Will believers recognize others at the resurrection?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

UnitedWithChrist

Aug 12, 2019
Sometimes I've heard individuals claim that individuals will not recognize their family members and friends in the resurrection.

This is a ridiculous claim.

Here's a few Scriptures to indicate that believers will recognize one another:

1 Thessalonians 2:19-20 19 For what is our hope or joy or crown of boasting before our Lord Jesus at his coming? Is it not you? 20 For you are our glory and joy.
(ESV)

Paul said that believers would be his joy and object of boasting before Jesus at his coming.

Matthew 17:1-8 1 And after six days Jesus took with him Peter and James, and John his brother, and led them up a high mountain by themselves. 2 And he was transfigured before them, and his face shone like the sun, and his clothes became white as light. 3 And behold, there appeared to them Moses and Elijah, talking with him. 4 And Peter said to Jesus, “Lord, it is good that we are here. If you wish, I will make three tents here, one for you and one for Moses and one for Elijah.” 5 He was still speaking when, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased; listen to him.” 6 When the disciples heard this, they fell on their faces and were terrified. 7 But Jesus came and touched them, saying, “Rise, and have no fear.” 8 And when they lifted up their eyes, they saw no one but Jesus only.
(ESV)

Notice that Moses, Elijah, and Jesus were recognized by the disciples in the Transfiguration, which is related to the resurrection.

Can you think of any more examples? Or, can you offer any criticism?

Personally, I think the claim is utterly ridiculous...and unfortunately, I have heard one pastor teaching this. Granted, he isn't anyone I would respect as a teacher, but it is sad to think that his congregation is taught such unusual and false doctrine.

Lightskin

Aug 16, 2019
I agree with you. Not only will we recognize each other but we will intimately (not sexually) know all believers throughout space and time.

RickStudies

Sep 10, 2019
I believe we will recognize and that will be one of the great joys of heaven. There are people there I long to see again. God said he would wipe away tears which is a concern of mine. Good chance He will make us forget lost love ones. Never forget, the battle for the souls is real and stakes are high.

Jun 10, 2019
2 Sam 12:23
But now he is dead, wherefore should I fast? can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I believe we will recognize and that will be one of the great joys of heaven. There are people there I long to see again. God said he would wipe away tears which is a concern of mine. Good chance He will make us forget lost love ones. Never forget, the battle for the souls is real and stakes are high.
I don't believe that God would simply blot out our memories of loved ones that might be lost. To me, that smacks of deception that would constitute lying. It is God's will and desire that none shall perish and it is hard for me to believe that God is not capable of accomplishing His own will and desire. I agree that we will definitely recognize our loved ones and remember a lot of other things as well.

CherieR

May 6, 2017
Sometimes I've heard individuals claim that individuals will not recognize their family members and friends in the resurrection.

This is a ridiculous claim.

Here's a few Scriptures to indicate that believers will recognize one another:

1 Thessalonians 2:19-20 19 For what is our hope or joy or crown of boasting before our Lord Jesus at his coming? Is it not you? 20 For you are our glory and joy.
(ESV)

Paul said that believers would be his joy and object of boasting before Jesus at his coming.

Matthew 17:1-8 1 And after six days Jesus took with him Peter and James, and John his brother, and led them up a high mountain by themselves. 2 And he was transfigured before them, and his face shone like the sun, and his clothes became white as light. 3 And behold, there appeared to them Moses and Elijah, talking with him. 4 And Peter said to Jesus, “Lord, it is good that we are here. If you wish, I will make three tents here, one for you and one for Moses and one for Elijah.” 5 He was still speaking when, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased; listen to him.” 6 When the disciples heard this, they fell on their faces and were terrified. 7 But Jesus came and touched them, saying, “Rise, and have no fear.” 8 And when they lifted up their eyes, they saw no one but Jesus only.
(ESV)

Notice that Moses, Elijah, and Jesus were recognized by the disciples in the Transfiguration, which is related to the resurrection.

Can you think of any more examples? Or, can you offer any criticism?

Personally, I think the claim is utterly ridiculous...and unfortunately, I have heard one pastor teaching this. Granted, he isn't anyone I would respect as a teacher, but it is sad to think that his congregation is taught such unusual and false doctrine.
I have heard something about that before, the idea of not knowing someone in heaven in certain relational terms as we know them on earth. I don't buy into it. It is not a doctrine that I would consider comforting. Having lost loved ones such as my dad and grandparents, I would want to recognize them as I knew them in life.

As for people who die without knowing Christ, sometimes people may believe things like that not recognizing them as family or forgetting about them in heaven. This may be a way of trying to comfort; however, if I lost an loved one who did not believe in Jesus, I would not found either of these things comforting.