Works of the Law

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Oct 6, 2021
That's what true believers do. They don't excuse sin: they confess it. And look to Christ for the power to overcome it.
But Paul taught, "Without the Law...there can be no sin".
He said this....because "Sin is the transgression of the Law". (1 John 3:4)
But if you are not under the Law...there can be no sin.
If there can be no sin, there is nothing for you to confess....is there?
Which is akin to saying...you have no sin.
(1 John 1:8)...
" If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us."

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
If your upset by what i said, I'm sorry for upsetting you.

I was worried that you may have gone to the other extreem. If you agree with what was said there is no need to take offence.
My point is that we should AIM for sinless perfection through Christ. Not self righteous perfection which is impossible. I said what i did because i was worried you have gone to the other extreem and given up on overcoming the world, given up on obeying the law, given up on serving Jesus because of the evil we are born in.
You can agree or disagree..
Discuss it.
I'm not upset. I just found myself having to defend a position I never took, but one that you assayed to me. You took 1 sentence out of a discussion on sinless perfection. I believe even you would find it difficult to defend the impossibility of sinless perfection without stating that it's not possible.
This happens quite a bit on this site that someone will assume a position for another, leaving the person to defend a position they have never taken.
I'm obviously guilty of the same and am probably just reaping what I have sown.
For the record, I believe we are to strive against sin. We should never accept sin in our lives, but, as already stated in a previous text, we are to acknowledge it before God, ask forgiveness, and seek divine aid in overcoming it.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
Sometimes it helps to make a bible verse read the way people say it reads...to open their eyes. So lets look at the passage below, as it's actually written in the Bible and according to how it should be written to fit your doctrine.

(1 John 3:9-10) Whosoever is born of God does not commit sin; for his seed remains in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil....

But according to what you believe, The word, "NOT" should be removed from this passage. Now let's do that....and see how you read it.

Whosoever is born of God does commit sin; (Why?)...for his seed remains in him: and he can sin, (Why)..because he is born of God. In this the children of God are manifest,...

Honestly now....doesn't your interpretation sound like Blasphemy?
It's a clever word game but not accurate. It is talking about a lifestyle of sin, not particular sins. That's why He goes on to say because His seed remains in Him. Because the Holy Spirit is present, He convicts the believer of sin, grants a Godly sorrow that works in him repentance.
At some point you will have to deal with 1 John 1. The same man who wrote the verse you cited also wrote in the same letter that if we say we have no sin we deceive ourselves. The only explanation that allows for both to be true is the explanation I gave.
Unfortunately, I believe you have been deceived.

Oct 6, 2021
It's a clever word game but not accurate. It is talking about a lifestyle of sin, not particular sins.
It's much more than just a word game. It's very important for you and other believers, to understand that Sin is a sign, a sign as obvious as the Rainbow was to Noah. Only this sign comes from our being born into sin. Sin is a sign which remains in us, until that day comes, when we are Born Again.
I see these teachings very clearly, but, thats probably because my understanding comes from the Holy Spirit. So these teachings may not be as clear to you as they are to me.
So...I don't know if I can, but I'll try to open your eyes, as the spirit has mine.

John is simply repeating the teaching Jesus gave in (John 8:34-35), Where Jesus gives us the Sign, a sign which can give us an absolute assurance of our Salvation.
Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever.
Now according to Jesus, The very Author of Salvation....
How do you know, if you are a Slave to sin?

Jesus tells us very clearly that, "If you sin, you are....a slave to sin".
Therefore...Sin is your sign, a sign which tells you if you are a slave to sin or not.
This sign is there so we will have no excuse on judgement day, will not be able to use the excuse..."I didn't know I was a Slave."
Everyone born into sin, and has not been born of God, carries this sign. A sign that not only tells us if we are a Slave to sin, but when it's removed, it becomes a sign of our salvation.

Brother.....I'm not asking you to believe me, but I'm begging you to believe what Jesus tells you.
According to Jesus, Is the slave a permanent member of the Family of God?
No...
What does Jesus mean by....permanent?
Jesus is referring to those who have been Adopted into the family of God as promised in (John 14:36)..And talked about sometimes in Pauls epistles.
Example....
(Romans 8:14-15) For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
(Romans 6:6-7) Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. For he that is dead is freed from sin.
Paul is a great source, but for now I'm only using him as another reference. Have always found it strange how people need me to confirm the truth of the teachings of Jesus Christ through what Paul taught, but they don't need to confirm to me, what they believe, are the teachings of Paul, through what Jesus taught.

