Why was Cain's offering rejected by God?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

oldhermit

Jul 28, 2012
Alabama
Whatever the nature of Cain's offering of the crop it is still called an offering of first fruit. "So it came about in the course of time that Cain brought an offering to the Lord of the fruit of the ground. Abel, on his part also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of their fat portions." The word 'also' requires a comparison. The comparison was the offering of Cain.

oldhermit

Jul 28, 2012
Alabama
Later in Genesis 8:21

GOd does say in his heart I will not again curse the ground any more for man's sake..

But interesting that Noah offered burnt offerings of clean animals, both beast and fowl. He didnt offer fruit, well he didnt have any land yet to grow any...but later he did keep a vineyard.
Noah's offering was not the same as that of Able. Able's offering was a first fruit offering and Noah's was a burnt offering. These are different in type and offered for different reasons.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Whatever the nature of Cain's offering of the crop it is still called an offering of first fruit. "So it came about in the course of time that Cain brought an offering to the Lord of the fruit of the ground. Abel, on his part also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of their fat portions." The word 'also' requires a comparison. The comparison was the offering of Cain.
Its talking about the offerings, not that they were firstfruits, just that abel also brought an offering. Obviously he brought a different offering.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Noah's offering was not the same as that of Able. Able's offering was a first fruit offering and Noah's was a burnt offering. These are different in type and offered for different reasons.
i would add just for the sake of completeness, Noah had been on the ark for a year. he didn't have 'firstfruits' of any kind of produce to offer.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Its talking about the offerings, not that they were firstfruits, just that abel also brought an offering. Obviously he brought a different offering.
this is what i am also wondering, because i am currently biased, thinking the issue with Cain may have been that he kept back for himself the best of his harvest. i see that as giving a satisfactory link through covetousness to explain Jude 1:11

oldhermit

Jul 28, 2012
Alabama
The word 'also' links both sacrifices to the same type. Able's sacrifice was of the same type as that of Cain. Since Cain's was of the ground and Able's was of the flock thus different in nature, the comparison is that of function. They were both of the first fruits.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
this is what i am also wondering, because i am currently biased, thinking the issue with Cain may have been that he kept back for himself the best of his harvest. i see that as giving a satisfactory link through covetousness to explain Jude 1:11
Hmm Jude shows us the way of Cain, and also talks about Balaam and Core then see the next verse these are spots in your feasts of charity, when they feast with you, feeding themselves without fear, clouds they are without water, carried about of winds, trees whos fruit withereth, without fruit, twice dead, plucked up by the roots;

Note trees whos fruit withereth....was Cains fruit withered and not fresh. Or it was not ripe. Something was wrong with it. Or it was not the right kind of fruit.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
The word 'also' links both sacrifices to the same type. Able's sacrifice was of the same type as that of Cain. Since Cain's was of the ground and Able's was of the flock thus different in nature, the comparison is that of function. They were both of the first fruits.
You can say that over and over but not convincing me. I read english too. Also it say they are both offerings. Just they bought along different types.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Fruits that withereth...well theres a lot here

Grapes can turn into raisins
Figs?
Bananas

Fruits that keep...the bible often talks about grain and refers to them as a fruit. We know grain keeps. Corn was kept for 7 years in the time of Pharoah famine.
If fruits are made into jam,,they will keep.

oldhermit

Jul 28, 2012
Alabama
You can say that over and over but not convincing me. I read english too. Also it say they are both offerings. Just they bought along different types.
What do you think this means? "... also brought of the firstlings?"

May 20, 2016
are you saying there wasn't anything actually wrong with Cain's sacrifice, but God rejected it just 'because Cain is Cain' and Abel was chosen and Cain was not?

then why does God say to Cain

If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted?
(Genesis 4:7)
because Cain is Cain' and Abel was chosen and Cain was not?
Yes.

In Christian faith , we the winners/the saveds finally surely say “ the Glory is for God alone “ because we understood well that Salvation is by God’s Grace alone ( this is the goal of creation Isa43:7 ) , the understanding about this premise surely come through understood well too about The chosen ( Eph1:4 ) or we surely understood about the reason “why God hated Esau and loved Jacob even when they not yet be born and did anything ( God chose by His own will not depend on works ).

then why does God say to Cain
If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted?
(Genesis 4:7)
In GWT judgment , this case shall be judged.

In that time spirit being who dwelled within Cain shall be judged , and Abel ( spirit of Abel/ the chosen ) will act as the witness ( 1Cor6:3 ) , what is the law shall be used for suing him ?.

Gen4:7 If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him

This is the only law for Him to judge