Would you hit (or spank) your children?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
G

Groundhog

I hit (and spank) everybody because if it's good enough for kids, it's good enough for adults too. I think it sends a good message too: don't do something wrong, or else I'm gonna hit you.

O

oopsies

But you can get arrested o_O

Mar 18, 2009
Well, first of all, I agree with Grace, whatever you do, do it with the right frame of reference (break their will, not their spirit)....i could not have said it that well, but it is also what I think. That said, I definitely spanked my daughter growing up. And you know what, she is a respectable teenager now. And I highly highly resent ANYONE who would tell me I should not spank her. (She is 15 now and she doesn't NEED to be spanked, but if she needed it, I would DEFINITELY still do it, and I hope that gets somebody on here upset! ;)). But I see "Christian girls" at our church every Sunday who were given time-outs and the like and now they think the whole world revolves around them! I equate it with people telling me she has a right to abortion or being taught safe-sex in school. Just because the pop psychologists in our world are giving up on our kids, I am not giving up on my daughter.

T

Tisha

Ok before I say anything I am married but have no children. So with that statement here is my opinion I think that spanking a child should not be a main form of punishment. My reasoning on this statement is the fact that my grandparents raised me and I recieved multiple so called spanking which resulted in bruises across my hands, the backs of my legs and some across the back. I was spanked with a ruler,spatula,wooden and plasic spoons, remote controls, belts, switches, the end of a metal fly swatter or whatever my grandmother could grab a hold of. I was also popped in the mouth which resulted in a busted lip and on the arm for things that I should have got in trouble for but didn't deserve that kind of punishment. I remember one time my grandmother told me that if i didn't dust right she would spank me and because I happened to glance at my grandfather she slapped me across the face and said don't look at him. Some of the things that I did do when I was younger did deserve a punishment but not a spanking. My father in law spanked my husband every once in a while when needed but not always he mainly would sit his children down and give them a stern talking too. I personally would hate for my father in law to sit me down and give me a stern talking to but i'm sure if he thought it was needed he would if I had done something childish. I did turn out to be an alright person but I feel I would have responded better to someone sitting me down and talking to me than just spanking me whenever someone thought I needed a spanking. So all in all I'm not saying I won't ever spank my children when I do have them I'm not saying that I am saying I will spank them if other punishments do not work.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2009
This forum looks like it is a little old, but i have really strong feelings on this! I had very strict parents, and I was spanked a lot until my early teenage years. I started rebelling, and got into a lot of trouble as a young person, had a daughter young, with no husband, and swore Id NEVER spank her. But my about 10 she was out of control. All of the "experts" gave me these different things to try, but they did not work. I started spanking her, and guys things got better. I stopped about 2 years ago not because I decided she was too old, but because she didn't need it anymore.

All of the experts are using theories that grounded in the understanding we have right now about psychology. Most of it will be outdated in 5o years just like what was popular 50 years ago is outdated today. But the one thing that is NOT outdated is the Word of the Lord and it does NOT mix words. Spare the rod, spoil the child. PERIOD. The fact that we are so resistant to that today makes me believe we are straying farther and farther from the moral righteousness of God.

H

heaven72883

Wow this is a hard one to answer but as much as i love kids i could not hit my child.. I would punish them by taking away their favorite toy or use alternative methods but I do not think hitting is the best way.... I have seen kids who have been hit and now think hitting and fighting is what it is all about... makes them aggressive!

T

tryingtofindhim

I am 16 and don't have kids but I can tell from a child's view. My parents spanked me and I will tell you i fear them. My parents threaten me by saying they will beat the hell out of me if I do something (in the name of discipline according to the Bible) wrong or against what they want. So I try not talk to them and we have a horrible relationship. just my two cents :)