According to Jesus, How did the Sons get free of sin, to receive adoption into the family of God?
(John 8:36) So, if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.
How do they know they have been set free?
Because they no longer sin, for sin is the sign they are a slave to sin.
Many folks, like you, do not believe this, but...Why would someone who is now free to serve God...continue to sin against God, if they have obtained their freedom to serve God??
More confirmation...notice what Paul says below, that which leads to righteousness.
( Romans 6:16-18) Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness? But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you. Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.

Oct 6, 2021
I guess that you have a point in that I don't know them personally, but then again, we don't know you either, right? So by your own method of eliminating teachers, you're out! lol.

No, we compare what they teach with Scripture... and as I've already pointed out, your teaching doesn't align with God's Word.
Looks as though I missed your comment amongst everyone else's.
I'm not asking you to believe me, that's why I teach using multiple witnesses in the Bible teaching what I teach. Whereas many like you, only use Paul...and as you say...It's like Watching a train wreck. LOL

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
As much as I desire to live in a sinless estate, I cannot this side of glory...

It is talking about a lifestyle of sin, not particular sins
Amen! Those who believe they live a sinless, without fault or defect, flawless, absolute perfect life 100% of the time (exactly as Jesus lived) are suffering from a terminal case of self righteousness. (1 John 1:8-10)

1 John 3:9 - No one who is born of God practices sin.. (NASB) The idea of practice is to perform repeatedly or habitually and thus describes repetition or continuous action. This describes the practice as habitual, as one's lifestyle or bent of life. Those who practice sin demonstrate that they have not been born of God. To have weak moments and stumble and sin intermittently is different than making these behaviors a willful, habitual lifestyle with no goal or effort to stop - just bring it on!

1 John 3:9 Commentary - Robertson's Word Pictures in the New Testament

Doeth no sin (αμαρτιαν ου ποιε). Linear present active indicative as in verse 4 like αμαρτανε in verse 8. The child of God does not have the habit of sin.

His seed (σπερμα αυτου). God's seed, "the divine principle of life" (Vincent). Cf. Joh 1.

And he cannot sin (κα ου δυνατα αμαρτανειν). This is a wrong translation, for this English naturally means "and he cannot commit sin" as if it were κα ου δυνατα αμαρτειν or αμαρτησα (second aorist or first aorist active infinitive). The present active infinitive αμαρτανειν can only mean "and he cannot go on sinning," as is true of αμαρτανε in verse 8 and αμαρτανων in verse 6. For the aorist subjunctive to commit a sin see αμαρτητε and αμαρτη in 2:1. A great deal of false theology has grown out of a misunderstanding of the tense of αμαρτανειν here. Paul has precisely John's idea in Romans 6:1 επιμενωμεν τη αμαρτια (shall we continue in sin, present active linear subjunctive) in contrast with αμαρτησωμεν in Romans 6:15 (shall we commit a sin, first aorist active subjunctive).

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
Cameron143 said: As much as I desire to live in a sinless estate, I cannot this side of glory... It is talking about a lifestyle of sin, not particular sins.

Amen! Those who believe they live a sinless, without fault or defect, flawless, absolute perfect life 100% of the time (exactly as Jesus lived) are suffering from a terminal case of self righteousness. (1 John 1:8-10)

1 John 3:9 - No one who is born of God practices sin.. (NASB) The idea of practice is to perform repeatedly or habitually and thus describes repetition or continuous action. This describes the practice as habitual, as one's lifestyle or bent of life. Those who practice sin demonstrate that they have not been born of God. To have weak moments and stumble and sin intermittently is different than making these behaviors a willful, habitual lifestyle with no goal or effort to stop - just bring it on!

Doeth no sin (αμαρτιαν ου ποιε). Linear present active indicative as in verse 4 like αμαρτανε in verse 8. The child of God does not have the habit of sin.

His seed (σπερμα αυτου). God's seed, "the divine principle of life" (Vincent). Cf. Joh 1.

