov 1, 2018
Prayer is not always though a mouth. The Holy Spirit speaks, and as such prays through himself.

in Acts, 13:2 The Holy Spirit says, something like Set a part for me....
How does that work? In what way did the Holy Spirit speak to them?

Acts 13:2
While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said,
“Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.”

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
All time 😊
I like to walk.
You said twice that praying in tongues is nessesary for edification. The consequence of it is, that edification without praying in tongues is not possible.
This means the christians which are not praying in tongues cant edify.
Speaking in tongues began with the pentecostal movement in 1900. So that all christians before were not able to edify, because they dont pray in tongues.
I should accept such teaching as from my heavenly father?
Sorry, i cant
You have not understood correctly what I said.