Would love other people's perspective-why does God give me mixed signals regarding my career?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Aug 4, 2021
Hey, I was hoping to hear people's perspectives regarding my career in which God has given me really mixed signals about. I have a burning desire to do both things and pretty much am conflicted about it daily because no doors have opened and i'm already 31. I appreciate the time you take to read and reply!

1. Am I called to law or not?
I ended up becoming Christian after dropping out of law school and felt called to go back into law. I just couldn't stop thinking about going back to law school even though I was against becoming a lawyer at that time. When I told my mom about this, she told me that she believed that Heaven provided for me (she's not sure if she believes in God) and that I am meant to do law because that year my dad made money from his stocks which happened to be the exact amount for all my expenses for the first year of law school. After I dropped out, my dad would continue to tell me I was meant to do law, that it was my destiny, that even though I didn't want to do law, it was the path "Heaven" had carved out for me. When strangers meet me, many of them end up asking me if I'm a lawyer and when I say no, they usually tell me to be one. I had a dream two years after I dropped out of law school and my Christian friend who was gifted in that told me God wanted me to go back to law school (I didn't necessarily feel that way). I told God if he gave me a very clear sign to go back to law school, I would immediately study hard and apply. I never got that sign, so I decided not to apply, but strangers that I meet still ask me if I'm a lawyer and I still have a desire to be a lawyer and it pretty much has never stopped haunting me.

2. Am I called to do music or not?
After I fully gave up on law, I miraculously got a teaching music position and that's how I got back into my enthusiasm for music and fell in love with writing songs. Two months later, I believe God tells me to quit which is pretty much confirmed by the CEO herself, who is Christian and said she didn't feel like God wanted me at her company anymore. I basically am at a crisis at that point of my life because I notice God has pretty much closed all the doors to my career so I ask him what does he want me to do. He told me he wanted me to sing and pretty much continue writing songs. A couple months later I started to lose my voice so I couldn't record the songs I wrote and it's been 4 years since then. 31 is really old for the music industry (i write both secular and Christian music) and I have tried to give up this dream and pretty much kill this desire for about an entire year unsuccessfully. At this point I don't know what God wants from me, and I really just feel like I'm wasting my life away.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Maybe you could be an agent for aspiring musicians. You could use your law skills in negotiating contracts for singers / songwriters.

Feb 16, 2017
Hey, I was hoping to hear people's perspectives regarding my career in which God has given me really mixed signals about. I have a burning desire to do both things and pretty much am conflicted about it daily because no doors have opened and i'm already 31. I appreciate the time you take to read and reply!

I ended up becoming Christian after dropping out of law school and felt called to go back into law. I just couldn't stop thinking about going back to law school even though I was against becoming a lawyer at that time. When I told my mom about this, she told me that she believed that Heaven provided for me (she's not sure if she believes in God) and that I am meant to do law because that year my dad made money from his stocks which happened to be the exact amount for all my expenses for the first year of law school. After I dropped out, my dad would continue to tell me I was meant to do law, that it was my destiny, that even though I didn't want to do law, it was the path "Heaven" had carved out for me. When strangers meet me, many of them end up asking me if I'm a lawyer and when I say no, they usually tell me to be one. I had a dream two years after I dropped out of law school and my Christian friend who was gifted in that told me God wanted me to go back to law school (I didn't necessarily feel that way). I told God if he gave me a very clear sign to go back to law school, I would immediately study hard and apply. I never got that sign, so I decided not to apply, but strangers that I meet still ask me if I'm a lawyer and I still have a desire to be a lawyer and it pretty much has never stopped haunting me.

After I fully gave up on law, I miraculously got a teaching music position and that's how I got back into my enthusiasm for music and fell in love with writing songs. Two months later, I believe God tells me to quit which is pretty much confirmed by the CEO herself, who is Christian and said she didn't feel like God wanted me at her company anymore. I basically am at a crisis at that point of my life because I notice God has pretty much closed all the doors to my career so I ask him what does he want me to do. He told me he wanted me to sing and pretty much continue writing songs. A couple months later I started to lose my voice so I couldn't record the songs I wrote and it's been 4 years since then. 31 is really old for the music industry (i write both secular and Christian music) and I have tried to give up this dream and pretty much kill this desire for about an entire year unsuccessfully. At this point I don't know what God wants from me, and I really just feel like I'm wasting my life away.

You are trying to find your identity based on "becoming something".

A believer is in the world but not of it.
Its the world that needs you to prove yourself as some type of "position".

Its like this..... Lets say You ask someone you just met........."So, tell me about yourself".
And they say something peculiar..
They say....>"well, im a doctor"....."im a plumber"......"im a teacher"......"im a this, or that, or : they name the title"
See that?
They have answered you.........."im my career choice".
So, is that the person?
They think so....

"I am what i do".......>"i sleep in a garage therefore i must be a car".
"i have big ears and i like to wear a gray suit, so i must be an elephant".
"i'm a man who has cut off my genitals, so, now im a woman".