And he cannot sin (κα ου δυνατα αμαρτανειν). This is a wrong translation, for this English naturally means "and he cannot commit sin" as if it were κα ου δυνατα αμαρτειν or αμαρτησα (second aorist or first aorist active infinitive). The present active infinitive αμαρτανειν can only mean "and he cannot go on sinning," as is true of αμαρτανε in verse 8 and αμαρτανων in verse 6. For the aorist subjunctive to commit a sin see αμαρτητε and αμαρτη in 2:1. A great deal of false theology has grown out of a misunderstanding of the tense of αμαρτανειν here. Paul has precisely John's idea in Romans 6:1 επιμενωμεν τη αμαρτια (shall we continue in sin, present active linear subjunctive) in contrast with αμαρτησωμεν in Romans 6:15 (shall we commit a sin, first aorist active subjunctive).

Oct 6, 2021
Cameron143 said: As much as I desire to live in a sinless estate, I cannot this side of glory... It is talking about a lifestyle of sin, not particular sins.

Please tell us...
Why do you find the need to reinterpret a bible, that has already been written into our language?
And why do you feel the need to reteach, what the teachers in the bible have already taught?
Do you believe you and this guy, "Robertson", are better teachers than Jesus and all his disciples put together?

Be warned...
(2 Timothy 2:14)
Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers.

If you want to make your case against what I teach...Use the Bible as your sword, not some foolish commentaries written by foolish men. Which are only meant to undermine the teachers in the bible and their teachings.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
If someone believes they are perfect, there is a need for that person to look closer at the perfect glory of Jesus and see themselves in comparison. We are unable to do good. All glory belongs to God.
Our carnal nature is corrupted and sinful from birth which is why we need to be born again.

Rom 7:5 For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death.
Rom 7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

When self or the flesh has been crucified and the Spirit controls you, we can't sin.
God can't sin.
The Spirit can't sin.
We sin when we try to do things on our own, when self has its way.. we are evil the Spirit is Holy.. we make one our master.
1Jn 5:2-4
2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous. 4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.

The works of the the law are a fruit of the Holy Spirit living in us. Living without sin is the fruit of the Holy Spirit.
By faith we can have the victory.

ThyKingdomComeSoon

Apr 1, 2023
It's a clever word game but not accurate. It is talking about a lifestyle of sin, not particular sins. That's why He goes on to say because His seed remains in Him. Because the Holy Spirit is present, He convicts the believer of sin, grants a Godly sorrow that works in him repentance.
At some point you will have to deal with 1 John 1. The same man who wrote the verse you cited also wrote in the same letter that if we say we have no sin we deceive ourselves. The only explanation that allows for both to be true is the explanation I gave.
Unfortunately, I believe you have been deceived.
Brothers in Christ, What is always accurate are the words of Christ, the son of GOD. He left for us clear instructions enter the kingdom of heaven, it is the path I want to take and will follow.

Blessings all.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
Please tell us...
Why do you find the need to reinterpret a bible, that has already been written into our language?
And why do you feel the need to reteach, what the teachers in the bible have already taught?
Do you believe you and this guy, "Robertson", are better teachers than Jesus and all his disciples put together?

Be warned...
Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers.

If you want to make your case against what I teach...Use the Bible as your sword, not some foolish commentaries written by foolish men. Which are only meant to undermine the teachers in the bible and their teachings.
I am not reinterpreting the Bible or reteaching what the teachers in the Bible have already taught or claiming that Robertson is a better teacher than Jesus and all His disciples. There is no need for these kind of straw man arguments.

You call Robertson a foolish man, yet what do you really know about him? Greek scholar AT Robertson was a renowned scholar of the Greek New Testament and a Christian. Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. The Bible was originally written in Hebrew and Greek, then later translated into English.

I don't appreciate your your slanderous and condescending attitude towards me and after reading several of your posts on Christian Chat, your true colors are becoming more and more obvious. BYW - My post was addressed to Cameron143 and not to you.

Ted01

May 14, 2022
Looks as though I missed your comment amongst everyone else's.
I'm not asking you to believe me, that's why I teach using multiple witnesses in the Bible teaching what I teach. Whereas many like you, only use Paul...and as you say...It's like Watching a train wreck. LOL
Here you are assuming too much and accusing again, like your Father of Lies. It's really ridiculous, but I'd guess that you manage some success in deceiving people.
Why do you assume that I "only use Paul"? LoL... you know nothing of me or about my life and study habits. But Accusers love to accuse and lie because the Truth is not in you, right?

