Word Study: “Reproof” (תּוֹכֵחָה — tokheḥāh)

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

OMC

Well-known member
Aug 24, 2026
2,607
1,398
113
“Reproof” (תּוֹכֵחָה — tokheḥāh)
(Scripture-only, KJV wording, first‑century lexical precision)

Definition & Lexical Range​

  • Tokheḥāh — “reproof, correction, rebuke, argument, evidence.”Root: יָכַח (yakhaḥ) — “to prove, convince, correct, decide a dispute.”
Meaning layers:
Correction by exposing error
Reasoned argument that proves truthJudicial confrontation
(God or a wise man showing where one stands guilty)
Instruction that restores (not merely condemns)
In Scripture, reproof is always restorative, never petty.

Key Verses Using “Reproof” (KJV)
Quoted directly from the KJV

1. Proverbs 1:23​

“Turn you at my reproof: behold, I will pour out my spirit unto you.” Reproof is tied to repentance and spiritual illumination.

2. Proverbs 6:23​

“Reproofs of instruction are the way of life.” Correction is not optional—it is the path of life itself.

3. Proverbs 9:8​

“Reprove not a scorner, lest he hate thee.” Reproof reveals character: the wise love it; the scorner hates it.

4. Proverbs 10:17​

“He that regardeth reproof is prudent.” Receiving correction is the mark of wisdom.

5. Proverbs 12:1​

“He that hateth reproof is brutish.” Hatred of correction is moral stupidity.

6. Proverbs 13:18​

“He that regardeth reproof shall be honoured.” Reproof is a gateway to honor.

7. Proverbs 15:31​

“The ear that heareth the reproof of life abideth among the wise.” Reproof is life-giving.

8. Proverbs 29:15​

“The rod and reproof give wisdom.” Reproof is paired with discipline—verbal correction plus consequences.

9. Psalm 141:5​

“Let the righteous smite me; it shall be a kindness.” David sees reproof as mercy.

10. 2 Timothy 3:16​

“All scripture… is profitable for doctrine, for reproof.” Reproof is one of Scripture’s primary functions.

Theological Significance of Reproof

Reproof is covenantal mercy
God confronts sin to restore fellowship.

Reproof is the dividing line between the wise and the fool
The wise love reproof.
The fool hates it.
The scorner attacks the one who gives it.

Reproof is the mechanism of sanctification
Scripture reproves; the Spirit reproves; wise men reprove

Reproof is evidence of sonship
Hebrews 12:6 (not quoted fully): God reproves those He loves.

Word Structure: The Yakhaḥ Root
The root yakhaḥ carries judicial weight:
To prove
To correct
To decide a dispute

Thus, reproof is not emotional reaction—it is judicial truth applied to a person’s life.
Contrast Terms

  • Fool — rejects reproof
  • Scorner — hates the reprover
  • Wise man — loves reproof
  • Righteous — sees reproof as kindness
Reproof is God’s corrective truth, spoken to turn a man from destruction to life. It is evidence, argument, confrontation, and mercy—never mere criticism.
 
“Reproof” (תּוֹכֵחָה — tokheḥāh)
(Scripture-only, KJV wording, first‑century lexical precision)

Definition & Lexical Range​

  • Tokheḥāh — “reproof, correction, rebuke, argument, evidence.”Root: יָכַח (yakhaḥ) — “to prove, convince, correct, decide a dispute.”
Meaning layers:
Correction by exposing error
Reasoned argument that proves truthJudicial confrontation
(God or a wise man showing where one stands guilty)
Instruction that restores (not merely condemns)
In Scripture, reproof is always restorative, never petty.

Key Verses Using “Reproof” (KJV)
Quoted directly from the KJV

1. Proverbs 1:23​

“Turn you at my reproof: behold, I will pour out my spirit unto you.” Reproof is tied to repentance and spiritual illumination.

2. Proverbs 6:23​

“Reproofs of instruction are the way of life.” Correction is not optional—it is the path of life itself.

3. Proverbs 9:8​

“Reprove not a scorner, lest he hate thee.” Reproof reveals character: the wise love it; the scorner hates it.

4. Proverbs 10:17​

“He that regardeth reproof is prudent.” Receiving correction is the mark of wisdom.

5. Proverbs 12:1​

“He that hateth reproof is brutish.” Hatred of correction is moral stupidity.

6. Proverbs 13:18​

“He that regardeth reproof shall be honoured.” Reproof is a gateway to honor.

7. Proverbs 15:31​

“The ear that heareth the reproof of life abideth among the wise.” Reproof is life-giving.

8. Proverbs 29:15​

“The rod and reproof give wisdom.” Reproof is paired with discipline—verbal correction plus consequences.

9. Psalm 141:5​

“Let the righteous smite me; it shall be a kindness.” David sees reproof as mercy.

10. 2 Timothy 3:16​

“All scripture… is profitable for doctrine, for reproof.” Reproof is one of Scripture’s primary functions.

Theological Significance of Reproof

Reproof is covenantal mercy
God confronts sin to restore fellowship.

Reproof is the dividing line between the wise and the fool
The wise love reproof.
The fool hates it.
The scorner attacks the one who gives it.

Reproof is the mechanism of sanctification
Scripture reproves; the Spirit reproves; wise men reprove

Reproof is evidence of sonship
Hebrews 12:6 (not quoted fully): God reproves those He loves.

Word Structure: The Yakhaḥ Root
The root yakhaḥ carries judicial weight:
To prove
To correct
To decide a dispute

Thus, reproof is not emotional reaction—it is judicial truth applied to a person’s life.
Contrast Terms

  • Fool — rejects reproof
  • Scorner — hates the reprover
  • Wise man — loves reproof
  • Righteous — sees reproof as kindness
Reproof is God’s corrective truth, spoken to turn a man from destruction to life. It is evidence, argument, confrontation, and mercy—never mere criticism.

Not sure how many word studies you have up your sleeve, but may I suggest one thread on "Word Studies" if there are more?
 
Not sure how many word studies you have up your sleeve, but may I suggest one thread on "Word Studies" if there are more?
yeah, my judgement there was lacking, I agree.
 
yeah, my judgement there was lacking, I agree.

Because there have not been many replies, I think it is not too late to start the new comprehensive thread and C&P the OPs of the other three threads to it and let folks know about the redo, because it seems like it might be an interesting topic, especially for y'all who know Greek.
 
  • Like
Reactions: OMC
Because there have not been many replies, I think it is not too late to start the new comprehensive thread and C&P the OPs of the other three threads to it and let folks know about the redo, because it seems like it might be an interesting topic, especially for y'all who know Greek.
I suspect not many people look into the languages the scripture was originally written in, nor do they realize how significant translations can be on the original meanings. So I really wasn’t expecting any replies. Other than that, apparently I’m the devil now, so lol.
 
I suspect not many people look into the languages the scripture was originally written in, nor do they realize how significant translations can be on the original meanings. So I really wasn’t expecting any replies. Other than that, apparently I’m the devil now, so lol.

Well, I am aware of a handful of folks who occasionally delve into the devil--I mean Greek details.
 
Well, I am aware of a handful of folks who occasionally delve into the devil--I mean Greek details.
hey, hey, now, feelings😊, I am more than willing to debate my case, but those conversations never get to the greek
 
hey, hey, now, feelings😊, I am more than willing to debate my case, but those conversations never get to the greek

Well, I will try to help you find folks to go to Greek with,
I know Paul Thomspon is one, but I am drawing a blank otherwise.