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
I am 16 and don't have kids but I can tell from a child's view. My parents spanked me and I will tell you i fear them. My parents threaten me by saying they will beat the hell out of me if I do something (in the name of discipline according to the Bible) wrong or against what they want. So I try not talk to them and we have a horrible relationship. just my two cents :)
Im sorry that they have made you so afraid. We did spank our children when they were young. But it was only for disapline when they had done someting harmful to themselves or another or a serious offence. Then it was done with a quiet serious attitude with first explaining why. They never recieved more than one or two swats. We would then make sure that they knew we loved them still. I have never supported spanking with anger or as a common solution. Also by age 7 or 8 they never had to be spanked. A child should never be afraid of the parent. They should fear only the punishment.
God bless, pickles

C

ChristopherMichael

All of the experts are using theories that grounded in the understanding we have right now about psychology. Most of it will be outdated in 5o years just like what was popular 50 years ago is outdated today. But the one thing that is NOT outdated is the Word of the Lord and it does NOT mix words. Spare the rod, spoil the child. PERIOD. The fact that we are so resistant to that today makes me believe we are straying farther and farther from the moral righteousness of God.
Agreed! I went to two different elementary/middle shool systems in the deep south, the exact same except one use corporal punishment an done didn't. The one that did has perfectly well-behaved kids who got good grades. The one that didn't had gang, drug, and sex problems. The latter one had the child pyschologists and crazy parents on their sides, but I know how I'm going to run my house.

God bless you!
- Topher

Oct 30, 2009
Proverbs 13:24 He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is careful to discipline him.

I believe personally we have the right to spank our children but not in anger. We need to calm down and do it with the intent of love just as God disciplines us out of love and not Anger.
Spanking doesn't mean you hate your kid you juts love them and want them not to be like you have been and or not to do stuff which would be against Gods own will for their life.

B

BobbyJoe

There are many ways to correct a child indeed. When I was in grade school way back when if you got in a fight at school you broke a rule and the teacher might break his or her ruler over your knuckles or send you to the principale who would use an electric paddle on ya. My dad died when 3 of my brothers and sisters were still in diapers. Mom whipped us when we got way out of line, some times she did it while she was mad as all get out. She had to do it then for it to take effect on the just pass offense if she would have waited till she cooled off we would have won the victory in a sense. I tell ya I wish my mother had whipped us more than she did. It would have had better results later on. She would not of had as bad as time with us had she whipped us more. I no of kids who never get wiped or punished when need be and they are jail birds dead of drugs or what have yu. But if a person knows how to deal with a child from its mothers womb up it may never need a whipping nor much correction. Even Jesus learned obedience by the things he suffered. Hebrews 5.8

T

tryingtofindhim

I have sworn to myself over and over if I ever have kids I'll never strike them. I'm pretty sure if I did that; I'd kill myself. I can't stand bringing my children under what I was dealt; its not fair to them.

W

wwjd_kilden

the bible was written in harsher times

it says to sell your shirt and buy a sword.... should we do that too? ... of course not, we don't need a literal sword, and neither do we have to flog our children - (yes, spanking them with a rod could easily be flogging, at least if done in anger)...

T

tryingtofindhim

the bible was written in harsher times

it says to sell your shirt and buy a sword.... should we do that too? ... of course not, we don't need a literal sword, and neither do we have to flog our children - (yes, spanking them with a rod could easily be flogging, at least if done in anger)...
I totally agree!

C

carpetmanswife

Exactly right ,i think thats whats wrong with many kids today,no a spanking isnt always necessary do try alternatives but there are times when it is necessary, the thing to remember is there is a big difference between discipline and abuse, spanking is dicipline...beating is not.

W

wwjd_kilden

then what about those of us who grew up, without ever being spanked. are we all spoiled?

T

tryingtofindhim

Exactly right ,i think thats whats wrong with many kids today,no a spanking isnt always necessary do try alternatives but there are times when it is necessary, the thing to remember is there is a big difference between discipline and abuse, spanking is dicipline...beating is not.
Hitting a child with a rod is abuse and is not in the Bible. The Bible treated women bad, killed kids who talked back to their parents. I don't think we want to do that. Spanking doesn't teach anything at all just for children to behave out of fear.

W

wwjd_kilden

perhaps she has a sword hanging beside the rod...