See the issue?
People get caught up in : "i have to have an answer for myself, because they are going to ask me and shame me if i dont have a good one".

And that is the issue. The issue is.....>"im too concerned with what people think, so, that is my prison bars".

So, here is your answer.
Do what you want to do, that you can do well, that helps other people the most.
Be that person, till you die.
Have you considered the Health Care Industry?

And regarding a music career.......If you are doing music so that you will be recognized and get all the acclaim, then you are not doing it for God, so, pass on that one.... till you see it differently.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016

God wants your soul saved and His Gospel preached so others may find salvation. The Words in the Bible are your guide. You can choose whichever path but your mission never changes.

Dymes

Dec 11, 2016
1. When I told my mom about this, she told me that she believed that Heaven provided for me (she's not sure if she believes in God) and that I am meant to do law because that year my dad made money from his stocks which happened to be the exact amount for all my expenses for the first year of law school.

2. I told God if he gave me a very clear sign to go back to law school, I would immediately study hard and apply. I never got that sign, so I decided not to apply, but strangers that I meet still ask me if I'm a lawyer and I still have a desire to be a lawyer and it pretty much has never stopped haunting me.

3. I basically am at a crisis at that point of my life because I notice God has pretty much closed all the doors to my career so I ask him what does he want me to do. He told me he wanted me to sing and pretty much continue writing songs.

4. 31 is really old for the music industry (i write both secular and Christian music) and I have tried to give up this dream and pretty much kill this desire for about an entire year unsuccessfully. At this point I don't know what God wants from me, and I really just feel like I'm wasting my life away.
First off how much time do you spend in Gods word and in prayer?

Second, never accuse God of sending mixed signals as if He is some double minded teenager. He is never the problem, it's always us. You are either reading things wrong or just putting too much thought in them altogether.

I'll point out a few red flags I saw in your message.

1. If I had to say, your mom is not a true Christian if she doesn't even know if she believes in God. Therefore the spirit does not dwell in her. Which means I wouldn't listen to her as she "interprets" Gods signs from heaven. I can see how you could interpret the money your Dad got as a sign, but I'll tell you a brief story about me "seeking for signs". Years ago when I became a Christian I realized I couldn't have a bunch of women any more. Well I knew a couple whom I thought was wife material. But how to choose between the 2? Well I began talking to one and it wasn't going well. When it was seeming like it was about to fall apart for good, the other girl text me out of no where. This was crazy because I had not heard from her in maybe a year! We only talked briefly. 2 or 3 weeks later I was really confused and thinking similar to you. Why would God have both in my life at the same time? So I prayed for direction on if she was the one or should I stop talking to her and pursue the other one. Within an hour the other girl that I had not heard from in a year called! In my mind this was a clear sign that she was the one. So I pursued her. I kept studying God and then studying Godly marriage. It dawned on me that I wasn't supposed to marry a non Christian. And though this girl I was pursuing was GREAT she wasn't truly a Christian and therefore I couldn't marry her nor should I even pursue her! But what about the sign? Later someone told me that the devil also hears prayers and he knows your desires. And as the Bible says he will turn into an angel of light and works signs as well. That's why all things must be tested by scripture. I don't care what the sign is, it doesn't mean it's from God just because it "on time". Gods Word always trumps any "sign".

2. This is common sense. If you never got the sign, then what is there to even discuss? This sorta reminds me of Saul in the Old Testament. He was told to wait for Samuel before he did anything. Well in Saul's mind Samuel was taking too long and Saul took matters into his own hands. He disobeyed Samuels orders and it was the beginning of his fall. All he had to do is stick to what he was told. But when stuff don't go as we think it should, we start doing our own thing.

3. You say God told you to sing. Well if that is true you sing! How is this hard? God promised Abraham children as many as the stars. And as soon as he got the 1st one God tells Abraham to kill him! Seems like a contradiction huh lol But Abraham had to trust in what God said, and be obedient to the command. Be Obedient!

4. You seem to have made the mistake in thinking just because God want you to sing that he want you to be a big success. Gods definition of success is not our definition of success. Jesus was the greatest person and greatest preacher of all time. Yet He was the most hated and was killed at age 33. In Gods eyes Jesus was a success. Jesus hand choose the apostles. You think they would have long successful careers as pastors and enjoyed a long happy life. Wrong, all but one was brutally murdered. Not to mention all the 1st century martyrs who were tortured for Christ sake. God holds them in high regard and calls their lives a success. God may want you to just sing at church, or even at other local churches. You may never be a big name, you may even just barely scrape by. Then would singing be worth it to you? You sing for His glory, and His glory comes at a cost to yours. We are to decrease so that He increases. John 3:30

I don't know if you are call to be a lawyer or not. I'm not completely sure God told you something regarding singing. The fact that you still make secular songs is also a red flag. I know God doesn't approve of that. That doesn't give Him glory at all. In short I'll say do what you truly want to do. You can glorify God in either career path. Which ever you choose, keep God 1st, He will still use you. Im always open to chat. Sorry if anything I said came off rude, that wasn't the intent.