Would you do LARP?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
G

Gamervity

I'm quite surprised no one here posted about this. Oh don't worry it's not anything dangerous...?

So a question here since I'm back from a good maybe year or so, what's your opinion on LARP?

I discovered this by accident while scrolling on YouTube and found it intriguing.

For those who have never heard the term:

LARP stands for live action role play, similar to your standard rpgs, except with doing it in real life. (Some could say like playing pretend for grown-ups) I read a bunch of infromation online reguarding it, so it seems to be similar to a sport.

There also seems to be many different types of larp including hunger games, typical medieval settings, sci-fi, star wars, etc. And upon these different types typically they take place I'm a building or your average park, forest, or an area.

People would often costume up, role-play, and even camp out in these events. Sometimes battles even occur. Combat is relayed using latex weapons or boffer weapons. (Weapons are latexed and boffers are usually foam) This is for safety reasons.

It's rather hard to explain it, due to the facts I'm new to the concept as well. (Despite researching for roughly a month)

I recommend YouTube and searching about it.

Would you do LARP? Why or why not? Have any of you heard this term before today? Have any of you gone to one before? Anyone interested in trying it out?

-Gamerity

May 8, 2015
Yea! I would totally LARP, because it sounds awesome! I've heard about it some, but I enjoy playing normal RPGs so LARP is totally something that's on my list to try. XD

Consumed

Jun 4, 2015
I'd do it cuz I'm a nerd

J

JeniBean

I'm not a teen...But my teen does it!!! It's good clean fun! I would totally do it if I had the time!

C

CarolSampaio

LARP??? WHERE??? WHEN???

I'M IN!!!!

C

CarolSampaio

wooohooooo!!!!! We almost have a ring fellowship
My preciousssss....

I have Sting!!! And Anduril!!! And Legolas's knives!!! Should I bring them?????????

I'M IN!!!! :D

Jenizona

Aug 8, 2015
Hello! I'm not a teen, but I have experience with role-play so thought I'd jump in and respond! People need to be VERY careful when they roleplay, either live-action or on line, because sexual things very easily creep into it. And when you're playing "someone else," not yourself, there becomes a permissive environment about it that can so easily lead people to "roleplay" romantic or sexual scenarios. I've known several Christians who have gotten involved in such things, and it's a very, very slippery slope, so I would advice to proceed with extreme caution! And perhaps the best thing is not to become involved in all.

C

CarolSampaio

Wow!! But if you are roleplaying something like LotR, why involve sexual stuff? You have so much to explore, like adventures, and battles, and loot, and magical items, and the world itself... it's just silly to want to explore sensual stuff... you don't really need larp for that... just get a boyfriend or girlfriend and go have dinner and to the movies...

But... maybe that's just me...

Jenizona

Aug 8, 2015
I agree! I'm just warning people who are curious about it, stuff that I've witnessed first-hand. Playing with a group of Christians might be a good way to go! Or better yet, just get together and watch the movies on Blu-Ray lol.

Nov 30, 2012
I LARP once a month. I love it. But I agree, stay away from "adult LARPs". Most LARPs have a fade to black rule, but many don't. If you think about LARPing ask about their "fade to black" rules.

Jenizona

Aug 8, 2015
I LARP once a month. I love it. But I agree, stay away from "adult LARPs". Most LARPs have a fade to black rule, but many don't. If you think about LARPing ask about their "fade to black" rules.
Exactly! I was afraid people were starting to think I was making this up lol... I just started to Google it and was going to post a link, but to be honest... it was more of a "how-to" guide, and that creeped me out and definitely not going to post that. Just take our word for it, this stuff exists, avoid it at all costs.

Syndarin

Nov 21, 2017
Fantasy world or fantasy LARPing is spiritually dangerous, please don't do it, because all magic is outright Satanic, and that's an important part of fantasy world RPGs. (like in game powers, supernatural powers not from God..)

I used to go LARPing, and I used to be big into the fantasy lifestyle before I had to drop it for God, so..yeah..

Nov 25, 2019
There are a lot of people who LARP as Christians

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
This is a 4 year old thread. The OP and most of the responders are no longer here..