Please tell us...

Be warned...

And here again, in this absurdly, ridiculous post... Jesus/God teaches the disciples learn first and then to teach others, themselves...

Jn. 16:13 (ESV)
When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.

And then, they show us that God is still building up others to teach continually into the future:

Eph. 4:11-13 (ESV)
11 And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers, 12 to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, 13 until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ,

Learning through teachers is the design built by God Himself... and you deny it and ridicule people for following God's design!
You're just like your Father of Lies... a deceiver.

Oct 6, 2021
I am not reinterpreting the Bible or reteaching what the teachers in the Bible have already taught or claiming that Robertson is a better teacher than Jesus and all His disciples. There is no need for these kind of straw man arguments.

You call Robertson a foolish man, yet what do you really know about him? Greek scholar AT Robertson was a renowned scholar of the Greek New Testament and a Christian. Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. The Bible was originally written in Hebrew and Greek, then later translated into English.

I don't appreciate your your slanderous and condescending attitude towards me and after reading several of your posts on Christian Chat, your true colors are becoming more and more obvious. BYW - My post was addressed to Cameron143 and not to you.
I remind you...this is ChristianChat.
People do not come here to learn what this guy "Robertson" taught, but what Jesus taught. I'm sorry this offends you, but if the teachings of Jesus are offensive to you, maybe you shouldn't read what I teach.
I should be offended by your slandering the teachings of Jesus Christ, and his disciples. But since I know you do this out of ignorance, I am not offended. But one day God will take offense to your slander of his Son.

Jesus was sent not only to become a sacrifice for our sins...but he also came into this world with a message of Salvation. A guide of what we must do...to be saved.
Now to have evidence that what I am saying is the Truth...so if you will...answer these two questions.
Do we need to make Jesus our Lord to be saved?
Yes or No
Now if your answer is Yes...
Please tell everyone how you can make Jesus Lord.... without keeping his commandments.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
Brothers in Christ, What is always accurate are the words of Christ, the son of GOD. He left for us clear instructions enter the kingdom of heaven, it is the path I want to take and will follow.

Blessings all.
The whole of scripture is God breathed. No particular author or speaker is more true than another. The reason we have the gospels is because God chose to speak to us through His Son. But the words of the prophets are every bit the word of God as Jesus' own words.
It is also true that the word of God was written in such a way as to be spiritually understood. That means everything isn't going to be apparent by a simple reading of it.
Also, I was addressing someone who believes in a works based gospel and sinless perfection. Both are contrary to the whole of scripture. So as clever as his argument may have seemed, He remains lost and needs to understand why.

Oct 6, 2021
Learning through teachers is the design built by God Himself... and you deny it and ridicule people for following God's design!.
By Gods design?
Well lets look at your argument, and see how it stands up....
We have many different kinds of Christians who call themselves teachers.
We have the teachers of the Catholic church, the Lutheran church, the Episcopal church, the Seventh Day Adventist Church, the Jehovahs witnesses, the Methodist church, the Baptist church, etc..
Now since there is only one truth, one way, and these Churches are divided against each other, it should be obvious to you, not all of these teachers, teach the truth.

Do you still believe this is Gods design?

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
It's much more than just a word game. It's very important for you and other believers, to understand that Sin is a sign, a sign as obvious as the Rainbow was to Noah. Only this sign comes from our being born into sin. Sin is a sign which remains in us, until that day comes, when we are Born Again.
I see these teachings very clearly, but, thats probably because my understanding comes from the Holy Spirit. So these teachings may not be as clear to you as they are to me.
So...I don't know if I can, but I'll try to open your eyes, as the spirit has mine.

John is simply repeating the teaching Jesus gave in (John 8:34-35), Where Jesus gives us the Sign, a sign which can give us an absolute assurance of our Salvation.
Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever.
Now according to Jesus, The very Author of Salvation....
How do you know, if you are a Slave to sin?

