Wifi extenders

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

RickyZ

Senior Member
Sep 20, 2012
9,635
788
113
Wifi reception was pretty spotty in the parts of the house farthest from the router. I bought an extender, and response to/from all over the house (including right next to the router) is incredibly much faster using the extender than the router. I'm curious how the extender could be faster than the router it is hooked up to?
 
Wifi reception was pretty spotty in the parts of the house farthest from the router. I bought an extender, and response to/from all over the house (including right next to the router) is incredibly much faster using the extender than the router. I'm curious how the extender could be faster than the router it is hooked up to?
Are you comparing extender-WIFI to router-WIFI or extender-WIFI to router-direct-connection?

If it is WIFI-to-WIFI, using different wireless protocols could possibly make the difference.

( i.e. - one protocol works more efficiently with your wireless equipment - PCs, printers, etc. )


Otherwise:

"That's a very good question..." :confused:

:)
 
The router is in the southeast corner of our main floor. The extender is centrally located on the second floor. I'm sitting here on my laptop just 7 feet away from the main floor router, but the laptop (and tablets and phones) respond a whole lot quicker when connected to the 2nd floor extender (at least twice the distance). Obviously there is a difference in programming somewhere, I just thought it odd that a relayed signal would be faster (by far) than a direct signal.
 
How old is your laptop ? My old laptop would have a weak signal in the same room as the router . My new laptop's Signal is so strong that i can get the Mcdonalds Wifi at the end of the street .
 
Wifi reception was pretty spotty in the parts of the house farthest from the router. I bought an extender, and response to/from all over the house (including right next to the router) is incredibly much faster using the extender than the router. I'm curious how the extender could be faster than the router it is hooked up to?


The extender is acting like a bouncer if you will to bounce the signal as a middle man to the router.....it just amplifies the signal back to the router which results in faster data rates.....

One open source software I would recommend is dd-wrt it allows you to mess with the settings on the router such as antenna gain and power (megawatts) so that you dont have to use a range extender but just a router with this open sourced software and adjust the factory default settings of 75mW and take it up to 80 or even 100mW then your wifi will be super strong after "hacking" your wifi router... check to see if your routers is listed....

https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

https://www.dd-wrt.com/site/
 
Aliens.. Need I say more? :p

Wifi reception was pretty spotty in the parts of the house farthest from the router. I bought an extender, and response to/from all over the house (including right next to the router) is incredibly much faster using the extender than the router. I'm curious how the extender could be faster than the router it is hooked up to?