Why is the 'Life-bits' alert indicator stuck on '1' ?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

GaryA

Truth, Honesty, Love, Courage
Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
Any ideas?

The 'Mark media viewed' option does not seem to work. Selecting each one at a time does not have any effect. The indication of "one new life bit" (not yet viewed) is continual, no-matter-what...

GaryA

Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
I logged out and back in and it went away...

GaryA

Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
Perhaps (hopefully) just a one-time "glitch"...?

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Probably (like, 93% chance) your browser was displaying an old copy of the forum page. Refresh will make it download an updated version.

For a year or so I have to manually refresh every time I check the forum. When I open my browser to check the forum, it shows no alerts and no new comments on any threads. Refresh and... Oh, lots of new alerts and all these threads have new comments in them!

My theory is, this is an attempt to save user data that would be wasted with unnecessary refresh. But I have unlimited data and I wish they would change it back.

GaryA

Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
Thanks for your post - especially, telling your experience with a similar thing. That is interesting - since every page should automatically refresh when you initially open it.

However, I did plenty of refreshes and created enough new windows in about a 3-4 hour period - every time - the little red rectangle with a '1' in it showed up.

Not to mention, the 'account' alert (the bell) was changing like normal with new posts to threads I have subscribed to - only that one alert seemed to be "stuck" on as 1 new alert/image/media reported.

I am already well-acquainted with the 'Mark media viewed' button on the Life-bits/Media page. Tried it. Nope - no change.

I even clicked on several of the most recent additions to the list to "register" them as having been seen. Nope - no change - the little red rectangle with a '1' in it refused to go away.

BTW - I don't remember ever having seen this happen before.

I am somewhat of a "power user" by way of using tabs and windows - so that I can leave certain pages where they are while I "run a rabbit" or some such thing away from that point - and, ultimately, just close the extra window - and, be left where I started on the original page.

Generally, I leave the CC main page as is after I log in and put alerts and other lists in tabs. I open a forum from the main page into a new window. I open a post from a list into a new window. I do searches in a new window and open selected posts from that list into tabs on that same window.

"I have a system that serves me well."

I can easily end up with several tabs and windows open at the same time while I am working on a reply to a post, for example. Of course - most of the time - in such a case - they all end up being closed before I move on to the next thing...

Anyway, for me, opening and closing windows "as I go" is a regular thing.

This is/was definitely a 'glitch' of some sort, in my opinion.

I guess "we shall see" what happens after the next entry is added to the Life-bits list...

Godsgirl1983

Feb 2, 2023
Any ideas?

The 'Mark media viewed' option does not seem to work. Selecting each one at a time does not have any effect. The indication of "one new life bit" (not yet viewed) is continual, no-matter-what...
Maybe it's trying to tell you something.
Like "you're #1!" :p

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Thanks for your post - especially, telling your experience with a similar thing. That is interesting - since every page should automatically refresh when you initially open it.

However, I did plenty of refreshes and created enough new windows in about a 3-4 hour period - every time - the little red rectangle with a '1' in it showed up.

Not to mention, the 'account' alert (the bell) was changing like normal with new posts to threads I have subscribed to - only that one alert seemed to be "stuck" on as 1 new alert/image/media reported.

I am already well-acquainted with the 'Mark media viewed' button on the Life-bits/Media page. Tried it. Nope - no change.

I even clicked on several of the most recent additions to the list to "register" them as having been seen. Nope - no change - the little red rectangle with a '1' in it refused to go away.

BTW - I don't remember ever having seen this happen before.

I am somewhat of a "power user" by way of using tabs and windows - so that I can leave certain pages where they are while I "run a rabbit" or some such thing away from that point - and, ultimately, just close the extra window - and, be left where I started on the original page.

Generally, I leave the CC main page as is after I log in and put alerts and other lists in tabs. I open a forum from the main page into a new window. I open a post from a list into a new window. I do searches in a new window and open selected posts from that list into tabs on that same window.

"I have a system that serves me well."

I can easily end up with several tabs and windows open at the same time while I am working on a reply to a post, for example. Of course - most of the time - in such a case - they all end up being closed before I move on to the next thing...

Anyway, for me, opening and closing windows "as I go" is a regular thing.

This is/was definitely a 'glitch' of some sort, in my opinion.

I guess "we shall see" what happens after the next entry is added to the Life-bits list...
Be careful with those tab rabbit trails. They can get out of hand. Especially Wikipedia...

1000016466.png

1000016465.png

Ahem... Yeah, failure to refresh is probably not your problem.

After I posted here I went down my own rabbit trail. I found out you can make Firefox refresh every time you access the tab... If you are on a real computer. As of 2 years ago, Firefox mobile won't even allow you to access config. Something about how Firefox mobile tries to look the same as real Firefox, but it is put together very differently behind the scenes, and some of the config options will permanently break it. So if you are on a phone, you have to use Firefox beta just to access config..

Totally useless for your situation, but I found it interesting.

Ballaurena

May 27, 2024
It isn't going to be a refresh issue because I have the same issue and I use two different browsers on my laptop plus my phone and they all show the permanent life-bit notifications.

Ballaurena

May 27, 2024
Actually, this inspired me to check it out more, and finding that on the phone version there is a link specifically for showing the new life-bits, I tried it a few times and the notification finally went away. I have not confirmed this on my laptop, though.

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022
Do you guys know that there is a "Mark media viewer" button on the media section? I don't know if it's going to help your situation but just throwing it out there.

1.JPG

Dec 9, 2011
Perhaps (hopefully) just a one-time "glitch"...?
I always refresh the page to see the right amount of notifications cause a lot of times I'll only get 1 notification and when I look at the notification there might be 10 to 15 new post and not just 1,so always hit the refresh button.