Why Many Fail to Receive Healing

  • Thread starter Thread starter ABMF
  • Start date Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
A

ABMF

Guest
The Bible clearly gives the reasons and that healing is promised.

Demon possession/oppression can be a cause of sickness. Jesus cast out many demons and the result was healing. See also 2 Corinthians 7:1 for Christians needing deliverance.

Sin is how sickness came into the world so it follows that if a believer sins and refuses all correction from God then He can chasten with sickness. Repentance brings healing.
The healing of the sickness, not the sickness, is for the glory of God. John 9:1-3

Christians can be ill and stay ill from ignorance of the healing Jesus provided in the atonement.

Everyone gets the measure of faith from God but it is the believers responsibility to grow and exercise that faith (Romans 10:17 and Jude 20). If that responsibility is not met healing can be elusive. God can allow it to send that message of our responsibility if all else fails.

They can stay ill because they do not know what Bible faith is Hebrews 11, or how to put it to work James 2:18-26, Mark 11:24, 1 John 5:14-15 to receive healing. No one gets ANYTHING from God unless they exercise Bible faith praying according to His revealed will not "if it be thy will".

Sickness can simply be a trial to defeat the devil, glorify God, and refine the believer's faithfulness and character (see James 1:2-4, 1 Peter 1:6-7) which is why there is often a period of time between asking and receiving by faith and the manifestation of the healing (Mark 11:24).
Christians get sick and stay sick for abusing their bodies. Praying over ones food is VERY important for obvious reasons. It keeps us safe from all the "stuff" in it.
Disobedience, unforgiveness, the negative things we say about ourselves, wanting to be sick to use it for control, sympathy, a hobby, ect.; involvement in the occult by Christians i.e. horoscope, ouija board, "white" witchcraft, fortunetelling, magic practices, water witching (water divining), Eastern religion like yoga all can and do result in getting sick and staying sick.
There is a culture or climate of unbelief that is in the churches which hinders those who want to trust Jesus for healing by faith from doing so and hinders the work of healing miracles by the Holy Spirit.
 
I disagree on this one, in regards to God giving His children sickness and disease to teach them a lesson or chasten them.
 
Last edited:
I always find this type of idea interesting. The logical conclusion always boils down to,

"You didn't have enough faith or you would have been healed."

It begins with the false premise that healing is guaranteed in scripture. Therefore, given that premise, the person who is sick is at fault.

If those promulgating this idea determine that it is not a faith problem, the next step is usually demons. Mind you, there is no scriptural bases for it but the premise is so important to these false teachers that they are willing to make up any doctrine deemed necessary. Thus, the sick person's problem becomes demons.

If it is determined that the sick person has faith, and the demons have been "dealt" with, the next step is usually generational curses. That is, your ancestors sinned and therefore you are sick. Again, there is no scriptural basis for this but challenging the premise must be avoided at all costs. Thus, they introduce a new band-aid doctrine to explain the non-fulfillment of this non-existent promise.

Or, some go a different direction and say you may have got rid of the generational curses, but the demons now have legal access and that is why you are sick.

Error, unchecked always gives birth to additional error.

The scriptures says:

The Lord said to him, “Who gave human beings their mouths? Who makes them deaf or mute? Who gives them sight or makes them blind? Is it not I, the Lord?

Exodus 4:11

Where is the statement from Jesus that sounds anything like:

"It is guaranteed you will be healed."?

Where did Paul say healing is guaranteed? Peter? John?

I absolutely believe in divine healing. I believe that we should always exercise all of our faith when praying for the sick. However, I do not have permission from scripture to tell a sick person that healing is guaranteed. Additionally, I do not have the audacity to tell someone if they are not healed, it is their fault.

The unanswerable argument is: Where is the fulfillment of that premise? In other words, the Church has existed for 2000 years. Surely, at least one body of believers somewhere sometime should have got it right and everyone there sickness free. However, there is no such documented example.

The guaranteed healing movement is the "The Emperor Has New Clothes" story.

"If only you had faith you would be healed."

"If only you were not demon possessed you would be healed."

"If only you were not under a generational curse you would be healed."

It is a rather nice and tidy little erroneous package. The sick person does not dare challenge the idea because that would be losing faith.


 
This is my dilemma, I am battling many serious illnesses, probably from years of alcohol and tobacco abuse. I have not had a drink in over 2 years, and quit smoking 11 months ago because I am terrified of the things that are happening to me. I have been to numerous doctors who do not help. I need help defeating this.
 
Andrew,

I read your post yesterday and you have been on my mind ever since. I was at a Good Friday communion service tonight and was thinking about and praying for you. God showed up and many people stood and walked forward to put their faith in Christ. Then the power of God fell and many people were healed of various diseases and sicknesses. I have been a Christian almost 40 years and I have never experienced Good Friday as I did today.

I was specifically praying that God would show mercy on you and to heal you. It is the most natural prayer about healing to pray because all healing comes from His mercy. I in fact was thinking of you and this verse this evening during the service:

Who is a God like you,
who pardons sin and forgives the transgression
of the remnant of his inheritance?
You do not stay angry forever
but delight to show mercy.

Micah 7:18

Andrew, think about that verse for a moment. God delights in showing mercy. When you or I wish to be delighted perhaps we watch a game or go to the movie. Maybe we eat a big fat steak. Or listen to some great tunes. But who is like Him? When God wants to be delighted He shows mercy.

God isn't sitting back not wanting to be bothered by people's needs. On the contrary, He is sitting on the edge of His throne looking for those to whom he can show His mercy and He is delighted to do so.

DO NOT LET THE WAY YOU THINK GOD VIEWS YOU KILL YOUR FAITH!!!

Andrew, do not project your views of you onto Him who delights in showing mercy. God does not view you the way you view you. The Father is probably cornering Michael the Arch Angel and showing him a picture of you and saying,

"Have I showed you this picture of my son Andrew?"

"Well yes you have showed that to me before."

"Michael, I love Andrew. If he had been the only one I still would have sent my Son for him. I was delighted to send my Son for Andrew."

Andrew, here was the odd ending to an already unusual Good Friday service. There are many recovering addicts that attend our church. We had a guest minister and he stood up before the service was over and said that he felt as if some of those that gave their life to Christ tonight feel as if they didn't deserve God's healing power. He said that he felt as if they were saying to themselves that they destroyed their own health by drugs and alcohol and were therefore disqualified. He told all of them not to believe the lies of satan, and that God was a God of mercy.

When I heard this minister say these things, I knew that I was supposed to come home and pass it on to you. My heart broke for you when I read that you felt you destroyed your own health. I could sense your guilt.

Reread the first part of Micah 7:18:

"Who is a God like you,"

Who is a God like Him? Andrew, it may be the natural inclination for you and I to disqualify ourselves from His mercy. But that is the exact opposite of God's inclination. Who is like him?

So let's think about this for a minute - who needs more mercy, a person who acquires a sickness innocently or someone who has destroyed their own health? Andrew, mercy is something that is undeserved. The more undeserving the person, the more opportunity that God has to pour forth His wonderful mercy. And, showing mercy is something that delights God—He loves to show His mercy to us and the whole world.

Praise God. He has put His seal of ownership on you and He will never let you go. He is far from being done with you. Start praying and believing Him for healing based on His mercy instead of whether or not you think you deserve it.

I will pray for God to heal you and I know that others will too, for we all need His mercy.