Would You Date Your Parents' Friends?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Hey everyone,

Just thought I'd get some opinions here... I know there have been several threads about age differences when dating... but, how does everyone feel when push comes to shove?

What I mean is, I placed a personal ad on a small, Christian dating site... wrote a few short emails to a few guys in my age range (which I consider to be about five years, up or down... not as a hard and fast rule but in general) who sounded interesting, fun, and had some common hobbies... and heard back from none of them.

But do you want to know about the guys who wrote me, saying they'd "love to share the Word" or "pray" with me? So far the ages have been 46, 54, and 57.

Come on!!! 57??? (I'm 35.) Please forgive me for not exactly believing they just want to be a good Christian friend to me.

But I know to some people, that wouldn't be a problem. Everyone has their own personal preference (a close friend of mine used to ONLY date guys 10-30 years older than herself.)

As for me, I prefer guys "within my own age range" because:
1. I see way too many men leaving their wives for much younger women (I'm NOT trying to bash guys here, I'm just saying that I personally see it a lot--my own ex-husband left me for someone about 5 years younger when I was married 12 years ago).
2. I would like to give other women hope that they can find a good Christian guy within their own age ranges, too.
3. I've been hit on by men old enough to be my Dad and Grandpa starting when I was about 12 years old (including a teacher at a parochial school), so please forgive me if I just can't seem to get past that and can't find that attention flattering at all.

Some of my friends tell me I'm being to picky or judgmental... I like to say, there's such a thing as being judgmental, which God doesn't want us to do... and using good judgment, which He does want us to do. And the last time I caved in to their criticisms about "not being open-minded enough" or a "Christian snob", I wound up with an alcoholic (8 years older) and was raising his two children because he couldn't do it himself.

And just out of curiosity... why is it that so many people nowadays (I know it can be both men and women--I'm not trying to pick on just the men here) are dating people so much younger or older?

What do you all think? And if anyone out there has dated someone 20 years older or younger than themselves, please let me know how it went. I know it works out for some people and I'd love to hear your story.

Please share your thoughts, opinions, and experiences.

M

Matthew

I have never had a relationship with an older woman but I will say of the serious attractions I have felt in my life all but one of them has been for an older woman, and in one case the gap was 20 years, I've always known why I have been drawn to older women, it's simply because they are more mature, they recognise that not liking what everyone else my age likes doesn't mean I'm boring but rather just that I don't fall into line with the masses and have different interests that aren't so obvious like partying etc.

Society does seem to be becoming more open and experimental in regards to personal relationships, there are a lot of examples of this causing problems, there's too much openness about sex and it's so casual etc....but there are good sides to people being more open and that is that maybe they are considering things that never seemed like an option, relationships with age gaps seem to be becoming less of an issue for a lot of people and in general I think that is a good thing.

A lot of people aren't necessarily in line with their own age group and have different interests and attitiudes to things, but they might be right in step with people of a different age group, physical age has no bearing on personality development so I think age gaps in relationships shouldn't be any barrier.

Jan 8, 2009
Dating your paren'ts friends certainly has the ewww factor about it. Women who date much older men usually need a father figure in their life thats why they do it.

O

oopsies

I have no idea. I personally wouldn't date someone THAT much older than myself!

J0Y

Mar 7, 2009
Ok.....LOL

I do NOT want to marry a guy who I will be booking a room for in 5 yrs time at the local Resthome! Likewise, I dont wanna marry a guy who has no life experience and is still rather immature.

The idea of an old wrinkly man going for a young 20-30 something is just plain GROSS!!!!

I dont think I have an ideal age range, but I know that I would NOT go higher than 5-7 years (Im 35) cos well, Im not gunna marry a guy who has more in common with my Dad than me!

As for younger....well....my only boyfriend was younger...not by much, but yeah. So, as for younger its more about similar lifespace, goals, commitment and maturity. So...umm....I dunno what I would define here.

So, yeah, not really answering your question that well....but....if he is a 'Frosty Boy' (Grey and aged) he aint goin anywhere with me! hahahaha. ;) That just screams sugar daddy...and that is sooooooo not attractive to me!!

L

Leilaii425

my dads 46 year old married friend wants to date me... thats a big negative from me

Feb 27, 2007
My brother married a woman 10 years older than him and my brother in law married a woman 10 years older than him. I see both couples as a couple not as their age as their love is real. I think people are finding it so hard to find someone compatable that you have to almost open yourself up to a larger age span. Personally, as far as the 57 year old who wants to pray for you... perhaps it just is what it is, a brother in Christ who wants to pray for you unless he's given you some other reason to think that his intention is other than fellowship in Christ. I've developed 2 great friendships here and would hate to think for a minute that there was anything in their mind other than fellowship in the Lord.

Feb 27, 2007
my dads 46 year old married friend wants to date me... thats a big negative from me
couple of big negatives lol "dads friend" for one & married!!! eieiei what is he thinking & how did you find this out? wait, i dont even wanna know!

windspirit

Aug 19, 2009
I personally try to keep the age factor to a five year range, it simply makes sense and seems safe. *Equally Yoked of course!

I really don't want to date someone younger than myself, because I don't want it to look like I won them in a raffle! LOL Nor do I want to look like a raffle prize. *grin... I believe that when its right, God will definitely let you know. Until then, I will wait on the Lords timing and His will for my life fully contented in every way. I may joke about this subject in chat, but I have no hesitation about wanting Gods will to be prevalent in my life.

If God has me waiting until the last year or month of my life, I believe it will be worth it, for it will be blessed by God and in His will. "Until" God tells me differently or makes my heart jump out of my chest at the sight of someone, I like just where God has me!

It will happen, just hasn't yet. :)
~ Blessings, Jillyanna~

C

Cobblepot

The thought of dating anyone old enough to have given birth to me scrapes across the ol' neurons like ten gallons of lukewarm oysters in a garbage bag.

Paging Dr. Freud.

Jun 4, 2006
Come on!!! 57??? (I'm 35.) Please forgive me for not exactly believing they just want to be a good Christian friend to me.
You should totally introduce me! jk (I guess that would be more like dating my grandparent's friends not my parents)

:X haha.
That is slightly creepy...