Jesus tells us very clearly that, "If you sin, you are....a slave to sin".
Therefore...Sin is your sign, a sign which tells you if you are a slave to sin or not.
This sign is there so we will have no excuse on judgement day, will not be able to use the excuse..."I didn't know I was a Slave."
Everyone born into sin, and has not been born of God, carries this sign. A sign that not only tells us if we are a Slave to sin, but when it's removed, it becomes a sign of our salvation.

Brother.....I'm not asking you to believe me, but I'm begging you to believe what Jesus tells you.
According to Jesus, Is the slave a permanent member of the Family of God?
No...
What does Jesus mean by....permanent?
Jesus is referring to those who have been Adopted into the family of God as promised in (John 14:36)..And talked about sometimes in Pauls epistles.
Example....
(Romans 8:14-15) For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
(Romans 6:6-7) Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. For he that is dead is freed from sin.
Paul is a great source, but for now I'm only using him as another reference. Have always found it strange how people need me to confirm the truth of the teachings of Jesus Christ through what Paul taught, but they don't need to confirm to me, what they believe, are the teachings of Paul, through what Jesus taught.

According to Jesus, How did the Sons get free of sin, to receive adoption into the family of God?
(John 8:36) So, if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.
How do they know they have been set free?
Because they no longer sin, for sin is the sign they are a slave to sin.
Many folks, like you, do not believe this, but...Why would someone who is now free to serve God...continue to sin against God, if they have obtained their freedom to serve God??
More confirmation...notice what Paul says below, that which leads to righteousness.
( Romans 6:16-18) Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness? But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you. Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.
Apparently, the focus on sin has hindered your understanding of a slave, or servant. Consider the contrast offered to help discern the meaning. What is the difference between a slave and a son, in regard to obedience?

Apr 25, 2023
Why do you believe Paul taught, "Not by Works, but by Grace", when Jesus Christ didn't?
Why do you believe Pauls teachings on "Grace", are foundational teachings, when in the Gospel of Christ, Jesus never even said the word?

Its very important, especially in these days of globally excepted immorality, for all believers to discernibly understand why Paul taught it.
He is continuing the theme of Jesus' law: to love God and each other.

The law does not cause love, it causes condemnation and death (2 Corinthians 3:1-18) and if you look at your own wording here what you're actually calling righteousness is just intolerance and hate... your own soul is not filled with love, you are not partaking of the covenant Christ provides.

ThyKingdomComeSoon

Apr 1, 2023
The whole of scripture is God breathed. No particular author or speaker is more true than another. The reason we have the gospels is because God chose to speak to us through His Son. But the words of the prophets are every bit the word of God as Jesus' own words.
It is also true that the word of God was written in such a way as to be spiritually understood. That means everything isn't going to be apparent by a simple reading of it.
Also, I was addressing someone who believes in a works based gospel and sinless perfection. Both are contrary to the whole of scripture. So as clever as his argument may have seemed, He remains lost and needs to understand why.
Hi cameron I dont believe works do save neither do I believe in sinless perfection except for Christ himself who was sinless , unless i am wrong I dont think the others of this thread do so. Some make a point based on scripture that works are the result of faith and simply to do the best one can to help out our fellow man based on Christ command to love one another. As for the law ( the 10 commandments) Jesus was clear about following the commandments not the way the pharisee did but with using our hearts and Love GOD and our fellow man, basically to do to others what we would like for others to do to us as simple as that. And Jesus said it perfectly;

Mat 22:36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
Mat 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
Mat 22:38 This is the first and great commandment.
Mat 22:39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Mat 22:40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

It is not an easy path in this world but we must try and do our very best,

Blessings.

ThyKingdomComeSoon

Apr 1, 2023

Sorry for my ignorance but who is this robertson guy?

Thanks

Ted01

May 14, 2022
By Gods design?
Well lets look at your argument, and see how it stands up....
We have many different kinds of Christians who call themselves teachers.
We have the teachers of the Catholic church, the Lutheran church, the Episcopal church, the Seventh Day Adventist Church, the Jehovahs witnesses, the Methodist church, the Baptist church, etc..
Now since there is only one truth, one way, and these Churches are divided against each other, it should be obvious to you, not all of these teachers, teach the truth.

Do you still believe this is Gods design?
See, this is the type of talk of a Deceiver...

I said that God has a design that's in Scripture... and you compare it to man(kind)'s design, suggesting that it's God's design that I was talking about.
You really are a handful...